Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
An idiot friend of a friend posted this, and I'm looking to make a point by point rebuttal, but as someone who never went to college/university ( :( ), I could use your help.

quote:

i can confirm the vast majority of the vocal minority of gamers are overly entitled. that is to say those that comment on youtube videos are usually entitled.

we'll take BF4 for example, already mentioned in this thread, you "heard" it still crashes all of the time. so without actual personal experience you are already passing judgement on the game.

it's a game i play off and on and have done so since launch. the number of crashes i have had with BF4 number 0, zip, zilch, zero. the number of crashes that have happened or have been mentioned by any person i have physically talked to about the game (i work in an office with about 200 people, most gamers) is once again 0. my friend in south africa, who playes with me with a solid 300 ping, zero crashes. friends of friends met online during play, zero crashes.

where am i getting at? people will blame DICE for crashes when they aren't running the latest update for their graphics card, or when the game crashes on their virus laden PC. they have this strange sense of entitlement that it is DICE's job to make sure their game runs flawlessly on their crapbox system, no matter what.

you stated that gaming is the only industry that can sell broken products without fear of reprisal. seriously? so there are no other industries that sell cheap products? how about pharmaceuticals? anybody who knows anybody who has ever had to get medication for depression will know that you have to shop around because some drugs will work, while others will make you try to kill yourself. and i guess all of those penis enlargement pills really do work! all of those fad fat programs must work as advertised as well. hey, did you know that cigarettes will make me cool and successful?

and you got back to this idea of them selling a broken product, this i must know more about. because when i purchased BF4 no where in any marketing material did it say that i would not experience lag, or kill trades, or frustration from a poorly designed tick rate system. no game ever is advertised as bug free, as mentioned before if that was a thing then Bugthesda would be in trouble. If i don't like a movie where the trailer was pretty rad, i don't get a refund. In almost any case when you buy a game you got what you paid for. It is not the developer's job to make sure you liked it.

I know there's things wrong with this argument, but I don't even know how to start taking it apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
If someone says that you should just blow their head off with a load of buckshot, OP.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P27ZsrQ_wFE&t=21s

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Thug Lessons posted:

If someone says that you should just blow their head off with a load of buckshot, OP.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Thug Lessons posted:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Thug Lessons posted:

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thug Lessons posted:

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Thug Lessons posted:

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Thug Lessons posted:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I'm a pacifist though.

And Canada doesn't have guns, that's why we all play games.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Mister Macys posted:

I'm a pacifist though.

And Canada doesn't have guns, that's why we all play games.

Actually you can grab a shotgun pretty easily and if you're in Alberta or Newfoundland just steal one from a dumb redneck

It's for the best

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Your friend sounds like a fake gamer. In the words of E/N, "sever". Preferably, his head from his body.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

In Canada you can just drag him behind your snowmobile like they do to deviants in the Southern US

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Silver Striker posted:

Your friend sounds like a fake gamer. In the words of E/N, "sever". Preferably, his head from his body.

He's a friend of a friend. I want to show my friend what an idiot he is so HE can sever.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

grab a spork (xD!) and stab him on the throat for epic justice!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

its pretty simple. if you pay 60 dollars for something it should work now instead of in 6 months and 20 patches.

alt solution you impale your friend in the chest with your replica of the mastersword

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 7, 2014

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
didnt dice apologize for bf4 being so lovely

companies never apology or admit guilt so thats pretty hilarious

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ive always wondered if DICE is at fault or if it's EA's pressure to poo poo out a AAA game every couple of months

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

ive always wondered if DICE is at fault or if it's EA's pressure to poo poo out a AAA game every couple of months

DICE has never put out a really well made game ever so

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

also your friend is a fag

Mr. Kerstbal
Sep 2, 2011

ORIGINAL MONKEY FUCKER

Thug Lessons posted:

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Thug Lessons posted:

Then tell them no refunds if they didn't enjoy the experience. After all, if some things are an awful experience then equality demands that everything must be made so.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

For complaining about consumer experiences, OP, I don't see why anyone would care if gamers are entitled.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

The premise of every battlefield game is insanely bad and slow and for clowns who don't want to learn to play a cool game like Quake. Hell even Unreal Tournament is a better game to get into. So you tell me.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

well for one thing, the sample size of this guy plus the few other people he has talked to that play bf4 is a laughably small sample for something like this. tell him to go ask around more.

quote:

you "heard" it still crashes all of the time. so without actual personal experience you are already passing judgement on the game.

yes, you heard that it still crashes, something you cannot check for yourself w/o paying a bunch of money, so you judge it was not worth your time because you do not want to gamble your money on some product that has a good chance of not working properly

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
very noble of your friend to come to the defense of those poor multi-million dollar corporations.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
we are pretty entitled tho

entitled to own naysayers that is :hellyeah:

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
a gamer is entitled to enjoy their awesome hobby however they see fit as they have earned it through years of persecution

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Is a gamer not entitled to the pubes on their keyboard?

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Thug Lessons posted:

Chocolatebuddha
Oct 15, 2007

Sweet Deity!
OP that's too much poo poo to read. I won't read it unless you summarize it.

Myrmomancer
May 31, 2014

Bobnumerotres posted:

its pretty simple. if you pay 60 dollars for something it should work now instead of in 6 months and 20 patches.

alt solution you impale your friend in the chest with your replica of the mastersword

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
Is a gamer not entitled to the sweat of his brow?

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Mister Macys posted:

An idiot friend of a friend posted this, and I'm looking to make a point by point rebuttal, but as someone who never went to college/university ( :( ), I could use your help.

I know there's things wrong with this argument, but I don't even know how to start taking it apart.

Call him a human being

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Thug Lessons posted:

this too

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

ForeverSmug posted:

Call him a human being

I'm warming up to you slowly now

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
is a gamer not entitled to the sweat of his own rear end

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014