Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Little Mac posted:

Did we see Scott/Evan/Quentin get taken to Genosha anywhere? I'm wondering if Magneto's helmet didn't fall of somewhere and all of that's a Red Skull illusion. Quentin also got gutted off-panel which is really weird.

I liked Axis a lot. It's very cinematic and works well if you've been liking Uncanny Avengers.

I think Quentin might have just fallen next to a puddle and the colorist thought it was supposed to be blood? I can see him getting knocked out off panel but I don't think they meant to eviscerate the dude.

Did we know about the Genosha re-education camps from Uncanny Avengers? I don't remember that poo poo coming up at all in WATXM, Storm, All-New or Uncanny X-Men prior to this. :catstare: I only list those because those're the X books I'm reading right now, though I'm an issue or two behind in Uncanny and All-New.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

muscles like this? posted:

It was largely featured in the latest issue of Magneto.

Aah, okay. Figures it only turns up in the stuff I'm not reading, haha. I knew Uncanny and All-New didn't have tie in issues but it still feels a little weird to have 0 mention of something seemingly major to mutantkind as a whole get mentioned. Oh well! Comics!

I think this issue probably reads a lot better for people reading the books it's specifically spinning out of. As it is, I was confused and didn't much like it. (The only book that's tying in to it that I read is Loki, which didn't have anything to do with #1 here.)

But yeah, thanks everyone for clearing it up.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

coconono posted:

Steve Rogers is old now. I guess I missed something.

Steve Rogers being old is the reason Falcon's replacing him. Cap's too busy looking like Clint Eastwood and not having powers to be able to superhero it up. It's incredibly dumb. (I like Falcon as Cap conceptually, I just hate the old Steve Rogers thing. What can ya do.)

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

SirDan3k posted:

It's also kinda dumb because there is basically no way for it to end that isn't kinda racist, Sam either dies and proves himself less competent then a white guy or he steps down and acknowledges he's less competent then a white guy.

Going back to Axis - I'm really not liking Sam's outing as Cap in this book at all. The first introduction we get to him leading the team is ... him under Onslaught's influence, insulting his own teammates. I know there's ~mind control~ bullshit happening, but it just seems like a really bad way to partly introduce the guy who's replacing Captain America.

I do think he can just step down when Steve is de-aged or whatever the hell; that's not necessarily going to mean he's less competent, just that Steve came first and he's (hopefully) willing to respect that. If that's what they do, I mean. Stepping down doesn't mean he's not as good, I don't think. v :) v

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

I find it incredibly :psyduck: that Tony's database doesn't have villains in it because ... uh ... villains aren't a threat, I guess? What the hell, past Tony. It just seems like a really silly and contrived excuse to get the villains together. Don't get me wrong, the villain team owns and is the only interesting part of this event so far, but ... what.

This book was at least a little better than the first, I guess. It's relying a little heavily on tie-ins - I read Loki before I read this issue and was cool with Magneto loving off for half the issue, but another friend of mine is only reading the main event and was confused as gently caress about him just loving off and thought the pacing of that seemed weird.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

He has a different villain database.

Oooh, okay. Sure. I'll accept that, I guess.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

I keep thinking the inversion could be really fun, but we're a third in and haven't really gotten to it yet. Unless Falcon-Cap acting like a huge rear end in a top hat and lovely leader 24/7 is part of him being inverted?

I can't get over how unlikeable most of the characters are in this. It's seriously impressive. Also impressive: having the same spell interrupted in the same way twice. Good job, Remender! I can't help but feel he could have removed Dr Strange from the equation the first time and hopped straight to having Doom do it without having Strange and Wanda get interrupted a second time, you know? It's just. Why would you waste time having the same thing happen twice?

Also Sentinels are like the least-urgent threat ever so, uh, good job on having those be part of the threat in the first bit of the event. I'm thinking about this thing too much and it's only making me mad.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

I get the 'heroes are jerks now!' concept, but I feel really weird and conflicted over how Cap is acting. Like ... this is going to spill over into the new FalconCap series and Cap & the Mighty Avengers. Starting the dude's run with him being an rear end in a top hat feels like ... I don't know, it's just getting off on the wrong foot for me.

This issue was pretty bad all around though. I felt hopeful at the end of 3 because the villains vs Red Onslaught fight was kind of neat, but the only redeemable part of this issue for me was the Carnage section. I should probably have just bought the Carnage tie-in and gave this a pass, but I didn't know. :negative: I didn't know ...

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Man, Spidy and Sam's buddy stuff was the best. This issue really should have been issue 3, or even 2.

Yeah, I enjoyed all their scenes together. It's got me wanting to pick up the Nova tie-in issues. I read the first few issues of his series and I'm not sure why I stopped. Kluh is so loving dumb, though. I can't believe how dumb that concept is. It's a dumb event but Kluh is next-level dumb.

I think issue #5 worked better than the previous 4 overall, honestly. Seeing the inversion-Avengers going full-on evil mode was kinda necessary; previously they'd just been really snippy and vaguely jerk-ish but not doing anything with that. This time they went ahead and turned it up to 11 which is all I really wanted from this event. If this issue'd come earlier on I would be much less annoyed about this event, but instead the first four were drawn out bullshit with only a few cool scenes. (I liked Carnage's scene in 4, and the villain team-up at the end of 3 was great.)

... Now I'm suddenly wondering what the hell the inversion event actually meant for Magneto, though. He seems to be mostly just acting like himself. :confused:

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

The HULK'S HULK thing is even dumber because there was already a Kluh and he was a hilarious one-off joke character in an issue from like 3 years ago.

CONFIRMED: Axis would be way better with that Kluh instead. :colbert:

Also, this week's issue was super boring. Good lord. The speech from Apocalypse was kind of cool, despite there being literally no art on the page. Wanda looked really cool in her fight against Doom, but that scene ended before it could go anywhere. The Tony stuff felt like a retread. Not sure what the point of the Thor & Loki bit was. I don't know. The pacing on this is so loving weird. Why am I still reading it. Who am I.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Nevvy Z posted:

The Thor and Loki bit setup stuff that happened in revolutions and loki's comic. It was also a bit redundant. This event is a special kind of lovely because it doesn't even have wasted potential like most of the last bunch. I don't even know how they would do a What If? for it. "What If a different character had been inverted?" Let's watch daredevil be an rear end in a top hat for an issue. WOO?

I think my favorite part was how some of the dialogue/events were just recreated exactly between the two books. Okay! Thanks! Axis!

This is paced so badly and it's so dumb and I just ... :negative: I really thought it could be a goofy/fun thing, if stupid as hell, and it's ... yeah. Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Dacap posted:

If Wanda and Pietro turn out to not be mutants, I wonder how they'll explain Pietro losing his powers after M-Day

What I want to know is, if they're apparently not mutants ... how were they never tested for the X-gene or whatever? Did no one bother doing that ever, for real? :psyduck:

• Locked thread