Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Androc
Dec 26, 2008

In a palace of shifting illusions, Byron (Tollymain) and Aria (GMarshal) will pierce the endless reflections! Who will emerge triumphant?

quote:

Magocracy of Willat
Council of Mirrors
The meeting place of the magisterial council is a place rife with magical power and ancient symbolism. Magisters customarily enter masked, and an interlocking mechanism of mirrors makes it impossible to judge anyone's location. It's one of the true wonders of the modern world. You're gonna smash it up.

Entry: Use the 7-space board, characters start one space away from each edge.

Mechanics: If an attack would miss your opponent and its range includes any empty spaces, put a shatter token on one of the empty spaces at the end of the beat. During recycle, any player that is neither stunned nor standing on a shatter taken may move to any empty space without a shatter token on the same half of the board (this always includes the center space; a player in the center space may move to either half). Players make this move in order of highest to lowest priority.

Turning point: When there are 5 3 shatter tokens on the board, flip this card.

Magocracy of Willat?
The Shattered Labyrinth
As the mirrors break, their magic is unleashed; the council chamber is transformed from an elaborate parlor trick to a nightmarish maze of distorted distances and impossible architecture. Only the strongest will escape!

Entry: Use the 7-space board, players start in their previous positions. Both players gain two distortion tokens.

Mechanics: At the end of each even-numbered beat, both players gain a distortion token. During the ante step, a player may spend a distortion token to move to any empty space on the board.

Players, submit your finishers and discards!

Androc fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh my, this is going to be interesting.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Oh, and Aria please also state which droid you want to start with.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Aria
20 life
Discard 1: Laser Dash
Discard 2: Ionic Grasp
Finisher: Laser Lattice

Byron
20 life
Discard 1: Breathless Smoke
Discard 2: Soulless Dash
Finisher: Soulgate

pre:

Beat 1!
Byron

Aria

Reveal: Aria is not at range 3; her attack cannot stun this round! At priority 8, Aria is the active player.

Aria advances one space and attacks at range 3, hitting Byron and destroying one mask.

pre:

Byron strikes at range 2-4 and hits for 4. Byron moves Aria, but it doesn't matter where because she teleports away.

pre:

Byron, how will you move?

Androc fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 8, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh hell, forgot to bookmark the thread

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Aria, how many spaces will you advance?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Advance one so that the opponent is at range 3, hit for one damage, opponent is stunned, EoB move to the far right corner, behind the Dampening Turret. Choose not to move using the arena's special rule

TheCog fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 8, 2014

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Unfortunately, stunning is no longer possible; the trigger on dimensional specifically takes place at reveal, not at hit or damage. Do you still want to advance the same amount?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Androc posted:

Unfortunately, stunning is no longer possible; the trigger on dimensional specifically takes place at reveal, not at hit or damage. Do you still want to advance the same amount?

Oh derp. Sure, going to get hit anyway, might as well get rid of a mask.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Byron, how will you move Aria?

Once that's decided, how will you move?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pull her up next to me.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Aria is at range 3; deathless doesn't trigger, so you can only move her one space.

However, the arena effect allows you to move to any space afterwards.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Androc posted:

Aria is at range 3; deathless doesn't trigger, so you can only move her one space.

However, the arena effect allows you to move to any space afterwards.

Actually, on damage triggers after on hit, so he can push me back to range 4 and teleport me anywhere, but EoB Dimensional lets me move anywhere anyway, so it doesn't matter, I think.

I'd like to wind up behind the dampening droid to the far right. (Unless I completely misunderstood the whole situation, again)

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

GMarshal posted:

Actually, on damage triggers after on hit, so he can push me back to range 4 and teleport me anywhere, but EoB Dimensional lets me move anywhere anyway, so it doesn't matter, I think.

I'd like to wind up behind the dampening droid to the far right. (Unless I completely misunderstood the whole situation, again)

I believe that's correct, though Byron has to make his move per the arena (if desired) before your end of beat trigger since he's the active player. I think.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I'm not actually sure if recycle is before or after EoB, so I'll defer to your judgement on that.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

According to the rulebook, end of beat effects take place during recycle. So, yeah, first Aria's effect resolves as the active player (I misspoke when I said Byron was active earlier), then Byron has the choice of moving through the mirrors. Still want to move behind the dampening droid?

By the way: when I originally wrote the flip condition for this arena, movements took place simultaneously during ante instead of sequentially at recycle. Consequently, the number of shatter tokens it would take to flip assumed that neither player would necessarily know where their opponent was for significant portions of the match. Since that's no longer the case, would it be alright with you guys if I reduced it from, say, 5 to 3, or would you rather play it out rules as written?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Yeah, i'll stick to my guns.

I'm ok with changing the arena.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Alright: Byron, how will you move?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll stay right here thank you :downs:

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

What's your opinion on the arena change?

(Writing up Beat 2 right now)

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Beat 2
Aria
16 life
Discard 1: Dimensional Drive
Discard 2: Laser Dash
Byron
16 life
Discard 1: Deathless Grasp
Discard 2: Breathless Smoke

pre:

Byron

Aria

At priority 4, Byron is the active player!

Heartless strike misses at range 3, placing a shatter token on the furthest space!

After that's done, Aria hits at range 5 for 2 damage, failing to break Byron's stun guard.

Byron moves one space forward.

pre:

Aria, how will you move?

Androc fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 10, 2014

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Byron, where do you place a token and how do you move?

Also, still need to know if you're cool with changing the flip condition to three tokens.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah sure

shatter the space on ARIA's side of the board, move one space closer.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Aria, how do you move?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

To the middle space please.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Beat 3
Aria
16 Life
Discard 1: Catalyst Shot
Discard 2: Dimensional Drive

Byron
9 Life
Discard 1: Heartless Strike
Discard 2: Deathless Grasp

pre:

At priority 10, Aria is the active player! Aria dashes past Byron, switching sides and blocking his attack.

pre:

Androc fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 11, 2014

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Aria, how will you move?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

First going to put down a Magneton droid with Photovoltaic, then advance 1 to switch sides with the opponent.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Byron, how many spaces will you advance?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's safe to assume i can only advance 1 :v:

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Not gonna bother updating since it's just the one move. In any case, nobody's stunned, so: Aria, where will you move?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Back to the middle square.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Staying where I am.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also I should have been able to put down a shatter marker.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

My fault, I forgot about the range boost from your style. Though, there was only one valid space for it and shatter tokens aren't a 'may' trigger so it's not like it needed your input anyway. :v:

Writing a new post now.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Beat 4
Aria
16 life
Discard 1: Photovoltaic Dash
Discard 2: Catalyst Shot

Byron
9 life
Discard 1: Faceless Drive
Discard 2: Heartless Strike

pre:

Aria

Byron

At 5 priority, Aria is the active player. Regardless of whether Aria chooses to pull Byron, Byron's burst forces him to stay in the corner.

Aria advances two spaces and successfully strikes Byron for 3 damage, stunning him. At end of beat, she returns to her original space.

Androc fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 13, 2014

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Aria, how many spaces will you advance?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Advance 2, during recycle I'd like to teleport back to the middle square.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Beat 5

Aria
16 life
Discard 1: Ionic Drive
Discard 2: Photovoltaic Dash

Byron
6 life
Discard 1: Deathless Burst
Discard 2: Faceless Drive
Finisher: Soulgate

pre:

Aria

Byron

At 7 priority, Aria is the active player. Byron is at range 3, adding 2 power to Aria's attack pair.

Aria, how will you move?

Androc fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
huh. i really thought i went with shot there for some reason.

past me, what were you high on? i want some (again)

• Locked thread