Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
First tribal is in 30 min right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

DaisyDanger posted:

First tribal is in 30 min right?

Well, 20 now.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

DaisyDanger posted:

I mean I don't have the day off but I'm just really getting into the spirit of the game

Really commit to the whole thing and live as your spirit animal the survivor

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
I've been wearing the same clothes since Sunday and wading in dirty puddles in my backyard to clean off. I'm all in, man.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
SNAFU, welcome to your first tribal council. Behind each of you is a torch; go ahead: grab one and dip it into the fire. In this game, fire represents life, and when your torch goes out, so do your chances of claiming victory and the $75 grand prize.

During tribal council, you will NOT be permitted any outside communication with each other. You may only speak within the confines of the thread. We’re here tonight to have a conversation that will help you decide who you want to vote out of this game.

Similarly, there is to be absolutely no chatter in the thread by anybody from any of the other tribes, nor from any spectators.

Here’s how it’s going to work: I’m going to begin with a question, and since it applies to all of you, you may each make an answer. Beyond the first five responses, I’d like to see you quoting each other in order to speak further. You may veer the thread of conversation as you see fit; the question is intended as a launching point. As the conversation develops, I may interject with more pointed follow-ups.

At the very least, you must make at least one post before your vote will be counted. If your vote is invalid, or if you fail to cast a vote before deadline (8:30pm EST), a penalty vote will be cast against you.

So, let’s get to it.

With only five people on your tribe, each one of you is left very exposed. With nowhere to hide, what have you done to distinguish yourself as an asset? What are you looking for when you go to cast your own vote tonight?

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I've tried to get to know everyone on my tribe and start to build a true team. All I am looking for when going to cast my vote is what will ultimately strengthen the tribe the most.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Hah, since after a really nice stroke of misfortune (drat YOU POINTY HAT WAIFU :argh:) we find ourselves in council after only 3 days, there has not been a whole lot of distinguishing so far. I guess I have tried my best to assist in the choices during the challenge, staying up til 3 am even though I had work today to show my dedication to silly internet games.

With regards to the vote, man where to start. I did not know my other tribesmates and the couple days we have passed together were barely enough to start to get to know each other and to see links appear. So I'm going into this vote wondering for who the hell I am going to vote, no obvious choice seems to offer itself. I guess it has to hit one of us tonight and whoever I end up voting for : no hard feelings man, this early in the game it really is just bad luck. :shrug:

Let's cross our fingers and pray to Propaganda Machine that the gods will guide our choice :worship:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Man come to think of it this council is salty bet goon edition.

4 goons to chose from and no loving clue which one is OP.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

garthoneeye posted:

I've tried to get to know everyone on my tribe and start to build a true team. All I am looking for when going to cast my vote is what will ultimately strengthen the tribe the most.
Very heartfelt. Very inspiring. Truly an astounding display of bullshit. The audience must be riveted.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Poison Mushroom posted:

Very heartfelt. Very inspiring. Truly an astounding display of bullshit. The audience must be riveted.

Shots loving fired :vince:

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

So obviously, I'm in a bit more trouble than I hoped I would be in. I guess I have to hope that the bonds I have made are genuine. I will be an asset to this tribe in the future and I hope the rest of you can see that. In the best of all possible worlds, we wouldn't be here tonight, but we have to play the hand we're dealt. I hope I have the opportunity to change your mind, Poison.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Excuse me Jeff, I didn't sleep well last night. I didn't even have a pillow! I'll sort myself out and answer in a second.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I have a hard time believing that mister "I don't know anyone and that means they're all going to underestimate me" is truly motivated by a sense of unity and good will.

You're here to win, Garth, you made that much clear in your bio. And that's fine. That's why we're all here.

But tooting about how sociable you've been and how you're trying to form a true team with your most immediate obstacles to victory? You're lying through your teeth, trying to publicly butter people up so you can cruise to victory on their backs.

SNAFU, a vote for Garth is a vote for honesty. Integrity. Willingly admitting that yes, we're definitely totally going to throw each other under the bus if it gets us closer to victory, and that in the mean time, there's no reason to pretend we won't.

Or let him stay on, and count the daggers in his smile.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Propaganda Machine posted:

With only five people on your tribe, each one of you is left very exposed. With nowhere to hide, what have you done to distinguish yourself as an asset? What are you looking for when you go to cast your own vote tonight?
As an asset? I turned up on time I guess! Which is a miracle considering I live in New Zealand and all. During the challenge I was the one that originally suggested going all-in on the bets. This insight was quickly turned down by my silly tribe mates. I'm glad they eventually decided listening to me was the tactical masterstroke needed.

Seriously though, I think I've made a decent go at getting to know my tribe. Through talking to them at SNAFU camp one on one I got a bit of a grasp on where everybody is. This tribal is awkward and horrible and I think I speak for all of us when I say we just want to get it over with. First tribals are such a random crapshot.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Lampsacus posted:

This tribal is awkward and horrible and I think I speak for all of us when I say we just want to get it over with. First tribals are such a random crapshot.

This tribal is what you signed up for! Like it or not, you're going to see yourself back here before the game is over, quite a few more times if you're lucky.

What do you make of this exchange between Poison Mushroom and garthoneeye? Is it making things look like any less of a "crapshoot?"

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Whoa, Poison Mushroom letting those arrows fly!

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Lampsacus posted:

Seriously though, I think I've made a decent go at getting to know my tribe. Through talking to them at SNAFU camp one on one I got a bit of a grasp on where everybody is. This tribal is awkward and horrible and I think I speak for all of us when I say we just want to get it over with. First tribals are such a random crapshot.

Truth.

I'm still sad about that second all in on DBZ though :smith:

That first all in was a galvanizing :master:

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

I have a hard time believing that mister "I don't know anyone and that means they're all going to underestimate me" is truly motivated by a sense of unity and good will.

You're here to win, Garth, you made that much clear in your bio. And that's fine. That's why we're all here.

But tooting about how sociable you've been and how you're trying to form a true team with your most immediate obstacles to victory? You're lying through your teeth, trying to publicly butter people up so you can cruise to victory on their backs.

SNAFU, a vote for Garth is a vote for honesty. Integrity. Willingly admitting that yes, we're definitely totally going to throw each other under the bus if it gets us closer to victory, and that in the mean time, there's no reason to pretend we won't.

Or let him stay on, and count the daggers in his smile.

Of course I'm here to win. The only way to win is to get to the last day and the best way to get further in this game is to build a bond with people you can trust. The best people to trust are the people who I am spending the most time with. This includes all of you. We can't win if we get destroyed early, and the best way to succeed at the challenges is true teamwork. That's what we need to build.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

This tribal is what you signed up for! Like it or not, you're going to see yourself back here before the game is over, quite a few more times if you're lucky.

What do you make of this exchange between Poison Mushroom and garthoneeye? Is it making things look like any less of a "crapshoot?"

Well yes but in tribals down the line we'll hopefully know more about who we are playing with, the terrible thing about this first tribal is that we know gently caress all about the others which makes choice hard.

While I might not have put it as harshly as PM has, she's kind of right in what she's saying. I guess for her it's less of a crapshoot since she has a valid reason.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

*sigh* I know it is. And I secretly kind of enjoy it. But a tribal this early and with this paltry amount of information and history on each other makes it, like Fathis said, more of a Saltybet then anything.

Frankly, I didn't expect this exchange to happen. I knew there was a bit more going on than "everybody is just voting random" but I didn't think there was a need to bring the fire to tribal - pardon the expression.

I don't think it is any less of a crapshoot because honestly we have no idea who is going to stick to their word and and such. We just have to vote as we feel fit and hope it somehow works out for us.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
But if you're so frustrated that you know so little about your tribemates when you go to cast your vote, is it on them for not putting themselves out there, or is it on you for not reaching out?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

But if you're so frustrated that you know so little about your tribemates when you go to cast your vote, is it on them for not putting themselves out there, or is it on you for not reaching out?
I'm not that frustrated. Just a little. I fired off enough PMs to say I made a decent effort on my part. Some tribe mates responded with more gusto then others I guess but I think those that talked less did so because its easy to say "ahhh first tribal. Screw it, no need to hustle."

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Ah. I think the critical factor here is really time. Only 3 days in there just has not been a lot of time to exchange and get to know each other. Especially when communication is virtual, it can be hard to gauge a person in that short a timeframe.

Lampsacus posted:

I knew there was a bit more going on than "everybody is just voting random" but I didn't think there was a need to bring the fire to tribal - pardon the expression.

I do have to admit that I did not expect this flaring up either.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

With so little to go on, first impression is everything. And my first impression of Garth was, and is, that he thinks himself very clever, and will be as devious as possible on the path to victory.

Myself, I'm loud because I want to be heard. I may be a liar and a scoundrel, but at least I'm honest about it.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Poison Mushroom posted:

I may be a liar and a scoundrel, but at least I'm honest about it.
I would attest to this. Through PMs, PM struck me as the most frank. She wasn't afraid to speak her mind precisely. That can be a pretty valuable trait in terms of gaining trust. Which is vital for life.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

I pretty much ran the show, and then I lost all the money. Not particularly my fault though, it's all random.

As for voting someone off, I have no idea. Might just commit seppukku.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Minifoo. Where are you. We need to vote somebody out now.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

With so little to go on, first impression is everything. And my first impression of Garth was, and is, that he thinks himself very clever, and will be as devious as possible on the path to victory.

Myself, I'm loud because I want to be heard. I may be a liar and a scoundrel, but at least I'm honest about it.

I'm not saying I will always be honest about everything. I freely admit that I'm willing to be devious, but it has to make sense to do so. There is no point in being devious right now; there aren't enough people in the tribe to play against each other. Nor, is there a large threat that needs to be taken out sneakily. The best move right now is build a trust that can take us through the rest of the game.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Lampsacus posted:

I would attest to this. Through PMs, PM struck me as the most frank. She wasn't afraid to speak her mind precisely. That can be a pretty valuable trait in terms of gaining trust. Which is vital for life.

Haha so it's the day PM is silent that we'll have to watch out backs :v:

I have to admit I did not reach out a lot for this council but as we said repeatedly, this early all we can go on is first impressions and that one was already done.

I am discovering this frank side of PM though and kind of appreciate it. I hope my tribemates did not interpret my more vague responses as playing the system or trying to dodge the answers, it's just that I was really pretty lost as to whom to vote for.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

MiniFoo posted:

I pretty much ran the show, and then I lost all the money. Not particularly my fault though, it's all random.

Actually? I have some idea of who to vote for - I think most of us do. But if you want peace we could deliver it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

My vote is cast. My opinion is stated. Also, I'm outside McDonald's phone posting and it's about to rain. If anyone has something they want to ask me, now's the time.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

MiniFoo posted:

I TOLD YOU TO BET TOUHOU

:smith: loving bullshit waifus :argh:

Poison Mushroom posted:

My vote is cast. My opinion is stated. Also, I'm outside McDonald's phone posting and it's about to rain. If anyone has something they want to ask me, now's the time.

What did you order ? :v: (incisive investigating)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fathis Munk posted:

What did you order ? :v: (incisive investigating)
A seven hour shift. :v:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Just to clear it up, MiniFoo I do certainly not blame you for the touhou/dbz all in.

You made a couple very good calls during the evening, sometimes you just lose to overpowered underage anime girls. Named after desserts.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Poison Mushroom posted:

A seven hour shift. :v:

:yum:

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I was just impressed when one of you called one of the characters "quirky enough to be OP" and half way through match 2 he went like super saian and turned into a big muscle man.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

And with that, I'm out. Don't forget to vote, guys.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Lampsacus posted:

I was just impressed when one of you called one of the characters "quirky enough to be OP" and half way through match 2 he went like super saian and turned into a big muscle man.

When you stare into the abyss long enough, you begin to understand neckbeard. :smithicide:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
With that said, it's time to vote.

If you are sorely uncreative, you may use that template to cast your ballot. Any kind of image is fine, as long as it clearly states where your vote is going. You have until 8:30EST to PM me with your vote, otherwise your vote will be against yourself, you dummy.

You may, of course, continue to hash things out in this tribal while the vote is open. Again, I will require that all non-SNAFUs refrain from comment at this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

may god help our souls

• Locked thread