Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm gonna play the Haida tribe in the Pacific Northwest because I've yet to play a native game with the Common Sense changes. They have really good NIs too so maybe I will be able to stand a chance to the likes of Castile and GB when they come calling eventually. Check out this crazy map mod some dude made though. Sadly I think it's not ironman compatible.

That's amazing. What's the name of the mod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
This DLC is gonna be great. Internal politics, permanent claims upon forming a nation, maaaaybe good espionage finally? Might finally play Qing.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Victoria II is on sale. For someone who loves CK2 and EU4 to death, would Vicky be worth the time and effort to learn?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

So does cossacks stink or something. I await dickhead's response.

Dickhead reporting: Cossacks is fine. Estates are fine. The new random new world is quite a bit better than the old random new world. The system of calculating war contribution sometimes seems a bit wonky. Culture changes are great.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

net cafe scandal posted:

That sounds cool. Any other good starts in the Middle East ythough

Oman is pretty challenging because you're Ibadi.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I like "hard" starts in EU4, but I admit my favorite nation by far is England. You get a bunch of great event chains, the parliament, a natural rival in France that still presents a challenge that may last all game depending on how well your early wars work out--especially now that they're apparently adding a loving STRAIT CROSSING at Normandy--and a great color. Nothing like painting India, North America, South Africa, and Australia red to recreate the greatest colonial empire the world has ever seen.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

In Training posted:

I only lost one province to the Ottomans and then colonized southwards for a few decades but now they're back and they want 20 provinces from me, and I'm getting infected by a Migration event where my entire nation is reverting to ooga booga religion.

First: racist. Second: the Ottomans' mission will go away eventually, just hunker down and tough it out.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

oh mama

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

BBJoey posted:

the paradox dlc model means they never rip out mechanics and replace them with better ideas because they're paid features. i miss expansions tbh

Sure they do. Look at random new world in EU4.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Wiz and the [most attractive/only] woman at Paradox claim credit for Stellaris's AI, which would be grounds for a double execution in a just society.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Larry Parrish posted:

Stellaris has great AI for a 1.0 Paradox game.

You may be right. (1) I've never played a Paradox map game at release before. (2) AI in a freeform map game must be awfully complicated. (3) I am not a programmer. BUT sector management, for example, should be a simple priority list. Don't put slaves on research tiles. Don't ever replace buildings with farms when there's a huge food surplus, but especially not when the "don't replace buildings" box is checked. Build stations once in a while.

AI is not my biggest issue, though. There's also a lot of stuff that I know came stock in previous games that Stellaris is glaringly missing, like map filters, right-click-to-interact diplomacy, alert settings, and certain levels of automation or "batch" orders for repetitive tasks like exploration, salvaging, patrolling, whatever.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Larry Parrish posted:

Those things didn't come stock. Except for map filters and alert settings, all that stuff is added by patches to base CK2 and EU4. As far as map filters go, Stellaris doesn't really have a map that you can easily filter like a typical Clausewitz map but I'm confident they'll eventually figure out a good way to do it

The most obvious filters are all those little icons around systems—why can't you isolate icons by type? I hate having to do poo poo like hunt for anomalies in a 1000-system galaxy like Where's Waldo, or keep manually scanning my own space for tiny resource numbers that are white instead of yellow. And why can't you just see who's at war with you, or who's in an alliance or federation together?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEN5SEb5ASA

Jason Segel must have been hurting for work.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Average Bear posted:

Development in EU4 should be simple Pops with a religion and culture tied to them. Just a thought

that's a stupid idea

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
The menu music is good. They really outdid themselves with this main menu.

e: all the music is good apparently

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 6, 2016

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Stairmaster posted:

hoi4 is extremely epic

e: unless you play as france, france loving sucks in this

France starts out as crappy as you'd expect from a nation of cheese-eating surrender monkeys, but you've got a lot of options in the '36 start to git gud

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

In 1.18's accompanying expansion, which has yet to be name-dropped, we will grant the 8 most powerful countries in the world a "Great Power" status, granting them bonuses, new diplomatic options and, perhaps most importantly, a glow around your shield to show that you are the superior nation.

Intervene in War– If there is an ongoing war between great powers but an imbalance in the number of GPs involved, you can make it your business to intervene. For example, if GP Britain is singlehandedly fighting GP France and GP Spain, you as a Great Power Commonwealth can intervene on Great Britain's side to balance out the number of great powers involved.

The game start Great Powers are Ming, France, Ottomans, Timurids, Mamluks, England, Lithuania, and Castile.

How do Austria, Denmark, and Burgundy fail to make the list that includes Lithuania and Mamluks?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

PleasingFungus posted:

i want to say you're about an inch away from forming the netherlands, though i forget what the exact conditions are there...

If he's Holland, he's got everything already. If he's Burgundy, he has to take pretty much everything Holland now owns. Good luck with AE.

e: also, it's almost too late for many of the events that shower Netherlands with free bonuses

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 10, 2016

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Estates feel a bit mandatory because of those free 100-150 monarch points in each category every 15? years. And the colonization bonuses are fantastic. But yeah, it's just a lot more clicking and a very limited list of new events that get old after the first playthrough. You can avoid dealing with estates by playing a merchant republic.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Pewdiepie posted:

So the secret of playing a republic, is to effectively make it a monarchy?

It's better than a monarchy because you can (1) quickly get rid of an excommunicated ruler and (2) bump up your leader stats across the board every few years. Plus you get all the obvious bonuses of being a merchant republic, like enough money to fund a standing merc army and give them to anyone fighting a war against your enemies. The only REAL drawback is not being able to marry other rulers for the relations bump and protection against surprise wars. If you're Venice, any nearby power you're allied to, like Austria, is liable to suddenly break the alliance, rival you, and declare war as soon as the truce is over. Royal marriages buy you time. Human players obviously don't care much about the stability hit.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Stairmaster posted:

Apparently Asian nations can grab colonialism first and the penalty for not having it is now 50%, lol.

Plus institutions can't pop up in multiple places for some idiotic reason.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

BBJoey posted:

so are institutions good or bad

They're loving fantastic if you don't play in Europe.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Major Isoor posted:

God drat, I actually originally didn't mind Groogy so much from my tiny amount of interaction with him in the SA Pdx thread ages ago, but wow he's just really lost it! I wonder if he behaves like that IRL too, whenever things don't go his way/he thinks people are picking on him.
(Not hard to believe, as I actually know a guy IRL who's like Groogy in that thread, but worse...makes the rest of us picking on him in games now and again that much more satisfying :D )

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I don't get it. Why would they give the Ottomans increased siege ability as their boost for that age? Why not, oh, increased vassal count so you can play a historical Ottomans with Transylvania and Tunis as client states (e: or a reduced opinion penalty for "other religion" so they can ally France)? The Ottomans in the 1500s got notably whooped or fought to an embarrassingly narrow victory at sieges they should have won easily, e.g. Rhodes, Malta, and Famagusta.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Dec 14, 2016

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

:eyepop:

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I tried staying Democratic as France in SP but holy hell is it hard. Unless you want to cripple your industry (bad tradeoff), before 1939 you really can't get rid of the Victors of the Great War national spirit that cripples your political power. Even turtling with all infantry brigades and heavily fortified borders, you're out of manpower inside a year and relying on the USA to bail you out, and they take their sweet time joining the war. I've never made it to the end of 1943 without capitulating.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

In Training posted:

I started my Communist USA file, wish me luck gamers. I spent 15 minutes puzzling over the national ideas tree trying to figure out to how most efficiently end the Great Depression

oh so you're doing a historical run with FDR then

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

pog boyfriend posted:

my dream is that they give australia their own ideas and shrink the wasteland to allow for more oceanic stuff in asia but that is probably not going to happen

I don't know if you've seen Australia up close, but EU4's current allotted habitable land is generous.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
it's a cesspit so hot they make bricks out of their own poo poo, box them up, and sell them as Metal Gear Solid 5

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Mare Nostrum's nice if you play republics.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
just buy all the dlc you whore

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

England is still my favorite start even after something like 500 hours in the game.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
happy to report Monks & Mystics added a new crash triggered by some common Muslim event, can't tell which

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Plutonis posted:

The DF thread gave me an idea. I wanna do a ck2 succession game for imps. Maybe every 50 years change players?

why not actual succession—new ruler, new player?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
the first player lives for 100 years then institutes absolute cognatic seniority succession

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Evil Eagle posted:

Also I must have snuffed out at least 2 million rebels and separatists in that Ottomans game. It was just a tiny bit ridiculous.

much like the real life Ottoman Empire, you mean

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Evil Eagle posted:

Is today Mandate of Heaven day? I ended up buying all of the expansions that I was missing because I figure that paying 80 bucks for a 1000 hour game is worth it.

yes, and Utopia day

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I bought Utopia this morning and I'm really excited to dive in after work tonight. I've liked Stellaris from the beginning and Utopia looks like an enormous improvement. Can't wait to spend all night redoing all my custom empires with the new government/civics system and then not have any time to play afterwards.

exactly what I'm doing now

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

In Training posted:

a DLC I don't own

Does... not... compute! Haha!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Major Isoor posted:

(Which seeing as my character is gay, I seemed to have the option to make him gay too)

This is what Michele Bachmann warned me about