Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

muscles like this? posted:

Doesn't he already voice one of the kid characters?

That's Aziz Ansari, he voices DRL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Gene is in rare, awful form this week.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Pootybutt posted:

He's a verb!

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

smashpro1 posted:

He's a verb!

A bad verb, a berb!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mouth feel

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
Exceptional mouth-feel. :q:

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

DarklyDreaming posted:

Black garlic is legit good though. How Bob Belcher of all people realized it's tastiness (You don't really see it in America outside of epic level 5 star restaurants and cooking shows) is a question that will plague me until the episode airs.

Bob knows what tastes good on burgers.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Really great use of Mickey and Ron.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Pootybutt posted:

That was really taking me out of the episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A big part of Bob's character is that while he runs a small town burger shack he has/had higher ambitions and knows how to cook fancy food. Kind of like the Thanksgiving episode where he was obsessed with doing a three day brine.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

PassTheRemote posted:

That was really taking me out of the episode.

That's always been the one thing about this show I find really unrelatable: how the kids never seem to actually get punished for anything. If Gene or Lousie had my dad, I'm pretty sure they'd be dead by now.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

DarklyDreaming posted:

Black garlic is legit good though. How Bob Belcher of all people realized it's tastiness (You don't really see it in America outside of epic level 5 star restaurants and cooking shows) is a question that will plague me until the episode airs.

It's been shown many times that Bob is really good at what he does. He uses a number of non standard ingredients (at least to most Americans) in his Burgers.

As far as the episode, I hated Gene. He's not this out there normally and it really felt like they were bending his character to fit the needs of the episode. It ended fine, but this one is kind of near the bottom for episodes this season.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Pootybutt posted:

Yeah, I was wondering when he became the Ralph Wiggum of the show. He is never that smart, but he was very awful in this episode.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Didn't a flash burger boss game get made?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The contest was very Simpsons, in that the host was very obvious on who they wanted to win.

I want to try some black garlic now.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Wonder if any black garlic vendors are going to wake up to a surprise in their storefront dashboards tomorrow.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Got garlic
broke law
u fix later
on our way
:-)

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I laughed really hard when Gene freaked out about the Hot Fudge Car Wash.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Randandal posted:

Got garlic
broke law
u fix later
on our way

Oh! A smilie face!!

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Hands off your meat chef!

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

I agree that Gene was more cartoonish than usual and it was annoying, but Gene has always been the least developed and most annoying character. Other than that I felt this was a solid, if a bit below average, episode. It was really nice to see Bob and the restaurant get a happy resolution for once.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Where is all the Gene hate coming from? I mean yeah, relatively speaking he's probably my least favorite kid too but he's also competing with Tina and a character voiced by The Queen Of Voicing Adorably Insane Little Cartoon Girls. He fits perfectly fine as the attention-seeking middle kid.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Dec 1, 2014

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
And in the latest episode they made him the brain-the-size-of-a-pea child.

This is the child who could write and direct a rock opera but suddenly now has a half second attention span. It's like they took one small facet of his personality and dialled it up to 11 at the expense of the rest of his character.

Sure they did it so they could write some jokes and add a bit of tension to the cook off, but I don't think they did it very well. The writers of this show are really good and I'm sure could have come up with a million things to get Gene to act flaky for a day without turning him into a caricature of himself.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Dec 1, 2014

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Next week we're going to meet Bob's dad. I was kind of hoping we would never see Bob's side of the family, and I'm almost certain the crew spoke about that at Comic Con last year.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

Next week we're going to meet Bob's dad. I was kind of hoping we would never see Bob's side of the family, and I'm almost certain the crew spoke about that at Comic Con last year.

I'm just hoping that they get Jessica Walter to play his mom.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.
I can't believe no one has yet mentioned the "Run Gorgonzola Run" burger from the chalkboard. I thought that was pretty funny for a one-off chalkboard gag.

Mike_V posted:

I laughed really hard when Gene freaked out about the Hot Fudge Car Wash.

I laughed really hard when the kids were covered in hot fudge in the end credits.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Not just the kids!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Loved this episode even if gene came off dumber than usual. I think his character is creative but disorganized, which still could have worked to forget the black garlic without needing the buffoonish squash job. I want andy daly to come back i think his voice is bar none one of the funniest things ever. The way he can talk cracks me up. Always good to see kumail too. The mouth feel double line cracked my poo poo up.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 2, 2014

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

There was an article on a newspaper website about how they will soon broadcast Bob's Burgers in my country, saying it would be the next Simpsons or Family Guy. They gave a rundown of the characters and called Gene "most of all - terribly stupid". I actually never really felt that way until this episode. It's really weird.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I think it's normal for Gene's character to go though some periods of acting out or being remarkably stupid, bored with everything or easily distracted, and other periods during which he is more creative and more focused.
Hell, I think that this is the norm for most kids, if not every one I know, including myself.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Stop whatever you're doing and go listen to this cover of 'Electric Love': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olfEGvC8dYg

You're welcome.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So was I just high about there being a burgerboss flash game?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Randandal posted:

Got garlic
broke law
u fix later
on our way

The best part is Bob's reaction of just being happy that they got the garlic.

I liked that episode a lot in spite of the Gene obnoxiousness being amped up to 11. I hope the pretentious food store character (Ray?) returns at some point.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I hope when we meet Bob's dad, he'll actually be proud of his son and think he's a fine cook, and the disappointment is 100% in Bob's head.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Frostwerks posted:

So was I just high about there being a burgerboss flash game?

I think I may have posted about Burger Time which may be here https://archive.org/details/internetarcade

If not, just google it since a few sites have it

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

This is the child who could write and direct a rock opera but suddenly now has a half second attention span. It's like they took one small facet of his personality and dialled it up to 11 at the expense of the rest of his character.

This is called hyperfocus in real life. People with attention issues can easily put a lot of focus into something that interests them, while being flaky and inattentive in many other aspects of life.

I feel like people complaining about Gene's characterization in that episode haven't watched season 1 or 2 episodes lately.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I felt like the episode was even toying with how contrived that whole aspect of the plot was, particularly with Linda asking Bob if he intentionally chose the kid most likely to screw up to do the most critical task, twice. It really didn't bother me to be honest, as others have said, Gene is already the least compelling kid character, he occasionally really shines but most of the time he's just there to play off of Louise's pure-awesomeness, this episode just wasn't top-of-the-shelf Bob's Burgers materials, and I don't think it was Gene's characterization that's responsible for that.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Linda's disappointment that Rocky didn't win, even after he ran up all those stairs, says so much about her.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
I don't really think gene was all that stupid in this episode. I mean, this is the kid that couldn't remeber the restaurant's name at the baseball game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
That whole bit about them getting kicked out of the high end market because they refused to pay 7$ for a chocolate bar was loving great.

• Locked thread