Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Server is updated, enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Sign images are now in the game as well. Look at a sign and type "/sil <image URL>" in chat to load the image onto a sign.

Please don't do anything too disgusting :)

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Shadowgate posted:

Sign images are now in the game as well. Look at a sign and type "/sil <image URL>" in chat to load the image onto a sign.

Please don't do anything too disgusting :)

this shouldnt have to be said but no gore for fucks sake

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Does the inside of a man's anus count as gore?

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Whoever is over the Art Gallery needs to purge that place so we can do some REAL art now. Might be easier to just rebuild the place tbh, no one ever goes over there anyways.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I can't wait for pumps/power. The base meta is finally going to change.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010

Dr. Atticus posted:

Whoever is over the Art Gallery needs to purge that place so we can do some REAL art now. Might be easier to just rebuild the place tbh, no one ever goes over there anyways.

Thanks to some charming individuals, the former Art Gallery is now an Art State, where only accepted forms of expression are allowed and death is likely.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
what's the optimal setup for cooking meat and smelting ore? ive been doing wood + all raw so the cooked immediately pops out without burning but that leaves a limited time frame to collect

as for furnaces, ive been setting it up so charcoal does the same thing and fucks off because gently caress charcoal forever

edit: did they add melee recoil this patch? funny solution to people that tape down their mouse and go afk

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 15, 2015

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I send you this file in order to have your advice!

Verviticus posted:

what's the optimal setup for cooking meat and smelting ore? ive been doing wood + all raw so the cooked immediately pops out without burning but that leaves a limited time frame to collect

as for furnaces, ive been setting it up so charcoal does the same thing and fucks off because gently caress charcoal forever

edit: did they add melee recoil this patch? funny solution to people that tape down their mouse and go afk

I always do 1 stack wood + 4 stacks of ore, and put 1 cooked metal frag or sulfur in the 5th slot, so that all charcoal pops out. If you need charcoal for gunpowder, just do 3 stacks of ore. Typically i'll have multiple furnaces, some saving charcoal, most not.

For food in a fire, i do 1 stack wood, 3 stacks food, 1 stack charcoal, so the food pops out only because food will burn if left in the fire and this doesnt require me to stare at it the entire time. Using this setup, the food will pop out, sit on top of the fire for a few minutes, allowing you to collect it. It usually works out if you keep your fire by your furnaces/loot so you can let it cook your food while you're standing there managing resources.

ratios are as follows as far as i know:
- food cooks with 5(?) wood
- metal ore is 5 wood per ore. so if you do 1000 wood, 200 metal, 200 metal, 200 metal, 200 metal, 1 cooked metal frag, you will end up with 801 metal frags when done
- i think sulfur is 2-3 wood per ore, so don't use 1000 wood unless you want to waste sulfur

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 15, 2015

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Oooooo I know exactly the image to use everywhere. gently caress building a base (a tiny base with nothing in, as whoever keeps blowing up my wall will know), it's all about large signs from now on.

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

Kimsemus posted:

I can't wait for pumps/power. The base meta is finally going to change.

INDUSTRY NEVER SLEEPS!

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

DEMAG posted:

INDUSTRY NEVER SLEEPS!

Speaking of which, did anyone finalize a banner ad for Kimsemus?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Bishyaler posted:

Speaking of which, did anyone finalize a banner ad for Kimsemus?

Not yet -- make it and I'll post it today/tonight. I'm awful with the picture making.

//edit I think Tay Tay did this one, and it is the current top contender:

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 15, 2015

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Use this one instead, it actually repeats. Not sure why the first one I linked didnt.

http://i.imgur.com/YoHyyog.gif

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Dr. Atticus posted:

Use this one instead, it actually repeats. Not sure why the first one I linked didn't.

http://i.imgur.com/YoHyyog.gif

Okay, I bought 3 slots, so that should give us some exposure.

Also could we have the server info highlighted in the OP more prominently? We have 250 slots now so we can make this a mecca for goons if they want to play here.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I tried playing on the Seattle server yesterday. That was really, really fun. I never managed to survive more than 10 minutes or so, but I did attract a few naked guys to a fire at night and ambushed them for their sweet, sweet rocks. Also one of them had a shirt.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Finally fixed my chat issue thanks to facepunch support. For some reason I had duplicate registry entries and deleting them reset my keybinds and allowed me to send chat.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

The fires of industry burn once more in Detroit.

Also do we have a PGS thread yet?

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I need to defect from the North. My brethren have deserted me.

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Kimsemus posted:

Also do we have a PGS thread yet?

Paging Bish or Shadow to make a thread

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Has anyone else been having trouble since the update with framerate? I have everything turned off and set to minimum and I'm getting 12FPS.

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

How often does the goon server wipe, if ever? I spent a few hours on a server that wiped 1 day ago and spent time running around and getting into all sorts of fights with people, it was pretty fun and crazy. Don't get me wrong, I'm sticking with Goon island as a main server, and I know we're promoting with ads that someone paid for, which is much appreciated, but I think we'd see a much larger shift of population onto the server with a fresh wipe and have the wipe date put in the server name, to attract people.

I'm not some naked in a 1x1 base in the woods, I have a very nice base, almost all the BPs I want, guns, ect, ect, but it just gets... boring when there's no real challenge. I've been raided before as well, but I'd like to actually see people running around to and fro.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Bacons posted:

How often does the goon server wipe, if ever? I spent a few hours on a server that wiped 1 day ago and spent time running around and getting into all sorts of fights with people, it was pretty fun and crazy. Don't get me wrong, I'm sticking with Goon island as a main server, and I know we're promoting with ads that someone paid for, which is much appreciated, but I think we'd see a much larger shift of population onto the server with a fresh wipe and have the wipe date put in the server name, to attract people.

I'm not some naked in a 1x1 base in the woods, I have a very nice base, almost all the BPs I want, guns, ect, ect, but it just gets... boring when there's no real challenge. I've been raided before as well, but I'd like to actually see people running around to and fro.

I imagine when population goes up to a reasonable degree, we can wipe. Right now we peak at 25ish, when we're hitting 50-75ish then a wipe will be appropriate I feel like.

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

Kimsemus posted:

I imagine when population goes up to a reasonable degree, we can wipe. Right now we peak at 25ish, when we're hitting 50-75ish then a wipe will be appropriate I feel like.

I'm personally not sure ads are going to do a whole lot to get people playing, I've been on the forums so long that even noticing ads are something very rare for me, I typically just go straight for whatever thread/forum I'm looking for. The previous server I played on had about 10-20 people before they started putting the wipe date in the server name, and afterwards is ranging from 20-30 during slower times, and 50/60 on peak hours on the weekends.

The problem with waiting for the server and then hitting the reset button is upsetting and possibly losing some of the people you just gained because they have to restart over a 2nd time on that server alone. We goons will always have the advantage of having this thread to communicate and set up events, raids, ect, plus goons can easily poopsock and roll out with c4 bp and guns within the first day.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Bacons posted:

I'm personally not sure ads are going to do a whole lot to get people playing, I've been on the forums so long that even noticing ads are something very rare for me, I typically just go straight for whatever thread/forum I'm looking for. The previous server I played on had about 10-20 people before they started putting the wipe date in the server name, and afterwards is ranging from 20-30 during slower times, and 50/60 on peak hours on the weekends.

The problem with waiting for the server and then hitting the reset button is upsetting and possibly losing some of the people you just gained because they have to restart over a 2nd time on that server alone. We goons will always have the advantage of having this thread to communicate and set up events, raids, ect, plus goons can easily poopsock and roll out with c4 bp and guns within the first day.

What you're saying definitely makes sense. Garry is about to push an update that is changing the maps and adding a higher tier radtown and a few other devices -- we can do a wipe then, would make sense.

Maybe Bish or others can shed some light on as to how we can get more exposure.

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

Kimsemus posted:

What you're saying definitely makes sense. Garry is about to push an update that is changing the maps and adding a higher tier radtown and a few other devices -- we can do a wipe then, would make sense.

Maybe Bish or others can shed some light on as to how we can get more exposure.

Honestly I'm very much into the Rust youtube videos, and right now there's maybe 2 or 3 people actively making English videos, where there's tons of Russian/German/Spanish videos out there being produced. There's a guy named Phaedo that started making videos about a server he plays on, and it's actively been getting people to flock to his server.

The point I'm trying to get to is basically if someone had a small group or clan like they run with, say, Detroit goons, I'm sure there's tons of interesting or funny things that a group like that could make a few videos of, and promote from within. In terms of promoting through other sites like Reddit, I'd think we could pull a few single digit people, but the rust forum is sort of slow there as well. Basically the problem with Rust, and this may stem extremely from it being in alpha, is that it's has sort of a word of mouth vibe, I personally got into the game because of a few Youtubers, so we're not exactly dealing with a very deep well to draw from.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
If I could make a suggestion, when we wipe, maybe do a 3k map size instead of 4k. I feel like this map is way too big for the population but 3k would be just right. That way we're forced to be near each other more and thus more fun gunfights and poo poo.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Just got back into it tonight and hell this is a lot better than legacy ever was.

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
indeed

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Bacons posted:

Honestly I'm very much into the Rust youtube videos, and right now there's maybe 2 or 3 people actively making English videos, where there's tons of Russian/German/Spanish videos out there being produced. There's a guy named Phaedo that started making videos about a server he plays on, and it's actively been getting people to flock to his server.

The point I'm trying to get to is basically if someone had a small group or clan like they run with, say, Detroit goons, I'm sure there's tons of interesting or funny things that a group like that could make a few videos of, and promote from within. In terms of promoting through other sites like Reddit, I'd think we could pull a few single digit people, but the rust forum is sort of slow there as well. Basically the problem with Rust, and this may stem extremely from it being in alpha, is that it's has sort of a word of mouth vibe, I personally got into the game because of a few Youtubers, so we're not exactly dealing with a very deep well to draw from.

The ads should help, but more exposure never hurt. We should organize a night of Thunderdome battles and plop it on Youtube. Tell your (thick skinned) friends that there is a $20 game where you get new ways to kill naked men every Thursday.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
The problem is the competition from h1z1.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Spookydonut posted:

The problem is the competition from h1z1.

On the banners, yes.

But when people actually play H1Z1 and see how awful it is, shouldn't be an issue.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
Kizurue, would you like me to shamelessly steal your OP for the private server thread, or would you like to create the thread yourself? I don't want to overstep since I feel you did a nice job of getting us together so far!

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...

Bishyaler posted:

Kizurue, would you like me to shamelessly steal your OP for the private server thread, or would you like to create the thread yourself? I don't want to overstep since I feel you did a nice job of getting us together so far!

Feel free to do whatever you want, you can use it or create one, neither of which will bug me in the least.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Kizurue posted:

Feel free to do whatever you want, you can use it or create one, neither of which will bug me in the least.

Thanks! Its up.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3720561

Cal Worthington
Oct 8, 2013

Serious business.
After an accident happened at Worthington Ford, I was looking for new clans to sponsor! I needed people to sell my cars! Luckily, the WuTang Clan were happy to help us out so I went over to talk business.

I was looking around at our new satellite HQ and I saw this ugly picture on the wall.

Ah, much better!!

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

VeggieSmuggler posted:

After an accident happened at Worthington Ford, I was looking for new clans to sponsor! I needed people to sell my cars! Luckily, the WuTang Clan were happy to help us out so I went over to talk business.

I was looking around at our new satellite HQ and I saw this ugly picture on the wall.

Ah, much better!!

Shortly thereafter, there seemed to be another "accident" at Worthington's new dealership!

-but earlier-

Angry over market encroachment and aggressive expansion, GM workers took to the offensive and caused an "accident" at Worthington Ford Hoth.

GM set hard to work, determined to not be overtaken as the industry giants in the land!

After sneaking through the outer wall, the GM mob found what was likely the main base structure.

In we go!

Cal showed up and began taking shots, but was dispatched with a deadly rocket shot from Rej:

Once through the first wall, the GM workers found that Ford's master tool cabinet was right on the other side of the wall, and quickly authorized! Brilliant Ford engineering hard at work!

Remember this? GM sure does!

After the raid, Cal took over Wu-Tang's base, but with all the C4 GM didn't have to expend, the workers made quick work of it:

Another fine product, courtesy of General Motors.

Photos courtesy of Rejdukien and Shaka.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 17, 2015

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...
Welp, now multiple people have the Supply Drop BP so yeah. Dunno how much I am gonna play till they fix it and wipe the BPs because the amount of rockets and C4 people are going to get now will just be stupid.

vivaslacking
Jul 19, 2004

Kizurue posted:

Welp, now multiple people have the Supply Drop BP so yeah. Dunno how much I am gonna play till they fix it and wipe the BPs because the amount of rockets and C4 people are going to get now will just be stupid.

Agreed, goon server's a little out of control at this point between admins in clans and unlimited supply drops. Back to playing with pubbies I guess. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
if it's running on Oxide can't the blueprint drops be managed? I pretty clearly remember this being doable in Legacy

also to whoever raided me and took everything except my hunting bow, why didn't you just kill me?

• Locked thread