Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Remains Unseen
Oct 18, 2004
Fatal bought this crazy name for this fag but he owed me $$$$$$$$$$$$$
Hi folks,

I'd love to get a mid 80s Monte Carlo SS. What are the common problems on this car? When buying one, what should I look for? What's a good price for this car? (Roughly, of course)

Thank you!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006
G bodies are a pretty solid cars in all flavors. If you're worried about restoration to a factory condition, look for rust anywhere and everywhere from knee high down, the t-tops tended to leak when neglected, so look for signs of mold and mildew. The leaky t-tops generally led to rotted floor pans and seat mounts so check under the seats. Beyond that, its gonna be general red flag items for 30 year old cars. Bad bondo, shoddy body work, "upgrades, etc. Engine wiring is straightforward and easy clear of gremlins, and if there has been an aftermarket electronic anything, make sure the wiring at the fuse panel is intact. Its more than likely you're going to be looking at replacing all your suspension bushings and ball joints if they haven't been done already, so hope the PO has made use of the factory zerk fittings. One of the cool things about getting a Monte, or any G body, is that everything on the front suspension is a direct match for 2wd S10 hardware, meaning all those inexpensive aftermarket mini truck suspension parts are available to use.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If you are going to do it, do it right and find a fastback. You can't be 80's cool without it son.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
The majority of them were 305s as well, so expect a whopping 145 HP from that beast.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Mighty Horse posted:

The majority of them were 305s as well, so expect a whopping 145 HP from that beast.

That problem has a known solution, though. :getin:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Is there any reason to buy the SS version if you are going to engine swap? Maybe I should rephrase that, is there any reason to buy the SS if you are not going to engine swap?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Elephanthead posted:

If you are going to do it, do it right and find a fastback. You can't be 80's cool without it son.

I assume you're referring to the AeroCoupe?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Mister Kingdom posted:

Europe isn't the only place that has homologation specials.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Elephanthead posted:

Is there any reason to buy the SS version if you are going to engine swap? Maybe I should rephrase that, is there any reason to buy the SS if you are not going to engine swap?

The :krad: strip package is the only reason you need.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Every time I see a picture of that car, I want one more and more :allears:

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Raluek posted:

That problem has a known solution, though. :getin:

Yeah. Buy a GN.

Seriously though, if you are in the rust belt, look at the rear frame rails since by the g-body design, road salt will get all over them and turn them into Swiss cheese. Parts availability is pretty decent.

Don't expect anything resembling good handling or braking, as they are truly 80s GM products.

WashinMyGoat
Jan 15, 2002

I had a 1985 SS about 8 years ago. It looked and sounded cool(one owner, super clean, low miles), could haul a ton of people around, but was really slow. It had crappy tires, so I could still do burnouts, as you are required to do in a 1985 Monte Carlo SS.

I bought mine for like $4,200 and sold it for $5,000. I haven't really followed car values in a long time, but even then, I thought both the cost I paid and the price I got for it were low considering the quality of the car. Of course, the real reason someone buys a Monte Carlo is because they can't find a decent Grand National.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
I will still someday build my chimaera g-body consisting of a Monte SS, powered by GN guts, with the Hurst Olds lightning rod shifter

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 279 days!)

WashinMyGoat posted:

Of course, the real reason someone buys a Monte Carlo is because they can't find a decent Grand National.

TPB-AI edition.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
Make sure to buy some cool Ray Bans™ to go with your Monte Carlo!

Mister Kingdom posted:

The Grand Prix Aerocoupe looked cooler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bklh6M5qSk8

KennyLoggins fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 9, 2014

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Guy at Atco race way about 10 years ago would run 9s in his street-driven Monte. With a baby seat in the back for his grandkid. No joke.... drove to the track, turned 9s, drove home. 70-some year old guy.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Dr.Smasher posted:

I will still someday build my chimaera g-body consisting of a Monte SS, powered by GN guts, with the Hurst Olds lightning rod shifter

80-81 The Turbo 3.8 was a factory option.

rare as all loving motherfucking gently caress.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Mighty Horse posted:

80-81 The Turbo 3.8 was a factory option.

rare as all loving motherfucking gently caress.

With a fearsome 180hp. The carbureted 3.8 turbos were total garbage, the non-intercooled EFI ones were better but not at all as good as the proper 270hp ones from the GN/T-type/GNX.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Mighty Horse posted:

I think all the SSs had the HO which was 190. My buddy had an 84 and it moved ok for an 80s emissions wheezer.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

DJ Commie posted:

With a fearsome 180hp. The carbureted 3.8 turbos were total garbage, the non-intercooled EFI ones were better but not at all as good as the proper 270hp ones from the GN/T-type/GNX.

Oh I didn't say a GOOD factory option, but it was one. The hood bulge and vent looks kinda cool.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
Drop in one of those new chevy 5.whatthefuckevers and put a turbo on it. Back it with a 6 speed and find out how fast it will go.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Can't you coax 300 hp out of one of these with an exhaust and some cheap heads? (And some 454 injectors for your kicking rad TBI) Granted that is no LS swap but probably the best you can do without destroying the lowest cost engineered rear.

Best G body though is the 1980 Buick Century fastback coupe.

http://muncie.craigslist.org/cto/4643363441.html

Here is an Aerocoup near me for sale not even that terrible.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 9, 2014

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

Best G body though is the El Camino sport utility coupe.

FTFY

Remains Unseen
Oct 18, 2004
Fatal bought this crazy name for this fag but he owed me $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Noeland posted:

G bodies are a pretty solid cars in all flavors. If you're worried about restoration to a factory condition, look for rust anywhere and everywhere from knee high down, the t-tops tended to leak when neglected, so look for signs of mold and mildew. The leaky t-tops generally led to rotted floor pans and seat mounts so check under the seats. Beyond that, its gonna be general red flag items for 30 year old cars. Bad bondo, shoddy body work, "upgrades, etc. Engine wiring is straightforward and easy clear of gremlins, and if there has been an aftermarket electronic anything, make sure the wiring at the fuse panel is intact. Its more than likely you're going to be looking at replacing all your suspension bushings and ball joints if they haven't been done already, so hope the PO has made use of the factory zerk fittings. One of the cool things about getting a Monte, or any G body, is that everything on the front suspension is a direct match for 2wd S10 hardware, meaning all those inexpensive aftermarket mini truck suspension parts are available to use.

Thank you! I'll be sure to look closely at the items you mentioned. Good to know about the suspension as well!

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

Can't you coax 300 hp out of one of these with an exhaust and some cheap heads? (And some 454 injectors for your kicking rad TBI) Granted that is no LS swap but probably the best you can do without destroying the lowest cost engineered rear.

Best G body though is the 1980 Buick Century fastback coupe.

http://muncie.craigslist.org/cto/4643363441.html

Here is an Aerocoup near me for sale not even that terrible.

Yes. Longtube headers, a basic performance carb and intake, and a cheap set of vortec heads will run about $1200-1500 and probably get you 60HP at least.

That said, you can get a junk truck 4.8/5.3 motor for $500 or so.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Best thing for the 305 cars is a 5-0 swap. Swap the 5 and the 0 by putting a 350 in it.

:downsrim:

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Elephanthead posted:

How hard is it to convert an auto monte carlo to a manual transmission?

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

fakeaccount posted:

Not too terribly difficult. I had an 83 Malibu wagon that was converted to manual by the PO. He said the hardest part was mounting the clutch pedal to the firewall.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Fucknag posted:

Best thing for the 305 cars is a 5-0 swap. Swap the 5 and the 0 by putting a 350 in it.

:downsrim:

You're better off doing a 0 delete. Requires swapping the 3 and the 5.
(LM7)

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Even an L20 would be a vast improvement over a 305 of any stripe.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

fakeaccount posted:

This guy documented the build of his

http://www.montecarloss.com/ls1montecarloss/

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Don't hold out for one with a stick. GM never bothered to make one.

I drove a 85 non SS for years. Still miss it sometimes.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

FatCow posted:

Ever see the Hurst Lightning Rod Triple Shifter? I think it was only available in the Olds Cutlass Supreme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZmGZnmvSCM

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Mister Kingdom posted:

Ever see the Hurst Lightning Rod Triple Shifter? I think it was only available in the Olds Cutlass Supreme.

Yep. Only in the '84 H/O. It wasn't all that wonderful, though. You had basically this:

code:
OD
D
    2  1

1st gearset:
OD        x
D   x  x  
       2  1

2nd gearset:
OD     x  x
D   x  
       2  1

Overdrive:
OD  x  x  x
D  
       2  1
It was basically flappypaddles before flappypaddles in the '84 Hurst/Olds. If you left it in drive/overdrive, it'd still shift itself if you didn't do it for yourself (after a spell).

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 13, 2014

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
I don't know what your price range is, but this just popped up on my local CL and I thought of this thread: http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/4711823467.html

Actually seems pretty solid, and appears to have had some money put into it.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Viggen posted:

It was basically flappypaddles before flappypaddles in the '84 Hurst/Olds.

And entirely pointless because ratchet shifters were already around by the '80s. I mean clutch pedal or die, but if you absolutely must use a complicated device to quickly trigger a single gear change on a slushbox you can't beat a good ratchet shifter.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Tommychu posted:

And entirely pointless because ratchet shifters were already around by the '80s.

Yeah, but otherwise it wouldn't be a 442. :jerkbag:

I'd still take one (for free), but I remember a time back in the 90s when I was actively looking for one. Hoy boy that 9 VIN with the 180hp!

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.

FatCow posted:

They actually did offer it with a stick in Mexico.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Viggen posted:

Yeah, but otherwise it wouldn't be a Hurst/Olds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

I meant to type H/O 442. :shobon:

• Locked thread