Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Popete posted:

Anyone having issues with taxing on the ground lately?

I've been playing this game for years and after this most recent patch a bunch of my key binds seemed to have been reset but besides that every German plane is impossible to taxi with. I'm using '.' and ',' for wheel brakes but it has almost no effect regardless of throttle setting. I was playing on the Finish server and it looked like a lot of other players were having issues too.

I've not noticed any difference; 109s have always been difficult to taxi. Turning right is especially hard with the engine torque but if you apply some forward stick pressure that can help vOv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Unlock the tailwheel? Lshift+G is the default IIRC.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SkySteak posted:

Is this the sort of game that can still be quite enjoyable, even if you don't have a full Track IR/VR setup or high end joysticks? I am speaking as someone whom has a humble and decrepit Logitech 3D Pro.

I have good news for you about head tracking !

Opentrack is free, that runs on your PC. You can get Android or iOS apps to work with it, those usually cost about $5. I used this setup with FS2020 a lot before VR came out for it, it works very well. And for $5, you'd be a fool not to set it up.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

I use a webcam and ViewTracker found on Steam. Works well enough.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Grumio posted:

I've not noticed any difference; 109s have always been difficult to taxi. Turning right is especially hard with the engine torque but if you apply some forward stick pressure that can help vOv

Molentik posted:

Unlock the tailwheel? Lshift+G is the default IIRC.

Thanks, just wanted to confirm it wasn't an issue with the new patch. Maybe I'm just bad at taxiing now! It's been a couple months since I've really played it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

Thanks, just wanted to confirm it wasn't an issue with the new patch. Maybe I'm just bad at taxiing now! It's been a couple months since I've really played it.

Ok I finally figured this out, my yaw axis was no longer assigned to my joystick. Not sure why this most recent patch reset a bunch of my joystick assignments but I think I've gotten them mostly all sorted out again and I can finally taxi like normal again.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Patches wiping custom keymaps has to rank as one of my biggest pet peeves in gaming. I haven't touched the DCS F-14 in months because when the A model dropped, it wiped all of my custom mappings.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Gewehr 43 posted:

Patches wiping custom keymaps has to rank as one of my biggest pet peeves in gaming. I haven't touched the DCS F-14 in months because when the A model dropped, it wiped all of my custom mappings.

It didn’t. It renamed the folder ”f14b” to ”f-14”. The old folder will have your binds and you can reload them to B and A.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Anyone us a G2 VR headset that knows of a good way to prevent fogging?

I can't play for like more than an hour after working out and showering it seems.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That Works posted:

Anyone us a G2 VR headset that knows of a good way to prevent fogging?

I can't play for like more than an hour after working out and showering it seems.

I live in a subtropical hell world and don’t have significant problems with fogging. (I am using it in an air conditioned room...)

When I still had my Vive Pro I got a little desk fan on Amazon and pointed it at my face, and that helped a ton, particularly during extended sessions.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Vahakyla posted:

It didn’t. It renamed the folder ”f14b” to ”f-14”. The old folder will have your binds and you can reload them to B and A.

Now what excuse am I going to use for being a lovely tomcat pilot? :mad:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Gewehr 43 posted:

Now what excuse am I going to use for being a lovely tomcat pilot? :mad:

loving Jester

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

:hmmyes:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Module sale on Steam and main store.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

And the C-47 and Li-2 will be flyable in the future!

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.
As I said on Discord, I made a big push today to organize the Il-2 part of the AirGoons wiki. Any contributions are welcome, please come share your extensive knowledge of Yak-1 radiator settings :spergin:

https://www.airgoons.com/w/IL-2_Sturmovik:_Great_Battles

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Noosphere posted:

As I said on Discord, I made a big push today to organize the Il-2 part of the AirGoons wiki. Any contributions are welcome, please come share your extensive knowledge of Yak-1 radiator settings :spergin:

https://www.airgoons.com/w/IL-2_Sturmovik:_Great_Battles

Oh perfect, I just finished getting IL2 set up again cause I wanted to make another run of getting into it.

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

The Finnish Virtual Pilots server is finally back to the sunny beaches of Kuban :toot:

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Finally!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
:frogsiren: MUSTANG AIR RACE :frogsiren:

Time: 2000 UTC on saturday the 12th, in two days.
Air Goons Discord.

This saturday, we will be using the free mustang, with free caucasus map, in DCS. You don't need to spend any money to partake in this, even if you don't own jack poo poo.

Concept: a Red Bull race style air race where you will be passing through cones and radio tower gates with your TF-51 Mustang, and on the third lap you will have to be able to land, have at least ONE landing gear strut remaining, and your pilot will have to be able to exit the plane alive. The other referee and announcer is making a short power point about the rules that will be in use and it will be shown in Discord Stream before race start.

This race will be played three times. Each individual race has 5 points for winner, 4 for 2nd, 3 for 3rd, 2 for 4th, and 1 for 5th.

It will be from an air start, and the event also starts from a quick fly-through of the track for clarity.
TF-51 is the trainer version of P-51 Mustang that is in DCS for free, and the game is free. FREE I SAY.

Put your name onto this list if you want to fly and join!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Grz7yEp70GOFfjch3zD1mp2TpDStdapDdqNVTAOu6c/edit#gid=0

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

:siren:Il-2 Summer of 2021 1v1 Tournament:siren:

The idea is to hold an asynchronous, summer long series of duels, resulting in a champion being crowned. He shall stand tall, confident that he truly is a greater e-pilot than his fellow nerds :chord:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vJ3EYxrpjYWsJXYHUPySsaBUxX5Mox5G1vOw5PmflYs/edit?usp=sharing

Sign up on the above spreadsheet, then come arrange the time and date for your duels on the Airgoons discord.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I finally plugged the U-2VS-shaped hole in my plane list, and have enjoyed the last few hours of getting high and leisurely flying around Kuban in VR.

A lovely little plane. Can't imagine what it's useful for, but just lovely.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Squiggle posted:

I finally plugged the U-2VS-shaped hole in my plane list, and have enjoyed the last few hours of getting high and leisurely flying around Kuban in VR.

A lovely little plane. Can't imagine what it's useful for, but just lovely.

I flew a campaign mission in it. It was autopilot for half an hour, at night, then drop your tiny bombs onto a target you can't really see, then autopilot home. It was in VR so it looked really cool when the air defense network picked up on the other planes and suddenly there's flak and searchlights all up ahead. But very little to actually do.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

The U-2 is great on the Finnish server to hunt tanks with. Take 40L fuel, 2x100kg bombs, rockets, the radio and the reargunner.

Set the reargunner to atrack ground targets to locate panzers, disable them with a rocket barrage and then turn around and finish them with a bomb on the engine deck.

You really have watch out for that co-ax MG so use the terrain to stay out of sight.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

One of the guys on the discord mentioned using the U2 to spot tanks with and shoot flares at when friendly anti-tank aircraft were close which let them zero in on the tank and kill it pretty quick.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.
Hopped back to the game after what feels like a pretty long break. Glad to see I can still sorta fly, but god drat getting the Opentrack etc. back to what they used to be is horrible.

Did a couple of runs at Virpil/WoL servers; it feels like percentage of winged players is pretty high. As a solo pilot I feel pretty confined to low level raids on soft targets, lest I wanna get shot down by a swarm of angry bees. Are discord goons flying actively or at all?

edit: God drat, P-38 and Tempest are just glorious.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
There's some activity on the Air Goons discord. DCS is probably the top active, then MSFS, and IL-2 might be 3rd. Doesn't hurt to hop on and ping the IL-2 players.

Some goons are working on a DCS Cold War server, and many have WWII planes for DCS and would enjoy an excuse to fly them multiplayer.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Not sure if you joined the Air Goons discord (link in op). Give a shout to get the IL-2 tag and @IL-2 to ping IL-2 players whenever you are playing.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Not sure if you joined the Air Goons discord (link in op). Give a shout to get the IL-2 tag and @IL-2 to ping IL-2 players whenever you are playing.

Will do. Went to WoL Discord last evening, good times & fites were had.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Patch is out with new cloud tech.

Update 4.701 posted:

Hello Everyone!

Today is a Big Day for our project and our community - update 4.701 is now available! And with it comes a new game world technology – cloud rendering based on hypertextures. This technology, in comparison with the previous one, carries a number of improvements, such as:

Increased variety of cloud cover;
A new level of scale of cloud formations;
Higher level (macro level) of cloud structures;
Greater realism of structures and forms of cloud formations;
Improved lighting model of clouds, and objects under and in the clouds;
Diverse structure of overcast clouds (including "windows" and cloudless areas);
Localization of precipitation under significant cloud formations and, as a consequence, localization of precipitation on the map;
New visualization of precipitation at a distance;
New rainfall lighting model;
Lack of repeatability of the cloud distribution map on the scale of the game map;
Reduced number of "compromise" solutions such as "object outlines" "mountain intersection aliasing", etc.;
Increased performance of the graphics subsystem.

The mission format was changed, so third-party missions and campaigns need to be re-saved using Mission Editor or Mission Re-saver utility. Old track records can be played by deleting the .msnbin file from their folder. We have taken great care in mimicking the current cloud selection options for mission builders, so all your older missions are technically compatible with the new clouds. However, the clouds will look quite different and you may need to adjust your mission design to get the desired result. The new clouds are much larger on average than the current ones so visuals will be quite a bit different. We apologize if the new clouds inconveniences mission makers. We hope that the improvements outweigh any problems and we also hope to add some additional cloud patterns in the coming months.

Overall, we hope the new clouds will significantly increase the visual realism of our simulator, as well as bring a new greater simming and gaming experience.

Another great addition in this update is for Flying Circus – Vol. II. Included is the versatile two-seater - the German DFW C.V. It was the most common aircraft of this type on the German side from 1917 until the end of the First World War. This small aircraft is capable of carrying up to 200 kilograms of 12- and 50-kilogram bombs. Additionally, it is armed with a Spandau machine gun and a defensive Parabellum. Various modifications are provided for the installation of a camera, radio, defensive turret with a Parabellum coaxial machine gun or a Becker 20mm automatic cannon. The placement of the Benz Bz.IV engine is a peculiar one, in which the pilot has significant difficulties in looking ahead. However, this motor is quite powerful at 200hp. Quite an accomplishment in 1917.

In addition, this update brings a long-awaited development goal - all planes are converted to 4K skins texturing. This was done in coordination with a few super dedicated community members! The last aircraft to be converted from 2K to 4K texturing in update 4.701 is the Yak-1b series 127. In addition, the Battle of Normandy development plan is moving along, and in this update, all map building objects planned for Normandy are available in the Mission Editor. Also in 4.701, all ground vehicles, which were planned for the Flying Circus – Vol. II were added to the project. Finally, there are many other changes and improvements, a complete list of which you can find below:

Main features
1. DFW C.V airplane is now available for all customers who pre-ordered Flying Circus Vol. II;
2. The new hypertexturing cloud technology added to the sim;
3. Yak-1b fighter has external 4K texturing done by Martin = ICDP = Catney;
4. Visual shot effect improved for all guns in the game;
5. New fuel tank explosion visual effects created: different for WWI and WWII era aircraft and for ground and in-flight explosions;
6. Wind direction can be chosen in Quick Mission;
7. Morning/evening fog can now be selected with any weather subtype in Quick Mission;
8. Precipitation strength can now be set separately from the cloud type in Quick Mission;
9. Cloud types have informative names in the Quick Mission weather panel;
10. Fw 190 A3, A5 and A6 aircraft paint schemes updated (Martin = ICDP = Catney);
11. P-39L paint schemes updated (Martin = ICDP = Catney);

New objects for Battle of Normandy
12. European farmsteads “town_eu_small”;
13. English city blocks "town_gb_block";
14. Temporary Mulberry harbor objects "mlbr_bridge", "mlbr_pierhead", "mlbr_phoenix", "mlbr_phoenix";
15. Radar stations Chain Home Low, Chain Home RX, Chain Home TX, FuMG-401 Freya LZ-A, FuMG 41/42 Mammut;
16. V-1 launch site structures (the missile itself is still in development);
17. A short section ramps for railway and road bridges "br_rw_ramphish_dn" and "br_rd_ramphish_dn";
18. A reverse arch for the automobile bridges "br_rw_invarch";
19. Pier object “port_n_walkingpier”;
20. Hangars, barracks and shelters “arf_n_hangarb1”, “arf_n_hangarblister”, “arf_n_hangart2” (open and closed), “arf_n_nissenhut” (in blocks one, two and three barracks), “arf_n_hangarb1”;
21. Objects updated: airfield hangars “arf_hangars_1”, “arf_hangars_2”, “arf_hangars_3”;
22. Objects updated: "arf_caponiers_13_h_1" and "arf_caponiers_14_h_1";
23. Coastal barriers ("hedgehogs", etc.) "bf_n_barrageat", "bf_n_barragebg", "bf_n_barragelog";
24. Defenses “bf_n_mgpos”, “bf_n_aaposmid”, “bf_n_aaposheavy”, “bf_n_artpos”, “bf_n_comandpost”, “bf_n_pbunker” (as well as static artillery of the German coastline defense):
25. Unique landmarks: Ardennes Abbey, Caen Castle, Falaise Castle, Evreux Cathedral, Cherbourg Fort, Moncton Fort, Portsmouth Hospital, Stonehenge, Winchester Prison;
26. German long-range artillery concrete positions R669 (155 mm) and R683 (210 mm);
27. British armored car Humber Mk.IV;

New objects for Flying Circus Vol. II
28. Renault FT tank;
29. Schneider CA 1 tank;
30. Mark V (female) tank;
31. The open version of Leyland 3 Ton truck;
32. The open and ambulance versions of Daimler DR4 truck;
33. The open and mobile AA searchlight versions of Benz LKW 1912 truck;
34. The open, ambulance and mobile AA searchlight versions of Jeffery Quad truck;
35. The German AA 37 mm automatic gun Maxim Flak M14;

Aircraft changes
36. P-51D-15 engine model was fine-tuned and its speeds increased slightly (by about 5-8 miles per hour with a boost of 67 inches) as the result;
37. P-51D-15 handling at high speeds was improved. Controls are a little less stiff within the envelope;
38. P-51D-15 behavior at high Mach numbers was tweaked, Shaking and loss of control at the edge of envelope more severe; More likely to suffer airframe damage if trim used too liberally at high Mach.
39. P-51D-15 autopilot has been improved - the level flight assist more accurately maintains the altitude with different amounts of fuel remaining;
40. The excessive water spattering on the P-51D-15 canopy during the rain has been reduced;
41. Fixed shaking of both SPAD VII.C1 150 hp and 180 hp in the absence of a control signal at high (but lower than buffeting) speeds;
42. The issue of the absence of US pilots in B-25 and A-20 aircraft during Winter has been fixed;
43. The texture of the smoke generators in the hangar was corrected;
44. Fixed the "lagging" of the ammo explosion effect from the aircraft;
45. Reduced the likelihood of cases when a high-speed frontal collision won’t cause aircraft destruction;
46. Ju 87 D-3 brake flaps won’t visually disappear at a distance;
47. The AI pilots try to not hit allies in the line of fire (functionality restored);
48. Fuel tanks and aircraft structure are correctly damaged by AP projectiles fired by simple (non-detailed) AI-controlled objects;
49. Fokker D.VIII: the anemometer is correctly visible from the cockpit;

Ground vehicle changes
50. KV-1s and T-34 mod. 43: the interior visual model of the gun in the mantle area has been improved;
51. KV-1s machine gun ammunition corrected (coaxial MG 25 magazines, rear MG 9 magazines, bow MG 15 magazines);
52. The overestimated combat survivability of guns, guidance mechanisms, electrical systems and radio stations has been reduced on all tanks, both detailed and simple. Tank guns can be disabled by an AP round hit of a similar caliber or multiple hits of .50 and larger caliber AP bullets;
53. MG firing sound correctly stops when a detailed tank is destroyed;
54. AI-controlled tank and aircraft turret MGs sounds corrected;
55. Some AI-controlled tanks and AFVs will fire their coaxial MGs (Humber, SdKfz-222);
56. A game and dedicated server crash bug that could happen randomly in multiplayer missions with A LOT of ground vehicles has been found and fixed;

Career and Quick Mission changes
57. In Сareer mode the UK and US crews have the correct crew visual models and paint schemes depending on their country;
58. Random encounters with high-altitude interceptors (including Me 262) added to AQMG;
59. In AQMG, the behavior of AI bombers in Intercept Bombers type missions has been changed (they may panic, drop the bombs and run away when the flight leader is shot down);
60. UK and US callsigns of ground observation posts have been corrected in AQMG;
61. Correct paint schemes are assigned to aircraft covering the airfield in Attack Airfield type missions in AQMG;
62. The cruise speed of P-47D-22 and P-47D-28 in Career mode missions is adjusted to the historical 250 mph;
63. Two previously AI-only squadrons in the Career mode on the Rhineland map can be joined by the player: No. 322 (Dutch) Squadron RAF and No. 329 (Free French) Squadron RAF.
64. The redeployment mission from Migalovo to Dugino on 22.10.1941 for the German II./LG 2 squadron (Bf 109 E-7) has been restored;

Mission Editor changes
65. Location of the toolbars are saved correctly, system toolbars and sections are removed;
66. It is now possible to set a block of buildings state to ‘destroyed’ by not entering all the individual IDs of the blocks, but only one ID = -1 with a damage level of 1. This should greatly save time for adding a destroyed block of buildings, reduce the size of missions created, mission loading time, and slightly increase performance.
67. Setting the value of block damage with ID = -1 between 0.1 and 0.9 will result in random destruction of the corresponding percentage of buildings in the block (the fewer buildings are in the block the more random it becomes). The random destruction of specific buildings is tied to the coordinates of the block on the map.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Hell yes, those clouds are gorgeous

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Clouds look really cool! Flying up thru some cumulus (I think that's what they were) and when I emerged above them it really felt like I was in some huge billowing cloud formations, I felt much smaller in comparison. I think it will really add to dogfights as some of these clouds can be huge and you could easily get lost in them.

You can see rainfall in the distance as well now. Overall very impressed, it really adds to the realism.

Popete fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 9, 2021

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Do they affect the behavior of the AI at all?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I didn't see anything about that in the patch notes so I'm not sure. I didn't test fighting the AI yet to notice.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Wow, looks great! Are you able to fly missions on rainy days, out of curiosity? Or is the rain you see always off-map? Heavy rain could definitely spice up CAS missions and the like, I think.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Gewehr 43 posted:

Do they affect the behavior of the AI at all?

Growling Sidewinder took a Bf109-G6 out for a spin and it does look like an AI plane ducked into clouds to evade. The AI might not have been trying to, but a human pilot would have done the same thing and gotten the same benefit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fek4FAOb5bI

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Major Isoor posted:

Wow, looks great! Are you able to fly missions on rainy days, out of curiosity? Or is the rain you see always off-map? Heavy rain could definitely spice up CAS missions and the like, I think.

I haven't tried really heavy precipitation yet but it's pretty cool looking off to the side seeing a patch of a rain and then flying into it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Did a brief auto-generated bomber intercept mission in heavy rain and clouds with turbulence to show off the new update. I added chapters to the video if you just wanna see some highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G89kl7OWRL0

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
El Perkele helpfully redid the OP and I edited it into it.
Thanks.

Also, I always stan this:

Check out the amazing guide in Air Goons wiki on how to learn IL-2.
https://www.airgoons.com/w/IL-2_Beginner_Guide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

Vahakyla posted:

El Perkele helpfully redid the OP and I edited it into it.
Thanks.

Also, I always stan this:

Check out the amazing guide in Air Goons wiki on how to learn IL-2.
https://www.airgoons.com/w/IL-2_Beginner_Guide

there are typos and missing parts but i will maybe edit them in 2024.

dat beginner guide is hella good and solid, read it