Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
For those of you who stumbled upon this thread by mistake, Revenge is a decent mini-series that was, for some godforsaken reason, stretched into four (?) 22-episode seasons. The result is a bloated soap opera with affairs and pregnancies and dead people coming back to life and a truck yachtload of secondary characters absolutely no one cares about. Turn around now, stranger, the blonde Batwoman beating the crap out of the one percent is but a mirage.

For the rest of you, welcome. Having seen the first two episodes I can say it's not looking as bad as previous seasons. Here's where we are (as of episode 2, so spoiler alert I guess) :

- Emily lives in the big house now. No longer an active Power Revenger, she still takes a little time on the weekends to destroy the lives of rich fucks.
- Victoria's escaped and currently lives with previously deceased David Clarke in the back of a van and/or a weird prison cell-decorated bunker in the middle of nowhere. The whole thing's pretty messed up.
- Nolan's still cool.
- Daniel's still a sleazy douchebag.
- Whatshisface is a cop and feels really bad about kidna NO ONE GIVES A poo poo, GO AWAY PORTER.
- Charlotte is now into blow, pyrotechnics and blunt force trauma. Still cries a lot, but you take the good with the bad.

Big plot this season: Rita Repulsa wasn't about to let our intrepid heroes win this thing in only three seasons, so she used her wand to turn Victoria into a Godzilla-sized rear end in a top hat. Victoria is now able to use Emily's own mentally disturbed zombie dad against her. She won't tell him who Emily really is and try to spin it to her advantage though, so this is basically the worst plan ever. Sneak preview of what's coming:

David - I am here to kill you, Emily Thorne.
Emily - Oh hey dad, I'm actually Amanda. Here's my tattoo and a list of things only your daughter would know and your buddy Nolan who can back this whole thing up. Let's hug and kill Victoria together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
I don't like where the show is headed anymore. Ending at last season would've been perfect.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

So is this going to be the final season? I can't imagine the story continuing after the "David returns" arc is over, which seems like it would have to be this season. I do like the idea of Victoria trying to use David as a weapon against Emily, and I'm definitely looking forward to the first meeting between David and Emily.

Everyone else feels pretty extraneous right now.

Lingling
Jun 13, 2008

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, yeah~
Calling that by the end of the series....

Emily gets her happy ending and 1) she and her Dad are reunited 2) Emily and Jack get together and SURPRISE she's actually pregnant who would have thought 3) Charlotte and her are now BFFS 4) Victoria is otherwise not in the picture

OR

Emily dies, everything fades to black, audience left in a state of ennui.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Lingling posted:

Calling that by the end of the series....

Emily gets her happy ending and 1) she and her Dad are reunited 2) Emily and Jack get together and SURPRISE she's actually pregnant who would have thought 3) Charlotte and her are now BFFS 4) Victoria is otherwise not in the picture redeems herself, becomes Emily's loving step-mother.

There you go, now you got yourself a proper soap ending.

Regarding the show's future, as far as I know this is not the final season. At least no one said it is, but I'm crossing fingers; I already got Castle in my "should've ended 3 seasons ago" tv show category.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Why... why couldn't they just let Charlotte jump? :negative:

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

They probably want to get to 100 episodes for syndication. I would expect either another full season (Conrad ain't dead or Daniel gets pissed) or at the very least, a shortened 12 episode season.

I actually thought the "Charlotte goes crazy at the end of the last episode" was surprising. I only expected her to have him tied up and for her to bitch at him for an hour or so until he knew how she felt. My wife was actually concerned that the baby was upstairs.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Holy poo poo the Dad is alive? I gave up on this show early into season 2 but now I'm intrigued. How the hell did they pull that one off?

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

They probably want to get to 100 episodes for syndication. I would expect either another full season (Conrad ain't dead or Daniel gets pissed) or at the very least, a shortened 12 episode season.

I really want Conrad to come back. He was my favorite character on this show and it's currently lacking without him.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

snackcakes posted:

Holy poo poo the Dad is alive? I gave up on this show early into season 2 but now I'm intrigued. How the hell did they pull that one off?

I'll let the Revenge wiki answer this one:

a poet posted:

As Conrad is walking away from prison, we see that David is alive, albeit with a different look. When he walks out of a van as he walks up to a shocked Conrad before stabbing him to death.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Bringing this thread back from the dead like a wrongly accused dad with poor shaving skills.

I'm looking forward to new, increasingly ham-fisted ways to keep Emily away from her self-flagellating dad. Speaking of which: "Yes, mister FBI, Conrad locked me up all those years ago and tortured me. I can prove this by showing you these decade-old scars on my back. Oh, and by 'decade-old' I mean 'wounds so fresh they're still bleeding', so how about you call an ambulance?"

Feka
Jan 21, 2013

No soup for you!
The irrational soap opera plot twists in this show are so hilarious it's worth watching.

I think a brain tumour is still missing, though.

tatopom
Apr 9, 2009
drat, I was hoping they would go full on Greek tragedy with the father plotline. Like have one of them seduce the other (manipulated by Victoria) and then ending in murder suicide.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

That would seriously rule.

Yeah this show is a total guilty pleasure, and it's so outlandish that there is absolutely nothing keeping them from bringing Conrad back. "There I was... left for dead, bleeding in the street... but then!..."

I mean, they did it with the dad.

I almost gave up on this show 3/4 of the way through season 2, it just got so outlandish. I basically slept through the last 8 episodes while my daughter watched, so when she fired up season 3 and it got back on formula I was sucked back in.

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.
I like that this episode ended with Papa Clark's Revengenda Monologue. It's like it's starting all over again!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I watched the first season but lost track of the show until my wife decided to catch up on season 4 on Amazon, this

quote:

the blonde Batwoman beating the crap out of the one percent is but a mirage
is very depressing but did anything good happen in the interim?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

McSpanky posted:

I watched the first season but lost track of the show until my wife decided to catch up on season 4 on Amazon, this
is very depressing but did anything good happen in the interim?

Season 2 is awful. Let me sum it up in a sentence: Turns out the heinous villains of this whole show are mere puppets at the mercy of these brand-new villains! They're 50% more heinous! Also, craaaazy mom is back from the dead because why the gently caress not!

Season 3 wisely disowns all this crap in the first 30 seconds and focuses back on the Graysons. Then... I, uh, have no idea what happens next. Really, I can't remember a thing except for the big reveal in the finale. That can't be a good sign.

Season 4 has been pretty good, actually. The writers dumbing down Emily so they can postpone this season's big emotional moment is annoying and the crazy redhead is useless filler, but otherwise it's been holding my attention to the point where I look forward to every new episode. We even got some pretty sweet revenge this week, even if The Unfashionable Beardman targeted the show's only good character. Stay away from Nolan and go to a barber, for Christ's sake :argh:

edit: I can't believe they had the nerve to show up-close shots of those painfully obvious fresh wounds and not a single human being went "hey wait a minute..."

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
Is anyone actually still watching this show?!

Are we going to talk about the long-awaited reunion that was really awkward?

What about the implication that Daniel may be more interested in Amanda Clark now that he knows her secret... could the show be hinting that they'll be getting back together?

Wasn't this episode much better without Charlotte? :D

DapperDinosaur
May 27, 2012

This is what America's next drag super star does...

She works for a living.
I'm about the only person in the world who likes Jack/Emily but after their scene last night, I could get on board with Daniel/Emily again.

I really liked last night's episode. I'm happy David finally knows and that things are turning around for Nolan.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

courtney_beth posted:

Is anyone actually still watching this show?!

Are we going to talk about the long-awaited reunion that was really awkward?

What about the implication that Daniel may be more interested in Amanda Clark now that he knows her secret... could the show be hinting that they'll be getting back together?

Wasn't this episode much better without Charlotte? :D

Yes.

Yes. Victoria getting zapped seemed part of the plan according to its accompanying "villains be plotting" score, but that doesn't make any sense. I suppose in this case the villains are the writers. But you know what else doesn't make any sense? David's goddamn beard. It never grows so that motherfucker is actively, purposefully maintaining that monstrosity.

Maybe. Daniel is still an rear end in a top hat, but that encounter was very entertaining.

Yes, though I'd welcome her back if she resumed clobbering and murdering people. The Power Revengers could definitely use a decent bad guy now that Conrad (never forget :911:) is gone.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
This was one of the first interactions between the two in a long while, so I'm not sure if it looked more interesting than it was because he is dating Emily Vancamp.

This season is definitely lacking in a villain. Madeline Stowe is just not strong enough on her own to carry out the "wickedness" that Henry Czerny was able to bring with his delightful charm. Maybe we can get him resurrected - zombie!grayson would be excellent.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Honestly, I think once Daniel realized who Emily was he might have felt bad and been on her side? I don't know. I've been stuck between hate watching this show and being slightly intrigued by the jump the shark moment of David not being dead.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Pillowpants posted:

Honestly, I think once Daniel realized who Emily was he might have felt bad and been on her side? I don't know. I've been stuck between hate watching this show and being slightly intrigued by the jump the shark moment of David not being dead.

I think that's part of it. At the very least, his previous view of her was as a vindictive money-grubbing con artist, so this new revelation casts her past actions in a very different light for him. I don't think he really felt bad for her, but I do think he has a newfound respect for her on some level.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
The scene of Daniel staring at his wedding photos and trying to figure it all out was great. He's so conflicted because I think at one point he did care about her and he's trying to understand if any of it was real and what it all really meant for him.

It's interesting. I am curious where they may go with it.

Fruity Tree
Aug 14, 2010
My thoughts on the season so far, to revive this thread:
(If you care about tiny spoilers and haven't seen episode 8 from November 16th, maybe you should skip this)

1) Holy magpie, what happened to everybody's hair? Now that we're getting towards the middle of the season it's getting better (I hope this has to do with firing the hair stylist who did the first half), but in the beginning, every scene had another terribly styled haircut. Nolan's new hedgehog-style turned his super-rich nerdy guy hair into Guy Fieri awfulness. Charlotte constantly looked like she hadn't combed or washed her hair in exactly 3 days, and Margaux's tough business lady look dissolved into an experimental pixie cut that looked good roughly 40% of the time. The other 60% were horrifying.
Luckily, these dark days are over and everybody's hair looks okay-ish again.

2) They are totally shoehorning in a romance angle between Daniel and Emily. I can sense it. Now that he knows who she is, he's attracted to her badass awesomeness (cf. his face when she stepped on his shoulder to get out of the elevator and his awful attempt to veil his attraction to her with hateful, stinging remarks when he visited her at her house this last episode in order to motivate her to keep going). I assume some heroic act of his, possibly tying in with his hatred of his mother, will make Emily see him in a different light and the re-romancing begins.

3) David's speech about taking revenge at the end of episode 5 (or 6?) had my hopes up. It would have tied in so nicely to see Emily's efforts repeated by him, unknowing that his daughter is still alive. But then, everything became less poetic. Instead of taking his vow seriously, all he does is this lame, direct stab at Nolan on live TV...
He lacks the grace of Emily's revenge plots and is awful at doing independent research - "Oh Victoria, did you love Emily and tried to help her?" - "Sure did!" - "I believe you!" But then again, after being locked up for ten years, how would he know there is such a thing as the online press that documents all the awful stuff that went on between Emily and the Graysons.

Fruity Tree fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Nov 22, 2014

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

New episode tonight*! Who's excited? At least we're getting a new supervillain, so maybe now the showrunners can stop their increasingly painful attempts to keep Madeleine Stowe's character relevant.
* yes I know the show came back last week

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I dropped this show when Emily got amnesia. Is it good enough now to make catching up worth it?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I dropped this show when Emily got amnesia. Is it good enough now to make catching up worth it?

Nope, I just have some sort of disorder where I keep watching shows that turn to poo poo until the end.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
They're really trying hard to end the original story aren't they.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I thought that they were writing off Victoria....how dumb was I?!?!?!

Margeaux now revenges against Amanda with Victoria in her corner. Nolan remains in the side story that never ends. Jack remains Jack. Cop buddy looks to get some. David Clark looks menacingly at something. Daniel remains dead.....or does he?!?!?!

This show is something else but I keep coming back because this show reminds me of the soap operas that my mom watched when I was a kid.

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 19, 2015

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

RIP Malcolm Black, you were a paper-thin evil bad guy with an evil facial scar and an evil last name created only to fill Conrad's shoes. You did not succeed.

fuseshock posted:

They're really trying hard to end the original story aren't they.

On the contrary, they're trying very hard to keep it alive and it keeps getting uglier. Once again, Victoria's made relevant by force, now as Margaux's Revenge Sensei - because that makes sense - just so they can keep Stowe in the cast.
And the B plot boggles the mind; who gives a poo poo about any of it? I don't understand.

Ending the original story and starting a fresh new revenge would be a godsend.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
They really need to just cancel this show or kill off Victoria or something.

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

I would be really happy if they'd just end it here. The original revengenda has come to an end. There is no need for a Margaux revenge plot line because no one gives a flying gently caress about Margaux getting revenge.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Stabitha posted:

I would be really happy if they'd just end it here. The original revengenda has come to an end. There is no need for a Margaux revenge plot line because no one gives a flying gently caress about Margaux getting revenge.

Yeah I think I'm done with this show.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

You guys can't abandon ship now, we're already half-way through the season!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Amanda and Victoria just need to hatefuck already.

DapperDinosaur
May 27, 2012

This is what America's next drag super star does...

She works for a living.

Stabitha posted:

It's also really irritating because I really don't believe Margaux and Daniel were In Love or whatever. Also, Daniel died saving Emily which kind of shows he probably doesn't want great harm to come to her so Margaux is just continuing to disrespect his memory.

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

DapperDinosaur posted:

It's also really irritating because I really don't believe Margaux and Daniel were In Love or whatever. Also, Daniel died saving Emily which kind of shows he probably doesn't want great harm to come to her so Margaux is just continuing to disrespect his memory.

She's probably just jealous that Daniel cared enough about Emily to try to save her and ended up dying in the process. It's like two slaps in the face: the possibly that he still had feelings for Emily and that she lost her boyfriend (fiancé?) to death.

Fruity Tree
Aug 14, 2010
If it ended here, nothing bad would come to Emily and that can't be the end of it. Or shouldn't at least, considering the makers started the show with Confucius' quote "Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves." They could at least be consistent enough to follow up on that... it would kind of save the show from being a pure soap opera.

Also, how did they manage to find single-word titles for every one of the 82 episodes, while all the words roughly describe the same 10 concepts? It's sad that this is the most impressive thing about the show at this point.

Remember in the beginning when Emily actually addressed these titular philosophical concepts and reflected about them in a little monologue at the beginning and the end of the episode? It gave the show a nice consistent frame that structured it and felt at least a little meaningful. But that's all gone now too and the focus is on the weird, twisted plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

Fruity Tree posted:

If it ended here, nothing bad would come to Emily and that can't be the end of it. Or shouldn't at least, considering the makers started the show with Confucius' quote "Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves." They could at least be consistent enough to follow up on that... it would kind of save the show from being a pure soap opera.

Also, how did they manage to find single-word titles for every one of the 82 episodes, while all the words roughly describe the same 10 concepts? It's sad that this is the most impressive thing about the show at this point.

Remember in the beginning when Emily actually addressed these titular philosophical concepts and reflected about them in a little monologue at the beginning and the end of the episode? It gave the show a nice consistent frame that structured it and felt at least a little meaningful. But that's all gone now too and the focus is on the weird, twisted plot.

I'd be fine with Emily getting her comeuppance in the end, but why go that route with Margaux? She's such a nothing character. I'd rather Victoria and Emily go at it with it ending with both of them dead or something. It really shouldn't go past this season though.

• Locked thread