Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Sorry to disrupt the Vic2 chat, but are there many active Crusader Kings 2 players here? Yes? No? Since I feel like sharing a short series of events I recently witnessed, as my first and possibly only contribution (of dubious value) to this thread before inevitably being kicked out.

SO, my old character had a court physician that was amazing - he was a mercenary field medic called Ramiro, who was hired just before young King Rodrigo (bastard son of El Cid himself) inherited, and he stayed Rodrigo's regent and guardian throughout his early life - without stealing from the treasury or making any terrible decisions, at that.
After Rodrigo came of age (becoming an 'intricate webweaver' who had fantastic intrigue+martial), they both led the grand Portuguese army in a series of wars throughout Iberia and the Middle East; including single-handedly winning a Crusade for Jerusalem. (Although unfortunately Ramiro lost an eye during the latter, and Rodrigo lost a hand not long after)
After this long series of wars, Ramiro was granted a Duchy in Jerusalem and his newly-founded dynasty/family name and emblem were made in honour of the mercenary band he previously served with; the Catalan company. Rodrigo then died a few years later at the ripe age of 69, with his son Ramiro taking the reins. In appreciation of his many years of service, Ramiro (Rodrigo's son) granted his now-former court physician Ramiro 'the Brute' the Kingdom of Jerusalem, and with it his independence.

...and uh, that last part was in no way to simply avoid having to fight a Jihad over land I didn't really care about. Nosiree! Honest! :D

Has anyone else here had any interesting CK2-related events/'stories' (for lack of better words) happen? I've played the game for hundreds of hours now overall, however the above is a very brief summary over the most interesting character's lifetime I've played through in the game, for a while at least. (Also went on the pursuit of immortality, among many other reasonably standard event chains like discovering that the world is round, etc.)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Sep 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

BBJoey posted:

anyone got a didn't read gif handy

Sure thing, here's one I stoleprepared earlier!

Also, on the topic of CK2, (*ahem* which I conveniently changed it to...) how's multiplayer like? I haven't played it with friends in a little while now (since Horse Lords maybe?), but as I recall it always de-synced, requiring the game to be restarted in order to re-align all players' checksum - even if you're just playing via LAN. Is this still an issue, or has that finally been fixed? (If anyone else actually plays CK2 multiplayer, anyway!)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Commoners posted:

There's this writeup where someone abused the hell out of the game's courtier spawning mechanics to take over the Byzantine empire as horses.

http://imgur.com/a/K1utf

The horses get hats and hair when they become nobles.

Good lord, that's amazing! I don't suppose that exploit (if you can call it that?) is still in the game, is it? Since I've only had the Glitterhoof event fire once, if I recall correctly - and that was actually before they added horses to the game, so the event only fired your existing chancellor and left the slot/seat empty.
...Looks like I might need to take the lunatic route again soon, if you can still do that! :D

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

eu3 complete isn't actually complete, hope this helps

Yeah, EU3 Chronicles is actually the 'complete' version, as I recall. (Not sure if it has all the unit sprite packs or anything, though.

Jerkops posted:

what is with that av, it's freaking me out. birds don't have hands

Oh, it's a Kenku (at least, that's the only name for it I can remember); basically just a horrible bird-man-goblin thing

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

rediscover posted:

I'm gonna get Civ6

Same, although I'm gonna wait until a little after release before getting it, in case it's like what Beyond Earth apparently turned out to be. (Never got BE, but friends who did say it wasn't great)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

rediscover posted:

What's a good map game to start with? I've always wanted to try the genre but it seems so impenetrable

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Crusader Kings 2

This, or perhaps EU4. I think EU4 is a bit easier to get into now, over CK2, although I think the dynasty/semi-RPG mechanics add more variety to the game and keeps things new, even if you replay the same country again later on.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

rediscover posted:

Hmm CK2 is sounding more my stroke. might check it out. thx guys

If/when you do get it, the general rule of thumb is to start off in Ireland, as that's a good location to get the hang of all the basic mechanics without being completely thrown into the deep end (but also not being totally isolated, so that later on when you feel you're ready, you can throw yourself into the deep end and invade France or something)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

rediscover posted:

Dope. Ima chill til then

Yeah, everything in that DLC list seems really expensive (because well...it is!), but if you wait for a sale and just get the major expansions, it's pretty reasonably-priced.
As for expansions, I'd recommend starting with Legacy of Rome, Way of Life, Conclave+Reaper's Due maybe, as well as perhaps Old Gods. (Since the Viking starts are basically the best) After that, just get whatever suits you - want to play as a merchant republic? Get The Republic. Want to play as a Muslim ruler? Get Sword of Islam. etc. etc.

Oh nice, this is the first I've heard of them updating it! It'll be good to finally be able to convert another CK2 save, after the years the converter has been broken for. (Still can't believe that they never fixed it though - pretty sure it only worked for EU4 v1.0 and that month's version of CK2, before breaking like, weeks later or something haha

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

In Training posted:

I really wanna start a EU file but I have to practice restraint beforre the patch.

Yeah same, I know what you mean - I had a game where I formed an Irish republic (with territories all over the place in different trade nodes, like Gibraltar, parts of Sicily, etc.) and had to basically stop all expansion for the last hundred years or so, so I wouldn't become completely OP once I convert to EU4. However because of this I accumulated a huge fortune, and when you export from CK2>EU4 for whatever reason they seem to multiply your current funds by like x10, so I started off with more wealth than the rest of the world combined, and was OP in the end anyway. :v: I was constantly losing money throughout EU4 (partially by having multiple colonies over my cap being built, which normally creates huge financial losses) and only started to run out of money right towards the end of the game.

Heh, on the plus side though, you can (or at least could, when it last worked properly) export CK2 games at any time, and it'll just fast-forward the date. So you could have Charlemagne colonizing the Americas, if you really want!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

In Training posted:

Yeah you play CKII for 400 years and then transfer the file and the world state transfers into the next time period/mechanics and you play for another hundred years. You used to be able to convert to Vicky for the 19th/20th century and then convert to hearts of iron for WWII

I remember when people were posting about wanting an Rome>CK2 converter ages ago, even. So that you could then go from Rome>CK2>EU3 (I don't think EU4 was released yet, then)>Vic1/2>HoI2.
As interesting as I'm sure that might be, I'm certain it would get soo stale once you hit CK2 or maybe EU, since you'd just be so big and powerful (with the only other European nations being huge blobs too, and no OPMs existing) that you wouldn't be able to do anything without getting into a huge, drawn-out fight with your superpower neighbours.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

I think i made a mistake

BBJoey posted:

it's no good

From what I've heard, yeah it's not supposed to be great. Sort of like Sengoku was apparently a sort of 'test run' for CK2's engine, MotE is the same deal, but for EU4's engine.
I'd uh, recommend getting a refund on it* and then putting the $5 towards EU4 :v:

* If you've played it for less than two hours, the refund request being made within a couple of weeks of the game being purchased and as long as you sacrifice a newborn baby on the next night with full moon. Terms and conditions apply.
(Certainly seems this way a bit, at least)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 5, 2016

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Agean90 posted:

I got it mostly because it's nice to have a space game that doesn't suck master of orion' s cock. It will be good eventually.

Evwntually meaning 2 years and 80 dollars in dlc from now :shepspends:

This. It definitely needs some improvement, but I feel they've laid out the foundations of a good game that just needs a littlelot of expanding upon. I think the early game/exploration phase is good/interesting, but it falls flat after this stage, once you hit the mid-game. Once they release a couple of ex-pacs, I reckon it'll be a decent game and up there in the 'classic Paradox grand strat' list with CK2, EU3, EU4, HoI2, etc. (and to be honest I figured that this would be the case, as this is a different kind of strategy game that they're trying to make here, so I wasn't disappointed with my purchase. It just confirmed my suspicions that although the game has been released, I'll need to wait a year or so before it becomes properly fun/playable :v:)

In Training posted:

edit wrong thread.

I saw your post just before you edited it - would you mind telling me what game you were posting about? Your comment made it seem quite interesting! (before you removed it anyway, heh)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

In Training posted:

Had some fun with CKII today though. Managed to turn my entire family into inbred failures in just one generation by legitimizing a bunch of bastards and marrying them to all their uncles

It was even worse when 'Way of Life' was first released, where all the AI characters picked the seduction focus and there were much greater chances of success (and no way for characters to permanently reject all future attempts), so it was merely a matter of time until everyone agreed to have sex with everyone else.
Family members would seduce one another, and every single unmarried female courtier were almost constantly pregnant (not to mention they all basically had 5+ children each).
Soo many inbred people around, after a few generations of the Europe-wide orgy.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

In Training posted:

3rd time was indeed the charm as now I have a fat chunk of land, golden horde doesn't hate me and I have a alliance with denmark and we are carving up northern europe, and im going to quietly chip away at the steppes and siberia until i can form russia in 100 years

Nice one! I've been thinking about giving Russia a go (although as Novgorod I think) after the patch hit, but for whatever reason I just love playing in SE Asia too much. I might try starting up a new Russian campaign though, when I pick EU4 back up next. (Probably once I finish my current Portugal CK2 run, I guess)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The big sloppy stinky poo that I painted the toilet with this morning was better than civ v.

So, how does Civ6 compare to Civ5 and - by extension - the aforementioned poo, if any of you have played it yet? I've heard from a couple of people that it's not bad like BE was, although that could potentially just be day-one hype and people justifying their purchase to themselves, so I'm not 100% convinced yet.
I'm hopeful though; I wouldn't mind playing a good Civ game, even if I don't think any entry in the series holds a candle to Paradox's grand strat games. (I know, different type of grand strat game, but still)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

BBJoey posted:

lol groogy had a meltdown about the paradox office eu4 multiplayer game because johan owned him

Got a link, by any chance? Wouldn't mind reading this :D

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

God drat, I actually originally didn't mind Groogy so much from my tiny amount of interaction with him in the SA Pdx thread ages ago, but wow he's just really lost it! I wonder if he behaves like that IRL too, whenever things don't go his way/he thinks people are picking on him.
(Not hard to believe, as I actually know a guy IRL who's like Groogy in that thread, but worse...makes the rest of us picking on him in games now and again that much more satisfying :D )

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Raserys posted:

imagine how epic ck2 would be right now if not for the years of Groogy's influence

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I got ran out of the thread and every time I got into an argument after that they'd be like "hey, aren't you the guy that isn't into comically banging your mum I'm a video game? Yeah? Thought so. Sit the gently caress down."

Oh hey, I think I actually remember reading some of those posts, back when I actually read the Games CK2 thread now and again. I'm surprised I didn't jump ship to this thread sooner!

Also:

Agean90 posted:

kebab update, got a pair of kebabs from an Afghan place, came with rice, some potatoes in a sauce as well as yoghurt salad. 4/5 surprised it wasn't busier.

I went to an Afghan restaurant recently, too. Didn't have any kebabs, but I did have a variety of other dishes including some of their curries. Very good food, and I was happy to see that this particular place got a lot of business, too. (Although curry-wise I still prefer Indian. I know it's the curry everyone seems to have, but butter chicken is just so good)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

BBJoey posted:

utopia will come with a free patch that'll add a lot of stuff, the expansion is a bonus really

Oh wow, I actually didn't know about the Utopia expansion until seeing your post! Since I hadn't really been following the game, ever since I decided to shelve it until they release more mid- to late-game content.
Thanks - I might have to check it out once it releases, and see if it's finally good. (Well, I know it won't be fantastic like CK2 is yet, but I like the idea of Stellaris and Paradox's execution of it is good...it's just missing content compared to CK2/EU4, I feel)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Plutonis posted:

HoI4 was good on release (as long as you played as a major)

Yeah, that's the problem with me; I tend to go for a random middle-power nation and try to build them up with the goal of eventually crippling a major power or two, through various means. (And those generic tech trees, etc. are a little off-putting)
Perhaps not the best strategy for a good, action-packed game compared to playing as Germany or the UK, but well, it does lead to a lot of interesting scenarios, like the US repeatedly nuking India and China, in addition to some of their own cities in order to prevent invading forces from advancing further! :D

(Although that being said, you've reminded me that I genuinely need to give HoI4 a go, at some point soon. I've owned it since November 2016, but haven't touched it yet...)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

at the date posted:

I don't know if you've seen Australia up close, but EU4's current allotted habitable land is generous.

at the date posted:

it's a cesspit so hot they make bricks out of their own poo poo, box them up, and sell them as Metal Gear Solid 5

Hey now, as an Australian I resent that you're calling the country a cesspit!...although uh, the rest of what you have said is accurate, however :D

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Wormskull posted:

I learned Vicky in Victoria 1 by playing Japan, and recommend it to anyone whom hasn't learned it yet.

Yeah, Japan's a great place to start, in Vic/Vic2. I wound up colonizing modern-day Somalia, then took over Oman and Yemen and ended up monopolizing the world opium trade!
Would recommend :2bong:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Why the gently caress are they adding Australia to Civ VI but not Persia or Babylon

I agree, I'm Australian and I think it's a stupid idea to have Australia as a civ - much like the US, in fact. :colbert: I think they should get rid of both, and have actual civilization variety in the game

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

They've done a really good job of purging him. I've done several hours-long marathon sessions since Reaper's Due came out, something I haven't done since like 2013.

I know he appeared to be a bit of an idiot, but what did he actually do? Seeing as he posted here (like darkrenown I think) and seemed to just join in on the office MP games I had assumed he must've been a PR guy or perhaps a lead (who therefore doesn't have a direct hand in what happens with the game). Just curious to know what he messed up and by how much, really - since I didn't play much during The Groogy Era. (perhaps for the best, from what I've heard here. I mostly played prior to when he joined the team)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

In Training posted:

We should have an Imp Zone meet up at Paradox Con in Stockholm and beat up Groogy and spit on him.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So, if I become a tributary of Ming in EU4, will that prevent them from attacking me in the future, at all? Since they're getting pretty uppity at me taking chunks out of my fellow Manchu tribes, so I'm thinking about restarting and bending the knee, prior to making my conquests.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Yeah and due to a bug the AE is all going to ming instead lol

:getin: Time to beat down on some Manchurians and Koreans, before this bug gets fixed!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

In Training posted:

Yeah. I'm gonna pay 20!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Plutonis posted:

It got way better after Utopia but not as much as its full potential

Yeah, it's definitely better now. Could always do with some more content for later on in the game, but it's a good step up from the condition it was in at release.

That being said, I've just had the equivalent of the Aztecs rock up on my doorstep...Some "awakened ascendancy" FE popped into existence (previously left the galaxy, then just recently sent some probes over, reactivating all their shipyards and defenses, etc.) on the other side of the galaxy, then declared war on my piss-weak, war-ravaged federation member (who's ALSO on my side of the galaxy, opposite the FE), who proceeded to drag me into the war, just before I stopped for the night.
So now I have a ~120k fleet including some huge dreadnought thing (that just teleported through/past a few empires, straight into my space) bombarding one of my core planets to deal with next time I start the game...with my ~53k strength fleet, which is the strongest non-FE one in the game right now...
:negative:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

My gut feeling based on no evidence whatsoever tells me they wouldn't bring in outside talent for one of their flagship titles, especially someone whose previous games are not really anything like PI's main titles. I think he's probably working on a new IP.

Yeah, I think you may be right, there. At least, I certainly hope he's not on Vic3, anyway.
...But if he is though, looks like I'm holding out hope for Vic4 in 20 years. :smithicide:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

elf help book posted:

Paradox hired the lead dev of Civilization V and they are keeping him in a small cage and throwing baseballs at him

hahaha that may very well be the reason! :D Although since they're Scandinavian and not Seppos, they'd be throwing these wicker ball things:

Except a hexagon I suppose, since y'know...Civ5 (I'm not sure which would be worse, actually. Baseballs or these things)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

The most unbelievable part of PDXcon was some guy in Games saying groogy had a cloud of fanboys around him

BBJoey posted:

retarded, unable to interact with other people, prolific poster, trash at game design, neverending bad ideas

hahah :D groogy.txt

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 15, 2017

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So, in Stellaris, how wise would it be to change my capital to be a habitat? (Preferably in my home system) Since I know you get a unique habitat admin building. Would I be losing out by having the highest-level capital building there, instead? (Since from memory your capital can reach a slightly higher tier than normal, right?)

Because in my current game I've got an extremely diplomatic and scientific race, and I'm trying to make my space-nation as diverse as possible, so that I can colonize whatever planets I want. (Currently have four species, with the possibility of migrants who like cold planets - which is exactly what I need. My main species is now approx. 1/3 of the total population) However, for my capital I'd like to have it as a location where all my species can be together - especially as all species' have full rights, so the other species' might get elected as the leader of my xenophile+egalitarian democracy.
Problem is, I can't find any gaia worlds nearby, and I'd like the capital to still be in my home system, if possible - as that's what my nation is named after, so it wouldn't make sense to have it located elsewhere. (Otherwise I might be tempted for a ringworld...although it's quite expensive, and I have a LOT of size 25 planets nearby that I can inhabit with the different species' anyway, so it's unnecessary)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
haha well, as much as I hate to admit it (in this situation, at least), Larry does have a point, there! :D I had forgotten about the large bonuses the capital world... However, although I've progressed further in my game, there are definitely a grand total of zero Gaia worlds (let alone size 24-25 ones) in my part of the galaxy. (The entire half of the galaxy I'm on is somehow devoid of Fallen Empires, as well! So the other half must have all four FEs crammed in together, hogging all the Gaia worlds) Plus I'm completely boxed-in by other empires now, so there's no chance of my borders expanding further - through peaceful means, anyway.

So yeah, if I'm honest, I'm still kinda tempted to build that habitat, but drat it's a hard decision now...I didn't realize until checking on the wiki earlier that habitats apparently only have 12 tiles, which isn't too great. Still, they've got some pretty good unique research buildings available, so maxing it out as a multi-cultural research facility with the capital bonuses (plus I have a governor that gives research bonuses, ready and waiting) might not be TOO bad, given that I don't have any particularly good planets/capital candidates, as-is. Hmm...

Oh also, would I be able to build a science nexus and also (potentially later on) a sentry array, all in my capital system as well? Or do they both need to be built over the star (thus limiting it to 'one per system), or something? Apologies if this is an obvious question; the only mega-structure I've ever built is a ringworld in a past game, so I've got no clue about either of these. :shobon:

EDIT: Oof, the last two posters beat me! Hmm, so what tech is needed to be able to terraform a planet into a Gaia world? Since now that I think about it, I do have a size 25 tomb world in my empire, which I could probably use, if I'm able to terraform it from being a radioactive shithole to become a Gaia world.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 3, 2017

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

who cares, tonight I lead the synthetics to victory

Speaking of which, are the new synthetics in Stellaris actually any good? (And do they get that huge opinion malus hiveminds get? I mean, I understand why it's there I suppose, as who would LIKE a hivemind...although I didn't like it being so big, since it really made diplomacy/making friends extremely difficult)

Since yeah, I haven't got the latest expansion at this stage, although I'm kinda feeling like playing a space strategy game. And I dunno, I guess despite Stellaris' flaws, I want to be able to enjoy playing it, the whole way through - although it always seems to get a bit tedious later on in the game. (And well, I suppose for me right now it's either wait and hope that Stellaris is improved, or forget about it and just buy some other 4X game :v: )

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Jackie D posted:

I always enjoy the first half of stellaris and have never finished a game so i guess I like it

Yeah, same - that first period where you're still exploring the galaxy is great. I just always seem to lose interest once everyone forms huge blobs though, as nothing much happens.

Also, have they changed it yet so that you can terraform planets that have pops on them? (And will terraforming destroy buildings on the world, like tile blockers?) At least with regards to terraforming planets to a "machine world" that is; since I'm kinda tempted to play as a robo-civ and just try to robo-ify a large portion of the galaxy. (Although I always get turned off terraforming planets, seeing as I never get the tech early enough - so I never feel inclined to wait that long, before putting people on the planet, heh.)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Alright well, I bought Synthetic Dawn and installed the beta patch. So, as a robo-civ, if I colonize lovely tomb worlds, etc. will any of the organic AI civs be able to actually invade my (atmosphere-less) worlds?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh, thanks for the heads-up guys. And I'll remove that patch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Ah, this looks like a good change - I typically play 'hyperlane-only' games anyway, so it seems like a nice improvement.