Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

People are often fond of calling their guilty pleasures a "good bad show", I think there's something to say for the inverse.

Well done Log Horizon, you were a bad good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

There Bias Two posted:

I actually liked this episode for once! There was progression!

Too bad, it will be years if ever until there is another season of the anime.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
So the show is probably over for a while huh. Season 2 sure had its low points, but overall it was ok. Still way better then sword art online.

I wouldn't mind seeing some more though. I feel like a prequel show where they cover what the tea party did could be pretty good. Is there actually a book version of that stuff?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Nope. Nothing written down just yet.

So this is where all the budget went, huh.

In other news, the NA server custom classes:

Kyte fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 28, 2015

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

So long, Log Horizon. You were mostly empty foreshadowing and side stories, but it was an ok ride.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It's not empty when they're gonna get used, it's just that it played a longer game than it actually showed. :v:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kyte posted:

Eagerly awaiting translation. Also, can't wait to see Scandanavia's custom classes :black101:

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Kyte posted:

Guessing that's pirates and shamans? North America rocking the fantastic beards

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

booksnake posted:

Guessing that's pirates and shamans? North America rocking the fantastic beards

Literally it'd be "Medicine Man", but yeah. Beard is strong in NA.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Medicine Man replaces Medium in NA. (That's the Kannagi spot)
Pirate is the generic class that Japan replaces for Samurai.

And those are some really cool beards indeed.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Kyte posted:

It's not empty when they're gonna get used, it's just that it played a longer game than it actually showed. :v:

You really don't know that for sure

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

dotJPG posted:

You really don't know that for sure

Yes because this is an author known for forgetting plot points and poo poo.

Incidentally I just remembered, the dude said he was planning for 15 volumes or so and he's currently writing the 10th one so that's about 2/3rds of the way.

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.

Xelkelvos posted:

Eagerly awaiting translation. Also, can't wait to see Scandanavia's custom classes :black101:

I vaguely recall that the fans from one of the European countries wanted to rename almost half of the classes to Viking or some crazy poo poo like that.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Wind Tempest posted:

I vaguely recall that the fans from one of the European countries wanted to rename almost half of the classes to Viking or some crazy poo poo like that.

(From my LHTRPG F&F)

Scandinavia has the Skald instead of the Bard and the Viking instead of the Pirate/Samurai. Western Europe has the most regional classes for whatever reason

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I'm happy that they included the possibility of people wanting to go to the Database rather than be "must go home, home now."

I admit if the pacing wasn't so drat awful and the stories a little more interconnected to each other I would've been able to enjoy the series that much more.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I guess western europeans sent more interesting classes than the rest.

Russians too, looking at it.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Kyte posted:

Would that excuse worked for my finals!

Whatever might happen in future, all evidence points to somewhat mundane results. Crusty was just teleported somewhere else - no consequences. The size of the world is increasing? Did that ever stop? Everyone's memories are disappearing? No? Maybe not? Hey, moon people! The show comes across as layers of exploratory drafts.

That's not to say it wasn't enjoyable, it's just not a cohesive narrative.

Kyte posted:

Not sure how he could be known for much of anything with two anime adapted works under his belt.

CuLT fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 29, 2015

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Kyte posted:

Incidentally I just remembered, the dude said he was planning for 15 volumes or so and he's currently writing the 10th one so that's about 2/3rds of the way.

The point I was making was that it seems you've already made up your mind that the author is going to tie up everything well and that it's all part of some clever plan... but realistically you don't know that. I'm not saying it won't be, but deciding something is going to be good in advance of it being out is just fallacious, especially given his low number of actual published works.

It's okay that people enjoyed the story. I enjoyed parts of it too. But I also agree with what CuLT says above- there were issues with the cohesion, pacing, and consistency of everything, which left the story feeling like it could've been a lot better.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Eh I s'pose you guys are right. I got a bit carried away.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

"So you need to go home and take care of your kid right?"
"What? No I need to go grab her so I can show her my griffin and Ky Kiske!"

Kanami rules.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Informal Goon Poll:
Shiroe's the father? (y/n)

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Toshimo posted:

Informal Goon Poll:
Shiroe's the father? (y/n)

Given the way he reacts to it, and the fact Kanami is talking about showing her daughter all the cool stuff but not about her husband/boyfriend at all? I think we're meant to think that. And yet, this show does like to shake things up, not least of which with Kanami herself not being desperate to get home to her daughter but wanting to bring her daughter across to her.

So I'm going to guess No, simply to be contrary.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

jng2058 posted:

So I'm going to guess No, simply to be contrary.
There is no indication that Kanami and Shiroe had any kind of relationship other than a casual in-game only knowledge of each other. I don't see how he could possibly be the father. I doubt he's ever had a real life girl friend.

But, there is a lot we still don't know about the Tea Party's past. Also, why would Kanami mention that one specific thing to Shiroe?

Maybe we'll find out they were living together in real life and that their breakup is what caused the Tea Party to ultimately disintegrate.

Still, if I were stuck in a game and I had a daughter at home, I'd be pretty drat anxious to get back to her. Most of the people we've seen so far have been loner or single folks who are stuck. The only other person who had someone "at home" was the suicide guy who had a fiance he wanted to get back to.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I'm guessing Shiroe was crushing on Kanami hard, she let him down gently, he cried and left the group, and now Kanami is testing how cool Shiroe's going to be by dropping the kid thing.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
What in their conversation makes you think Shiroe had anything to do with the babby? Kanami's puzzled that he even knows about her.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
IIRC Kanami met some doctor dude or similar in some conference or such.

Shiroe was too concerned with college to think about relationships. Also he's an awkward nerd. It's partly why he resists Nureha who's established as Queen Seduction.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Kyte posted:

IIRC Kanami met some doctor dude or similar in some conference or such.

Shiroe was too concerned with college to think about relationships. Also he's an awkward nerd. It's partly why he resists Nureha who's established as Queen Seduction.

Queen Titties

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Decent ending, and it kinda makes me excited for season 3 when it drops in five years.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I hope this does not end up like the end of S1 that promised conflict between east and west Yamato just to do something else in S2. I can't believe it took us ten books just to introduce the main conflict of the storyline. :psyduck:

The characters are still very charming and I'd be all over a S3 just on them and the interesting-looking-but-sadly-unexplored plot alone.

Dzhay posted:

Well done Log Horizon, you were a bad good show.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 29, 2015

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
IMO, the author could put out setting books like an RPG and it'd be more than satisfactory

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Xelkelvos posted:

IMO, the author could put out setting books like an RPG and it'd be more than satisfactory

There is an RPG though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

There is an RPG though.

There's only three books though. The core, and two Replays and the replays don't really add much setting info as far as the translators have provided.

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk

quote:

Fishpond.com.au <no_reply@fishpond.com.au>
10:44 PM (11 hours ago)

to Scott
"Log Horizon (Novel): Vol. 1: The Beginning of Another World" is not yet released. Your pre-order has been recorded.

This title is due for publication on 21 April 2015. Please note that pre-order publication dates may vary slightly as the publication nears release.

wow wow

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It doesn't even matter if there is no hope as the madness of the system grows!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Who's the real sucker now? :smug:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Wait, is that an English release? Oh man I want that wall of pure fiction cracking in my head.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

This is great news! I'm going to have to get the novels, I suppose.

I found it listed on various online bookshops. It's from Yen Press. Vol.1, 21 April. Vol.2, 21 July. Vol.3, 17 November.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
So is Log Horizon worth reading if I felt slowly more and more blah with the anime?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Drifter posted:

So is Log Horizon worth reading if I felt slowly more and more blah with the anime?

Akatsuki's side-story is an entire book. How does that make you feel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Somebody find that post again someone made that had various excerpts from the books as an example of the writing, dealing with Akatsuki. I distinctly remember it ending with the words "WE GET IT FUCKER, SHE'S SMALL!"

• Locked thread