Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah it felt rushed but they did a good job with it nevertheless. I wish Toohru could have used his Iron-blood transformation as a dragoon to take down Gaz faster than he could fire his circles, but I suppose what happened works too.

Still a badass show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Chaika?

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

I'm really glad that one of the powers Tohru acquired with contracting with Frederica was being ultimately useless and not actually managing to accomplish anything of value, just like Frederica herself.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

So question for those who follow the source material: Was that an anime original ending or was that true to form? Cause that seemed pretty drat rushed.

Adelheid posted:

I'm really glad that one of the powers Tohru acquired with contracting with Frederica was being ultimately useless and not actually managing to accomplish anything of value, just like Frederica herself.

Hey! He... uh... wow, yeah he really didn't do squat did he?

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Its a shame that the last episode felt so rushed. So that's Chaika forever then, yeah? No season 3? I feel like between Shin's motives, Niva's current situation, and everyone's post adventure lives could at least lead to a slice of life OVA or something.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Fun-rear end ride. Shame about the 10-episode limit, an 11th would have really helped it.

According to twitter, Chaika only lost the implanted memories, so Good End got even Gooder
https://twitter.com/fumihilo/status/542718800567623680

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Hocus Pocus posted:

Its a shame that the last episode felt so rushed. So that's Chaika forever then, yeah? No season 3? I feel like between Shin's motives, Niva's current situation, and everyone's post adventure lives could at least lead to a slice of life OVA or something.

There's going to be a beach episode OVA apparently. :v:

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 11, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

another man brought down by trying to combine their love of guns and miku

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Cake Attack posted:

another man brought down by trying to combine their love of guns and miku

Haha, true. It's too bad the episode didn't have enough time to really breathe.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

So this episode is the end of chaika? I'm still waiting for the last episode but to what I could see it could of gone on for at least another season

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yes

there's also a beach ova technically

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

So question for those who follow the source material: Was that an anime original ending or was that true to form? Cause that seemed pretty drat rushed.

Hey! He... uh... wow, yeah he really didn't do squat did he?

What I've heard is that the last novel released covered up to the end of episode 9, with some differences. (Like Black Chaika already biting it, and no magic spaceships plan.) The actual ending hasn't been published yet, so yeah original ending, technically.

And hey now, Toru got Gaz to stupidly open a window so Chaika could snipe him. That's more then anyone else managed, technically.

In any case, enjoyable ending, felt rushed as hell, just like the last couple episodes but worse. It's too bad they couldn't budget a few more episodes or wait for the last book to come out, but hey whatever Beach OVA!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yeah, black dying in the rebirth scene makes a lot more sense. But hey, her surviving an explosive tentacle birth provided an extra fight scene so it isn't all bad.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think that was a solid enough ending that was fitting for the show. Given how overpowered Tooru's class change appears to be against anyone who isn't basically magic god, there wasn't really much room for them to keep going with him. And it makes sense that Akari's conclusion is writing no doubt terrible and lascivious fanfiction.

I'm gonna miss this dumb show. It did a lot of things right, and while it never had huge highs, it was consistently good.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Chaika, good! Rushed, too bad.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was incredibly disappointing aside from "I give father funeral." :madmax:

Zeruel posted:

According to twitter, Chaika only lost the implanted memories, so Good End got even Gooder
https://twitter.com/fumihilo/status/542718800567623680
Would have been nice if they'd actually said this in the show somehow. Weird that the ending felt so rushed.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I agree that it should have at least had one more so that it didn't have to fit all of that into one single episode, but aside from being rushed it was a good episode.

I'll miss this anime, it was a good one.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Who knows, maybe if it somehow became super popular they'd redo the end of it as a movie?

It was rushed, but well, it's not a Gonzo ending. So at least there's that.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I wasn't that disappointed since I figured it was gonna be rushed, and as far as rushed ending go, that wasn't too bad. Yeah Niva was kind of an asspull, but it was alright otherwise. Consistently good show.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

That was a good ending, albeit a rushed one. They did their best with what they had to work with. I would have liked to see what they could have done with more episodes. I think this ep could have used some more time and budget on the fight scenes at least. And the characters are interesting enough that I wish more time had been spent on their lives after Gaz's defeat.

It was a pity that Frederica got taken out again, but hey, I do also like that antagonists like Shin and Gaz had the good sense to take out the most dangerous member of the team as a priority. I was sad that most of her lines were "roar!" in this ep, though.

Tohru running off to try to kill Gaz on his own was one of the most stupid things that characters in this series have tried to do, so although I was pleased about the dragon cavalier thing (which still would have been better if it was Akari!) it was only fitting that he wouldn't be able to do anything in combat. Maybe I'm being too harsh on him - the situation was dire and maybe trying to do something was better than not doing anything at all. Plus, he did get the windows to open.

Gaz pretty much got taken down because he didn't think that anyone, let alone one of his Chaika tools, would be able to do anything to stop him. And again, to be fair, if it hadn't been for Niva he would have been correct.

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah Niva was kind of an asspull, but it was alright otherwise. Consistently good show.

It is still a bit random, but at least they had some foreshadowing earlier, what with Chaika treating Niva kindly and like a person and Niva appearing to appreciate that in her own way.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Bad guy is a jerk to his kids/creations, his kids/creations betray and murder him. Makes sense.

Felt rushed but wasn't terrible. There should have been more episodes. There should have been some minions or seafood for Frederica to eat.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
The obvious explanation for the rushed ending is that it was supposed to last a while longer but the Sniper rolled a 20 on her diplomacy check and her damage roll and the DM just accepted the result. "I've been setting this villain up for 21 sessions and you just killed him immediately. Yeah, that's cool. :mad:"

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Felt more disappointed from the lack of epilogue than anything else. They never really followed up on Chaika's discovery that she was a tool and that her goal of gathering the remains were implanted in her. I would have liked to see where she would go after everything was over. And did they ever explain what is up with Vivi? Why was she half-Chaika?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

So basically it just seems a bunch of stuff was just cut/changed from the novels:

quote:

Well for starters, the LNs aren't even finished yet, and like 1/3 of S2 was original content.
Also Gaz wasn't actually Guy, Guy was a proxy for God, who Gaz wanted to kill because God was fueled by human's emotions or something like that. And Guy was helping with Gaz's revival because it would lead to more war and emotion-harvesting and I guess he gave no fucks that Gaz wanted to kill him. Red and White get more fights together, Gillete doesn't lose his arm, Frederika and Toru enter the tournament by themselves as opposed to the whole group entering, which is when Toru contracts with her.
And during S1, Bones skipped the whole 3rd volume for some reason, along with other things.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

A lot of that stuff seems dumb or less good than what we got.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That actually makes more sense because it was always weird that he needed Chaikas in the first place if he had Guys, since they seemed better in every way and could have recovered all the remains in a few minutes.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I think it makes since that Neva switched, since Chaika's whole bit is supposed to be "the power of getting others to like/help you.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sindai posted:

That actually makes more sense because it was always weird that he needed Chaikas in the first place if he had Guys, since they seemed better in every way and could have recovered all the remains in a few minutes.

The guys weren't corporeal, and we don't know the limits on their mind control.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

...So what was that sea god thing back in the beginning?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

...So what was that sea god thing back in the beginning?

The kraken they met on the island.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.
Awesome final episode, and refreshingly to the point compared to Gun x Sword which I just watched where the ending just went on and on and on and on

Also I was really expecting Gaz to announce the Human Instrumentality Project, but no.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
This was a great series. It's really rare to see an anime without overpowered protagonists, and this is one of the only anime I can think of that did a good job of handling the idea equally or overmatched protagonists. It really made it all the more satisfying when the good guys won.

I'm glad Red Chaika made it out alright. It was really satisfying to see her tell Black Chaika to gently caress off before kicking her in her stupid smug face. Did she get a job with the Grape Hero in the end?

This show gave us some great gifs, too.

And, of course, Frederika kept topping herself.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

I'm going to give Father a funeral!
:hellyeah:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Adelheid posted:

Well yeah, he only just class-changed so he's only got the Dragoon's lv1 abilities. Changing class right before a big boss encounter is not a smart thing to do, unless you're breaking the game by doing it.

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007

Zeruel posted:

I'm going to give Father a funeral!
:hellyeah:

Ill say this whole series was worth it just for that line. Definitely agree it sucks season 2 was only 10 long.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What a sad ending. They just lock Niva in a container forever. :smith:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

What a sad ending. They just lock Niva in a container forever. :smith:

I bet she just pops out of there and wanders around whenever she feels like it.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Once in a while the chain will be inexplicably removed. The gun never gets taken and no amount of additional chains fixes this.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

OVA is for 10th March, Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Just finished the last half of the second season.

Hearing it was an anime original ending at least explains the whimper it went out on.

The twist I was hoping for was Gaz sending out all the Chaikas with different motivations and just rolling with whichever one collected his remains. Black revived him, but I would have loved to have him say that if white had completed his remains he would have just passed on peacefully. Would have been a bit deeper as an antagonist than what we got.

• Locked thread