Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Any Map Gamers here?

You know it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Awesome! posted:

I think it's functional and completable, unlike the ck2 tutorial but it still leaves lots of stuff out

Apparently part of the Charlemagne patch (next week?) is gonna be a tutorial campaign

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I own all the Ck2/Eu4 stuff, and Ill probably pick up the Vicky 2 stuff when I get into it.

All the Vicky 2 stuff (literally all of it) was 5 bucks a month or two ago. I would have let you know if I knew you were gonna play....

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The golden rule of Map Gaming: Do not expand further if your borders look bad.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Lumpy the Cook posted:

The entire series was $5 this weekend.

All DLCs and stuff too? Cool.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

I almost got March of Eagles during the sale but then I remembered that it will never be patched or expanded and it's supposed to only be good multi.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

elf help book posted:

if schools were still cool they would have ck2 installed on computers like 90s kids had oregon trail

that would be so bad rear end

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Playing as adolf Hitler ftw

http://www.twitch.tv/m/613229

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

conceitedguy posted:

when are u going to srtream hegemony again hay "dickhead" man

only 3 people watched it so probably never

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

CoP is probably the most worthless DLC unless you wanna play native americans...WoN is the other good one with changes to trade.

res publica is good because of national focus but the other stuff you dont really need unless youre gonna be a merchant republic. i hear the polish elective monarchy thing is kind of broken as well?

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

anime gently caress pillow posted:

Manchu -> Qing is a very rewarding EU4 experience, as is Poland -> Germany

poland to germany is too goofy

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

i dunno if you remember my vicky 2 self determination mod but i worked on it a lot for a stretch of about a month. my list of stuff to add is too intimidating so i havent done anything else with it for a while

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Wormskull posted:

I wish I didn't play as conservatively as I tend to in these since it makes it a huge pain to be a Khanate like crimea or w/e. Maybe I should just go all out next time I play it.

im gonna play the goth kingdom in crimea theyre adding with art of war

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Yolomancer posted:

Yeah I got all the EU4 DLCs I didn't have for like $10. Decided to play a game as the Ottomans. Wanting to do the mission 'Conquer the Levant', but unsure if I should wait for the Mamelukes to fall apart (if they will) or just go for it.

Just go for it. the Mamluks crumble really easily and once you take Damascus and a few other rich provinces in the Levant they don't really pose a threat if you're busy somewhere else

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

i really like the ottoman position on the map but theyre too easy to play as. maybe i should finally do a byzantium game

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Wormskull posted:

Is it scythians or something.

theodoro i think?

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Yolomancer posted:

Cool. I'll give it a shot. I just finished eating most of Bosnia, Serbia, Wallachia and Moldavia, but I didn't full annex them because I didn't want the AE and I don't really understand the best way to vassal feed.

it's probably cheaper point wise to diplo-annex them than core them and you'll need admin points to core mamluk lands. then again it all depends on what points you need or ideas i guess. ottomans are unstoppable if you take humanism if you dont know. with your national ideas you'll end up with everyone as accepted culture except like tuareg.

also you'll benefit from the current bug where you constantly get Religious Disunity triggering and then ending for free stability

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

There's a diplo point trade off with vassalising now if you want to annex. I didn't think much of it until I tried to annex portugal for like 800 monarch points or something ridiculous.

without core cost ideas i think it's slightly cheaper per tax base unless you have a claim on every province

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

oh here's a tip for mamluk killing. if you have the mission that gives you claims on all of mamluk provinces do not force them to release anything because it causes the mission to fail

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It is going to be filled to the brim with bugs.

I'll play it anyway because I'm stupid as hell

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

At least I know enough about getting around the console to fix most crap. Or mod it like i had to do with the Rajas mega-revolt stuff

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

you get a mission to conquer cyprus iirc. i'd probably grab it anyway though since it won't be much AE. at least with no one that matters (no neighbors and french culture)

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

What's a good game to do in EU4 after I get this 5 colonies chieve.

i did a venice game where i carved through egypt to india. if you have res publica you put a trade post in every trade center province and then in india you grab all the trade provinces and protectorate everyone else and you get insane income because trade power of republics increases goods produced so all you have to do is be strong in an area and your protectorates will generate bonus goods

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

trade companies do the same but i dont think it stacks with the merchant republic good bonus?. you would still want to make trade companies for bonus merchants

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

did the same with hansa -> germany

too bad you cant take trade strength from vassals otherwise it would be cool to do that as hansa except you collect in amsterdam while surrounded by a vassal dutch guy producing extra goods in one of the biggest good production areas

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

forming malaya was one of my favorite games but that was ages ago so i dont know the best way to do it now. i made my own malaya flag because the default stank
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=181339452

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

How do you build a trade post.

it's a res publica thing. you click the province and there's a weird house building. you have to be a merchant republic though (maybe dutch republic as well?). but it's about the equivalent in trade power of a major river iirc? more maybe? i know it isnt as good as a major center of trade but you can put it ON a major center of trade and then build all your trade buildings there and congrats. now you have a single province with more power than every province in southern china combined

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Has anyone done luck of the Irish? I just started as Ulster and Englad is protective of me...dunno whether I should ride that out and stab them in the back after stealing Scotland, or go full retard and try to beat up England with Scotlant.

probably go full retard i think. if england collapses early with french and scottish help you can win big time

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

does anyone play hegemony gold? you play it on a huge map and can pause but when you zoom in it isnt a map anymore? anyway i'm about to finally attack athens

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

oh my god

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I noticed that Ireland doesn't have that worthless national idea that increases republic tradition anymore...I also noticed that one of the sea zones by Ireland is called Dingle Bay.

it's cool that if you are a republic it's really good. i think they still have it but it gives something else as well though

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

It gives +10% trade steering instead of just tradition

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Wormskull posted:

Looks fairly epic.

It's good as hell.

I took a bunch of Athenian cities east of Macedonia but in that main area they bottled up my army in a strait to the north and a pass to the south. lost a ton of men, a city to rebellion (that i got back), and only managed to get one city down there out of all of that. I had to declare a truce but it cost about 1.5x as much as my pre-war truce. Also one of my Balkan cities rebelled but I have a truce with the faction it rebelled to so I can't really get it back.

I'll have to rebuild and resupply for like a year or more before I can try again. I rescued Plato from the Athenians though.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

OkieMurse posted:

Since you're such a classy imp I'll have to give it a try Worm.

Any suggestions on a first timer to it to ensure a good addiction? Like I said, I've done plenty of EU3/4 and CK2 but I've never gotten around to playing Vicky at all.

(I think I do own all the DLC though.)

USA is a good learner nation for vicky 2. you have some immediate goals (beat up mexico), the civil war stuff, and post-civil war you have the ability to expand pretty much any way you can imagine.

and if you gently caress up the only really bad thing that could ever happen is uh... i dunno the UK invades through canada?

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

I did Mexico in PDM a long time ago and had a lot of fum because i managed to beat up the US enough that the CSA stayed independent and the US went presidential dictatorship. In PDM this triggers Disunited States (states secede from the union) so by end game i was ruling over a chunk of the US and (through my spheres) ruling over an American Anarchy Zone where a bunch of small North American states kept fighting each other or falling to communist / fascist rebels resulting in me having to intervene and reestablish my sphere over them or stopping them from fighting.

Funny enough I had fun with the stupid My Little Pony mod that I did an LP of on Badgame (and was probated for when I reposted it here) because it was basically like playing as an even smaller and shittier Mexico. Well except the barely literate guy that made the mod accidentally put a ton of Soldier POPs in Stalliongrad.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Wormskull posted:

I learned Victoria 1 by playing as Japan, which are good since you can kick Korea's rear end and China's if you got big nards, or try to kick the Dutch and Spanish out of SEA, and they get a historical guaranteed modernization event, at least they did in 1. I never really tried in Victoria 2 though so it might be different,

Oh yeah. Japan is really good learning game for Vicky 2 since it has a lot of stuff it can do and the only really hard fight is Russia and surviving against China's 1 billion crappy soldiers. I think it was my first game in Vicky 1 as well.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

I used the Victoria 2 Save Game Analyzer once and I had like 5 million people die on both sides in a war against China. 1 million from casualties in a single battle alone iirc.

Also in a game where I played as Russia and went communist about 2 million died in the Soviet-Krakow War which was funny to see.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Hay Man, what are the odds of the AI giving me poo poo I have claims/missions for in war?

Allied AI? I dunno the odds but messing around as Scotland and allied with France I noticed they would try to give me at least a couple of claims unless they also had a claim there (we were working together to eat Burgundy. They probably always give cores but I've never had the opportunity to test it.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Wormskull posted:

Baron Bonghits always brings up how epic it is to be China and murder Britain's entire workforce in a huge war with your disposable billion man army and collapse there hold on the world.

If you civilize China and take the abuse from Great Powers most of the game you can get insanely powerful. Your income is good enough from just RGOs after civilization that all you really need to research is war tech as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

anime gently caress pillow posted:

I always forget to turn lucky nations off. Horseshit modifier for people who get mad when things deviate from history.

playing as someone like russia or turks or whoever would be way too easy without luck on at least random. for really big guys like russia i would keep it on historical