Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

HenryEx posted:

Somebody find that post again someone made that had various excerpts from the books as an example of the writing, dealing with Akatsuki. I distinctly remember it ending with the words "WE GET IT FUCKER, SHE'S SMALL!"

It must have been a charming poster of great quality.

Toshimo posted:

I do. Every time they do an overly lingering shot of Akatsuki looking pensive I say aloud to nobody at all:
" This petite girl with her black hair fluttering in the wind was Akatsuki."
"But Akatsuki's new body was really petite, shorter than Shiroe's shoulders, maybe not even 150cm."
"Shiroe felt the petite young girl in front of him was slowly merging with the 'Akatsuki' he knew."
"Her petite body had amazing speed, you would have trouble tracking her movements as she rushed towards the enemies."
"The petite young girl standing beside Shiroe was also wearing a beautiful dress."
"Her neatly combed hair, her petite body in a dress. "
" The petite beautiful young girl that was like a sparrow, Akatsuki."
"Akatsuki asked Shiroe while holding a piece of bread with her petite mouth."
"Her petite body was covered by dark and low profile clothes, but her slim body still had very alluring curves."
" The cute and petite Akatsuki was viewed with curiosity in the beginning."

WE GET IT MOTHERFUCKER SHE IS SMALL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
:lol::laugh: slim body covered in low-prof clothes with alluring curves is metagaming. It's like thinking that a yardstick is sexy because you already know it got a vajajay hidden somewhere in there.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I don't know if it's internet translator quality or what, but that really is really grody. If text could be described as "leering" that continuous obsession with smallness would certainly be up there.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Japanese is really really redundant. Problem is BT translators are awful and have no idea how to translate things into English-that-human-beings-read as opposed to only-technically-English.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Kyte posted:

Japanese is really really redundant. Problem is BT translators are awful and have no idea how to translate things into English-that-human-beings-read as opposed to only-technically-English.

That, and they need a goddamn thesaurus.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kyte posted:

They also have a policy that forces editors to be living spellcheckers, instead of actual editors. That causes a lot of problems!

Especially since they also have too many cooks so you never get a consistent voice.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Log Horizon author arrested for tax evasion.

Wow wow

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Tea Party member?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Probably just tried to apply his Maoyu lessons IRL.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Should've taken a lesson from the Spice and Wolf guy and invested it all in stocks.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Instead now he's in the stocks.

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk

Toshimo posted:

Instead now he's in the stocks.

:scott:

oh wait poo poo gently caress what if this means YenPress stops translating

That's a thousand pages of Log Horizon left unreadable until my proficiency in moonrune goes beyond hirakata

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ScottyWired posted:

:scott:

oh wait poo poo gently caress what if this means YenPress stops translating

That's a thousand pages of Log Horizon left unreadable until my proficiency in moonrune goes beyond hirakata

You can read baka.

The small, petite, attractive girl was defined by her smallness, petiteness, and attractiveness.

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk
Read baka or learn kanji.

This is a masochist's dilemma

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Turns out there really is no hope as the madness of the system grows. :smith:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I guess we know who the real villain in glasses is.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
No he wasn't arrested, he was just accused and fined.
BTW an english translation: http://zakitakubu.com/2015/04/13/maoyuu-and-log-horizon-author-touno-mamare-accused-of-tax-evasion/
His RL identity is now public too, must suck. Dude's 41, huh.

Let me quote some things from a dude who can read jp because it's interesting context:

quote:

*Winces* I'm feeling that Mamare stepped on a few toes somewhere; I'm guessing he pissed off somebody in the NHK. It doesn't have to be a real attempt at evading taxes, like a simple mis-step in procedure or something; the Japanese Legal System was well known for wrangling out cases no matter what, so much so that it used to be said that "being charged equals being guilty".

Looking at how the Media phrases the situation, the more Right Wing Papers like Yomiuri are already treating Mamare like a Convicted Criminal, while the more moderate ones are careful in their phrasing, some even talking about the cash never leaving the bank, which sounds like a mistake rather than an intentional act of evasion. Some of the Tabloids phrased the issue as if Mamare has already been convicted, and that the Third Season of the Anime will probably be impossible to air.
So, yeah, my guess is that Mamare managed to step on the toes of somebody important, and failed to apologize or something like that. Or, Log Horizon pissed somebody off, and that somebody wanted to tear it down. Given the charge comes from the Tokyo Tax Bureau, when they could have filed it much earlier (they missed it for three years, really?) or warned Mamare in a much more discreet manner... yeah.

Then again, I'm kind of a paranoid who sees conspiracies behind shadows, so it might not be that and Mamare made a honest mistake or hired a bad accountant, or he might really been intentionally "hiding his income" from the Tax Bureau. Yeah, right.

quote:

quote:

I've seen a more innocent explanation: Mamare was so used to writing as a hobby that when he made it big he didn't realize he had to pay taxes for it.

From what I understand, this explanation comes from ZUN of Touhou Project:
https://twitter.com/korindo/status/587452689195237376
https://twitter.com/korindo/status/587455433545093120
Hopefully, though the direct jump to filing a charge does ring warning bells in my head.
Also, the way it was phrased in Japanese, especially in the NHK News Web link that was used as the source for the Anime Network news, makes it sound much more malicious. As in, it seems as if the press want to use this to keep Mamare in check, or shut him up, or something like that.

Various news networks have started to talk about it, and while the word "suspect" is used, the phrasing and tone would leave you thinking that it is set in stone that Mamare did Tax Evade on purpose.
It doesn't help that he had set up a company (m2ladeJAM) to probably help with things, as that slants public opinion pretty badly.

That explanation works for ZUN's case since he hadn't gone fully commercial; unfortunately, Mamare did (even if m2ladeJAM only was a paper company at best), so he can't use that explanation even if it was the truth.

quote:

And in Japan, if I remember correctly, this sort of poo poo is a typical start of the Japanese Government's commitment of discrediting someone. So, someone in the Japanese Government hates Log Horizon, apparently, or hates Mamare's guts.
The tabloids here are already starting campaigns to make sure more Log Horizon Anime will not exist by 'quoting' members of the Animation Team lamenting about any chance to make a Season Three, "Because Avoiding Taxes is a Major Crime, we can't hope to make more" to sort-of-quote 東スポWeb, in a fashion.

The crazy thing is that given the tone and message of Log Horizon there is indeed a non-zero chance it pissed off someone at the japanese upper crust.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 13, 2015

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm having a problem connecting the two issues. What parts of Log Horizon? Is it the gold loan to buy/sell all the property?

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Kyte posted:

No he wasn't arrested, he was just accused and fined.
BTW an english translation: http://zakitakubu.com/2015/04/13/maoyuu-and-log-horizon-author-touno-mamare-accused-of-tax-evasion/
His RL identity is now public too, must suck. Dude's 41, huh.

Let me quote some things from a dude who can read jp because it's interesting context:

quote:

Hopefully, though the direct jump to filing a charge does ring warning bells in my head.
Also, the way it was phrased in Japanese, especially in the NHK News Web link that was used as the source for the Anime Network news, makes it sound much more malicious. As in, it seems as if the press want to use this to keep Mamare in check, or shut him up, or something like that.

Various news networks have started to talk about it, and while the word "suspect" is used, the phrasing and tone would leave you thinking that it is set in stone that Mamare did Tax Evade on purpose.
It doesn't help that he had set up a company (m2ladeJAM) to probably help with things, as that slants public opinion pretty badly.

That explanation works for ZUN's case since he hadn't gone fully commercial; unfortunately, Mamare did (even if m2ladeJAM only was a paper company at best), so he can't use that explanation even if it was the truth.

The crazy thing is that given the tone and message of Log Horizon there is indeed a non-zero chance it pissed off someone at the japanese upper crust.

japanese government did 9/11

was this posted by someone who is suitably placed to have a good read on the charges with the little information that is actually available, or was it some dude on the internet who happens to speak japanese?

also m2ladeJAM haha that's amazing

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It was the same dude in the 3 quotes and he did admit he was going all paranoid conspiracy nut, yes.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Kyte posted:

I know very little about Japan, but what in this show would piss off the Japanese government? It seems super unoffensive to anyone not living in an actual feudal monarchy.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

I know very little about Japan, but what in this show would piss off the Japanese government? It seems super unoffensive to anyone not living in an actual feudal monarchy.

The extremely right wing sections of Japan are very interesting, to put it mildly.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Artificer posted:

The extremely right wing sections of Japan are very interesting, to put it mildly.

Feel like elaborating? If they're anything like the villains in this show that's something I'd wanna hear more about.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

XboxPants posted:

Feel like elaborating? If they're anything like the villains in this show that's something I'd wanna hear more about.

Also, that'd make them almost as silly as their American counterparts for getting mad over a TV show

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

Also, that'd make them almost as silly as their American counterparts for getting mad over a TV show

Excuse me while I write an extremely angry letter and attempt to defame the creators of Kratt's Creatures on PBS because it promotes environmentalism.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

XboxPants posted:

I don't know if it has changed recently or why they would get pissed at this show, but there were prominent politicians that sometimes denied Japanese atrocities ever happened, censored textbooks regarding those atrocities, are still very pro-war and xenophobic, or any number of things that would relate them well to the hardest right the American political system has to offer.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Artificer posted:

I don't know if it has changed recently or why they would get pissed at this show, but there were prominent politicians that sometimes denied Japanese atrocities ever happened, censored textbooks regarding those atrocities, are still very pro-war and xenophobic, or any number of things that would relate them well to the hardest right the American political system has to offer.

Light novel author gets accused of tax evasion----> Conspiracy orchestrated by Nanjing deniers as revenge for the mmo economics anime

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Sorry I just have fun reading conspiracy theories. v:v:v

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

What problem would right wing politicians have with a guy who writes books in which most problems are solved by the free market?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Dzhay posted:

What problem would right wing politicians have with a guy who writes books in which most problems are solved by the free market?
"Right wing" can mean different things in non-US contexts. Nationalism and free markets aren't inextricably linked. Groups like France's National Front or Britain's BNP are nationalist, but also economically leftist, or at least very pro-welfare state. From what I remember, the BNP wants all capital to be nationalized and controlled by local workers' councils.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

dotJPG posted:

Light novel author gets accused of tax evasion----> Conspiracy orchestrated by Nanjing deniers as revenge for the mmo economics anime

I never said that. There's just some crazy poo poo from the Japanese politicians sometimes, same as everywhere else really.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Looks like there was no grand conspiracy after all, the dude just straight up didn't pay what he owed.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-04-15/log-horizon-author-mamare-touno-issues-statement-regarding-tax-evasion-charges/.87136

quote:

Log Horizon and MAOYU light novel author Mamare Touno issued a statement on his official website on Monday in response to the reports of his tax evasion charges.

His statement reads:

To my readers and all concerned parties,

The Tokyo Regional Taxation Bureau notfied me about the investigation on my tax reports, and I cooperated with their investigation. I have filed and paid my back taxes and completed the necessary paperwork, and so the Bureau has concluded their investigation. I've since given this incident a great deal of thought, and will endeavor to avoid such an incident in future. I sincerely apologize for having troubled and worried my readers and all concerned parties.

m2ladeJAM Ltd.
Representative Director, Umezu Daisuke (Pen name: Mamae Touno)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Dzhay posted:

I thought about this more and it could be a territorial thing. Like, maybe it's not the best idea to use real-world locations and portray Osaka and Sapporo as wretched dens of villainous, human trafficking savages who can only be saved by the wise civilized governors of Tokyo. And the Kunie could also easily be seen as any number of powerful real-world groups, and if you're a crazy person you could be insulted by that portrayal.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
dude just had 30 mil yen lying around?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

He had 100 mil lying around, specifically the money he didn't pay taxes on.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tamba posted:

He had 100 mil lying around, specifically the money he didn't pay taxes on.

I had no idea light novels sold so well in Japan.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Post anime adaptation Log Horizon is averaging about 40-50k sales per volume, it probably sold a bit less before that. That's good enough to put it at #10 in the LN sales ranking for 2014, with 376,830 total.

#1 was Mahouka, with 1,599,614 total sales.

Being in the top 30 is basically a guaranteed anime adaptation these days, only 2 or 3 of the top 30 titles don't have one as of this season, I think.

aers fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 15, 2015

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

aers posted:

Post anime adaptation Log Horizon is averaging about 40-50k sales per volume, it probably sold a bit less before that. That's good enough to put it at #10 in the LN sales ranking for 2014, with 376,830 total.

#1 was Mahouka, with 1,599,614 total sales.

Being in the top 30 is basically a guaranteed anime adaptation these days, only 2 or 3 of the top 30 titles don't have one as of this season, I think.

But how much yen is that?

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Uh the volumes are 1k retail. So 376 million retail from Log Horizon in 2014, feel free to take completely random guesses at how much of that he got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Repster
Nov 29, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

But how much yen is that?

If 1 book goes for the equivalent of 10$ US that's about 1200 yen each, so at 376 000... 451 200 000 yen.

So yeah, having his taxes he just forgot to pay or something around is quite possible.

100 mil yen is "only" 840 grand.

• Locked thread