Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
This is an honest question, but who do you guys think is the worse broadcaster of the playoffs this year, Tbs or FOX/FS1?

I'd have to say TBS only because Fox has the ability to broadcast on network TV. Aside from that in both commentary and interviews their pretty much equal in my eyes.

That and TBS was wholly responsible for a delay in Game 1 of the ALCS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

FairGame posted:

FS1 missed several at bats that started and ended on the first pitch because they were busy talking about whatever bullshit they talk about

I would rather see a game with dumb announcers than NOT see a game with any announcers

Yeah, I had forgotten about that. Now that I'm remembering they've also had a habit this year of missing opening at bats thanks to commercial breaks. I still don't think that makes them any worse overall than TBS, but it's at least a very close tie.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

I still think that maybe not a SABRmetric themed broadcast but at the very least a stat themed broadcast for fantasy baseball or even the layman could be done, but these visuals I think need to be handled better, so I thought it over and came up with a crude redesign, granted it would still need a lot of work, but it might be better than the current one:

In this setup, in order to save screen space the second camera angle has been eliminated altogether, in its place is an enlarged view of the main camera angle. Alternatively, going along the idea that this broadcast would be done as an alternative video feed done on something as FS1, MLBN, or MLB.tv, this main viewspace of the game could be used to show camera angles different from the one on the default broadcast.

In addition, taking a note from the regular broadcasting on MLBN, FS1, and elsewhere, a medium sized sidebar has been added to the left side of the screen. In this mockup it's being used to explain x-fip but it could also be used for either stats or other information pertinent to the game.

Finally, at the bottom of the main viewpoint is brief information about the batter and pitcher. I put the normal information one would find on the scoreboard at any normal ballpark, but these could be used to give any information or data about either player. This is the area that would probably need the most work, as space is an issue.

But as to whether or not a stats themed broadcast is a good idea, I would have to say no for television. Maybe on something like MLB.tv but you're only shooting yourself in the foot by splitting up your broadcasts between two different channels.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

ReverendDre posted:

:suicide:

goddamnit, at least we got a new Walking Dead tonight

Well the Giants died because Sandoval couldn't go walking.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

Harlock posted:

Tuesday
STL/SF 4:07 EST
BAL/KC 8:07 EST

Wednesday
BAL/KC 4:07 EST
STL/SF 8:07 EST

A 1 PM local NLCS game is kind of criminal.

I'm going to have to miss the end of the AL game and start of the NL game on Wednesday thanks to night classes :(

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

tadashi posted:

Happy Sid Bream Day!

:suicide:

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

It sucks enough when your team is about to be eliminated, but it really sucks a lot more on top of that when some pinch runner's prophecy is also about to be fulfilled at the same time

If my team was going to be eliminated from the playoffs I'd rather have it be in the opponent's ballpark than in mine.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

Gorman Thomas posted:

Why don't MLB stadiums have house bands? Better yet, why don't MLB teams have bullpen bands?

They used to:

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrI7dVj90zs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

This is the correct position. But the Second-Best Possible World Series has been achieved.

• Locked thread