Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

This is Marvel's new event Axis. What, you think the Logo says Sixis? That's crazy talk, it OBVIOUSLY says Axis. And no that's not the Green Goblin in the background. That's OBVIOUSLY the Hobgoblin, he's in this event too!

So what is this?

So this is the thread to discuss Marvel's upcoming event, Axis. It's a crossover that features the Avengers and X-Men but will run through a number of Marvel books from October to December. Already there have been some books involved in the March to Axis, but we'll discuss them below.
The series itself is running in a single book. called Avengers & X-Men: Axis. It's a 9 issue series running over the three months, written by Rick Remender and drawn by a team of artists including Adam Kurbert, Lenil Francis Yu, Terry Dodson and Jim Cheung. It's going to be three issues a month, provided nothing slips. (Which it could easily.)

There are going to be a number of tie in Axis series which almost certainly won't be important (unless they are.) and a number of titles are going to Crossover into the series.

So what's the rough plot to the series?

Basically the Red Skull has gained near unlimited psionic powers. He is using these powers to broadcast madness and hate all over the world to result in world wide anarchy. It's going to take a whole lot of heroes teaming up to stop him.
But to drag things out and stop the story ending with Hyperion punching him into space make things more difficult, the Red Skull has made a number of heroes and villains Inverted! So old man Steve Rogers has to build a team out of a small number of unaffected heroes like Nova and Spider-Man.

Ah, so the Red Skull has mind controlled everyone into being his slaves?

Not quite. From what little we know, the heroes and villains aren't going to be full on mind slaves. Nor are people being changed into comical, baby eating bad guys who just need to be told to snap out of it by a tearful Jubilee.
No the gist of Inversion is that a characters memories and personality is kept the same, but some core belief is changed to it's polar opposite.

So, for example Luke Cage will go from being a principled man of the people who wants social change, to a guy who wants to be paid and paid well to use his super powers.
Carnage is going to go from being a psychopath with an uncontrollable desire to kill to a psychopath with an uncontrollable desire to do good.

In theory the idea behind Inversion will allow writers to explore characters and tell interesting stories. By making a character into the direct opposite, it will allow the reader to reflect on what REALLY are the core characteristics of our favourite heroes and villains, and how they have changed.

In practice we will probably get some hodgepodge of good and terrible idea, where some writers will tell interesting stories and others will just use it as an excuse to make everyone into Bizarros like Kulh. (Get it, it's Hulk backwards, and he's angry at EVERYTHING!)

The reason the thread title talks about alignment is in D&D terms there is a thing called the Axis of alignment. It is designed to give a snapshot of how a character operate. A character who is Lawful Good will obey laws and help out the weak. If you changed alignment on him, he would likely change to Lawful Evil. He will still (mostly) obey the law, but in a way to benefit and enrich himself and leave people to suffer as that's someone elses job.

Enough of that D&D Nerd poo poo, I want to know about Comic poo poo!

Okay here are the titles involved.

The Main Title.
Avengers & X-Men: Axis 1-9.

The main series and potentially all you need to read. Until you need to read other series.

The Tie In Series.

Axis: Revolutions 1-4.

This is a companion series written by Denis Hopeless. It's supposed to be about all the other characters during Axis, so this series will probably about what happens to Speedball and D-Man when they get Inverted.

Axis: Hobgoblin 1-3.
It's written by Kevin Shinick, who wrote Robot Chicken. It looks like it's going to be a black comedy take at what happens when a cowardly, badguy Roderick Kingsley get's made into a cowardly good guy. From the looks of the unlettered art, this could be okay.

Axis: Carnage 1-3.
It's written by Rick Spears. It looks like it's going to be a black comedy take at what happens when a psychopath (Cletus Cassidy) with no understanding of right and wrong tries to become a good guy. From the looks of the unlettered art, this is going to be an ugly, unpleasant book. And I'm not sure why you want to do two black comedy books about villains.

The Crossover issues.
Ho-boy. A ton.
But for those wondering here are a list of the following crossover issues.

• All New X-Factor #15-18
  • Avengers World # 15-16
  • Captain America and the Mighty Avengers # 1- 2.
  • Deadpool #36-39
  • Inhumans # 9-10.
  • Loki: Agent of Asguard # 7-9
  • Magneto # 11-12
  • Nova # 23-25.
  • Superior Iron-Man # 1-2.
  • Wolverine and the X-Men # 12.

Hey there is a lot of characters missing from this list.

Yeah when it's actually put out in a full list, this crossover does seem much smaller than things like Civil War, in that a large number of books are avoiding this. In particular many new books (Jason Aaron's Thor, Angella and Winter Soldier) are staying clear of this. The Spider books are off doing the Spider-Verse storyline. Wolverine is doing a Death of Wolverine story. (But for those of you who want a hairy, Canadian in your event book, Sabertooth will be taking up that roll.)
And, kind of crucially, Jonathan Hickman's Avengers are hiding out having time skipped eight months ahead of time. So they are sort of showing what the results of the Axis's timeskip in that book. All the while continuing their Incursion plotlines.

All these changes seem like they are going to be super short term.

Oh almost certainly most of the Inversion stuff isn't going to last long. There's no way we will be talking about Carnage's long stint as an Avenger in 10 years time. But some characters may be effected by this status quo for a while.
Of the new books launching out of this, the Superior Iron-Man is most interesting. It will involve a Tony Stark who has decided to make huge amounts of money by selling his technology and shrugging his shoulders at the consequences. In this case that means releasing Extremis into San Francisco and letting people make themselves into genetically perfect specimens. The series is being written by Tom Taylor (who has form for writing heroes turned jerks in Injustice and Earth 2) so this looks like being Tony's new jerky status quo.

Sam Wilson as the new Captain America is launching in two books (one where he leads the Mighty Avengers, and his own solo book.) Sadly their run may be hamstrung if they are tied into a crosssover which is about heroes being jerks, so if a Sam Wilson book launches with him as a Jingoistic rear end in a top hat, that will impact on his run as a hero.

This sounds interesting. If I want more background to all this, where can I go?

Well if you want more on the background look at Rick Remender's Uncanny Avenger's run. Issue's 1-5 give background as to how the Red Skull got so much super psycic powers. And issues 23 and 24 also further deals with that.
Cullen Bunn's Magneto run (particularly 9-10) are also pretty important about how Magneto became so focused on standing up for Mutants and it looks like he's going to play a really big roll in all this.
Captain America # 24 and 25 setup the current Sam Wilson status quo.
Lastly Loki 6 is a really nice fun Dr. Doom/ Loki story and ties into all this.

I hate crossovers, why shouldn't I ignore this?

Good point. For all the hammering I have given it, Marvel have actually been 2/2 on the last two crossovers. The general conciousness here is that Infinity and Original Sin were both really good, so Marvel are going to try going 3 for 3. And aside from the fact that the main series is 9 issues long, there are not TOO many issues. And the idea of Inversion should lead to fun storylines, if not funny panels for years to come.

Anything else I should know?

Yeah from this point onwards, we are just going to call this crossover Sixis or Sixaxis. You know, after the gimmick that the PS3 controller has. Just roll with it, that is how things are.

Still stay tuned to this thread and we'll let you know how the series develops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Wanderer posted:

Well, no, but Magneto didn't try something first, gently caress it up, then come crying to Uncle Doom to fix the problem.

Technically he did. Magneto tried killing the Red Skull and it ended up causing Red Onslaught. Then he tried to help the Avengers and X-Men fight them and when that failed (Thanks for that Obama Nova!) he went to Doom.

Still despite all that, I can easily see why Doom and Loki are totally happy to stop what they are doing and go help Magneto. I mean, it's not like he's Namor or anything.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah, I don't know what Remender was thinking by having Captain Falcon immediately be an rear end in a top hat, even if it was mind control or whatever. And Steve is still Steve who should be Captain America and right now you've got a character that fell flat on his face. It's a far cry from BuckyCap who was awesome and could favorably compare to Stever from start to finish.

I should put out four issues into this that I did make this point in the Original Post (and how terrible Kluh would be, even if Sad Hulk was a nice Inversion.)

That being said I was half wrong about Axis Hobgoblin and Axis Carnage.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

Carnage is already solicited to show up in Nova after AXIS. Remember how he wrote down Sam's name and said that he will have to remember him for being such a cool kid? Yeah.

I was just about to post this.

I particularly like how an innocent comment from Sam (because hey he's a kid. He won't automatically know the name of every serial killer.) has potentially caused a super maniac to fixate on him.

• Locked thread