Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intoner
Oct 3, 2014

I'm not teasing you.. I'm murdering you!

Thanatosian posted:

Yeah, that's hella creepy.

The strategy you're looking for is "sever," which is so oft-repeated on these forums that it's a cliche/meme/in-joke. Cut him off completely; aside from what is required for disentangling your living arrangements, no phone, no email, delete him from all of your social media, etc. Maybe you can be friends after awhile (at least several months), but for now there's just too much hosed-up-ness between you for it to end in any way but disaster.

Also, save that crazy letter, and start documenting everything, just in case you need it in order to get a protective order (wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, dude sounds crazy). If you're not, get in the habit of locking your deadbolt, too.

Pixelated Dragon posted:

You need to become a negative vortex of non-communication because this guy seems delusional. If you smile sympathetically at him, he'll start planning the wedding.

Tell him you are 100% not comfortable with him living in the same building...

I’ve been living in the new appartment for over a week now and on Sunday I moved all my stuff. Until now things have been pretty quiet between my ex and me, the few times we talked were because of stuff that’s still in the old flat and when we’ll give the keys back to our landlord. Most of our conversations are over Facebook, that way I have a log of what’s been said.

I’ve told him that I don’t want to live in the same building as him, but he kept saying it was the only appartment he could’ve gotten in that short time (yeah right..).
He invited me to his birthday party and I said I won’t be coming. Unexpectedly he understood why, he noticed how tense the athmosphere has been the last time.

I won’t put my hopes too high, but maybe sometime in the far future we could be friends again, but right now we won’t be talking to each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Craptacular! posted:

appointment gaming.

Good way to put it. It's why I barely play multiplayer games anymore. When I was a bored 15 year old, I would play Tribes all day during the summer. Then when Half Life came along I started playing Day of Defeat and Counterstrike with a handful of people on the regular.
Now I'm at the point in my life where I have zero interest in playing multiplayer games with strangers, but my real life friends have either moved on from online games or I don't keep in contact with. Playing with goons is a nice compromise. Hop on the mumble and join the :10bux: crew stomping pubbies in any game.

Now my favorite kind of games are those that can be paused at a moment's notice. I much prefer single player or coop games, especially games like Civilization or Total War. I don't really want to make any "online friends" or ever have a time commitment from a video game start hitting my real life. It's nice to be able to spread out a game 20-30 minutes at a time over the course of a month.

It's also frustrating too that games like Battlefield 4 tie the "good" guns behind a series of virtual chores. Get 200 kills with the starting rifle, be rewarded with a gun that is objectively better in every single way. By the way, everyone you're trying to kill already has the better gun, so hopefully you get the jump on them!

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Intoner posted:

I’ve been living in the new appartment for over a week now and on Sunday I moved all my stuff. Until now things have been pretty quiet between my ex and me, the few times we talked were because of stuff that’s still in the old flat and when we’ll give the keys back to our landlord. Most of our conversations are over Facebook, that way I have a log of what’s been said.

I’ve told him that I don’t want to live in the same building as him, but he kept saying it was the only appartment he could’ve gotten in that short time (yeah right..).
He invited me to his birthday party and I said I won’t be coming. Unexpectedly he understood why, he noticed how tense the athmosphere has been the ast time.

I won’t put my hopes too high, but maybe sometime in the far future we could be friends again, but right now we won’t be talking to each other.

Sever completely. You still, very obviously, have feelings for him and are in denial. There's nothing wrong with having those feelings, it means you're a nice person who cares about him! But he also very obviously has insane, stalkerish, feelings for you and enabling his creepy weirdo behavior with any attention whatsoever is the kind of behavior that can lead to being a murder victim. He's obsessed with you. You will probably never be actual friends again and as long as you let him he'll follow you like a sick puppy dog. Which he isn't; he's a grown adult with creepy obsession problems. Even all the "quitting" garbage is just him trying to win you back and he'll relapse in a second when he thinks it won't work or, god forbid you make this awful hell decision, he actually gets what he wants from you. Get your things, turn in your key, tell him to gently caress off and block him on every form of communication forever. If he shows up at your apartment call the police. You will absolutely, 100% feel better than letting a fat baby manchild lead you on and keep messing with your feelings.

There is a very wild, possibly dangerous, reptilian part of his brain making him stick with all of these obsessive pursuits and follow you so relentlessly (:siren: he followed you to your building!!!!!! :siren:). Don't mess with it, don't mess with him.

Thunderbro fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 11, 2015

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
^^ ^^
I'd be shopping for a new building to move into already.

I almost lost my marriage to video gaming in general. Never was big WoW fan or any of the other MMORPG's out there but was huge in the early days of Counter-Strike and Team Fortress. By the time I'd gotten married I couldn't afford a PC anymore and it took a trip to Iraq to finally have enough scratch built up to buy an Xbox 360. Queue CoD/Battlefield/online competitive FPS games, etc. I was a Marine and my wife worked the evening shift at the time so I'd get home from work and she'd have just left. I would play games until 1am or so, after she got home around 10pm, and not acknowledge her.

It wasn't until after a series of "me or the game" arguments that were directed me that she finally borrowed our neighbors 10 pound sledge, set the xbox on the concrete patio and gave it one good slam. Then she hooked it back up with it's left side caved in completely and left for work. I got home, freaked out a bit and then realized that I was waaaay in the wrong and about to lose a good thing.

These days, two kids and a new career later, we have a standing deal where I only game on select nights of the week and only after our kids have assed out for the evening. It keeps things pretty sane for the most part, though there have been a few occasions where I think she got pretty close to pouring a glass of water down the fan vents in my computer tower. I think the only thing that stopped her is that it's the only PC we have so she'd be left to using her phone to pay bills and check facebook with.

CrotchDropJeans
Jan 4, 2015
I know three people who lost significant long-term relationships over WoW because I was a spergy shut-in in my early adult life. Here are their tales:

- Chad was my former roommate, along with his girlfriend Tiffany. They were 21sh then and had been dating since they were 14. Tiffany was a good-looking, social, creative person with a full-time job and who was interested in trying new things. Chad was a pretty stereotypical nerd who pretty much knew that Tiffany was out of his league and was really insecure about it even though he didn't have anything to worry about until WoW came out. When the game came out, Chad's ordinary schedule of gaming for a couple hours on weeknights expanded into playing literally every time he wasn't at work, making GBS threads, or snatching a couple hours' sleep before a raid. This all happened within like two months. He stopped eating dinner with Tiffany, stopped hanging out with us even when we had other friends over, stopped going out with his friends, and stopped taking extra shifts at work. He started just keeping huge jars of peanut butter by the computer so he wouldn't have to take time away from the game in order to cook or even order pizza online. He's just sit there spooning peanut butter into his mouth for hours on end. Tiffany would try to convince him to do stuff with her, and once I came home early and heard her sobbing while begging him to please, please just turn off the game for an hour so they could eat dinner together like they used to. He told her to stop interrupting him.

Chad's most notorious moment came during a tropical storm. The power went out, and he started screaming and cursing like a foul-mouthed toddler, literally almost in tears because there was a raid on in half an hour. Tiffany tried to soothe him but he blew her off. Then, miraculously, the power came back on and he scuttled back to his room with the peanut butter jar. About an hour after that, when the storm had mostly died down, we heard a huge crack, and looked out the window to see that a huge, heavy branch had snapped off a tree and landed on a neighbor's car. The woman ran out and was crying over the damage and trying without success to pull it off, so we went down to help her. Chad absolutely refused to leave the game, even for a minute, even though he was the tallest and strongest of us by a long shot and his help would have made it go twice as fast. After that Tiffany pulled away from him and stopped trying to get him to leave the drat game alone and spend some time with her. I guess she just gave up. She started spending more and more time outside the house, making new friends, and eventually she left Chad and to this day Chad has no idea why she would be so petty as to leave him "over a video game." Last I heard he'd moved across the state, quit video games, and become a dedicated PUA.

- Rob was the older brother of a friend of mine. He had a wife names Agnes, a decent full time job, a part time job on the weekends, and a nice house he'd just bought. He was always a pretty heavy gamer, the kind who didn't really have too many outside interests, but when he got into WoW he went off the deep end. First he dropped his hobbies. Then he dropped his friends. Then he dropped spending any time with his wife. Then he quit the part-time job to play more. Then he cut his hours at the full-time job. Then he got fired from the full-time job. Agnes tried to get him into counseling, but he wouldn't go. She unplugged the PC while he was on a raid one day and he slapped her, so she left. Then he played and played and played, paying his sub and the utilities out of his savings, until Agnes bought out his share of the house in the divorce and kicked him out. I have no idea what he did after that as I lost touch with my friend soon after, but he friended me on Facebook last year and it looks like he still games a lot, but on a much saner level. He has a new girlfriend and a baby with her and most of his posts are about taking care of the baby.

- Louis was a high school friend of mine, as was his wife Caroline. They were both avid gamers who loved nothing better than sitting side by side and nerding it up while pretending to be orcs or whatever. They got heavy into WoW, and after a few months of basically being completely immobile at their computer chairs, Caroline realized that life was passing them by. She didn't want to quit gaming entirely, she just wanted to have a social life and hobbies that weren't related to grinding on WoW for hours on end. So she scaled back her guild duties, joined a gym, and started scouting for meetup groups to get into some new hobbies. Louis absolutely refused to join her, and as time went on Caroline became more and more social and Louis became more and more of a shut in. Eventually she met another man and filed for divorce. Caroline went back to school, married the new guy, got a great job, and now has a well-rounded, successful, though still pretty nerdy, life. Louis lives in a ghetto apartment in their hometown, working the same crappy food service job he did when we met in junior year (we are in our early 30s now).

I myself never had much interest in video games, but even if I had knowing those people would probably have put me off them forever.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Intoner posted:

No, no, no, no. "Friends in the far future" is for healthy couples with healthy relationships who had a healthy breakup due to healthy reasons, not for couples where one half is a giant creepy stalking manbaby with no sense of boundaries. You were a part of each others life for a while, now you're not. You don't owe him a friendship because you feel bad for him.

Iringahn
Oct 31, 2011
I'm actually very glad that I started playing wow, and that I eventually stopped playing wow.

During my final years at high school I discovered that terrible addiction to World of Warcraft and basically stopped putting in effort at school, I would still socialize with a few people but it was mostly talking about the game. I met a ton of people online and I would typically sit in vent / mumble / Skype whatever was the voice chat we were using at the time all day and talk it up with a bunch of other nerds from all over Canada and the US. I met some cool people. I saw some of those cool people go through some rough stuff in their lives because of the game, and over the years our advancing ages and responsibilities pushed us one by one away from the game. Collectively it actually helped when one guy would quit, it made it easier for the next guy and the next guy. We would come back, hyped for the next expansion or what have you but things had changed for a lot of us, and it wasn't the same as it had been years before when we'd been fresh to our addiction.

At this point I had started to realize that I needed to get out of the house, talk to people, rebuild a social life. This lead me to meeting my girlfriend of five years, who I'm hoping to propose to later on this year.

I still get nostalgic thoughts about wow because it reminds me of a time when I could be completely irresponsible and just goof off with a bunch of goony people from around the world, and I have to thank it for being a wake up call and the first step in meeting the best person in my life.

Intoner
Oct 3, 2014

I'm not teasing you.. I'm murdering you!
Well in case somebody is interested in an update, here it is:

I have a new boyfriend for almost 3 months now - he was actually a good friend of mine for 8 years, then sex friend and now boyfriend.

As for my ex, he's traveling through Germany a lot now and has a new online crush he visits from time to time.
I haven't seen him for a few weeks, we only talk via whatsapp sometimes.

I guess it didn't turn out like many here thought xD

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I started playing WoW about six months after its release. It was my senior year of college and I was going through a really lovely time. I had broken up with a 2-year girlfriend the year before and unfortunately we had all the same friends. poo poo was just too awkward between us for us to really hang out, and in the end I was the one who dropped out of the social circle. After that I basically just smoked pot and played WoW. I managed to keep my poo poo together academically, but god only knows how. I came drat close to not finishing my senior thesis and only pulled it out via a herculean week-long writing binge. I still cringe when I have some reason to skim through it looking or a book title or something - the writing was really poo poo.

Worse, after college I was listless and had basically no direction. I wasn't acknowledging it at the time, but in retrospect I was depressed as hell. I lived with my parents for the next year and basically played WoW from morning until night. A bunch of really ill-conceived and half assed plans for employment fell through and I was basically a bum. Looking back I godamned knew that it was a problem for at least the final six months, but wouldn't really admit it to myself. Eventually I just woke up one day and realized that I had stopped doing everything else I enjoyed. I hadn't played another computer game except WoW for almost a year and a half, and I used to really enjoy all sorts of varied types. One day I just decided not to long on and to get out of the house. The next day I did the same thing, and after a week I was utterly horrified at just how empty the past year of my life had been. After that I scraped together some cash, took a TOEFL certification course in Germany, and spent the next year after that teaching ESL in Korea.

I still play games but really make a point of avoiding anything where I have to schedule time for it. I backslid for a bit when I started playing World of Tanks a few years back, but then realized how stupid it was to grind some stupid clan wars thing every night when my wife wanted to just curl up and watch a movie or something before bed.

Every single regret I have in life has to do with something that I skipped, blew off, or neglected for some piece of bullshit electronic entertainment. All of my best memories are of things that I did with people, places I went and saw, or great conversations that I had with friends. Online gaming is basically the junk food of entertainment. It's fun, but it's a very transitory sort of fun.

The thing I always come back to is this: I really don't think anyone has ever lay on their death bed and wished they could have done just one more raid, or gotten one more piece of epic gear. Twenty years from now WoW won't be a thing any more and all those 'epic' accomplishments will be nothing. Meanwhile, I have friends, I have a wife, I have parents, and I drat sure know that if something was to happen to any of them (or me) I'd regret every second I didn't spend with them.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I keep gaming as something that I can walk away at anytime. If you're blowing off real events in favor of Wednesday night raids, you might have a problem.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Grognan posted:

I keep gaming as something that I can walk away at anytime. If you're blowing off real events in favor of Wednesday night raids, you might have a problem.

Yeah, that's the general idea one should take away from this thread. :) It's almost like WoW-coholics Anonymous.

Even now, I'll sometimes be tempted to grind out some daily quests in FFXIV or something instead of going to bed at a reasonable time. But I know I have a problem with oversleeping and I HAVE to get my 8 hours or I'm hosed. So bedtime it is. The quests and the game aren't going anywhere.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Cyrano4747 posted:

WoW-escapism story

I was pondering something when I read your story, because it doesn't sound much different than how I was in High School.

Is WoW-addiction just a symptom of a bigger problem, or is it the catalyst?

It seems WoW acts like a vortex for those who already swirling around the aperture of depression. But how often does it suck people in who were not at great risk of falling into depression, compared to how many people it may save from falling in deeper than they would have without WoW?

If I didn't have WoW in High School, or videos games in general, would I have been better or worse off until I worked through my issues? I have no real answer, but it's an interesting thing to think about.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I was pondering something when I read your story, because it doesn't sound much different than how I was in High School.

Is WoW-addiction just a symptom of a bigger problem, or is it the catalyst?

It seems WoW acts like a vortex for those who already swirling around the aperture of depression. But how often does it suck people in who were not at great risk of falling into depression, compared to how many people it may save from falling in deeper than they would have without WoW?

If I didn't have WoW in High School, or videos games in general, would I have been better or worse off until I worked through my issues? I have no real answer, but it's an interesting thing to think about.

I really don't think this is any different from any other type of addiction, with the possible exception of some of the more chemically addictive drugs (opiates in particular). There are plenty of people in this country who mange to safely and responsibly enjoy all sorts of recreational substances. All of the alcoholics and serious pot heads I've known have been using it to cope with some other lovely part of their life. At the same time there are millions of people playing WoW today, and the majority of them manage to do it without losing themselves in it and loving up their lives.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I think its a little bit of both, it incentivizes people to dig deeper into the game and get caught in that kind of depression well, and the people who are more susceptible to that have that kind of addictive/depressive personality in the first place. I'm an addictive person and I've played WoW for three periods over the last decade. In two of them I got really deeply addicted to the game, and both those times I was in a bad place and really unhappy about my life. I suspect that's part of the reason I dove into WoW, but also the amount of time I invested in the game made my situation even worse. The time I got into WoW when I was doing pretty well, I didn't get hooked. I had fun for a while, then it felt like a chore and I just stopped playing.

Grognan posted:

I raided with a real-world friend and a bunch of online friends, and I used to compare it to any other club or hobby, like scheduling time for a bowling team or a poker night or something. That analogy doesn't really work out though, because even very casual raiding is like a poker night that meets up a minimum of two nights a week for 3+ hours, and if anyone is late or doesn't show up the group can't start, and if you don't show up a handful of times you might just get uninvited and replaced. It's really obnoxious and the pressure of "I'd rather be doing something else, but I gotta be on WoW all night for my team!" made the game extremely unfun.

I did have a lot of fun with that group and there are some good and exciting memories I have from raiding, but the ratio of "good times" to "boring times clearing bosses we had on farm status, or lovely times wiping on bosses, or feeling lovely for bailing on the group" was insanely low.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I think the demise of my past relationship was largely due to my WoW addiction, as much as I hate to admit it. I am glad that we split now, as he ended up cheating on me, but I can understand that me staying up until all hours of the night raiding with my friends in Japan didn't do our relationship any favors.
I still play WoW more than I should, but I limit myself by absolutely not allowing myself to join any organized weekly raid groups. Never again am I staying home to raid instead of going out with friends, but I still like to log on sometime and mess around to unwind after work.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

I really don't think this is any different from any other type of addiction, with the possible exception of some of the more chemically addictive drugs (opiates in particular). There are plenty of people in this country who mange to safely and responsibly enjoy all sorts of recreational substances. All of the alcoholics and serious pot heads I've known have been using it to cope with some other lovely part of their life. At the same time there are millions of people playing WoW today, and the majority of them manage to do it without losing themselves in it and loving up their lives.

A certain amount of it is just statistics. When you have millions of players you're way more likely to get a few colossal fuckups than a game with only thousands.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

A certain amount of it is just statistics. When you have millions of players you're way more likely to get a few colossal fuckups than a game with only thousands.

Everquest had far fewer, but these sorts of games just are extremely addictive for people who don't have much going on in their real lives. EQ was actually far worse due to the competitive nature built in to the game, most of the stories here are quaint compared to the poo poo that happened while everquest was popular. Also EQ was during a time when social media didn't really exist and nerds/geeks were much more ostracized when compared to today, so it gave people with those sorts of interests a place to congregate.

killaer
Aug 4, 2007
So what is worse, to be a hopeless stoner and smoke pot every single day, or to be a hopeless MMO addict and play WoW for the entire day? I've had my share of both, but I'm wondering what you guys think

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

killaer posted:

So what is worse, to be a hopeless stoner and smoke pot every single day, or to be a hopeless MMO addict and play WoW for the entire day? I've had my share of both, but I'm wondering what you guys think

Why not both? Sounds like it might be a symbiotic sort of thing.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

killaer posted:

I'm being very serious when I say there is major overlap between the two. The people that are hopeless gaming addicts (be it MMOs, Call of Duty or what-have-you) sometimes tend to be massive stoners, it's really remarkable and a sociologist or psychologist could make a killer thesis studying it.

I really have no idea which one could be "worse" because both are socially destructive activities and impair life functioning if they get too bad.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
For about two years I had a job where only worked weekends, always out of town. During the week I would smoke weed and play WoW all day. Most all of my friends had normal gigs so I didn't have anyone to hang out with.

Clearly I was squandering an amazing opportunity to do all sorts of awesome poo poo with my time. But at the time it seems pretty great.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Online game can be the worst. Even with well meaning people a lot of people who play online are enablers.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I started playing WoW when I was about 16. I did well in school and had a steady part-time job and had a girlfriend I still spent most of my time with. After we graduated High School she went to a University about an hour away and I stayed in our hometown to do a year of Community College to save money. That was when I really started going hard at WoW. Community College was so incredibly easy I could pass with As/Bs while hardly even going to class, which meant I had about 12 hours a day to play WoW, which I did. And since I only saw her like twice a month that really wasn't a problem.

I don't think video games were the reason we broke up, the distance certainly didn't help, but I do remember when she came back for Christmas break we would hang out till like 10:00 PM and I would lie to her and say I was super tired, then as soon as she left I'd hop online until 3-4 in the morning. We broke up shortly after and I kind of started to get burnt out on WoW. I specifically remember telling myself "I cannot play this once I transfer to a University or I will fail all my classes and have no friends" which I know was the right way to look at it.

The one (and maybe only) good thing about MMOs (and other timesink video games) is how cheap they are. I was basically spending exactly $15 a month for my entire entertainment budget. Since I played it 10-12 hours a day I really didn't waste money on other things. It was also really helpful because if you've ever been in a long distance relationship (and I urge you not to, but that's a whole different discussion) the hardest thing isn't not getting to see someone constantly, it's trying to not go do things you shouldn't. WoW was really helpful for not feeling lonely with her gone, and usually I would have wanted to go out and party and drink with friends and that would have definitely put me in a position where I would have ended up doing something I regretted. Though on the other hand I often feel like I basically missed out on a year of my teens that I could have spent doing young-people things instead of wiping on SSC over and over.

Edit: And thinking back on it, I believe the reason I started getting bored was realizing just how pointless your "progression" in the game was. I'd raid for 7 hours and MAYBE get one Epic. I was excited for like 10 minutes until it dawned on me that I still needed like 10 more pieces just to do the next raid where I'd need 15 more pieces. I would log off and realize that any "progress" I had made in Azeroth meant absolutely dick in the real world.

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 23, 2015

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Somehow, I never got into MMOs, the grind always felt too long, the returns too little. I tried Lineage II, WoW (...on hacked server, 2poor4game), City of Heroes (14 day trial), Anarchy Online (got to level 14 or smth), Star Trek Online (put 40 hours in it, now that was something). I never got with people in games, either. Going to forums, or chatting, or setting up guilds seems like a massive chore.

I do have a more general addiction to computer or internet. poo poo, I can be reading RPG books, playing something, reading stupid stuff on the internet. It's kind of a tiny problem, I feel, since my girlfriend, while also a fan of sitting on the internet and looking at funny pictures, has a bigger need to Go Out and Do Stuff. I go out whenever she wants, but I feel like I should be proactive in offering places to go. But I'm not that interested in going places, since not many exhibitions or whatever happen that deal with fun historical or grognardy stuff.

Sorry about you guys, tho. Did you ever enjoy WoW for the "story" or "plot", or was it always raid, rinse, repeat? The detachment from plot is an another thing that drives me away from MMOs.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

I raided with a real-world friend and a bunch of online friends, and I used to compare it to any other club or hobby, like scheduling time for a bowling team or a poker night or something. That analogy doesn't really work out though, because even very casual raiding is like a poker night that meets up a minimum of two nights a week for 3+ hours, and if anyone is late or doesn't show up the group can't start, and if you don't show up a handful of times you might just get uninvited and replaced. It's really obnoxious and the pressure of "I'd rather be doing something else, but I gotta be on WoW all night for my team!" made the game extremely unfun.

This is part of why I'm having problems "Staying" in any MMO I previously enjoyed. Scheduling and dedicating that time just felt way too much like work, and I'd say on 50% of raid nights I just didn't want to be there. Not being there "Let down t he team" but sometimes I just want to watch a movie on friday night with my girlfriend. Even though I will sometimes binge game for hours on end, I still like knowing that if I feel like it I can just stand up and wander off. Raiding and stuff like big fleets in eve online preclude me just wandering off to engage in another hobby. And that bugs the gently caress out of me. I shouldn't have to schedule hobby time, it's meant to relax me.

EDIT: I should say wandering off is a big part of my gaming. I'll play for an hour, then I'll go flop down on my bed and read a book, then I'll wander back in and play a bit more, then I'll go to dinner/movie, then when I get home I may play a little more, then I'll log into my work VPN and do some afterhours stuff, so on and so forth. I hate being tied to the PC for X amount of hours with no recourse.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I just checked and I've clocked 330 days in WoW, so almost a whole year. Been playing since release, I don't really play anymore but got pretty much unlimited gametime since they introduced gold > gametime exchange. Anyway, a positive story, not a relationship one but I still want to share:

I was around 14-15 when I first started playing WoW. Fat, bullied, shy, all that. No friends in school, spare time was only WoW. Got two level 60's and started pvp'ing on my paladin. PvP back then meant getting together a competent Warsong Gulch team of 10 people and playing with them everyday, for several hours, for several months. For the first time I had actual friends, even though they were online. After our group leader hit rank 14 (highest rank), he had to pass leadership onto another member. For some reason I was chosen and it was the first time I had people respect me and listen to me. It's kinda hard to explain to people outside the game, but my teammates had pretty much only pvp gear and were facing naxx (best) geared teams and we still won. When people saw they were playing against us, they left the battleground because they knew we were gonna put up a long good fight and probably win. It was an amazing experience for me - in real life I was this fat 220lbs acne kid, but in WoW I was loving Kehah, leader of the best alliance team. After I hit rank 13 (never went for 14) I decided to call it quits with PvP and just enjoy the social aspect of the game. By then I was kinda well known on the server and had friends, even though they were online friends. I was finished with the game for a while so this positive reinforcement caused me to finally take care of my body in real life - I dropped from 220lbs to aroud 130 (which was unhealthy aswell, at a good 170lbs now). This gave me some confidence and I finally started to talk to people in real life and stood up to being bullied. Turns out people weren't so scary and bad after all and after a while I got actual friends in real life. Started making my own money and first thing I did was visit a few teammates from my old pvp team. Mostly people from another countries, so I had to fly over there. I never travelled before, and now I just can't wait to get away from home for a weekend trip or something. And these online friends turned to real life best friends who I still have contact with to this day.

I have played a lot of WoW, but I can't say I regret it at all. I don't know if doing anything else would have empowered me to improve myself outside of the game. I went from zero to hero in game, and then went from zero to hero in real life. Nowadays I don't enjoy MMO's anymore, but I still get lost in single player games.

e: I never raided, and never will. People on my server knew about it, and offered to take me with them to raids just for me to see the content :unsmith:

texting my ex fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 28, 2015

• Locked thread