Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'm usually just staying at the max rpm & pressure that's listed as contuous mode, and open the radiators as needed.

Combat mode can be engaged safely for what, 30 minutes, right? After that the game should roll a dice every x ticks on whether you're running engine trouble, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

New patch has been released and it's great. You can actually see contacts now!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Molentik posted:

New patch has been released and it's great. You can actually see contacts now!

Getting spotting working right on a wide range of monitors, video cards, and resolutions has been a holy grail in combat sims for years. My new TM16000 needs some quality time with IL-2 anyway, so I'll check it out this weekend.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Hurricane dropped today and man, is it awesome.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Gewehr 43 posted:

Hurricane dropped today and man, is it awesome.

The plane the authorities came to blame.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I’ve been jumping onto wings of liberty fairly often during peak times.

Where did we land on the attempt to get goons flying together? Is there a particular discord voice server I can lurk on while I’m in game?

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Abongination posted:

I’ve been jumping onto wings of liberty fairly often during peak times.

Where did we land on the attempt to get goons flying together? Is there a particular discord voice server I can lurk on while I’m in game?

Pretty active IL2 crowd. Ping a mod to get the il2 role. Bonkers is our resident ace. Seek him out for advice or general il2 stuff. https://discord.gg/VAu7An2

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Bumping this thread in case there are any il2 goons out there sitting on the fence.

Been flying with the air goons these last few days and have had good times. Good to just lurk in the discord when you're flying and folks will jump in with you.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I keep meaning to play this again. I ditched my Tobii Eyetracker for TrackIR again since I was able to get a 3rd party wireless TrackIR Pro that I can just velcro to my headset. Works fantastically and I can still get up and walk around without taking anything off.

What time are goons usually playing?

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

my kinda ape posted:

I keep meaning to play this again. I ditched my Tobii Eyetracker for TrackIR again since I was able to get a 3rd party wireless TrackIR Pro that I can just velcro to my headset. Works fantastically and I can still get up and walk around without taking anything off.

Around 8pm eastern, 5pm Pacific, but there are also some brits and Aussies who have our in their time zones or make it into our peak times.

Usually just a few people, but there's good fun to be had with a small group and the element of teamwork

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

my kinda ape posted:

Got any more specifics on that wireless one? Sounds nice.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

That Works posted:

Got any more specifics on that wireless one? Sounds nice.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Puck-Wireless-Head-Tracking-Head-Tracker-TrackIR-5-alternative-SEE-VIDEO/164258167968

Takes a AA battery and works exactly like the TrackIR Pro clip.

He also makes another version with a different housing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Head-Tracking-OpenTrack-Head-Tracker-TrackIR-5-alternative-SEE-VIDEO/164095686793

They're both identical besides the looks and how the battery compartment opens so get whatever you think looks better if you buy one.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

my kinda ape posted:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Puck-Wireless-Head-Tracking-Head-Tracker-TrackIR-5-alternative-SEE-VIDEO/164258167968

He also makes another version with a different housing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Head-Tracking-OpenTrack-Head-Tracker-TrackIR-5-alternative-SEE-VIDEO/164095686793

They're both identical besides the looks and how the battery compartment opens so get whatever you think looks better if you buy one.

He’s also super responsive, and shipping was near-instantaneous. Also, the view angles on the LEDs is slightly better than on a track clip, so you’ll have a better time looking down, particularly.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
It might seem silly but that was kind of the thing that really turned me off from flight sims. Head tracking is a game changer but I hate either having to wear a hat for decent head tracking, having to clip a wired device to my wireless headset which keeps me tied down for great head tracking, or having to deal with somewhat janky and more limited eye tracking.

The battery powered one I can slap on and turn on in three seconds and forget about it until I'm done gaming and take my headset off. If you're not using VR and don't mind putting a little velcro patch on your headphones I highly recommend it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Thanks!

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

my kinda ape posted:

You can also make your own for about $15 if you're into electronics at all. If not, $45 is a decent price.

I get real weird about having extra weight on one side of my head or the other, so I went with a 4~5 hour battery setup for my current one.

My first wired mess that somehow always had connection issues next to my first wireless one I built with 10+ hours of battery. The battery is the same size as the perfboard.

GEE I WONDER WHY IT HAD CONNECTION ISSUES?

And my current one:

For scale, the little blue board is the same in both pics.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 24, 2020

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

My friend wants a joystick, the 16000 was the nice all round good one right?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Flannelette posted:

My friend wants a joystick, the 16000 was the nice all round good one right?

Yeah it's the good bang for your buck one. One step above that would be the X-56 HOTAS I think?

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
I rock the full T16000M kit and it's really good, the rudder pedals are a bit stiff/average is the only complaint and I could probably adjust it if I could really be bothered.

Good bang for buck as mentioned above.

*edit

Can you give a link or brief rundown of the process of going wireless and the components I should order? I've got this old 3d printed IR frame that I'd love to chuck a small battery into.

Abongination fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 24, 2020

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

my kinda ape posted:

It might seem silly but that was kind of the thing that really turned me off from flight sims. Head tracking is a game changer but I hate either having to wear a hat for decent head tracking, having to clip a wired device to my wireless headset which keeps me tied down for great head tracking, or having to deal with somewhat janky and more limited eye tracking.

The battery powered one I can slap on and turn on in three seconds and forget about it until I'm done gaming and take my headset off. If you're not using VR and don't mind putting a little velcro patch on your headphones I highly recommend it.

Oooh, I might give it a go then. The TiaraIR I guess gets the job done, but I feel like it cuts out a lot.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Abongination posted:

I rock the full T16000M kit and it's really good, the rudder pedals are a bit stiff/average is the only complaint and I could probably adjust it if I could really be bothered.

Good bang for buck as mentioned above.

*edit

Can you give a link or brief rundown of the process of going wireless and the components I should order? I've got this old 3d printed IR frame that I'd love to chuck a small battery into.

This is perfect as it already runs at 5V,.

You need a battery:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C9RQQMX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BTPNS2B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A chargy boy: https://www.amazon.com/McIgIcM-Lith...8MV288VQ1S69PVY

A step up boy: https://www.amazon.com/Comidox-Modu...ctronics&sr=1-3

Or if you want the easiest option possible...a small battery bank and just shorten the USB cable.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Keep in mind that T16k is severely overpriced right now because lack of availability

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I've gotten into this game again after buying it 18 months ago. I didn't play it then much, but now it really has its hooks in me.

I'm doing the scripted Tempest campaign with full realism (trying to master complex engine management) and having fun. One thing that was super annoying was trying to find the keybind for opening and closing the radiator. Is it "open/close water radiator"? No. Oil radiator? No. Engine outlet or inlet? No.

It's "Open/close BF109/Spitfire radiator". Doesn't mention Tempest at all. Since I haven't flown either of those planes yet I didn't have it bound.

And of course I accidentally left it open the entire first sortie I flew with it (you usually leave it closed). At least my engine was plenty cool.

Last night I got my first ultra-high-deflection 109 kill. I love the quad Hispanos on the Tempest. One little burst at the exact right split-second was all it took.

Oh, and I found this mod that replaces the gf picture in the cockpit with pilot notes. It's useful for my fellow volcel pilots that don't need no woman.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Trillhouse posted:

I've gotten into this game again after buying it 18 months ago. I didn't play it then much, but now it really has its hooks in me.

I'm doing the scripted Tempest campaign with full realism (trying to master complex engine management) and having fun. One thing that was super annoying was trying to find the keybind for opening and closing the radiator. Is it "open/close water radiator"? No. Oil radiator? No. Engine outlet or inlet? No.

It's "Open/close BF109/Spitfire radiator". Doesn't mention Tempest at all. Since I haven't flown either of those planes yet I didn't have it bound.

And of course I accidentally left it open the entire first sortie I flew with it (you usually leave it closed). At least my engine was plenty cool.

Last night I got my first ultra-high-deflection 109 kill. I love the quad Hispanos on the Tempest. One little burst at the exact right split-second was all it took.

Oh, and I found this mod that replaces the gf picture in the cockpit with pilot notes. It's useful for my fellow volcel pilots that don't need no woman.

Yeah, the control binding is one of the jankiest things in game. If it's any consolation, I never open the radiator in the tempest and have never overheated it in flight.
My pet peeve is you can only use 'standard' modifiers like ctrl, alt, shift and not buttons on your hotas.

The cockpit photo mod is fantastic, I urge everyone to try it if you flying without simplified engine management

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I'm using opentrack and an app on my phone called SmoothTrack for headtracking. Works over my local network, works a treat. Opentrack is free, the phone app was $5.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Grumio posted:

Yeah, the control binding is one of the jankiest things in game. If it's any consolation, I never open the radiator in the tempest and have never overheated it in flight.
My pet peeve is you can only use 'standard' modifiers like ctrl, alt, shift and not buttons on your hotas.

The cockpit photo mod is fantastic, I urge everyone to try it if you flying without simplified engine management

I learned my lesson. It was just driving me crazy knowing I couldn't find the bind. It took a google deep-dive to figure out the issue.

The steam Autumn sale started today and most IL2 stuff is on sale, including Flying Circus, which is 66% off. I got it, plus Moscow (the only other major DLC I didn't already have) plus the Yak-9T for funsies. Because I like fighter planes with big loving cannons.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
Nows the time to dive in if you're been on the fence.

Stalingrad is $10 AUD so a couple bucks in freedom dollars

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Very much worth it, especially now they have fixed spotting.

E: For the people who like to fly bombers; We (Dedicated Bomber Squadron) are flying every friday and sunday around 2000h GMT, flying formations, bombing and getting shot down a lot, usually on the Finnish Virtual or Wings of Liberty servers.

Feel free to join us on our Discord, we are open to pilots of all skill levels as long as you use a joystick. Most of us are EU/UK based but we have a couple of regulars from the US too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL0ulG05iQs

link to our discord.

Molentik fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 27, 2020

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Look at this prick making GBS threads on my PS3 controller.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
I have a hard time figuring out how to realistically play this game, as my desk just frankly is not set up to plant a joystick somewhere solid (desk is too high - keyboard is in a pull out tray and won't really work with a joystick on there).

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Put it in you lap. You know, "the dedicated joystick area", were all such things shall reside. Or get an extension and put it on the floor?

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Some of you probably know this, but it was a literal game-changer as someone who likes this game but doesn't have the time or patience for missions that take 20 minutes to get to the action in career mission.

If you do a career, you can set yourself as flight commander at the start. This lets you edit mission waypoints. If you chose the "start in flight" option you start at waypoint 2. So if you edit the mission waypoint 2 to be close to the action, you can skip a lot of the boring stuff. Also, I just found out that you can just click "Finish Mission" and as long as you're over friendly territory and it will still count. Helpful if you don't have time to land.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Flying Circus Vol II is gonna have the Gotha G.V. It's a heavy bomber from the days before planes actually worked. We had a Rise of Flight goon Gotha race years ago where the winner was whomever could fly, like, 1000 yards.

Wikipedia posted:

Operational use of the Gotha G.IV demonstrated that the incorporation of the fuel tanks into the engine nacelles was a mistake. In a crash landing the tanks could rupture and spill fuel onto the hot engines. This posed a serious problem because landing accidents caused 75% of operational losses. In response Gothaer produced the G.V, which housed its fuel tanks inside the fuselage. The smaller engine nacelles were mounted on struts above the lower wing.

The base variant of G.V offered no performance improvement over the G.IV. The G.V was up to 450 kg (990 lb) heavier than the G.IV due to additional equipment and the use of insufficiently seasoned timber. The Mercedes D.IVa engines could not produce the rated 190 kW (260 hp) due to inferior quality of fuel.

It flies like a wild turkey except less graceful.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Gotha and other WW1 bombers are like peak airplane insanity. To be a crew member in one of those must have been terrifying, airplanes had barely been around a decade and you're flying in this wood/wire contraption with probably unreliable mechanical components and zero safety considerations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Put it in you lap. You know, "the dedicated joystick area", were all such things shall reside. Or get an extension and put it on the floor?

Use a small folding table, the so-called "TV tray" tables. Mine works great. You just need one that is midway between your lap and the bottom of your desk.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I want to get Flying Circus vol I but even at $17 I'm skeptical because it still doesn't have a dynamic campaign. The planes look fun to mess around in, are multiplayer servers active for WW1 stuff?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Isn't it a bit buggy from them not properly porting the ww1 stuff to the newest version of the Il-2 engine?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Popete posted:

I want to get Flying Circus vol I but even at $17 I'm skeptical because it still doesn't have a dynamic campaign. The planes look fun to mess around in, are multiplayer servers active for WW1 stuff?

Can you not use PWCG to get a dynamic campaign (and a much better than vanilla one at that) anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nipperi
Nov 1, 2011
Did they fix the broken damage model in FC already? Apparently when they improved the DM in Great Battles it totally broke FC. Planes disintegrating after one stray bullet hit etc. Or was it all just internet forum hyperbole?