Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The thread title refers to this clip (which is explained more in the movie).

Dear White People focuses on the events that lead up to a white frat throwing a Ghetto themes party on a prestigious college campus. It does this by focusing on multiple people across the campus but mainly on four that one of the posters conveniently put all in one image:

Samantha White is pretty much a troublemaker that likes stirring the pot and pissing people off. She's the host of the titular "Dear White People" radio show on campus and a film major. While jokingly running to be head of her dorm, she manages to get more attention than she wants by actually winning and gets put into a position of leadership she's really not all that comfortable with .

Troy Fairbanks is the son of the Dean and is constantly trying to do his best in all things and basically the best role model and example he can possible be. He's constantly trying to live up to his father's high expectations to him. He loses the dorm election to Samantha White and this does not sit well with him.

Lionel Higgins is a homosexual, nerd with dreams of being a journalist. He's always had trouble finding his place due to being too white for the black crowd and too black for the white crowd.

Coco Conners dreams of being famous and wants to be a reality TV star. She is uncomfortable with any issues that will make people assume bad things about her but there also isn't alot she won't do to get to her dreams.

In typing that out I know this sounds kind of lame but I assure you it's really pretty great. The characters in this film while seeming in some ways to be a series of points the filmmaker wanted to make, really do flesh out well into real people. While you can feel many aspects of the filmmaker in his characters, no one is just a plain Mary Sue that is right all the time. All the characters are well developed with positive and negative characteristics that come together to drive their actions and lead the movies plot where it goes. Overall this movie is just a great ensemble piece about what it's like to be black in a mostly white place in post-Obama America. It's about the ways people will sell themselves out in order to belong to one group or another. It's about the pursuit of just basic acceptance and the need to find a place to fit in and how race plays a part in that whether you want to or not.

And yes this is a movie based on a twitter account. To be fair, the twitter was made by the filmmaker to see the public reaction and test how viable it would be for his type of humor to be made into a movie.

Here's the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwJhmqLU0so
and here's a link to the youtube channel which has alot of videos in general.
The movie opens limited October 17th and nationwide October 24th

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
This looks good and I want to see it but I've got a worrying this is either going to generate a strong backlash or end up like Chris Rock's N word sketch with a scene taken out of context becoming really popular with the "I'm not racist but..." crowd.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

ReV VAdAUL posted:

This looks good and I want to see it but I've got a worrying this is either going to generate a strong backlash or end up like Chris Rock's N word sketch with a scene taken out of context becoming really popular with the "I'm not racist but..." crowd.

The latter is unlikely because the types of things is criticizes it's black characters for aren't really the types of things that racists give a poo poo about. There's no "negative stereotypes are actually true!" moment in the film that I can really recall for that crowd to focus on. Still, it is never a good idea to underestimate idiots.

The former could happen though. The most cartoonish character in the movie is white and while even he is given depth he's pretty much the voice in the film that assures black people that since Obama racism is over and they really need to just calm down, which, y'know, might be a sore spot for some people. I mean in general people tent to react very badly to the idea that they're acting really insensitive without realizing it and that's like half of what this movie is about.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

This looks way too on-the-nose to be satirical and far too smug and self-satisfied to be entertaining.

Bad poo poo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That is one good lookin' group of kids.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

This looks way too on-the-nose to be satirical and far too smug and self-satisfied to be entertaining.

Bad poo poo.

That is pretty much what I was fearing going into this but it in my opinion it really avoids that pretty well. It's a movie that is critical of all of it's characters to varying degrees while trying to make them real people. It also doesn't suggest that "the answer is somewhere in the middle" nor is it is a South Parkesque "everyone is stupid for even caring" type of thing. It just presents it's issues as being complicated and the result of people who have arrived at their actions through their various worldviews. I also did find it to be pretty drat funny. I can't guarantee any given person will like it but it completely blew away my expectations, thus why I made a thread.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm definitely going to see this, even though I'm cringing just from the reaction to the title alone.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
This looks like a smart, hilarious satire of the Obama age.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

So this is a sequel to A Different World?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Bad poo poo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm definitely going to see this, even though I'm cringing just from the reaction to the title alone.

I hope it makes as many white people angry and uncomfortable as possible.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

raditts posted:

I hope it makes as many white people angry and uncomfortable as possible.

I think it looks kinda lame to be honest, I loved the first concept trailer, but from what ive seen so far it looks weak and toothless, but I'll watch it anyway

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bamboozled is one of my favorite movies ever, but as far as social satires go, I'm really not feeling this one.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

exquisite tea posted:

Bamboozled is one of my favorite movies ever, but as far as social satires go, I'm really not feeling this one.

It looks a little more School Daze than Bamboozled, honestly.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

exquisite tea posted:

I didn't really like Bamboozled. I haven't seen it in years but what sticks with me is how all over the map it was tonally.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

raditts posted:

I didn't really like Bamboozled. I haven't seen it in years but what sticks with me is how all over the map it was tonally.

Bamboozled would have been a better film in the hands of any number of other film makers. Spike's done some great stuff, but he just tends to go for so many different threads in his films, and they are so freaking inconsistent in whether they pay off or not. His lack of focus is so annoying sometimes.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
This movie and this thread are monumentally topical.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Bamboozled is a movie that I find aesthetically/cinematically displeasing on a number of levels, and it's so didactic that I feel a natural compulsion to reject it, but I can't because it is absolutely gutting and trenchant.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

raditts posted:

Ironically that's kind of what I like most about Bamboozled, you can rewatch the entire thing and cringe at a scene that was funny to you the first time, and vice versa. I do agree that it's really flawed, though. The subplot with Mos Def really didn't work for me and the movie as a whole could have been about 30 minutes shorter. Every line of dialogue from DWP I've seen has that bloggery "it's time to seriously talk about.." headline quality that I really can't stand.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 7, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DangerDummy! posted:

Bamboozled would have been a better film in the hands of any number of other film makers. Spike's done some great stuff, but he just tends to go for so many different threads in his films, and they are so freaking inconsistent in whether they pay off or not. His lack of focus is so annoying sometimes.

Who on earth could you see even approaching Bamboozled? The only other director who seems like they'd be nuts enough give it a shot is Lee Daniels.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The trailer makes it look like she's being serious when she says "black people can't be racist".

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

The trailer makes it look like she's being serious when she says "black people can't be racist".

Technically they can't, at least not in today's world in America. They can be prejudice, but, like she says in the clip, racism is prejudice on an institutionalized level and since black people don't control the institutions they don't current have the ability to be racist. That isn't to say black people wouldn't be capable of racism given the chance it's just currently they do not have the chance. It's a semantical argument that kind of ignores how the word has evolved to mean something more general but it's technically correct.

Putting all that aside, Samantha White is not a Mary Sue in the movie and not all her opinions are ones the movie needs you to agree with.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

precision posted:

They can't be, by her definition of racist. Racism has several definitions, and only one of them is "any racial prejudice." One of the other ones is predicated on being on top. You can only be racist if you're on top, and holding down those below you. By that definition, she'd be correct.

But again, in social theory, there is much debate about what the word racism actually means.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

axleblaze posted:

Technically they can't, at least not in today's world in America. They can be prejudice, but, like she says in the clip, racism is prejudice on an institutionalized level and since black people don't control the institutions they don't current have the ability to be racist. That isn't to say black people wouldn't be capable of racism given the chance it's just currently they do not have the chance. It's a semantical argument that kind of ignores how the word has evolved to mean something more general but it's technically correct.

Putting all that aside, Samantha White is not a Mary Sue in the movie and not all her opinions are ones the movie needs you to agree with.

It's only true if racism is (literally) black and white.

There are many accounts of race riots between black people and other minorities for many of the same reasons as poor whites rioted (labor, etc).

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
The problem is there is a clear tendency for people of colour to face significantly worse outcomes in society due to historical circumstance and ongoing prejudice at the highest levels of power on down. So if you don't clearly demarcate between racism as an oppressive system and the day to day prejudices everyone holds in one form or another you get the dominant group, white people, treating an rear end in a top hat who happens to be black being mean to them as an issue of equal or greater importance than people of colour being much less likely to get a job interview if they have an "ethnic" name.

Plus you increasingly have white supremacists labelling criticism of institutionalised inequality as "anti-white" racism.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I'm almost certain that that same character will end up being confronted with her own prejudices and racism, a la School Daze. It is a trailer, and trailers don't usually present the arc of a character first, just who they are before the arc occurs.

axleblaze posted:

It's a semantical argument that kind of ignores how the word has evolved to mean something more general but it's technically correct.

The second point is more important since it is just a movie we're talking about and not a fully formed person making an explicit statement of beliefs, but I'm going to argue that semantic revisionism is not "technically correct." Even within the realm of social theory, the argument for defining racism systemically seems to be entirely motivated by political pretense and not by social or historical accuracy. Defining racism as exclusively systemic is a fallacy of definition.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Not all black people look the same, but the cast of this movie sure as hell does.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Aggressive pricing posted:

Not all black people look the same, but the cast of this movie sure as hell does.

In what way?

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Look at that poster, there are actual siblings that don't look as much like each other as those four. I just hope it was intentional.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Aggressive pricing, does basic facial anatomy trip you out? 'Cause that's literally the only thing any of those faces have in common.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

K. Waste posted:

Aggressive pricing, does basic facial anatomy trip you out? 'Cause that's literally the only thing any of those faces have in common.

Really? Give Troy an afro and glasses, tilt his head the other way. Straighten Samatha's hair, make her up like Coco, and give her the same pose.

The differences in the appearences of those actors are incredibly superficial.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

...what?

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Think about all the variety that exists under the banner 'black people', how much do you see in that poster?

e: it's weird because of the teaser trailer, why make a point about black people being mistaken for each other, then use actors who, with a little work, could easily be mistaken for each other?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Wait, no, I wanna get to the bottom of this.

Really? Give Troy an afro and glasses, tilt his head the other way. Straighten Samatha's hair, make her up like Coco, and give her the same pose.

The differences in the appearences of those actors are incredibly superficial.

You mean aside from the the sizes and shapes of their noses, lips, length and thickness of their eyebrows, forehead size relative to their hairlines, and narrowness of their eyes? You also spelled appearances wrong.

Think about all the variety that exists under the banner 'black people', how much do you see in that poster?

Axleblaze, I know this is kinda your thread, but it would be like Christmas to me if we got him to explain some more.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

e: it's weird because of the teaser trailer, why make a point about black people being mistaken for each other, then use actors who, with a little work, could easily be mistaken for each other?

...what?

K. Waste posted:

Axleblaze, I know this is kinda your thread, but it would be like Christmas to me if we got him to explain some more.

Go nuts.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

axleblaze posted:

Nah, it's a redefinition by sociology majors of a very commonly understood word in order to more easily vilify their opponents.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008
I don't know, just seems like the casting director was looking for some specific face types, it's hard to see that as a coincidence. It could be the movie is making a point about how presentation can have as much an effect as race and the choices people make about themselves are at least as important as someone's colour.

e: hard to say without having seen the movie

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
How about we don't acknowledge him because he's, with almost 100% certainty, trolling?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It's a well known fact that a lot of goons have trouble distinguishing faces of different people. This has been brought up many times haha

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

rakovsky maybe posted:

Nah, it's a redefinition by sociology majors of a very commonly understood word in order to more easily vilify their opponents.

LEt me put this another way, the important thing in the movie is that the character believes this. Whether you think it's BS or not doesn't really matter. It's more of a thing that helps us know what kind of worldview she has. It can also be seen as the opposite side of the coin as the "racism is over because Obama" view that also comes up in the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Zzulu posted:

It's a well known fact that a lot of goons have trouble distinguishing faces of different people. This has been brought up many times haha

Or maybe goons suck at telling how photography tricks like lighting, pose, accessories, and makeup can alter the perception of a face.

• Locked thread