Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

FairGame posted:

Cruz seems like the kind of guy you don't want to give an extension to. He's entering his age 34 season, already can't play defense at all, and pretty much only hits for power.

Also, the Jhonny Peralta deal loving owns and I love it more every day.

It's funny how many teams passed on Cruz this season, considering the big contract he was seeking. Then he settles for a one year contract with the Orioles and has a season I bet few people were expecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
Cardinal sportswriting is very parody friendly

quote:

Against a perfect twilight sky, Indian summer shifting to brilliant autumn, the Gateway Arch joined the 46,906 Busch Stadium faithful who bore witness to another perfect moment of baseball history. Pure Americana distilled into one barrel-chested frame, Matt Adams launched a curveball from that would-be conquerer, Clayton Kershaw, deep into the night, etching himself into the history books — and hearts — of the proudest tradition in baseball: Cardinals October memories. As his wide frame skipped and bounced, he embodied the glee that all of us felt in our hearts. The Cardinals, once again, are back where they belong: challenging for a pennant, healing all of us who have been injured this tumultuous summer. Giving a nation hope, once again. Hope that the good guys can win.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Spoeank posted:

Giants and Niners might be in the same STL hotel this weekend :3:

Yeah, the HEARTBREAK HOTEL.

:burn:

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

armoredgorilla posted:

I actually agree, but you can be assured that the majority of bullshit singles will be landing in left field today.

Cardinals fans owe a lot to Nelson Cruz's elite defense.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

I don't think there was a single inning in which the Cardinals pitching didn't allow something scary to happen. Even Year Bullshit seems real. I pray that at least one team from Missouri proves powerful enough to overcome it.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

I think a large amount of Cardinals fans do genuinely have no idea how the outside views them. I think we so often still think of ourselves as plucky underdogs even though that really isn't true. That's part of what people find so obnoxious, I think.

I think St. Louis in general has kind of an inferiority complex, not unlike many cities that peaked 50 years ago. The baseball team is one avenue people can feel superior about. I have very mixed feelings about my hometown. The Ferguson events have definitely brought back to the forefront all of the things I hated about it growing up, that's for sure. Strangely though, I think being away from the city I've actually become more of a Cardinals fan. Being older and understanding the game better is one reason, the other being that they really got good again after I left for college. My earliest memories were the Joe Torre and early Larussa years, when they made the playoffs once in 12 years. So I definitely grew up feeling like they were underdogs, since I had little firsthand experience with playoff success.

Once I got out of St. Louis and they got good again, I started to realize, "oh yeah, they win a lot, don't they?" I'd never really considered the perspective of other fans with teams that sucked for decades.

So yeah, I can't complain. Win or lose today, Satan is still on our side in the long run, as he's proven since the 1920s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Retail Slave posted:

I don't think there's been a World Series with 2 wild card teams since the playoffs expanded, right?

Which expansion are you talking about? There have been several since the LDS was added, none since the wildcard playoff added in 2012.

• Locked thread