Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Map games are extremely baller. I may be a filthy casual who only plays CK2 and EU4 but they are both very fun. I am kind of a casual dweeb though and I get bored and do a new start after a hundred years or so or I have a major set back and just give up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

elf help book posted:

you just play until you feel like doing something else, like sim city i guess

yeah excetp i also think Pretty Borders are dumb............

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is my human being CK2 masterpiece, because I played it as a Crusader King and mostly only gained lands through crusades. I kinda cheated and fabricated a ton of claims to form Hispania, but that was mostly because I was really sick of having 6ish kingdom titles but no empire title.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is the byzantium 1444 start even possible. wtf.

also to that other guy, ya i had sunset invasion on. they killed all the north african muslims for me but took insane losses so i just walked in and cleaned up. there's only one province that even made it to aztec culture.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i got insta-conquered by ottomans but then i restarted and they went to war with the hordes instead, so they were distracted. one of the black sea minors conquered one of my cores so i jumped in and annexed their whole lovely nation. i feel like its gonna be a long string of battles like that, where i just beat up some poo poo-idiot that got missed by the ottomans

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i tried an iroqouis game just to see if they made it less loving homo with conquest of paradise

its actually p sweet, there's stuff to do and north americans can do more besides sit there and slowly upgrade tech after conquering their 2 or 3 neighbors

meso/south america did not get touched at all and is still AWFUL. they didnt even port the unique ideas they get from ck2 converter into vanilla wtf. i thought all new world nations sucked but turns out that just inca/aztec, north america is decently fun to play now. maybe it will suck poo poo balls once england and france show up though.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its really annoying because the aztecs could be real fun to play as an actual nation in north america but its dogpiss thanks to their tech group's insanely limited vision and how boring they are for the first 100 loving years

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know why the Games thread is so upset about retinue nerfs because that period before you snowball with retinues is probably the only dynamic part of the game where you can actually lose a fight. I'd prefer the AI just stop being retarded as poo poo with them, as well as a numbers nerf, though.

please tell me i'm not the only person who thinks its so loving retarded that there are so many events in euiv where its like 'lose 1 stability' or 'lose some monarch points'. or the ones where its like 'lose a bunch of stability and money and tax and trade power, or get rebels'. wtf. who thought that was fun? i feel like i just get poo poo on by the rng constantly when i'm not doing a unique mission or something. its especially bad before you get some idea sets unlocked.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im not gonna lie i was pretty miffed when i found out the new dlc was loving charlemange. like, yeah, that's cool, but can you please fix all this other poo poo first? if the country isn't catholic or norse it's religon mechanics are super loving boring. my favorite lovely pagan religion is west african because it doesnt actually have anything good about it. it's just -relations and a bunch of poo poo you can't do for no real reason. also zorastorians and jews are both just Catholics But You Get Pwnd By Muslims

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

at least zoroastrian lets you marry your sister for opinion lol

also saoshyant/descendant is a cool buff but why the gently caress you dont get the same for your dynasty when you rebuild the third temple

:shrug: the jews are really badly thought out in general. i love that the jewish courtiers you get always hate the gently caress out of you because they are a different religion and culture. so even though you do the honor of allowing them to actually serve on your court they loving hate you and plot against you. the jews suck rear end, bad.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Parallax Scroll posted:

even norse kind of blows after the initial low tech raiding period

i took that ireland game i posted earlier all the way to 1360something but it was an absolute slog after like 1080. jk, i started at 1066 and it acutally sucked rear end the whole time because i was just staring at my gold tick up while i waited for claims to fabricate until the first crusade hit and i was so bored i participated. then i just did nothing but crusades for 300 years and gained half of europe.

jesus christ.

edit: i bought charlemange and im playing as lithuania and im like 90% sure that two of the romuva holy sites arent even built yet. jesus christ.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 14, 2014

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DICKHEAD posted:

Win kingdoms with marriage rather than fabricating claims for every province (or duchy if you get lucky)

That's how I got Norway. I'm not a total tard when it comes to CK2 i just feel like it can have parts where you just sit the game on max speed and get a snack or something.

Tribal holdings are pretty fun tbh. Can you fabricate claims on tribal holdings, though? I used my subjugation up and now I'm not sure if I can expand at all while I wait for my son to get older.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm trying to make the republic of lithuania except that tribals cant upgrade if they are unreformed pagans. and two of the romuvan holy sites dont even loving exist in the charle start. is there a way to add them with the console? because they both are supposed to exist in my territory. i could literally subjugate pomerania and have enough moral authority right there to reform.

seriously how did this bug not get noticed. gently caress you paradox. there's a few random temples that exist in tribal holdings but they arent holy sites for anything so idk why they exist.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

convert to christianism bc romuva loving sucks lol

ya it does but reformed pagans are all the same as christians anyway. i'm also too far from any christians to even convert anyway, lol.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's p clear to my messing around that it's really really focused on France and Germany (no poo poo) but tribals have the same ridiculously annoying thing unreformed Norse had. If you raise tribal liege power or w.e to the point where they work like normal vassals they give you WAY less troops than they would if you had it one step lower and just called them as allies. so if you really loved that power drop when playing as a unreformed offensive pagan and then reforming, you can experience it twice in the same game now.

lol. i just got factioned into lower tribal organization and it didnt actually lower but they all liked me better for conceding to their demands. wtf paradox. did anyone even test this poo poo.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 15, 2014

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I picked Urmhumhain, because for some reason the primary barony always becomes Port Lairge and I figure a Merchant Republic's primary title should be very naval. Also for some reason the duchy is named Munn when that guy forms it. I guess Munster is an English thing or something.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone in the history of ever used the divorce option? It seems like they hate you less for murdering your wife than actually divorcing them.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just figured out that if you form a republic from a tribal holding, it defaults to senority succession for some reason. However, Designated Heir still overrides normal succesion. You just get to pick your heir, and they inherit everything no questions asked.

Lol.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OkieMurse posted:

Oh my that sounds rather desirable.

I have 4 trading posts and its before the year 800.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It took me 2 years of owning CK2 before I realized researching cultural tech is how you can start a heresy. I thought I had to get a Possessed ruler and get lucky or some poo poo.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Someone posted this insanely epic map mod in the Games EU4 thread:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=310638421

This is the one I'm using and I am extremely sad it is not in CK2 also. There's also a flat map mod I have that has little triangles and poo poo or little tiny trees to tell you what terrain is there.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Formable tags are super cool but the lack of unique ideas for doing so is sad. Like why bother forming Ireland when you already have the ideas. Just move to the New World and make Ireland in Canada.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the muslim empires were huge and massive for most of human history between the romans and like 1800 so its not all that surprising tbh.

it sure as gently caress makes playing in spain/north africa/persia a loving DRAG though.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lmao i read that and it would be cool if they made an unique qarmatian heresy if it was a crazy-rear end mix of zoroastrain+muslim mechanics

most of the heresies are insanely boring and its pretty sad. cathar is the only catholic one with actual new mechanics. fratricelli's only gimmick is it prevents the reformation in the ck2 converter.

there's a orthodox heresy that takes away all it's cool stuff and gives you female temple holders. wow amazing. it doesn't even give you female commanders/councilors like cathars. yazidi gets to exocommunicate, but that's it.

paradox plz make the heresies actually interesting to play, and make cathars not have female heir/ruler opinion penalties. sick of making a cathar realm and my idiot vassals hate me for having a female heir even though they are totally down with women in every other way.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Hmm, I really think that you should upgrade all holdings before reforming to merchant republic. Just had a heresy pop that was like 6 times bigger than my entire levies...lmfao.

It's pretty BS how your initial city levy is actually weaker than your tribal holding.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's extremely lame to me, that merchant republics are both stronger but less fun to play than feudal lords.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've noticed every time I switch immediately to Feudal or Republic I get slammed in terms of income and levies since tribal holdings count as wrong holding type.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tfw u mindlessly buy a diplo tech during a war where you want to steal a bucnh of your rival's poo poo...

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
National Ideas are really loving bad and they really ought to just make it a slightly customizable set so it's at least not quite as full of dogpiss.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DICKHEAD posted:

Not what I would call a great victory.

waht even is this

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
forming the dutch republic is going to be harder than i thought. i had all of burgandy sieged down after they lost a war, but kept getting Unreasonable Demands for trying to annex or release all the dutch provinces. they got cut the gently caress down by the french, though, and i released a few random french/german cores as independent nations so my force limit is almost equal to theirs now. if im lucky Burgundian Succesion won't fire until i win the next war and take the last few provinces.

also denmark randomly conquered one of the dutch opms and i'm extremely pissed because austria didnt make them release it. i have no idea how i'm going to beat the loving kalmar union. maybe it'll fall apart or something?

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 20, 2014

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i managed to land the hansa and france as allies so i could probably beat up denmark if they helped. problem is that i dont really feel that its worth the trouble. maybe if they fight poland or something and lose a bunch of troops, i can swoop in and carpet siege for the warscore to get that single province

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
can i get the cliff notes on that video because i cant stand the whispery swedish fag voice wiz has going on

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
we should do an Imp Zone multiplayer game some time, in this humble gamer's opinion. ck2 and eu4 are both fun in multiplayer as long as you either have more than 2 people or are close enough to butt heads a bunch.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Romanians have been the stinky serfs in their own country for basically most of it's existence.

Denmark tried to fight a trade dispute with France and got totally hosed up because they crossed a strait to fight the French stacks. Muscovy decided to walk their troops instead of use their totally adequate navy and they took a shitload of attrition before doing the same thing. Then they fed like, a quarter of their navy each into the French blockcade stack until they had nothing left. They had to release Sweden as a OPM Gotland. The AI is loving retarded sometimes.

So of course, I declared war as soon as they finished and carpetsieged Denmark to get Gelre and like 400 ducats. They had no navy left so I just parked my caravel fleet in the straits and watched the AI put a huge 50 stack there and get confused.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's only like 5 of us imps playing it so maybe that's the better option.

CK2 -> EU4 succession game :iamafag:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i mean i think a realtime game could work too but you half of you are probably eurotrash and then knuc is a loving limey australian fag or something. maybe if we all played in europe & hosed eachother's day up constantly.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I used to play in Abyssinia a lot and it's fun until you start butting heads with the Egyptian Muslims. Then it's loving impossible to ever expand again unless you get insanely lucky. I spent 200 years waiting for them to be busy in a crusade and I got curbstomped by their beat-down left over levies.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My favorite thing is that the CK2 Ethiopia is a more northern area than the actual EU4 Ethiopia occupies. Like counties that exist in CK2 become uncolonized in EU4. Paradox wtf. I get that they are trying to 'compress' Ethiopia to fit on the CK2 map a little but it's really loving wierd.

Sometimes I feel like CK2 needs a 'colonization' mechanic where you just conquer this light grey nameless county and after 25 years it just flips to your culture because you butchered all the natives Dark Ages style. Especially because Iceland even not being wasteland gets more and more ridiculous as they push the start back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Effectronica posted:

The next DLC will push things back to the death of Muhammad and Iceland will be a theocracy with Irish culture

Instead of the current insanity with the Shia and the Sunni existing in peaceful harmony, we will have Islam never actually fracture at all because the AI doesn't meet the requirements somehow. Also there'll be an Arabic Pagan county in somewhere stupid as poo poo like where the Mesallians are now, complete with yet another set of completely insane decisions like Form The Arabic Empire Of Ra or some poo poo. And three of your holy sites are in France.