Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Truga posted:

don't open throttle fully until you're at decent speed in the fw190 because that thing has way too much power for its rudder at low speed.
Or just firewall the thing and stamp on the brakes on one side :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

EpicPhoton posted:

I followed this post by Sauer to build my own. I went with the 3 Point Cap setup, since I had a baseball cap to attach this all to.

I'd recommend getting the LED's he suggested. I had to throw some tissues over the small angle LEDs I ended up getting, in order to make them an actual visible point source. Also, getting a soldering setup is useful for other things. Eventually you'll be buying an Arduino to make a custom button panel for your flight sims, and then you'll be really screwed.

A reminder that the ps3 eye can be used with FaceTrack NoIR and works fine for that too. More than serviceable for modern flight sims like , gets a little finicky trying to check your six for warthunder or BoS

MagnumHB
Jan 19, 2003
Also keep in mind that this image applies to Western aircraft, which generally require right rudder pressure. The prop on Russian aircraft spins in the opposite direction, therefore requiring left rudder.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Wooper posted:

Is this game on sale yet?

Today the game is on sale on Steam. 25% off.

I'm hoping for a daily deal though.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I'd imagine the same rule of waiting for the last day if no Flash sale appears, is still in action.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Wooper posted:

Today the game is on sale on Steam. 25% off.

I'm hoping for a daily deal though.

The premium planes for Steam version are -50 % too. If you REALLY want them right now.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
IL2 is one of the current votes. If it wins (pretty certain it will) then it will be 50% for the first time ever.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
If it's up for a community choice vote it's probably gonna be a daily deal eventually also.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Azran posted:

IL2 is one of the current votes. If it wins (pretty certain it will) then it will be 50% for the first time ever.

Nope, Orion Dino Prelude won instead. Turns out, people did want 15p off of that game.

E: Eh, 40% is pretty good. I'm tempted to bite...

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 23, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Patience. It might yet still be a daily.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Looks like it is.

40% off for the next 23 and a bit hours!

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
Does this have coop yet? Is the current consensus that they will improve the content or that they will pull the plug?

I loved the graphics and flight model but am having a hard time justifing gifting this to my Dad.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Snaxx posted:

Does this have coop yet? Is the current consensus that they will improve the content or that they will pull the plug?

I loved the graphics and flight model but am having a hard time justifing gifting this to my Dad.

Many WWII sim fans are pissed that they waited until right before release to introduce the unlock system and the limited graphical presets. As in, the game was working fine without those things and they added them at the last second. The thought is that 1CGS is primarily focused on a near-free Russian version with grinding a la War Thunder, and fleeced them for their $100 preorders when they thought it was going to be much more like a modern Il-2: 1946.

The mission builder has not yet been released, nor has the ability to host multiplayer yourself. There is speculation that the game engine can't handle large numbers of AI objects, and that is the reason for the sparse campaigns and the lack of a released Mission Editor. I have no idea if this is true, but there are those who have spent a lot of time with the RoF mission editor (same engine as BoS) that swear this is the case.

I have not yet bought or played BoS - I'm just passing on the scuttlebutt from various forums.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
Very helpful. Will wait on this one. Thanks!

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
It's true that the mission editor is complex and that the engine can't handle a lot of AI poo poo going on at once. At least basing it off of dicking around in the RoF editor and making a bunch of poo poo in the sky and on the ground and then the game crashing on me.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

How do you contact the tower?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Vahakyla posted:

777 Studios are big fans of microtransactions and did the exact same thing with Rise of Flight, the WW1 simulator. In there, not only can you buy planes individually, but you can even buy modifications for them, like extra guns and flight instruments. It seems like it ain't quite as bad with BoS, since there are no upgrades to be bought. Despite that, planes are offered separately. The standard edition lacks some planes.

Current plane list:

LaGG-3 (series 29)
Bf 109 F-4
Yak-1 (series 69)
Bf 109 G-2
IL-2 AM-38IL-2 AM-38 (1942 year's model, single-seat)
Ju 87 D-3
He 111 H-6
Pe-2 (series 87)
La-5 (series 8) Only for Premium purchasers
Fw 190 A-3 Only for Premium purchasers

Just to clarify, these are the flyable planes in game, correct? Are there other non-flyable aircraft that are in there as AI-only?

Also, have there been other planes announced to be added later, either to the base game or as DLC (I'm taking it as read there will be more, but is there anything official)?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Helicon One posted:

Just to clarify, these are the flyable planes in game, correct? Are there other non-flyable aircraft that are in there as AI-only?

Also, have there been other planes announced to be added later, either to the base game or as DLC (I'm taking it as read there will be more, but is there anything official)?

There are other, non flyable planes in the game yes. Those are the ones you will be seeing most often however. As far as future plans go, they've announced another non-flyable Junkers transport plane in the works, but the focus seems to be on getting the custom skin viewer and custom skin support out (which came out yesterday), dedicated servers and the mission editor. Not a whole lot beyond that has been discussed.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
They've been clear that they want to release expansion packs with more maps and planes, but will only do so if BoS is financially successful enough.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The fact that the editor and server aren't available is killing this game. 777 needs to get their poo poo together.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
You know, it is a bit dready, but I am worried for this game. It seems a bit tech demo-ish already, the campaign was a bust, the grinding, the lack of settings, all this come together to possibly point out that maybe this game will suck and might just get a community patch three years down the road.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
drat, sucks to hear that. Was thinking of getting it now that it's on sale. I enjoy Rise of Flight, but I don't think the same small scale and unlock/micro transactions works for a WW2 Sim.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

MrOnBicycle posted:

drat, sucks to hear that. Was thinking of getting it now that it's on sale. I enjoy Rise of Flight, but I don't think the same small scale and unlock/micro transactions works for a WW2 Sim.

well the good news is it has none of those microtransactions. The unlock thing is kind of dumb but it also seems a bit overblown to me. You still get a full BF-109 with full capabilities, but you can't strap bombs to it until you've played it in the campaign a bit. Honestly if the campaign was better I think it would be a non-issue.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

So, buy or avoid? It looks nice enough, and sounds nice enough for some basic dog fighting.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Screw it, I bought it. 40% off is decent.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

In terms of flying WW2 aircraft and and dogfighting in them - there's nothing that surpasses it. The core game is excellent, it's beautiful and immersive and just wonderful to fly. It's also set on a massive map you can fly all around on.

There's largely a dearth of content however - the single player campaign is basically a glorified quick mission generator and is generally considered a flop. Multiplayer exists, and is fun, but there's very few servers because they're all official/semi-official and there's no custom content yet.

The sale price is probably worth it if you enjoy flying around.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
I know it's not by Maddox, but how does the flight model feel compared to old il2? I couldn't get with that at all, it felt like floating in a balloon no matter what the plane/airspeed.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

Banano posted:

I know it's not by Maddox, but how does the flight model feel compared to old il2? I couldn't get with that at all, it felt like floating in a balloon no matter what the plane/airspeed.

Excellent. Feel of speed and weight are there. Lightyears beyond 1946, haven't tried CloD.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Banano posted:

flight model is easily the best part of the game, it feels extremely cool and realistic, and therefore, rather difficult. I'm bad though, having only bought the game a few days ago, never exactly got good at 1946, and have probably been made worse by War Thunder's arcade physics. At least I can take off maybe 90% of the time now (so long as I can find the drat runway). My biggest problem is being too aggressive in my turns trying to follow a bogey, and losing complete control of the aircraft, I'm also really lovely at throttle control in these WW2 planes.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I somewhat regret the money I spent on this. The AI seems overly passive, and the damage model leans on the too harsh side, which increases the amount of deaths in one burst instead of any interesting damage occurring. I vividly remember one flight in 1946 with a dynamic campaign mod, and I had no control over my surfaces. Wasn't dead, but was stuck in a circling pattern. Shooting a little caused me to turn slightly into the friendly border, which allowed me to eject and keep my pilot alive. A mixture of the overly harsh damage model and the boring campaign where your pilot or anything at all that you do has no effect, kinda ruins any fun I can find in the game. Maybe multiplayer is better, but I doubt it.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Was casually flying around when I took a sharp turn and noticed a loud bang, and immediately the plane started rolling

it's cool, don't need that

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

Truga posted:

Tbh, I prefer games with terrible UI/menus to games that work great in menus and then break down once you're rendering polygons and give you 3 fps on a hilariously overpriced rig.

I'm looking at you IL-2: Cliffs of Dover. :commissar:

I bit the bullet and bought Cliffs of Dover. Hey it was about 7 euros in Steam sales and is often available for 2.5$ via Amazon PC download [IF YOU ARE FROM US of A]. The community patches apparently repair some bits of it and I want my modern Hurricane/Spitfire action, so maybe I get maybe a few evening's worth.

I sloooowly downloaded 3.2 Gb of community patches from a page straight outta 2003 for the game while doing advanced horseshit PC gaming combat to get the shitcan original CloD to work in Windows 8.1. I didn't. Even now I have no idea what I actually did to get the game to even start running for the first time.

Then I did some more advanced horseshit PC gaming combat to actually install the abovementioned 3.2Gb of community patches downloaded. Fighting against false positives and something called maddox.dll I fight my way through patches, and the game seems to start easier and easier after each patch. Copious amounts of beer and wine were consumed during this process. Still skeptical of the whole thing.

After a meager of 3 hours download time (yeah) and 2 hours of PC gaming magic I got the game to work. TF patch just overrides the entire old installation and the game actually runs in Steam. Great! Let's hit the quick mission. To my surprise the game works! It actually looks pretty decent and it seems to work as intended. Cool. Let's check in MP, I have experience with BoS and 1946, maybe I'll find a small game ...

... 80 people in the open, team ATAG -run full realism server :stare:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

El Perkele posted:

... 80 people in the open, team ATAG -run full realism server :stare:

Okay, that's a reason to reinstall Cliffs of Dover.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Okay, that's a reason to reinstall Cliffs of Dover.

Currently seems to run at "just" 50 http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/index.php

edit: Apparently the game currentyl supports 128 players

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I hear Cliffs gets really really good with the team fusion patches. The issue is that pc gaming magic. Once they fix that poo poo up, I'm reinstalling.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Poking around on hard drive, found this old gem, thought I'd share it with y'all. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGktbGvFE4s

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

I just started playing BoS. I've played probably 10 missions so far, and have only just started to land my plane at the end of the mission without crashing. Progress!

I also bought Cliffs of Dover and installed all the Team Fusion patches. My problem with Cliffs of Dover though is I prefer to play single player, but I couldn't work out how to interact with the AI wingmen. In BoS they follow you from the start of the mission and you can give them little commands like 'attack nearest ground', 'return to base' etc. Is there a similar command system in CoD, or am I poo poo out of luck? (at the very least I'd like my wingmen to follow me).

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b28feq8C0c&hd=1

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
http://www.twitch.tv/pixelbaron/c/5092733

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

lol

the constant german on the radio even as your body smashes into the ground makes it