Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Wormskull posted:

Is it scythians or something.

theodoro i think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DICKHEAD posted:

i really like the ottoman position on the map but theyre too easy to play as. maybe i should finally do a byzantium game

Yeah. So far this is easier than Castile, Brandenburg, maybe even Russia due to naval power.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Yolomancer posted:

Cool. I'll give it a shot. I just finished eating most of Bosnia, Serbia, Wallachia and Moldavia, but I didn't full annex them because I didn't want the AE and I don't really understand the best way to vassal feed.

There's a diplo point trade off with vassalising now if you want to annex. I didn't think much of it until I tried to annex portugal for like 800 monarch points or something ridiculous.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Yolomancer posted:

Cool. I'll give it a shot. I just finished eating most of Bosnia, Serbia, Wallachia and Moldavia, but I didn't full annex them because I didn't want the AE and I don't really understand the best way to vassal feed.

it's probably cheaper point wise to diplo-annex them than core them and you'll need admin points to core mamluk lands. then again it all depends on what points you need or ideas i guess. ottomans are unstoppable if you take humanism if you dont know. with your national ideas you'll end up with everyone as accepted culture except like tuareg.

also you'll benefit from the current bug where you constantly get Religious Disunity triggering and then ending for free stability

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I ain;lt played eu4 in so long there's so much poo poo changed, mostly for the better .The AI is still really dumb when it comes to making peace tho. I see them absolutely smash their opponent and then let war exhaustion and lonas rack up before they peace out for 1 province.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

There's a diplo point trade off with vassalising now if you want to annex. I didn't think much of it until I tried to annex portugal for like 800 monarch points or something ridiculous.

without core cost ideas i think it's slightly cheaper per tax base unless you have a claim on every province

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

oh here's a tip for mamluk killing. if you have the mission that gives you claims on all of mamluk provinces do not force them to release anything because it causes the mission to fail

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Charlemagne will be the time I finally boot up a mapgame again, at least thats what im telling myself.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ragg posted:

Charlemagne will be the time I finally boot up a mapgame again, at least thats what im telling myself.

It is going to be filled to the brim with bugs.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Good point, I'll be waiting a couple patches.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Paradox needs to sort their poo poo out wrt to breaking their games with every patch.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I'll play it anyway because I'm stupid as hell

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DICKHEAD posted:

oh here's a tip for mamluk killing. if you have the mission that gives you claims on all of mamluk provinces do not force them to release anything because it causes the mission to fail

Cheers. The war is going well, albeit with severely depleted manpower. I didn't know about Humanism, so thanks for that. I went Offensive first because I'm a filthy warmonger.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

At least I know enough about getting around the console to fix most crap. Or mod it like i had to do with the Rajas mega-revolt stuff

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DICKHEAD posted:

I'll play it anyway because I'm stupid as hell

poo poo, same here/.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

What's a good game to do in EU4 after I get this 5 colonies chieve.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

you get a mission to conquer cyprus iirc. i'd probably grab it anyway though since it won't be much AE. at least with no one that matters (no neighbors and french culture)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

westernized iroquouis

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

i did a venice game where i carved through egypt to india. if you have res publica you put a trade post in every trade center province and then in india you grab all the trade provinces and protectorate everyone else and you get insane income because trade power of republics increases goods produced so all you have to do is be strong in an area and your protectorates will generate bonus goods

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

westernized iroquouis

I already did the Cherokee one, and it bored me to tears so much that even new mechanics can't persuade me to play natives ever again.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

DICKHEAD posted:

i did a venice game where i carved through egypt to india. if you have res publica you put a trade post in every trade center province and then in india you grab all the trade provinces and protectorate everyone else and you get insane income because trade power of republics increases goods produced so all you have to do is be strong in an area and your protectorates will generate bonus goods

did the same with hansa -> germany

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DICKHEAD posted:

Hmm.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

trade companies do the same but i dont think it stacks with the merchant republic good bonus?. you would still want to make trade companies for bonus merchants

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

DICKHEAD posted:

trade companies do the same but i dont think it stacks with the merchant republic good bonus?. you would still want to make trade companies for bonus merchants

i remember controlling 60% of hangzhou trade with just macau and another province lol

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

did the same with hansa -> germany

too bad you cant take trade strength from vassals otherwise it would be cool to do that as hansa except you collect in amsterdam while surrounded by a vassal dutch guy producing extra goods in one of the biggest good production areas

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

forming malaya was one of my favorite games but that was ages ago so i dont know the best way to do it now. i made my own malaya flag because the default stank
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=181339452

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

How do you build a trade post.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I might try and do Luck of the Irish.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

How do you build a trade post.

it's a res publica thing. you click the province and there's a weird house building. you have to be a merchant republic though (maybe dutch republic as well?). but it's about the equivalent in trade power of a major river iirc? more maybe? i know it isnt as good as a major center of trade but you can put it ON a major center of trade and then build all your trade buildings there and congrats. now you have a single province with more power than every province in southern china combined

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

DICKHEAD posted:

it's a res publica thing. you click the province and there's a weird house building. you have to be a merchant republic though (maybe dutch republic as well?). but it's about the equivalent in trade power of a major river iirc? more maybe? i know it isnt as good as a major center of trade but you can put it ON a major center of trade and then build all your trade buildings there and congrats. now you have a single province with more power than every province in southern china combined

p much this. also it only costs like 50 dip to form a trade post

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

paradox has a bad habit of releasing expansions that are kinda buggy and then by the time they're fixed they've announced the next expansion and i'm all "oh that sounds cool i'll wait for that"

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

paradox has a bad habit of releasing expansions that are kinda buggy and then by the time they're fixed they've announced the next expansion and i'm all "oh that sounds cool i'll wait for that"

Yep. Ck2 has been stable and good for a while now. Eu seems good atm.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i tried playing a zorastrian duke and it was too hard...

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Would you consider the Total War series map games? I mean, it's basically the same concept and the Total War series does have some turds but also some good A+ fun games.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Oh man, I didn't even know about the Charlemagne DLC. Playing some kind of fat, drunkard impaler who's locked himself in his castle sounds like a welcome change from the genius supermen I usually play as.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Buschmaki posted:

Would you consider the Total War series map games? I mean, it's basically the same concept and the Total War series does have some turds but also some good A+ fun games.

I would, since I spend most of my time in the world map just autoskipping battles. It's probably more of an RTS though.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Has anyone done luck of the Irish? I just started as Ulster and Englad is protective of me...dunno whether I should ride that out and stab them in the back after stealing Scotland, or go full retard and try to beat up England with Scotlant.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Has anyone done luck of the Irish? I just started as Ulster and Englad is protective of me...dunno whether I should ride that out and stab them in the back after stealing Scotland, or go full retard and try to beat up England with Scotlant.

probably go full retard i think. if england collapses early with french and scottish help you can win big time

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

zeal posted:

gonna need a new Rome game for that, Scythians ceased to recognizably exist 200ish BCE

I know but I want to be them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

does anyone play hegemony gold? you play it on a huge map and can pause but when you zoom in it isnt a map anymore? anyway i'm about to finally attack athens