Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

THE FOURTH (FIFTH? IVE LOST COUNT) ANNUAL YOSBBS RED DRAGON BEATDOWN AND INN PUA STRUT-OFF

FEATURES:
  • awesome security, telnet only + the sysop can see your password
  • 25 year old bbs games that have primarily nostalgic replay value!
  • messaging systems that rely on ridiculous jank
  • totally not rigged polls and votes - add your own question!

address: bbs.yospos.net
port: 219

Suggested terminal: http://syncterm.bbsdev.net/

for the larval yosposters, this is an annual thing we do. I am old and think technology peaked in 1993, so we bring this back once a year and beat the poo poo out of each other.

the main event:

([D]oors from the main menu)

LoRD is a cheesy basic role playing game that started out as a dating sim and then seth able added the whole fight thing to not be a total goonlord that pretty much dominated the dialup bulletin board scene in the early to mid 90s. seriously, EVERYBODY online played it. We traditionally run a stock game or two, but the first game in the list is always hacked by our trusty sysops and co-sysops, and is full of dangerous yosposters who will cut you down in the blink of an eye! take your chances versus Greater Shaggar, or try to dodge Triple Sulk's devastating attacks.

[T]ech

this year we dumped Synchronet. though its an ok bbs software, I don't have windows VMs available right now due to the Hausbus saga, and needed to host this on a lumicks. Synchronet does have source available, but all my builds had really bad random delays on login and I didn't feel like debugging C code. So, I found Mystic BBS. This purports to be open source, has a much saner config system than the old synchronet trash, and more importantly, works. sadly i cant actually find the source but i am trying to get ahold of the dude.

future styles: ENTER yosbbs 3.0

Mystic's days are numbered because i found x\84. It's a modern package that is 100% python (hence my recent py tear), and is completely hackable. this is important because on YOSBBS 3.0, you will be able to browse and post on YOSPOS.

(i may do a login page, but right now it just has a couple text fields for you to paste your SA cookies into)

So, for now, play LoRD at bbs.yospos.net port 219, have fun, post a stupid flame, and we will goof off with the other poo poo on the side. depending on popularity it may be out in a few days or week or so.

--
FAQ:

HALP WHAT IS THIS MANDATORY NEW USER FEEDBACK

back in the day sysops wanted to hear from people that signed up and created accounts. i'll remove it later i guess but for now just say hello, hit escape and S

--

that's about it for now. I'm going to give the current players 12 hours or so, and you should log in and get your bbs account/pass set up (and if you've never played LoRD go ahead and poke around and inevitably die), because at 08 OCT 2014, 00:00:00 UTC (or thereabouts) we are resetting the game, and you all may go hog fuckin' wild.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Nice!

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
fall is officially here

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
is SyncTerm really playing this DnB ANSI music right now?

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i'm getting a [61] connect error. i should have the correct port and address. what is going on here

edit: never mind i'm in :getin:

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

i answered a lot of poll questions, op. thanks.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
yeah does this poll ever end

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i know SyncTerm has full screen, but i kind of wish it supported a maximize to full screen button so i can have it in it's own space

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

i closed the window without logging out and now i cant log back in lmbo

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
Jonny has to flip your associated switch on the computer terminal to log you out now

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
lol

edit: double lol

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
"sorry, you have no time left for today"

what is this

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

i broke it, maybe?? idk

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

Dj Meow Mix posted:

i broke it, maybe?? idk

you have to do save message, duh!!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah you had 0 minutes left b/c it allocates your security level after you closed the window

ill try to stay on top of any weird poo poo that pops up

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

i cant call my character widdiful the well-endowed. what is this bullshit?

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

i got killed by cereal this owns

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah you had 0 minutes left b/c it allocates your security level after you closed the window

ill try to stay on top of any weird poo poo that pops up

it allocates my security level. ok

i didn't even close the window

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

edit: double lol

haha, i saw the same thing but with you.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
yesssss time for some lord

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
ground floor

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

noice

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

gooie kablooie launched

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i have no idea what i'm doing wrong now, but i can't connect. i feel like such a newb. keeps giving me connect error (61) on SyncTerm and on Terminal it only seems i can use SSH and prompts me with a password

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

i have no idea what i'm doing wrong now, but i can't connect. i feel like such a newb. keeps giving me connect error (61) on SyncTerm and on Terminal it only seems i can use SSH and prompts me with a password

telnet, bbs.yospos.net, port 219

like this:

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

i have no time left for today :(

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 37 minutes!
i wish i still had the old yosbbs gif i made with locke from lost logging in and blowing up a house

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Sniep posted:

telnet, bbs.yospos.net, port 219

like this:

thank god. the function keys wouldn't work on my work computer even if i turned the shortcuts off, so i used control+E to edit that. i had to do the same thing at home to change the connection type, cuz setting it when making it or connection settings did nothing

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

you will be able to browse and post on YOSPOS.

jfc

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

is there a better linux client than syncterm? stuck going through my linux shell and linux syncterm is hella buggy

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
come on more people have to get in this. i'm the only one online

Jonny, for now can you make it so it doesn't kick us out after a little while of inactivity? or is that a setting of my own?

slip proof stairs
Oct 22, 2012

how long is the inactive kick set for? i accidentally command-Q'ed when i meant to command-W and killed my whole term instead of just my vim window.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Idk what I'm doing I (u)'d a message and hit z and then it did letters and numbers?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Connection detected on node 6 help

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer
YES!
jonny can I get a password reset :(

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I think my school blocks this kind of thing :(

no wait, connection error 60'd again!!

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 7, 2014

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
ok i guess my time is up for today