Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Haha, that is insane, dude. They are healthy and attractive young folks but they don't look THAT similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I look at those pictures of the main cast every time to post to make sure that your not just crazy but I'm pretty sure your just crazy (or trolling as SCH suggested).

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

rakovsky maybe posted:

Nah, it's a redefinition by sociology majors of a very commonly understood word in order to more easily vilify their opponents.
Sociologists don't have "opponents," and your insistence that they do lays bare your projections for all of us to see.

You're confusing racial prejudice for racism, and every explanation you give as to why you're right further outs you as thinking you're on one side of some kind of imagined war against white people.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

axleblaze posted:

I look at those pictures of the main cast every time to post to make sure that your not just crazy but I'm pretty sure your just crazy (or trolling as SCH suggested).

Ok, but if I am right it would add a layer of depth, moving the issue beyond just race to how a person can present themselves as a member of a race. Using relatively small differences in the appearances of the main cast and showing how those differences affect how others react to them would be a really strong move.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Aggressive pricing posted:

Really? Give Troy an afro and glasses, tilt his head the other way. Straighten Samatha's hair, make her up like Coco, and give her the same pose.

The differences in the appearences of those actors are incredibly superficial.

Yeah guys, if you totally change what they look like to resemble one of the other people, they would look exactly the same! I don't know how you can't see it, honestly.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Unusual to see a satire where the marketing just comes out and says "a satire about (x)". But then the trailer makes the movie look unsubtly didactic and pandery, so maybe being so on-the-nose is fitting.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Ok, but if I am right it would add a layer of depth, moving the issue beyond just race to how a person can present themselves as a member of a race. Using relatively small differences in the appearances of the main cast and showing how those differences affect how others react to them would be a really strong move.

That's what they're doing with costume design and characterization, not physical similarities which are way less pronounced than you're making them out to be.

raditts posted:

Yeah guys, if you totally change what they look like to resemble one of the other people, they would look exactly the same! I don't know how you can't see it, honestly.

I think he's surprised because he was expecting a National Geographic-style study of the different varieties of Black people.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

I will give you that the way the characters carry themselves has alot to do with them as people and how they want to be perceived. (probably some minor spoilers) Coco tries to downplay her black features, Troy doesn't downplay it but tries to present himself as a good example, Lionel just doesn't care, and Samantha tries to downplay her white features.

They still don't look alike though, so if they were trying to make that point, it would be kind of weird.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Maybe it's just the poster design but their skin tone seems fairly similar.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

Maybe it's just the poster design but their skin tone seems fairly similar.

It's the poster design.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

axleblaze posted:

They still don't look alike though, so if they were trying to make that point, it would be kind of weird.

I don't think that's weird, it's an opportunity to make the message stronger. By starting with actors who are basically similar in appearance, it makes the differences in the characters more pronounced. It makes them opposite sides of the same coin, your spoilers support this idea.

Or maybe I'm just crazy and racist, I wouldn't put it past me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lord Krangdar posted:

Unusual to see a satire where the marketing just comes out and says "a satire about (x)". But then the trailer makes the movie look unsubtly didactic and pandery, so maybe being so on-the-nose is fitting.

Much like how Whoopie Goldberg had to come to terms with her own racial prejudices in the 1995 satire "Theodore Rex," I'm sure this movie will also turn the lens of social criticism back unto itself.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

exquisite tea posted:

Much like how Whoopie Goldberg had to come to terms with her own racial prejudices in the 1995 satire "Theodore Rex," I'm sure this movie will also turn the lens of social criticism back unto itself.

I've never seen it, was she racist against dinosaurs? That's pretty hosed up. How could you be racist against dinosaurs?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

axleblaze posted:

Technically they can't, at least not in today's world in America. They can be prejudice, but, like she says in the clip, racism is prejudice on an institutionalized level and since black people don't control the institutions they don't current have the ability to be racist. That isn't to say black people wouldn't be capable of racism given the chance it's just currently they do not have the chance. It's a semantical argument that kind of ignores how the word has evolved to mean something more general but it's technically correct.

Putting all that aside, Samantha White is not a Mary Sue in the movie and not all her opinions are ones the movie needs you to agree with.

Oh yeah I get that and the rest of the trailer looked solid, it's definitely a movie that looks like it will at least be worth a watch. I just hope it doesn't disappear up its own rear end. About 3/4 of the trailer was really good, so I'm hopeful.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!

exquisite tea posted:

that dino dressed up as a mexican, and a opera singer, ahaha and whoopie pushed rambo down the stairs... why i do recall so much of that movie

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

LividLiquid posted:

Sociologists don't have "opponents," and your insistence that they do lays bare your projections for all of us to see.

You're confusing racial prejudice for racism, and every explanation you give as to why you're right further outs you as thinking you're on one side of some kind of imagined war against white people.

Sociologists don't, but sociology majors (particularly those at CCs) will assault anyone who disagrees with them with stuff they just learned in class earlier that day.

The trailer makes it look like a film version of a clickbait article about race. Hopefully it says something profound and won't just be a New York hipster version of "white people be driving like this."

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Pycckuu posted:

Sociologists don't, but sociology majors (particularly those at CCs) will assault anyone who disagrees with them with stuff they just learned in class earlier that day.

The trailer makes it look like a film version of a clickbait article about race. Hopefully it says something profound and won't just be a New York hipster version of "white people be driving like this."

That's kind of what attracts me to it, though. It seems to quite accurately recreate the social atmosphere of college.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
To me the poster design (and color correction) they did makes all 4 characters look similar in my eyes. When I saw the 1st trailer I realized how different they actually were.
:nws:Red band trailer is up: :nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs8H8qWkrxY
This was linked to me via FB by my girlfriend. I'm intrigued with this film since she's black & I'm a not-white guy that grew up in a predominately white place (i.e. white enough).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I've never seen it, was she racist against dinosaurs? That's pretty hosed up. How could you be racist against dinosaurs?

Speciesist, actually.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I'm interested in this film as a black dude that grew up in Whitesville, USA and the afro kid's story seems to mirror a lot of the crap I went through growing up. The exclusionary environment due to being neither black enough or white enough for each respective group is something that especially rings true, along with people randomly asking me to touch my hair. The hair thing still bothers me to this very day.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Android Bicyclist posted:

To me the poster design (and color correction) they did makes all 4 characters look similar in my eyes. When I saw the 1st trailer I realized how different they actually were.
:nws:Red band trailer is up: :nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs8H8qWkrxY
This was linked to me via FB by my girlfriend. I'm intrigued with this film since she's black & I'm a not-white guy that grew up in a predominately white place (i.e. white enough).

Yeah, watching the trailors* gave me a much better idea of the what the actors look like and they are quite different. Which is a bit of a shame, it would have been a bold and creative move for a movie about race relations to forgo physical stereotypes(nerd, jock, diva) and let the characters be defined by who rather than how they are.

*I don't watch trailors most of the time, I find they spoil a lot of scenes and plot points

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Yeah, watching the trailors* gave me a much better idea of the what the actors look like and they are quite different. Which is a bit of a shame, it would have been a bold and creative move for a movie about race relations to forgo physical stereotypes(nerd, jock, diva) and let the characters be defined by who rather than how they are.

*I don't watch trailors most of the time, I find they spoil a lot of scenes and plot points

I don't think you can watch trailors because those aren't a thing.

What is the difference between who someone is and how they are? Nerd, jock, and diva aren't physical stereotypes, they're social and cultural constructions that are informed largely by generalized notions groups of similar people. Obviously they have certain vague physical signifiers, but how someone styles themselves is a hugely important aspect of how we express who/how we are, not just in social but also in private contexts. These general physical/material signifiers actually compliment the racial themes rather than detract from them, because they demonstrate that vaguely prejudicial, limiting, but not necessarily directly harmful attitudes occur on a more general human level and aren't specific to a racial context or to a person's race.

The version of the story you're advocating where we actually forsake social variation and lump people together by phenotype isn't really that creative. That's pretty much what people already do naturally, and what the film seems to be critiquing.

Or maybe I'm just crazy and racist, I wouldn't put it past me.

Racist? Maybe. Crazy? No. That's giving racism a little too much credit.

"A human racist? Wow, that's nuts!"

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Just a heads up that this is getting it's limited NY/LA/DC/ATL release tommorow.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So far the movie has a pretty big disaparity on RT between the critic consensus and the audience:

I do wonder how many people that are rating it have actually seen it and how many are just annoyed by what they assume this movie is. Let's look what the RT boards have to say:

Oh.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

"Another political statement?" How many movies like this are there at one time?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

axleblaze posted:

So far the movie has a pretty big disaparity on RT between the critic consensus and the audience:

I do wonder how many people that are rating it have actually seen it and how many are just annoyed by what they assume this movie is. Let's look what the RT boards have to say:

Oh.

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/05/28/101-being-offended/

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

A.O. Scott loved it. Looks like this is going to do pretty well.

quote:

Dear White People” is the name of Justin Simien’s first feature film, and I’ll say right away that it is as smart and fearless a debut as I have seen from an American filmmaker in quite some time: knowing but not snarky, self-aware but not solipsistic, open to influence and confident in its own originality. It’s a clever campus comedy that juggles a handful of hot potatoes — race, sex, privilege, power — with elegant agility and only an occasional fumble. You want to see this movie, and you will want to talk about it afterward, even if the conversation feels a little awkward. If it doesn’t, you’re doing it wrong. There is great enjoyment to be found here, and very little comfort.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I contributed to the indiegogo campaign, so I'll definitely want to check this out.

It's reassuring to know that the film isn't just twitter hashtag rants loosely connected into a narrative but rather a nuanced piece that isn't entirely endorsing the politics of its characters. (All without pulling a South Park thing.) The lazy way probably would have been to make a "checklist script" trying to address too much in two hours at the cost of having actual characters and stories. (I've seen some semi-indie race-focused movies that try to do this and totally suck.)

Obviously the movie has that scene mocking Hollywood, Tyler Perry, etc. but I am curious how many topical cultural references there are. Does it reference The Help, Crash, The Blind Side, Lena Dunham, etc? I'm not saying it should or shouldn't; just curious. I know its YouTube channel has been putting out videos like fakewatching Scandal.

I probably have a lot of other questions, but I should probably watch first, then ask later.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The trailer kinda looks like crap but my interest is piqued by the positive reviews. Would be happy to see this in a theater of white people.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Vegetable posted:

The trailer kinda looks like crap but my interest is piqued by the positive reviews. Would be happy to see this in a theater of white people.

Haha, like enough white people are going to go see this to fill a theater.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

I'm looking forward to this movie a lot, and it's funny that white people are already getting all kind of offended by it when it looks to be as much about scrutinizing and mocking intraracial identity politics as much as anything else.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

Haha, like enough white people are going to go see this to fill a theater.

Oh, I'm sure a film about spoiled rich black kids getting upset about an Ivy League college party will play well with black audiences, too. They should have called it NPR: The Movie, because I can't think of another audience who would be even remotely interested in seeing it.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Saw it over the weekend, audience was I'd guess about 2/3 black to white. It was pretty good! It wasn't groundbreaking and didn't cut deeply to the heart of race in America in the 21st century or anything, but it was fairly entertaining and everybody seemed to enjoy their time.

It felt pretty clearly like the directors first film (because it is) in terms of plot pacing at times and the tightness of the editing. Slightly more amateur feel. That's not really a detraction, however, and I'd certainly be interested to see what the guy goes on to make next.

If you were looking for a seminal work on race relations I don't think you'll be satisfied. To be honest, I felt like even the movie Crash did a better job of showing just how hosed up our society is, but Dear White People still holds up a mirror to white privilege and that is always welcome.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

How are u posted:

but Dear White People still holds up a mirror to white privilege and that is always welcome.

*saunters past, notices mirror, adjusts hair, scratches purse-chihuahuas head, continues on*

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

How are u posted:

If you were looking for a seminal work on race relations I don't think you'll be satisfied. To be honest, I felt like even the movie Crash did a better job of showing just how hosed up our society is

Yeesh, that's pretty damning. Crash had all the nuance of an after-school special.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

raditts posted:

Yeesh, that's pretty damning. Crash had all the nuance of an after-school special.

Having not seen Crash, would you say it's more or less against racism than District 9 was against Apartheid?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I think he just means he was expecting a Black person to get beat up/shot/sexually assaulted or something. He wants to see how "hosed up" our society is.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's not really a movie that shows hate crimes or anything. Really, it's a movie about racism that people don't even think is all that bad. Like if you look at all the "Dead White Peoples" they mainly deal with shaming white people for doing casually racist things that they don't even think about in that way. This whole movie isn't about the big stuff. It's about the small irritating things that many white people don't even realize is a bad thing. Like the most egregious thing in the movie is people in blackface at the party in the end and even that isn't done out of hate as much as it is out of entitlement and ignorance.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

What a selling point. I just love movies that try to shame me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
If you aren't the type of rear end in a top hat that gets defensive about a movie potentially saying something negative that might apply to their lovely behavior, then it shouldn't be a problem :)

• Locked thread