Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009
Yes more dirty red next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Man, the first episode was too short. I actually felt disappointment when the ED started, though maybe because i marathoned the last few episodes of the last season.

I guess Izhmash (name of the thin guy that Gaz gave orders to) made cars too, not just guns. I wonder if he'll turn up again later.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Man, look at all those gifs, and were only on the first episode.

This is going to be a good season.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
My favorite part of the flashback was Gaz acknowledging that the Chaika plan was crazy and unnecessarily elaborate...which is what makes it perfect! That's the sign of a quality sorcerer-overlord right there.

Also if he was the most powerful mage in the world, I want to know what his magic gun was modeled after.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I hope the answer is a minigun

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

I hope the answer is a minigun

I'm now imagining Gaz yelling like an auctioneer to get incantations off fast enough.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sindai posted:

My favorite part of the flashback was Gaz acknowledging that the Chaika plan was crazy and unnecessarily elaborate...which is what makes it perfect! That's the sign of a quality sorcerer-overlord right there.

Also if he was the most powerful mage in the world, I want to know what his magic gun was modeled after.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Oh Snapalope posted:

Yes more dirty red next week.

How dare you Red is pure :colbert:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Sindai posted:

Looks like a RPG launcher.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I was hoping for a gatling gun too but that's pretty much the next best thing.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
She sounds less broken japanese this time.

kind weird

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Maybe she is learning to speak better

Maybe they got lazy

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

ninjewtsu posted:

Maybe she is learning to speak better

Maybe they got lazy

I hope the QUALITY picks up, I liked it for the cheap background animations and shotty writing. Hope it dips back to S1 QUALITY or Knights of Sidonia budget levels.

Taking potshots at this is the only reason I watch it...

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

S1 wasn't ever really that bad on that front. I mean it certainly wasn't a high budget show, but there's definitely way, way better shows for making fun of poor animation. Outside of fights it just seemed average to me (and the fights were fantastic) v:v:v

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

there's definitely way, way better shows for making fun of poor animation.
Yeah, like Log Horizon s2 :v: I swear, the only characters that aren't feeling the budget cuts in that show are Shiroe and Akatsuki.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I think this is the first Legendary Hero we've met whose life didn't become a complete goddamn mess after the war ended.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

We still have an episode (or possibly more) to find out how her life is secretly ruined

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

We still have an episode (or possibly more) to find out how her life is secretly ruined

"I...
I loving hate wine!!!" :byodame:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The reason why she was away from the encounter with the king was because she was wine drunk and because of that her lover died. Now she drinks to forget, but hates what she drinks.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Command Ant posted:

I think this is the first Legendary Hero we've met whose life didn't become a complete goddamn mess after the war ended.
Maybe the king cursed everyone in the room

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

ninjewtsu posted:

S1 wasn't ever really that bad on that front. I mean it certainly wasn't a high budget show, but there's definitely way, way better shows for making fun of poor animation. Outside of fights it just seemed average to me (and the fights were fantastic) v:v:v

Animation had a decent budget aside from the background spoofs, but the writing is like most animes B movie a script at best. Which makes it so much more enjoyable to watch with (drunk)friends.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
As far as the writing and the story go, this show is like a good D&D session, where things are taken just seriously enough that everyone can enjoy themselves.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

^ Basically. It's stupid enough to be fun but not stupid enough to be glaringly bad. Which is basically what defines a good anime for me, so :v:

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Command Ant posted:

As far as the writing and the story go, this show is like a good D&D session, where things are taken just seriously enough that everyone can enjoy themselves.

I agree, it has some depth but how far you take it you can have this be a comedy or some anime action thing.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Chaika remains Chaika. Again nothing mindblowing on the episode per say but still nothing bad. Claudia is easily the best hero of the lot.

The preview though Frederica biting like half of a fish in a single chomp in her girl form is very...:stare: Gonna need a gif of that to go along with the face huger one.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Claudia is easily the best hero of the lot.

It's pretty interesting that most of the heroes are pretty low-key, or just glossed over, as if none of them are important to the world. It's a perfect setup for a monster of the week show, and yet the show cares more about the (mis)adventures of Chaika and her saboteur buddies. I'm sure glad that's the case since it really separates Chaika from the crowd.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

ViggyNash posted:

It's pretty interesting that most of the heroes are pretty low-key, or just glossed over, as if none of them are important to the world.

Well yeah, that's kind of the point. Most of the heroes we've met(hell, most of the characters) are like Tohru before he met Chaika, old soldiers lost without purpose in a time of peace. Their importance is implicitly to have no importance. It's not an accident that the one hero who has actually given herself a new life, and even gives other retired soldiers the same opportunity, would be the most mellow and get a fair bit of screentime. Post-wartime malaise is a big underlying thread in Chaika, and the heroes are all an extension of that.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah it's funny because there's like three separate things that could be the reason why Claudia's life isn't messed up like the others (though I suppose you could argue they're all of a piece).

1)Wasn't in the room when Gaz (and Chaika??) was killed.

2)Didn't use her part of the remains as magic fuel to get a new life.

3)Moved on after the war to be something besides a soldier/hero.

Lot of set-up this episode with enough character and action stuff to keep it interesting.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

paragon1 posted:

1)Wasn't in the room when Gaz (and Chaika??) was killed.

Yea these keep coming up, should be important.

Also seemed like this episode kept dropping hints that Mr. Razor survived. Isn't he in the intro?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ranger guy didn't seem messed up from the 10 seconds of screentime he got

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Davincie posted:

ranger guy didn't seem messed up from the 10 seconds of screentime he got

Living alone in the woods. Not usually a sign of being 'not messed up' in animes.

Glad to see Red again. I like how her speech is worse than Whites.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

paragon1 posted:

I'm placing my bets on this. Maybe the 'curse' that seems to be happening to the other heroes is from using the magic power within the remains, and why Claudia mentioned that she had a bad feeling about using that magic power.

The crazy guy in the ravine in s1 used remains to power his gimmicky dream mist, the first hero used it directly for badass telekinesis powers, although I don't recall if Frederika's previous master used hers at all.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I like S2

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

HiveCommander posted:

the first hero used it directly for badass telekinesis powers

Yeah he was actually quite well off. Any issues he had with being a Wizard happened before he got that arm. I don't think anything bad happened to him, did it?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Given the subtitle of the season, it's going to be sad when they have to probably kill off Red Chaika and her crew at the end.

Also someone make a looping gif of Chaika turning bright red and back.

vvvv Yeah next week looks like it's going to be rad as hell.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 16, 2014

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Based on the preview next week is going to get crazy. Toru's teacher shows back up, new hero, and twin black Chaikas?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Zeruel posted:

Living alone in the woods. Not usually a sign of being 'not messed up' in animes.

he's a ranger, that's what rangers do

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah he was actually quite well off. Any issues he had with being a Wizard happened before he got that arm. I don't think anything bad happened to him, did it?

Well, aside from getting robbed, wasn't he living alone in a giant rear end house?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

chumbler posted:

=-

Also someone make a looping gif of Chaika turning bright red and back.

Thanks gifcam

thifcam

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk
Above gif summarises my feelings about gifcam. I used to do it manually, where I'd alternately mash Frame-Step and Save-Image in MPC then put the whole thing through photoshop. Gifcam saved me.

.webm is still a bitch though, I have to convert my .mkv into an .mp4 with Handbrake, chop it down with movie maker, export another .mp4, then process the thing with Miro Video Converter to finally reach a .webm.

• Locked thread