Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Most of the indie/NJPW wrestlers that I've talked to have been really nice guys, especially Romero and Koslov.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

If you felt somebody was trying to gently caress with the livelihood of you and your friends, you might say something similar.

Nash by most accounts was a terrible person to have to work with unless you were one of his buddies but seems like a decent and generally chill guy outside of the business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Thauros posted:

Most of the indie/NJPW wrestlers that I've talked to have been really nice guys, especially Romero and Koslov.

Nash by most accounts was a terrible person to have to work with unless you were one of his buddies but seems like a decent and generally chill guy outside of the business.

Right, I'm just saying Eddie had his reasons.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Thauros posted:

I think Nash rubbed a lot of people the wrong way because he was flat in it for his own business... Which while selfish, is still a hell of a lot more understandable than actual malice. I doubt he hated anyone he buried or stepped on to get to his position, I frankly think he couldn't have cared less. Nash was in it for Nash. I'm reminded of another question he got it was like "How does it feel to know you never had a good match?" and he just thought on it and said, "Last week I got a check in the mail for $180,000 that's how I feel about it."

Then again, I'm some dingus overseas talking about poo poo after the fact with the only thing to go on being interviews and wrestler reports. The gently caress do I know?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Whenever Daniel Bryan is in the ring and the entire arena is chanting for him and he gets that smile on his face, I melt. The guy is hella chill, doesn't do any wrong by anyone, and seems so appreciative of everything he's gotten. He's my favorite Jim Henson look-alike.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Onmi posted:

I think Nash rubbed a lot of people the wrong way because he was flat in it for his own business... Which while selfish, is still a hell of a lot more understandable than actual malice. I doubt he hated anyone he buried or stepped on to get to his position, I frankly think he couldn't have cared less. Nash was in it for Nash. I'm reminded of another question he got it was like "How does it feel to know you never had a good match?" and he just thought on it and said, "Last week I got a check in the mail for $180,000 that's how I feel about it."

Then again, I'm some dingus overseas talking about poo poo after the fact with the only thing to go on being interviews and wrestler reports. The gently caress do I know?

If you embrace the fact that Nash sees wrestling as a hustle, it starts to become more clear. Work rate never was in his list of priorities.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
Libertarian-leanings aside, everything I've ever heard says Glen Jacobs is cordial as gently caress to fans and is the safest person in the business to work with.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Onmi posted:

He's loyal to his friends too, which while not necessarily great for WCW is a very good thing for a person to be. These days we're all :unsmith: over Scott Hall but back in the day when the guy was a walking deadpool punchline to wrestling fans, Nash stuck with him.

Kind of an obvious addition but John Cena has done over 450 appearances for the Make A Wish Foundation, which is pretty remarkable.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Another obvious one, but Mark Henry.

Everything I have heard about him has him being the sweetest nicest man ever. And After seeing him read the poem he wrote for Owen on air, and crying, I will always love this giant cuddly man.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The two biggest sweethearts I've ever met personally were Kana and Chris Hero. Chris Hero remembered my name, and meeting me two years prior after all we had was a 20 minute conversation. I met Kana at a Chikara show, where she was really excited to talk about video games, American fast-food, and FMW Wrestling (She really adores Onita), and tried her hardest to hold a whole conversation with me in English without using a translator.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

And for the record, I think saying Nash NEVER had a good match is just not true. There's more to putting on a good match than just the spots and the workrate. Nash may not be an all-time great technician or an flashy spot generating machine, but the guy knew how to make people care about his character and that's the most important thing in a wrestling match really. That's why Raven could get a monster pop just for standing up and staring somebody down after weeks of not wrestling at all.

A lot of people were comparing Roman Reigns to Nash/Deisel a few months back, and I certainly never saw it as an insult.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

I met Benoit when I was really little and told him that I liked his suplex and that it was cool when he used it to hurt other people and he said to be nice to others and then he let me hug him and now I feel real awkward because I told him I wanna grow up like him

this was my book report

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Onmi posted:

I can't hate Miz after the backstage video of him coming through the curtain and basically being in tears, hugging and thanking everyone.

Miz is someone that is quite literally living the dream, during his time in the real world that's all he wanted to be, a wrestler, he even carried around an old eagle belt and cut promos, hell the whole the miz thing was his persona on that show and now look at him, he's actually there on the big show, he's even had a title reign.

I also met him once and he was ridiculously nice, just seems like a guy that's very appreciate of the chance that he's been given.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Alteisen posted:

Miz is someone that is quite literally living the dream, during his time in the real world that's all he wanted to be, a wrestler, he even carried around an old eagle belt and cut promos, hell the whole the miz thing was his persona on that show and now look at him, he's actually there on the big show, he's even had a title reign.

I also met him once and he was ridiculously nice, just seems like a guy that's very appreciate of the chance that he's been given.

Not just a title reign, he Main Evented Wrestlemania alongside John Cena and was directly involved in the story of The Rock's return to the ring. He also defended his title against Jerry Lawler, one of the industry's biggest living legends.

It's easy to sit back and talk about how much Miz sucks, but I defy any wrestling fan to tell me they wouldn't take his place, and damnit if he doesn't try his best to give us a good show every night! That counts for something damnit, this is America :bahgawd:

I Love My Axe
Dec 30, 2009

Let's go Blue Pants!
Havok, simply because she's an amazing person all-around and has been a drat good friend to me. I won't get into specifics but I owe her a lot and I love her to death.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Lisa Marie Varon (Victoria) is legit one of nicest people I've ever met. Every time I see her she gives me a hug and asks why it's been so long. She also let me touch one of Macho Man's ring worn jackets.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Sanguinia posted:

And for the record, I think saying Nash NEVER had a good match is just not true. There's more to putting on a good match than just the spots and the workrate. Nash may not be an all-time great technician or an flashy spot generating machine, but the guy knew how to make people care about his character and that's the most important thing in a wrestling match really. That's why Raven could get a monster pop just for standing up and staring somebody down after weeks of not wrestling at all.

A lot of people were comparing Roman Reigns to Nash/Deisel a few months back, and I certainly never saw it as an insult.

Nash is essentially the king of "Minimum effort for maximum effect". He always knows the path of least resistance to getting the reaction he wants, which is a loving admirable quality for a wrestler.

Cody Rhodes, by all accounts, is a super nice dude to everyone. Goldust too, now he's clean.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Unsurprisingly I am going to say Prince Devitt and Becky Lynch. Devitt a bit quiet at times due to growing up in a seaside town, spending a lot of time in a non-English speaking Country also he is the contemplative athlete type but I do view him in high regard and a role model for Wrestlers. He's rather different than your standard American Wrestler who puts themselves over constantly in fact he kind of shuts down when you praise him directly. It is a very old fashioned form of praise but he strikes me as someone very well brought up. Even as a teenager he was very organised and professional. Made a really impact on his trainees and Wrestlers all over the World thinks he is a top dog. Really spread the wealth in terms of getting other people booked all over the World.

I am always happy to hear someone gush about meeting Becky Lynch. She is just an around sweetheart. Her bright personality, big cartoon eyes and expressionate face makes you feel like a million dollars talking to her. When she was conflicted about wrestling again it really bothered people around her as the prospect of her unhappy made them unhappy in this acute way. Just a person everyone likes.

Sheamus and myself have a mixed history but I believe him to be a nice guy. We squashed the beef if he truly remembers it last year. If both of us and the Irish scene were more mature at the time I don't all the drama would have happened.

Ric Flair has been an arsehole every time I've been in contact with him. Otherwise most Wrestlers have been really nice in my experience or if they weren't there obvious mitigating circumstances. Carlito and Raven were the biggest surprises in the nicest stakes at least towards me.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Edge is one of the nicest celebrities, not even just wrestlers but celebs in general, I've ever met in person. I met him just as he was coming up (before The Brood, so during his 'my whole gimmick is weird guy who smiles creepily and wears a pleather coat' phase) and it was still possible to talk to him if you saw him on the street. He was at MuchMusic to see a band and was super approachable.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

And in terms of the Scottish scene: Drew Galloway is amazing, dude just loving loves wrestling so much.

And of course, Grado is possibly the most enthusiastic man on the face of the earth about anything.

Tasky
May 7, 2008

Come on Bob! The WORLD WIDE WEB!

Onmi posted:

I can't hate Miz after the backstage video of him coming through the curtain and basically being in tears, hugging and thanking everyone.

I think my favourite part of that video is right at the beginning when he comes through the curtain and sticks his hand out to Triple H, doesn't immediately get the shake (Trips was applauding him with everyone else in Gorilla) and just kind of goes "Okay, well that ain't gonna ruin it", before he gets pulled back and man-hugged.

Also Alex Riley looking so happy for the guy the entire video. Or maybe happy for himself because his star was hitched to the appropriate wagon. CYNICISM!

Domalom
Mar 20, 2009

Gadzooks!
Devitt, Regal, Steen and Big E were all incredibly nice when I met them

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Luigi Thirty posted:

Big Sexy Kevin (Depeche Mode Fan) (The Best Ever) Nash is the best ever for about a million reasons.

He blocked me on Twitter, meaning I can never achieve my goal of getting the entire original nWo to retweet Barnacle Jim's face, but I still think he's very big and very sexy.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Claudio Castagnoli sent me a nice email once even though he had no real reason to.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I've met Kevin Steen on three occasions and he was always incredibly nice. A lot of guys at the ROH shows just sign, snap a pic and move on. Steen always tried to converse a bit, was genuine in appreciation whenever anyone commented on his work and never seemed like it was a chore to meet fans.

AJ was the same way in Wheeling. He had a massive line but was kind to everyone, made small talk, wasn't in a rush to filter through the crowd.

Nigel was loving awesome in Cincy. He hung out in the merch area during intermission, signed autographs and posed for pictures at no charge and was genuinely appreciative of every comment he received. At one point a bunch of people started raving about his documentary and a Thank You Nigel chant started up that really got him emotional.

The only ROH guy I've ever really seen be a dick is *SURPRISE* Davey, though even he wasn't really that bad. I was in line outside the Cincy venue waiting to get in and he walked by with his bag and a couple people made your standard "Hey Davey!" or "We Love You Davey" and he just coldly walked by and went inside. That's not really a major thing but typically most people give a nod or a wave or say Thanks.

Also, I've never met the guy myself, but I know a few people that have taken their kids to meet-and-greets around here with Kofi Kingston and they said he's possibly the nicest person on the planet.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
<- The gentleman villain just seems to give such a poo poo about this business. He seems like he takes so much pride in what he does and in getting the next generation ready and over.

Example, I remember him talking about pulling faces in the background of the ring introductions for World War 3 once in WCW because it would make him stand out and be more memorable to anyone at home who might not know him from the other 59 guys in the ring.

Compare that to his intro of Hideo Itami on NXT recently. When stuff started going down with Itami and the Ascension he stood still as a statue in the back corner of the ring, no faces, no nothing. Because the focus isn't on him anymore and he wasn't going to do anything to take away from Itami's moment.

And even aside from all of that, he agreed my tweet about Tajiri being the Baldric to his Blackadder so he's the loving man.

I've also had very fun and nice interactions with Colt Cabana, Paul London and the most of the Chikara roster.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Nigel McGuinness is a cool funny guy and I am sad he didn't make it big. I love that man.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

This weekend on ROH TV at the beginning of a Michael Bennett match, a couple of fans threw streamers at him that read "Happy Birthday" (since it was his birthday), and he just had the biggest grin on his face.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I met Shelton Benjamin and Big Show years ago and they were both really cool. Show is a super nice guy.

Someone back in the wrestlehut days related a story about meeting an old wrestler who was a bit of a goofy guy but cool to meet and as they parted ways he told the poster "Stay out of jail!" Years later, he happened across the wrestler again, who saw him like across a parking lot or something, identified him, and happily yelled "YOU STAYED OUT OF JAIL!"

I want to say it was one of the Funks. I always loved that story.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Sanguinia posted:

Not just a title reign, he Main Evented Wrestlemania alongside John Cena and was directly involved in the story of The Rock's return to the ring. He also defended his title against Jerry Lawler, one of the industry's biggest living legends.

It's easy to sit back and talk about how much Miz sucks, but I defy any wrestling fan to tell me they wouldn't take his place, and damnit if he doesn't try his best to give us a good show every night! That counts for something damnit, this is America :bahgawd:

I'm always left wondering how Miz keeps a straight face working with Sandow right now, because you know they're both having -way- too much fun.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DJExile posted:

I met Shelton Benjamin and Big Show years ago and they were both really cool. Show is a super nice guy.

Someone back in the wrestlehut days related a story about meeting an old wrestler who was a bit of a goofy guy but cool to meet and as they parted ways he told the poster "Stay out of jail!" Years later, he happened across the wrestler again, who saw him like across a parking lot or something, identified him, and happily yelled "YOU STAYED OUT OF JAIL!"

I want to say it was one of the Funks. I always loved that story.

It was Terry Funk.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It was Terry Funk.

Of course.

Nigel and Jim Cornette were both super nice to me when I met them, as was Flair, and even Davey Richards was cool to me at an ROH show.

Necro Butcher, for all his other faults, has always been friendly, and helped a friend of mine deal with his car getting vandalized near the ECW arena.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Gotta be Drake Younger. I don't think I've ever seen someone so drat positive (in wrestling or anywhere else).

:unsmith:

:allears:

Edit of sorts:

Booker T's story, where he came from to where he is now, is also really charming and I've never read any kind of crappy dirt on him.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SylvainMustach posted:

Booker T's story, where he came from to where he is now, is also really charming and I've never read any kind of crappy dirt on him.

I was at a Smackdown house show last year (or the year before) and Booker was there wrestling, one thing I remember is how happy he looked as he walked around the ringside and high fiving everyone, just smiling away

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
The Rock is so loving cool.

My girlfriend met Chris Jericho when he was in town for a Fozzy concert and he's apparently the most polite guy in the world.

Mark Henry is legit one of the strongest motherfuckers ever and I am completely in awe of him.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
A few people I like and some I appreciate for their perspective.

The Rock - Always came off to me as a super chill and nice guy who cares about wrestling and putting people over even pre-Hollywood. When Hollywood came aknocking he COULD have cut-off ties to pro wrsetling completely like actors do when they get hot. Instead, he came back and got himself into loving shape shaking off ring rust with Curtis Axel (and thanking him for it) and going to the gym hardcore. He developed a convincing character, gave amazing promos and put a lot of true effort into his matches. He didn't have to do any of that, he could have waved to the crowd and collected his paycheque but instead of showed respect to the business. I respect that.

Mick Foley - Yeah, the guy is alittle mopey and clingy and is a little goony when it comes to flirting with women. But the guy does honest work for RAINN, I chalk up some of his bizarre moments to the brain damage he suffered and overall is a good family man. I respect that.

Jim Cornette - We need more people like Jim Cornette that just states his opinions bluntly and plainly and screw anyone who says "...uh, you can't say that" if there is truth to it.

Triple H - I don't really care for him in the ring. But the guy knows wrestling (as emphathized earlier) and the roster and especially developmental talent pool is a hundred million times better than the Johnny Ace reign of terror. He's bringing up an impressive array of indy talent (oddly enough, what TNA was doing in 2004-05 before poo poo went down) and giving them a chance and overall I want him to take over from Vince.

Stone Cold Steve Austin - He's mellowed out with age, has some good wisdom and is almost an elder at this point in how he's able to share his knowledge with the new generation via his podcast.

The Undertaker - The man respects the industry, is humble towards it and doesn't put up with poo poo from uppity newbies who lip him off. I appreciate that.

Eddie Guerrero - Saw him at a house show in 2003 and when the "Eddie!" chant broke out, he paused and smiled and waved to the crowd. It was all genuine, he wasn't a face milking a reaction, he was legit appreciative of people cheering his name. I liked that act of humility.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

DukeofCA posted:

Libertarian-leanings aside, everything I've ever heard says Glen Jacobs is cordial as gently caress to fans and is the safest person in the business to work with.

According to Steve Austin in an interview with a UK wrestling podcast, Kane is "a real sweetheart". When the same podcast had Kane on and they let him know about Austin's comments, Kane tried to limply protest that he wasn't a sweetheart in order to salvage some tough guy monster cred, but you could tell he was genuinely moved by it.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I believe in John Cena.

wrong thread

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Larry Sweeney was one of the nicest dudes I've met in wrestling and that makes what happened to him so heartbreaking in retrospect.

Colt Cabana spent ten minutes talking to me about UCB and Chris Gethard when he was just hanging out at a show and seemed stoked to be talking to folks about comedy (this was before he did standup/AoW was a thing).

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Eddie Edwards hung out at the bar that held a show for like 2 hours drinking with stereotypical wrestling fans 2-3 years ago. He was taking pictures with anyone that wanted one. Then at some point someone asked for a chop... And then we all started taking chops from Eddie Edwards. It didn't hurt a ton because I assume he's responsible enough to pull it a bit and I was pretty drunk. But it was pretty loud and itched like a mother fucker for the next couple of days. My friend that took one literally had a hand print on his chest when he sent me a picture later on. It was like the shroud of turin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Shine posted:

Mark Henry is legit one of the strongest motherfuckers ever and I am completely in awe of him.

Over 2200 lbs combined, and he looked like he could have done more on all three. :drat:

• Locked thread