Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
What's the point of wearing a tie if it's so loose it serves no function.

I thought was a pretty good episode for a network version of the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

You know drat well it is.

Which is weird because John calls her out for being Latina in a white-as-gently caress part of the Mid-Atlantic. I'm chalking it up to the producers being piss-scared of a main character who isn't white or token and asking her to "tone it down."

-----------------

I liked this episode well-enough that Constnatine still gets to ride the wave of goodwill I have for it. Matt Ryan is still far and away the high point and I hope that this show's probable cancellation won't be the end of his career. I like Zed well enough so far, especially since they managed to make the stupid "person has dreams of someone and draws tons of pictures of them (and they happen to involve a lot of old comic art)" cliche work well enough.

That said this episode felt really goddamn aimless. I just watched Constantine drift from set to set and character to character without much sense of progress beyond what Constantine was telling me the progress was, ultimately ending back with the wife and I was like "oh so that's the villain; wait why the hell are they the villain what did I miss?"
I thought that last bit was very loyal to Constantine's actions in the comic books. He doesn't run in (magical) guns blazing but often has to casually approach the antagonist, let her (or him) think they've tricked him and got the upper hand, and then he pulls out the revelation and/or incantation to take them down.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Hellblazer isn't always a mess, Constantine can turn on the charm and is often portrayed in clean clothes put on correctly.

muscles like this? posted:

Something I thought was kind of weird is that it really felt like it was originally written with the series or at least this episode taking place in England, all the Welsh stuff and the Episcopalian (Anglican) priest.

All in all I did like this episode better than the first. Less time spent on set up meant the episode was paced better. There were some good character moments (like John and the frozen dinner) and Zed feels like a much better female lead. Mostly because they set her up to be mostly on a similar level as John, instead of just a walking damsel in distress.

Since he's in the USA it would be great to have an episode in Louisiana with John encountering Abby and referring to Swamp Thing. That would have to come later in the season with higher stakes involved, or part of an ongoing storyline with longer time span.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Pwnstar posted:

The only problem I really have with Constantine's outfit is that it looks really fresh and clean, like he probably does actually have a wardrobe full of the same clothes all ready and pre-ironed.

Yes that would be neat (pun intended). There's so much of Hellblazer to unpack it will be interesting to see how John's backstory plays out and his other friends are introduced.

I guess a big reason to avoid Swampy is that the series is already subversive enough by tackling 'religion' without adding that strange supernatural being. However the whole issue could be sidestepped by having him encounter an other powerful nature-based "elemental".

Also - I haven't read Swamp Thing in decades, thanks for posting the pages and reminding me of the beautiful artwork and crazy fun noises he made when manifesting. WOOG WOOG POPA DAK VEET FNICT.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
They should only show him smoking for the 2 5 Cancer storyline

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

DOOP posted:

hahaha Anarchy in the UK

show owns
Yeah that elevated an already very good ep. Just watched it today (Saturday) and it really rang true for me because on Friday afternoon when I was tired at work I listened to The Jam, Clash and Gang of 4 to tune out the hellish production floor noise and get energized.
And I remember Constantine's band Mucous Membrane being mentioned in the comic book but it would take hours to dig through the old issues and find it.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

bobkatt013 posted:

TheJoker138 posted:

It gets mentioned a lot in the early issues. Both in the comics and in the fake news pieces at the end of issues. And the first annual ended with a "music video" for one of their songs.
It was mentioned in issue one as his buddy that got hooked on flies was the drummer. Then again they were a major part of Newcastle.

Man that brings back memories. There was no Youtube back then but now there's this...tribute I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV6Sl_u1s3M

Now I'm feeling nostalgic for some old, raw Psychedelic Furs LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbbz0svHpNw

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Nov 9, 2014

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Speaking of unbelievable, and I'm surprised I even have to request this: can someone please post a screengrab or gif of Papa Midnight's voodoo doll of Constantine?
Thanks.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Another really good episode. I am really enjoying the writers using and adapting the major comic book characters and storylines into this weekly procedural tv format.

Require More Fire posted:

I always felt like the film was a really good movie, but a poor adaptation of Hellblazer. Like if they had called it Keanu's Satanist Adventure and his character wasn't named Constantine, I'd have no complaints about it.

I prefer to think of Reeves' character as Jack Constantine, John's American cousin. That way I can watch the movie without griping about the (lack of) accent, etc.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

If I had to hazard a wild guess, I'd say it's because Constantine lacks the...prestige? I think Hannibal got away with what it did early on because of its pedigree, and then its critical success carried it from there.

I think it's because Constantine is already edgy enough by portraying the darker aspects of Christianity. That's a high-wire tightrope to balance on. There have been Xian shows (Touched By An Angel), and supernatural shows, and there are a lot of unsettling images in police procedurals, but I'm sure the network doesn't want to incur the wrath of hardline Christian groups.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Late to post on a great episode and I take back my earlier dislike of John's always-loosened tie. Now I really like it and see it as part of his character: "This is how I wear a tie if you don't like it sod off ya git, I have souls to save".

Really glad that no time was wasted getting Corrigan to believe something supernatural was happening. It's a wonderful contrast to Grimm where the principles are always trying to cover and pretend that the crime of the week does not involve any supernatural elements to have John and his crew come out and say "we're investigating paranormal activity so either join us or get out of the way".

And the play between Constantine and Papa Midnight is fantastic. If John's an anti-hero, Papa is an anti-villain and the various deep conflicts between them have been fascinating and need to be explored more during this march to the inevitable Big Dark Evil or whatever that will force them to work together.

And I'm on board the Zed train, she's a complex character and good counterpoint to John's dark attitude.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Should have named the series Constantine Supernatural Investigations because the viewing public seems to never get enough CSI shows.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

alarumklok posted:

Although it was pretty well executed, the last episode was generic evilkid with telekinetic abilities poo poo, and I think they squandered an opportunity to show something unique coming off of the free (admittedly short bit of) publicity from the parade. It's rather unfortunate that they had to shift this episode farther down the lineup so they could introduce Zed in broadcast ep02, because it definitely feels like a second episode quality to me.
I thought the twist that the 'Evil Entity' Constantine was first looking for, turned out to be the soul of a still-living man and he had to change tactics to resolve the problem. But I agree, it could have been done better.
It was fun to see him enter the kid's home as a school counsellor wearing a properly-knotted tie that was completely out of character for him.

Favourite scene was the last one: In the background, kids are playing on the street during Halloween and we see John leaning against a car drinking a beer and lighting a cigarette.

Desperado Bones posted:

The TV IV > Constantine (NBC Fridays at 10) - PLEASE, WATCH OR YOUR SOUL WILL BURN IN HELL FOREVER.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Constantine is on before Grimm, as foretold in the Aetherial Grimoire. My world Friday night has turned upside down!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Constantine lighting up with a church candle is the best.

I really liked this episode overall, it was one of the better episodes this season. Next one should be good too given it has Corrigan and Midnite back again.

That, and
Manny: "I don't know how you get anything done."
Constantine: "A little bit of denial, a whole lot of gin."

and of course using a cattle prod on Chazz. Because, what are friends for LOL.

Along with the acting and storyline, what's been great is that every episode has several scenes or camera shots that look like comic panels.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 7, 2015

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Delano Street!

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Feb 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
The big mistake was not including Swamp Thing :(