Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I think they were having trouble with the Spitfire.

It has an automatic supercharger with the option to manually shift it down to a lower gear.

Engine modes:
Max Cruising power (unlimited time): 2650 RPM, boost +7
International power (up to 1 hour): 2850 RPM, boost +12
Emergency Max All Out power (up to 5 minutes): 3000 RPM, boost +18

You can probably get away with just always running International Power. It looks like pretty much everything else is automated as well (radiators/prop pitch/mixture) so there shouldn't be much to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Yer, a lot of the combat modes will have a 30 min to 1 hour duration which will generally be shorter then your flight online.

Theres a brilliant mod that changes your sweetheart photo into a quick reference sheet for each aircraft and its the best. Phone posting in class or else Id find it for ya.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Major Isoor posted:

Is it just me, or is the gunner AI way better than it was back in the BoS/BoM days? Back then gunners seemed rather hopeless, unless the enemy is 100m away. But the last couple of days I've seen my gunner take down four enemy yaks! (Across three career sorties)

He hit 3/4 from over a kilometre away, too. I just line him up and he fires a short burst into them, hitting their engines and starts leaking juices. Then they break off (before even firing a shot, most of the time!) and eventually fall out of the sky while trying to desperately make it back to base. I mean, just earlier I did a little fancy flying to get an enemy wing leader into a low, disadvantageous position (and to avoid most of his fire) then my gunner put a burst into his engine and canopy from above, sending him into the dirt.

Meanwhile though, the wingman AI (for 110s at least) seems to be worse than ever - my wingmen just patrol the waypoint instead of seeking out the IL-2s ~15kms away, that we've been tasked with destroying!
So yeah, has anyone else noticed this? With regards to gunners, that is. I think I actually prefer having a competent gunner than competent AI wingmen, with the luck I've had so far!

You can't safely beat tail gunners in a gun fight when you are in their field of view, they will just pilot kill you or gently caress your engine up enough you will be forced to RTB. Best bet is to sneak up to them in a blind spot. I made a video that shows you where all the blind spots are a while back. The Peshka with the upgraded turret is insane because of how much it can traverse, it can shoot over its own wings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WISxJdJqOw

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
diving and slashing up at their belly works well enough if it feels they're expecting you and your only option is to come from behind but it takes an annoyingly long amount of time to setup

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I studied all of Requiem's Air Combat Tutorial Library for learning how to approach bombers and it's done a great job of teaching me exactly where I should be when I decide to throw all of that out the window and dive in from behind because this time I'll shoot him super quick and there's just no way he'll get me.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

I only fly bombers, and attacks from high 1 or 2 o'clock are by far the most difficult to defend against.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

that's the ideal angle but not always as easy to setup unless you're willing to burn a lot of time

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Molentik posted:

I only fly bombers, and attacks from high 1 or 2 o'clock are by far the most difficult to defend against.

This is also the most difficult to attempt!

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Abongination posted:

Yer, a lot of the combat modes will have a 30 min to 1 hour duration which will generally be shorter then your flight online.

Theres a brilliant mod that changes your sweetheart photo into a quick reference sheet for each aircraft and its the best. Phone posting in class or else Id find it for ya.
Pilot Notes in Cockpit

I can't play without this mod. It helps so much when you're switching between different planes regularly.

also it doesn't count as a mod because it just replaces the picture, so you can use it on any multiplayer server without getting banned, in case you're worried about that.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Who is playing this game and doesn't have Battle of Moscow? 1st person to quote this wins a copy. (note you need to have Battle of Stalingrad installed at minimum).

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

That Works posted:

Who is playing this game and doesn't have Battle of Moscow? 1st person to quote this wins a copy. (note you need to have Battle of Stalingrad installed at minimum).

ooooh I'll grab it!

I want to fly that 109 E-7

e: code received and activated, giving it a shot tonight. You're awesome, thanks!

Teeter fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 12, 2021

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
For those who do not have BoN but are curious of the loadouts this is a no bullshit under 3 minute video to show you what the loadouts and aircraft dimensions look like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb52UPnznUs

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

The patch is weird because I was just playing a campaign in DCS last week where you bomb a building that turns out to be storing ammo and there's a huge explosion that catches you and your wingman off guard. And I remember thinking "it would make IL-2 feel a lot more dynamic if random trucks sometimes carried ammo and had huge explosions."

and then IL-2 adds exactly that in the next patch.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Trillhouse posted:

The patch is weird because I was just playing a campaign in DCS last week where you bomb a building that turns out to be storing ammo and there's a huge explosion that catches you and your wingman off guard. And I remember thinking "it would make IL-2 feel a lot more dynamic if random trucks sometimes carried ammo and had huge explosions."

and then IL-2 adds exactly that in the next patch.

They've had huge explosions for a bit iirc.

Certainly seemed that way while I was flying the Il-2 a year or two ago.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
This was a specific update for the newest patch.

quote:

Main features
1. German fighter/bomber Fw 190 A-6 is now available to all Battle of Normandy owners;
2. Fw 190 A-6 added to Rheinland Career mode (to the 1st and 2nd chapters to joinable squadrons III./JG 11, I./JG 26 and II./JG 26 and to all chapters to AI squadrons III./KG 51 and NSGr. 20);
3. Bf 109 E-7 got 4K quality external textures;
4. There are new truck variations (which look exactly like the regular ones) that are loaded with ammo and explode when attacked in a spectacular way;

Visual effects improvements
38. New bomb ground and water impact (impact, not explosion) effects;
39. 50-100 kg bombs explosion effects have a new style (it is planned to update all the explosions in a similar way);
40. Additional explosion effects added for rounds containing more than 450 g and less than 1500 g explosives;
41. Improved gunfire effects for the detailed ground vehicles;
42. APHE explosion effects corrected accordingly to the number of explosives they contain;
43. Ground vehicles leave better-looking tracks;

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Popete posted:

[patchnotes]

Sooo you need to attack them in a spectacular way, in order for it to explode? :v: I wonder what the minimum requirement is...maybe flying upside down?
(Sorry, I couldn't resist haha - not helpful I know!)

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Teeter posted:

ooooh I'll grab it!

I want to fly that 109 E-7

e: code received and activated, giving it a shot tonight. You're awesome, thanks!

Quoting myself because I could not find any way to fly the Bf 109 E-7 in a PWCG career. I double-checked that I had it enabled in the "Owned Planes" screen but no combination of starting date/map/squadron had it as an option. They all went with the F-2 and F-4.

Is there something I'm missing here?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Attack bombers like the pros ! These are from Lundstrom's First Team, the definitive account of USN fighters ops through Midway. Forgive the low quality of the scan.

These can take a while to set up, but you get very good shots at the bomber while denying its gunners good shots at you. In War Thunder, you probably don't have time for these attacks, but in IL-2 it'll increase your success rate dramatically. Proper use of energy will let you set up for a second attack quickly.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Teeter posted:

Quoting myself because I could not find any way to fly the Bf 109 E-7 in a PWCG career. I double-checked that I had it enabled in the "Owned Planes" screen but no combination of starting date/map/squadron had it as an option. They all went with the F-2 and F-4.

Is there something I'm missing here?

I think PWCG puts them with attacker squadrons since, they were pretty much exclusively that even by the point of the Moscow campaign.

So just check out the category with BF-110 or HS-129 squadrons, they should be there. (Same goes for ground attack oriented FWs like the fresh A6 and such)

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Major Isoor posted:

Sooo you need to attack them in a spectacular way, in order for it to explode? :v: I wonder what the minimum requirement is...maybe flying upside down?
(Sorry, I couldn't resist haha - not helpful I know!)

You beat me to it :argh:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

ground attack is actially fun in this game and i always like seeing the boom before hearing it

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Warad posted:

I think PWCG puts them with attacker squadrons since, they were pretty much exclusively that even by the point of the Moscow campaign.

So just check out the category with BF-110 or HS-129 squadrons, they should be there. (Same goes for ground attack oriented FWs like the fresh A6 and such)

This was it, thanks!

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Il2 has just released promo codes associated with your profile on the official website.

50% off, can still get them even if you create a new account.

Il2 Forums posted:

Pilots,

The McRib sandwich IL-2 Promo Codes Are Back for a limited time! They are good only in the Official IL-2 Webstore!

The codes are good until March 22nd, 2021 at 10:00am Pacific Time.

We have put two codes in your profile.

The first is good 50% Off all products except - TC, BON, FC2, AAA Vehicles and Dover series products.

The second is good for 35% Off Tank Crew.

You can find the codes in your IL-2 User Account which you can access from the Main Page of the website. You just have to log in and go to Profile then Promo Codes. They are easy to find. Just copy and apply them in the Cart at checkout.

IMPORTANT: Remember, we don't mean your forum profile and only apply the code once you are fully READY for checkout otherwise the store will think you have already redeemed it if you hit your browser's back button. Shop carefully so you don't have to contact support.

NOTE: This is why it's a great time to LINK your BOS Steam purchase with your IL-2 User Account. Steam does not allow promo codes like this, so make sure to link it and take advantage of these promo codes. https://il2sturmovik.com/m/SteamAndIL2AccountGuide.pdf

NOTE: New user accounts will receive their promo codes in about 24 hours after creation.

REMEMBER: Spread the word! Direct sales from the IL-2 Official Webstore give us a higher profit margin helping us to create more content and expand the team.

Finally, the team is on holiday until February 24th. Customer Support tickets will be delayed until after the team returns.

Enjoy!

Jason

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I'm morbidly curious if there anything worthwhile in the older Il-2: Cliffs of Dover, as I just saw they had a new North Africa expansion come out a few months ago from the mod team that took over development. I'm assuming new Il-2 eclipses it in every way, as no one talks about the old one.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Cliffs of Dover was very "Stay far away" material for a while because it was overengineered. I've heard that the Africa module, along with the continuous support by the Daedelus team, has turned it around and CoD+ is now a pleasant experience, but I don't know many people with first-hand experience

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

pthighs posted:

I'm morbidly curious if there anything worthwhile in the older Il-2: Cliffs of Dover, as I just saw they had a new North Africa expansion come out a few months ago from the mod team that took over development. I'm assuming new Il-2 eclipses it in every way, as no one talks about the old one.

It’s absolutely first rate for multiplayer stuff, but it’s not great otherwise.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I could never get past the whole "lean in to the gunsight view" thing. Having to quickly go back and forth between leaned in and ... not... in order to headtrack another airplane absolutely killed both of the CloD games for me.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Isn't the default shortcut Shift+F1 to move your PoV in front of the gunsight?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Isn't the default shortcut Shift+F1 to move your PoV in front of the gunsight?

I have no idea what the key command is, but when you do it, it limits how far you can move your view up/down/left/right. So, as soon as an enemy plane flies out of the small area of vision, you have to pull back out of the gunsight view and reacquire. It's entirely probable there's a way around it, but both CloD and Tobruk did it and it was super frustrating to me.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I admittedly have very little time put into CloD, but it seems fine. It is more DCS like in that it is a click cockpit for nearly every control, which if that is your thing then there you go. However the minor simplifications of Great Battles series is preferred for me overall. Not to mention the UI and menus are 100% better and overall control scheme/map-able controls in Great Battles is better.

That being said: CloD is the only way to play early war and that is my preferred time frame. There is no Battle of France or Battle of Britain in Great Battles (yet) and it is sorely missed. It also is the only way to play in Africa.

Also CloD has no VR which apparently turns off almost all of the player-base that would keep CloD as alive and populated as Great Battles.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Yeah, the lack of VR is the biggest problem. I flew some CloD multiplayer before VR got big, and it was fantastic doing channel patrols and bomber intercepts and all that good stuff. They had a really nice dynamic multiplayer server and cool radio stuff.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Cool radio stuff?

Cooler than

"ROUGHMAN! THREE TARGET DESTROYED"

????

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
“Hier ist Adler 3, Feind in Ansicht! Weit entfernt. Angriff unterwegs!”

(This isnt the exact quote but it what comes to mind)

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Oh boy, just got the TFRP pedals to complete my T.16000M set and holy poo poo are rudder pedals currently extremely confusing.

Should these things have a deadzone for center? I keep losing track of my feet.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
I have the 16000 pedals and the it can be tough to find the middle sometime. Setting up deadzones can really help but I'll admit that sometimes I just raise my feet off the pedals to force it to center.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

dialhforhero posted:

“Hier ist Adler 3, Feind in Ansicht! Weit entfernt. Angriff unterwegs!”

(This isnt the exact quote but it what comes to mind)

I can hear this.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I would recommend a very heavy curve. like 50% or something. you want big movements to matter more than subtle inputs.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Hace posted:

I would recommend a very heavy curve. like 50% or something. you want big movements to matter more than subtle inputs.

Excellent call, that helps a lot. Now I just have to internalize "push the direction you want to go" instead of the twist-with-my-feet my brain wants to do.

EDIT: And do some planes just not have toe brakes? Differential brakes only? I can't seem to get the left or right wheel brakes to actually work.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 11, 2021

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Squiggle posted:

EDIT: And do some planes just not have toe brakes? Differential brakes only?

Yes.

Now you just have to get a feel for the right direction to push in, which at least I felt very counter-intuitive at first for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.
It took me 5-10 hours to get used to pedals. But now, after over 100 hours, it's perfectly intuitive and I don't think I could go back.