Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!

Kampfbereit posted:

I agree with everyone who wanted this to be on HBO. I get the feeling that some network suit demanded that John has to be an exorcist and pal around with angels fighting demons. This is pretty far from the comics.

I'm hoping that this is just the team having to play it safe for the first few episodes to make sure it can get an audience (And to a certain extent, it feels like its trying to appeal to an American audience.) before becoming more faithful later.

I'd love to see Constantine return to London at some point or see if they'll tackle some of the more "difficult" storylines (such as Constantine dealing with a bunch of Neo-Nazi's) but there's not much to go on with just a pilot which usually play it safe anyway. That said, Matt Ryan is basically Constantine so they got that bit correct at least!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

The show seems really in-love with portraying the supernatural and not exploring the human component of the supernatural beyond "wah I don't wanna get tortured by a monster."

Well there's a great example of the supernatural in the case of the Neo-Nazi's. When John killed them with a golem created from the corpse of a arms dealer that sold them Israeli weapons. Which is fantastic punishment.

That being said, that version would be so neutered but it'd still be amazing to see in some way on the small screen. Most of the Azzarello "Constantine in the USA" run was amazing but I can imagine most of it would be difficult to get past a network head without some serious alterations.

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Not sure if this has come up in the thread yet but a quick PSA to everyone from the UK who wants to watch this in a legal manner.

Somehow, it looks like Amazon UK has the rights to Constantine and are putting it up on Prime Instant Video about the same time as its broadcast in the US. Which quite frankly is amazing and I wish it would be done more.

• Locked thread