Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Honestly the game needs to make high-level houses basically impenetrable and force players away from them more often to collect resources and build power. I haven't played since legacy and built myself a little level 5 house without going more than 5 minutes from my spawn point. I honestly think this is worse than legacy in terms of forcing people out of their comfort zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Bishyaler posted:

Speaking of legacy, I just put up a server for you guys. Feel free to add to OP, someone might want to rebuild Detroit.

net.connect remote.insomniacs.biz:28017

I hopped in for a bit but no one else was on. Was thinking to myself "aside from the sun and moon cycle going the wrong direction, this isn't so bad, why did I stop playing"

Oh. :smith:

What was wrong with zombies, again?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

30.5 Days posted:

Honestly the game needs to make high-level houses basically impenetrable and force players away from them more often to collect resources and build power. I haven't played since legacy and built myself a little level 5 house without going more than 5 minutes from my spawn point. I honestly think this is worse than legacy in terms of forcing people out of their comfort zone.

well unless you build an airlock and a key-proof house, leaving your house is an outrageous risk

its not like either of them have any depth in that regard. you build until you are happy with your buildings and then your only option is to grief people or quit the game. thats basically all of rust - get powerful faster than that guy and make him sad

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Verviticus posted:

well unless you build an airlock and a key-proof house, leaving your house is an outrageous risk

its not like either of them have any depth in that regard. you build until you are happy with your buildings and then your only option is to grief people or quit the game. thats basically all of rust - get powerful faster than that guy and make him sad

Or you could just suicide on your front porch to get back in like everyone does.

And at least in legacy there was like this 2 hour period in the middle where you had to leave your neighborhood for a C4 blueprint. This is just step 3 feet outside get all the wood you need for a few hours, occasionally head down the block for some metal and sulfur.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
in legacy there wasnt any chance of getting killed and now a key to your house exists in the wild

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Verviticus posted:

in legacy there wasnt any chance of getting killed and now a key to your house exists in the wild

I died a lot in legacy, maybe I'm just bad? I mean I died a lot more trying to get where I am now in expi and I haven't even seen anyone yet because I've been in my house for most of it.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Getting into someone's house shouldn't be easy, but leaving something on your mouse for an hour isn't really rewarding either.

An expensive object at least requires an expense of resources. It wouldn't be worth it to waste a bomb to steal some guy's meat supply, but it might be for some advanced weapons.

I'm looking forward to traps so you can leave that one wall a little weaker, but have it lead into a murdermaze instead of your actual house.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Server appears to have poo poo the bed right in the middle of me upgrading my base! :argh:

edit: Its back but everything is gone

Hipster Occultist fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Oct 21, 2014

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...

Hipster Occultist posted:

Server appears to have poo poo the bed right in the middle of me upgrading my base! :argh:

Which server? Rusty goons?

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Hipster Occultist posted:

There was a client and server update last night. I logged into my server and my sleeper wasn't gone, but he wasn't carrying anything and he was sleeping in the bottom of a lake. So Garry changed something with the mapping.

I'm tempted to play on my Legacy server for a few weeks until the experimental is more stable.

Bishyaler fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 21, 2014

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Yeah there's a lot of lakes that have ghost water or something. Last patch seems to have set all the animals into rear end in a top hat more or something. I got mauled 3 times just trying to get an axe made.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Dr_Amazing posted:

Yeah there's a lot of lakes that have ghost water or something. Last patch seems to have set all the animals into rear end in a top hat more or something. I got mauled 3 times just trying to get an axe made.

Let me know if you see map corruption on my server. I've had to keep a pretty close eye on it since lately there are two server version changes a day.

vivaslacking
Jul 19, 2004

Rusty Goons seems like it's in good shape, but yeah, the animals (especially the wolves) are definitely in hunting mode after the AI tweaks. Glad to see the mega-forests gone with the setup I've got running now, hopefully they do something about fixing the in-game graphics options as neither the F2 menu or the command line are working for me.

I also ran into an issue with the latest client update (around 10:30am this morning) where I can't alt-tab out and back in again without the game crashing, so if anyone else is seeing that just swap into windowed mode if you need to pretend you're working for a second while you're out getting your revenge on those little lupine fuckers.

TheDarkAvenger
Mar 10, 2005

All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

vivaslacking posted:

Rusty Goons seems like it's in good shape, but yeah, the animals (especially the wolves) are definitely in hunting mode after the AI tweaks. Glad to see the mega-forests gone with the setup I've got running now, hopefully they do something about fixing the in-game graphics options as neither the F2 menu or the command line are working for me.

I also ran into an issue with the latest client update (around 10:30am this morning) where I can't alt-tab out and back in again without the game crashing, so if anyone else is seeing that just swap into windowed mode if you need to pretend you're working for a second while you're out getting your revenge on those little lupine fuckers.

There is something about this game that makes it to where I will just keep coming back even if it is a buggy wipe fest.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

TheDarkAvenger posted:

There is something about this game that makes it to where I will just keep coming back even if it is a buggy wipe fest.

I am right there with you. The odd thing is I haven't touched the Rusty Goons server in the past 2 days so it's wiping and such on its own which isn't good.

Hopefully tomorrow I can try and figure out why it's flat out wiping instead of attempting to load the save or seed.

vivaslacking
Jul 19, 2004

Kizurue posted:

I am right there with you. The odd thing is I haven't touched the Rusty Goons server in the past 2 days so it's wiping and such on its own which isn't good.

Hopefully tomorrow I can try and figure out why it's flat out wiping instead of attempting to load the save or seed.

I believe the latest server-side update required a wipe so that might have had something to do with it; it looks like it's using the same seed as before so I'd chalk it up to either 1) the host deleted everything when they removed Pluton, or 2) implementation of the mega-forest update.

I wouldn't put it past them to have pushed the update on their own and performed the wipe given the amount of memory being used before it occurred.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Kizurue posted:

Some of these updates are changing how the mapping works, and you see some really odd effects if you don't wipe. At least I certainly did my server. I don't think keeping user content for more than a few days is possible at this stage of development.

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
Tried a few hours of this the other night. Starting to feel like Rust again, but a few big problems:

1) Are giant forests here to stay? Infinite wood seems kind of dumb, but maybe making other resources rarer will make up for it
2) Even with the video settings turned away, way down, everything is very laggy and jerky
3) Some of the sounds are terrible
4) Stabbing people with spears, and being stabbed with spears is pretty fun - I wish you could throw it though.
5) They hosed up doors in the worse way

thanks for reading my thoughts on Naked Dongs Online.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

TasmanianX posted:

Tried a few hours of this the other night. Starting to feel like Rust again, but a few big problems:

1) Are giant forests here to stay? Infinite wood seems kind of dumb, but maybe making other resources rarer will make up for it
2) Even with the video settings turned away, way down, everything is very laggy and jerky
3) Some of the sounds are terrible
4) Stabbing people with spears, and being stabbed with spears is pretty fun - I wish you could throw it though.
5) They hosed up doors in the worse way

thanks for reading my thoughts on Naked Dongs Online.

1) Forests are kind of hosed because of a bug that they are fixing. Resource drops from all resource nodes will be balanced later, they want players to be able to quickly gather resources so that they can get to other components of the game faster in order to test them. So hopefully this will be sorted soonish.
3) Yeah, they are, most are currently placeholders, the footstep sounds are something they just implemented and Garry says the current placeholders are horrible. :v:
4) You will be able to throw them in the future. Yaaaaaaaaaaay.

Out of curiosity, what don't you like about doors?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

30.5 Days posted:

I died a lot in legacy, maybe I'm just bad? I mean I died a lot more trying to get where I am now in expi and I haven't even seen anyone yet because I've been in my house for most of it.

the penalty wasn't "now somebody else owns your house"

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Verviticus posted:

the penalty wasn't "now somebody else owns your house"

Well this sense of theoretical danger that can also be entirely erased with certain house designs definitely beats a sense of actual real danger.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

ya the danger of losing a shotgun, a hatchet and maybe some cloth armor ooooooooooo

i wanna go to small rad town but im not sure if i can handle the stress of losing my 5 rad pills and a medpack

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I think it will probably change when weight limits are better balanced. Right now you can step out and grab 10,000 wood,rock and metal then go home. Multiple trips will get people out if the house more.

Plus the guy that breaks in can't completely clean you out in one go either.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

So with the update that came out the Bone Knife is officially useless. It has 0 gather ability and it's damage is less than the hammer... Which was also nerfed to where it gathers less and takes twice as long to swing. So apparently when upgrading buildings the Salvaged Hammer is better for lvl 4 and above. The Go-To tool for gathering it would seem is now the Pickaxe.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Kizurue posted:

So with the update that came out the Bone Knife is officially useless. It has 0 gather ability and it's damage is less than the hammer... Which was also nerfed to where it gathers less and takes twice as long to swing. So apparently when upgrading buildings the Salvaged Hammer is better for lvl 4 and above. The Go-To tool for gathering it would seem is now the Pickaxe.

Maybe some other utility will be added for the bone knife. Backstabbing? Skinning? Can opener?

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
I like that there's an actual purpose for the pickaxe now.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

ravenkult posted:

Are all the ol' racists back in the mumble? Just wouldn't be the same without them.

does anyone remember when i agro quit the game forever because of this

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It would make sense to have an axe for wood, a pick for mining, and the knife for animals.

I died while logged out and lost everything I was carrying. But I was safely locked in my house and everything else was in place. What gives?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

does anyone still play the legacy one?

lmfao the new one runs at 15fps with everything off and the window resized down to about 500 x 400

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

PleasureKevin posted:

does anyone remember when i agro quit the game forever because of this

I was in the mumble when it happened. I forget what the totally hilarious racism was even about. You sounded so sad about it too :smith:

edit: unless that was someone else, they really sounded bummed out over it

PleasureKevin posted:

lmfao the new one runs at 15fps with everything off and the window resized down to about 500 x 400

Not really. Also the insanely overgrown forest bug (is it still a thing? it's hard to keep up) really does a number on computers. Is your draw distance maxed out? you can see insanely far in experimental compared to legacy.

Dr_Amazing posted:

It would make sense to have an axe for wood, a pick for mining, and the knife for animals.

I died while logged out and lost everything I was carrying. But I was safely locked in my house and everything else was in place. What gives?

They'll probably fix it to that somewhere down the line. Right now they're trying to iron out a lot of broken code and memory leaks. As for dying, maybe your foot was sticking through a wall or you were visible through a window and someone shot you?

Minarchist fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 23, 2014

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

Dr_Amazing posted:

It's entirely possible that someone broke down one of your walls, stole all your poo poo, then repaired the wall. Also, don't forget to upgrade your foundations.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

PleasureKevin posted:

on your hunk of poo poo ancient computer?

I play everything maxed out on a two year old gaming rig and it's smooth. Apparently if the server has ridiculous structures everywhere that lags it too

edit: anyone know a way to pass console commands at launch? So I could create a shortcut to connect to a specific server? Or do I have to launch the game and paste into console the command?

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 23, 2014

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Or what is the name of the server we are connecting too so I can just add it to my favorites.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Dr_Amazing posted:

Or what is the name of the server we are connecting too so I can just add it to my favorites.

It's in the OP, Rusty Goons or Bishyaler's server. Favorite servers or any bookmarking is broken in the experimental game so far.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

Minarchist posted:

Not really. Also the insanely overgrown forest bug (is it still a thing? it's hard to keep up) really does a number on computers. Is your draw distance maxed out? you can see insanely far in experimental compared to legacy.

Forests have been fixed so no more of those monstrosities. Easiest way to keep up with the changes is reading http://www.rustafied.com/ once a day. They do a great job posting all changes as they happen as well as awesome guides for all the tools, weapons, armor, and buildings.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Minarchist posted:

It's in the OP, Rusty Goons or Bishyaler's server. Favorite servers or any bookmarking is broken in the experimental game so far.

I'm using a placeholder name of "Free Beer and Rocks" for my experimental and legacy servers. If someone has a better comedy option, I'm all ears.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
Which one of you jerks is running about slapping level 6 walls in front of people's doorways? :v:

Did a bit of experimentation and couldn't find any way to prevent placement of walls directly in front of doors, walls seem to have their own rules when it comes to valid placement

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

Inge posted:

Which one of you jerks is running about slapping level 6 walls in front of people's doorways? :v:

Did a bit of experimentation and couldn't find any way to prevent placement of walls directly in front of doors, walls seem to have their own rules when it comes to valid placement

This is the whole reason I was trying the Pluton mod. There was a administration removal tool, coordinates, and it tills you when people join or leave. To get it to work I may have to migrate to a different host though.

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em

Enzer posted:

Out of curiosity, what don't you like about doors?

I hate that the key isn't bound to you, but only because there isn't an option to build a better lock yet.

If you lose a key you are screwed, and it seems like dead bodies despawn faster and don't leave a pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.
I find the trick is to make buildings without entrances, then you don't have to worry about keys or locks.

• Locked thread