Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

it also only applies to top lieges and im pretty sure the problem is vassals going insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
right now it’s way easier to go ham as a vassal then ck2 it seems. Just change your contract to allow for war and pay your ruler a little bit more money for the tradeoff

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I’m just had my first experience of the war ai being absolute dogshit.

Lotharangia declares on France (my liege) for one of my counties so I offered to join to protect myself because France was up in Norway helping some dumbass count fight for a worthless piece of crap county. I won some decisive battles to protect the war goal and my capital using mercs, expecting France to come in and join me but they beelined straight for Lotharangia’s capital, sieged it and then just sat there for a year until my entire army, capital and war goal had their poo poo pushed in and then finally came over to get their rear end kicked too until the war goal was -97%. We regrouped and are gonna win, but my whole family has been kidnapped and I went from 1000 gold to debt in a war we initially had almost double the troops.

There absolutely needs to be a way to direct ai armies in war or have them chain to you. I can’t remember how eu4 does it but I remember being able to order certain provinces as priority. That would be good.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

After playing around a bit more, I've realised that if you are the war leader. then the AI will always try to join your battles and protect your capital. Crusades are a clusterfuck because of this. Even if you have a numerical advantage, sometimes the AI muslim doomstack will just roll through all of the smaller stacks and noone will help each other.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

One of the dev diaries said they didn’t incorporate any way to direct AI allies because they hoped the AI would be good enough without any player direction, which is just, lmao

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I can kind of see what they’re going for, but when the ai is in multiple wars they just seem like they’re confused. They definitely behave ok if the player is the war leader though.
I know now not to ever expect them to help me in battle if they’re the war leader because they will absolutely walk straight passed you getting your rear end kicked to siege the barony of bumfuck.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BBJoey posted:

One of the dev diaries said they didn’t incorporate any way to direct AI allies because they hoped the AI would be good enough without any player direction, which is just, lmao

that's pretty ambitious

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

At least when your opponent is in multiple wars you can take advantage of them waffling their death stack around between counties. I've learned that all it takes is one force maybe half the size of theirs to just enter one county over from a siege and they'll abandon it to flee as if I'm about to start a battle lol. Pretty cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My Kabarite (organized Judaic faith) neighbor somehow entered a alliance w/ Christian Orthodox Bulgaria, overcoming a -1000 marriage proposal modifier somehow. Must have been one hell of a hook.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

In Training posted:

My Kabarite (organized Judaic faith) neighbor somehow entered a alliance w/ Christian Orthodox Bulgaria, overcoming a -1000 marriage proposal modifier somehow. Must have been one hell of a hook.

Moral of the Story: COURT PHYSICIAN... is a LANDED NOBLE! with a 'STRONG HOOK'

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

There seem to be a lot of good unique decisions for every region, and room for more to be added down the road. I just finished doing the achievement for being the last independent karling, starting as Herbert of Vermandois and when I made it to emperor, there was a decision to restore Charlemagne's borders. I was gonna give up this run after the chieve, but now I might keep going and see if I can smash my way through the HRE.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

BBJoey posted:

lmao indeed

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I really hope they don't bring back inventory and societies in any form resembling CK2's versions

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

um, are you forgetting how epic win the satanist were in ck2??

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

I really hope they don't bring back inventory and societies in any form resembling CK2's versions

This.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

BBJoey posted:

I can see what they're going for, being just medium okay at strategy allows you to run circles around the ai, letting you direct allies means youre playing chess with extra pieces on your side. It's really frustrating watching the ai do gently caress all though, maybe that's true to life

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
1066 Steiermark as Duke Ottokar is so good. He’s a high martial bisexual which actually translates so well to an intrigue focus. Get your high-learning chaplain to forge a claim on the entire duchy of Austria, meanwhile start plotting to kill your wife’s relatives to the west of you in Carinthia to get counties like Kammersberg without raising a single levy. And watch your liege Heinrich IV turn super obese for some reason.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

1066 Steiermark as Duke Ottokar is so good. He’s a high martial bisexual which actually translates so well to an intrigue focus. Get your high-learning chaplain to forge a claim on the entire duchy of Austria, meanwhile start plotting to kill your wife’s relatives to the west of you in Carinthia to get counties like Kammersberg without raising a single levy. And watch your liege Heinrich IV turn super obese for some reason.

Thanks for the tip, Jedi Knight Luigi.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

was playing cathar and wondering why there were no matrilineal marriages in the realm (i kept seeing You will lose land on vassal death warning). well apparently despite them showing off the religion system with gender preferences and so on.. the AI, even as Equal or even Female Dominated, will never make matrilineal marriages. berry cool

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

GorfZaplen posted:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I also really like the UI improvements over ck2. If a neighbor ally calls me to war and I have more than one rally point then I’ll just raise levies locally from the area closest to the ally. And getting those allies automatically after marriage instead of having to right-click on the portrait again. Just feels so much smoother in so many ways. I only wish I could figure out what level my dread is more easily, and whether I have a court physician.

GorfZaplen posted:

Yw. Let me know how it goes loving men. And if you manage to play a game as duke ottokar, let me know how that goes too :mrgw:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's more UI coming in the first patch too, can't wait to see what kind of soothing squares and rectangles get added to the mix.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2221876208&searchtext=

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

No.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

This game needs a patch badly. Its real good when youre just figuring everything out, but the thought of starting a new game and having to deal with all of the things I hate, like fervor being stupid and making crusader kings convert to islam instantly and heresies exploding everywhere, vikings making bordergore even in 1066, AI never building or doing matri marriages for female rulers and destroying their dynasty instantly. All the RPG stuff is fun and good, but...

strong bird
May 12, 2009

yeah. i keep playing because im cripplingly bored but it made me give up the game i was enjoying the most. im just trying out different starts in different areas to see where i actually want to play once they fix all the insanely obvious broken mechanics

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The ally ai is adept at loving you over.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

One thing I really like and I hope they expand is the new formable kingdoms like the Danelaw etc. I want them to make formables for every culture. The decisions so far are real good and similar to the stuff I liked about eu4. Things like restore the carolingian borders or unite the thrones of Iberia are cool things to aim for.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

This game needs a patch badly. Its real good when youre just figuring everything out, but the thought of starting a new game and having to deal with all of the things I hate, like fervor being stupid and making crusader kings convert to islam instantly and heresies exploding everywhere, vikings making bordergore even in 1066, AI never building or doing matri marriages for female rulers and destroying their dynasty instantly. All the RPG stuff is fun and good, but...

1 thing that pissed me off is when I made a cadet branch and only my ruler joined it, not even my kids. Also I like the new religious stuff but fervor is stupid and I dont like the culture mechanic instead of realm tech, because it takes way longer than tech did. Playing a tribal is intolerable.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also iron man always has to be toggled off and local saves always has to be toggled on. Just remember my preference you jerks.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

you can and should disable cloud functionality in the games properties on steam, last thing in the Updates menu

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have it on game pass because I learned my lesson with stellaris and hoi4.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Just loling that this game still doesn’t have a patch and let alone any kind of announcement from the devs.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Paradox strikes again

strong bird
May 12, 2009

wheres the patch johan

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
you cant patch perfection

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Just loling that this game still doesn’t have a patch and let alone any kind of announcement from the devs.

They're pulling the same poo poo with EU4 too it's loving ridiculous

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
im never looking at a map again

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Urgh, it's pretty annoying for me - I don't mind about the patch so much, but the moment my shoddy government let Paradox release CK3 here, work picks up. I've been working all day until around midnight a lot, the last few weeks. I think I've played like, 3-4hrs of CK3. :( How is it, you guys? It looked good from my limited experience with a week or so ago, but obviously I haven't even scratched the surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

Urgh, it's pretty annoying for me - I don't mind about the patch so much, but the moment my shoddy government let Paradox release CK3 here, work picks up. I've been working all day until around midnight a lot, the last few weeks. I think I've played like, 3-4hrs of CK3. :( How is it, you guys? It looked good from my limited experience with a week or so ago, but obviously I haven't even scratched the surface.

It's quite fun. I haven't played since the first 2weeks, but I put 40 hours in until the bugs and balance issues made it impossible for me to play anymore. I wanna enjoy it without thinking about how much I want things patched so if you can get past all that you will have a blast.