Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kampfbereit
Sep 6, 2011

Desperado Bones posted:

If you mean Ritchie,that wasn't his comic version*, but I'm curious because it looked familiar.

*edit: In his comic version he looks all 80's nerdy with his ponytail and huge 80's glasses.

To be fair to Richie, it was the 80's.
IIRC, he was into some Gibsonian "demons live on the internet" thing, rather than "I'm checking forums for weird news". In the comics John sacrifices him to the net-demons by disconnecting his EEG-modem, trapping him forever inside the net.

I agree with everyone who wanted this to be on HBO. I get the feeling that some network suit demanded that John has to be an exorcist and pal around with angels fighting demons. This is pretty far from the comics. In the Gabriel arc, the archangel is such a monumental rear end in a top hat that John gets his succubus friend to seduce him, causing him to fall from grace with god, and then chainsaws his wings off in a graveyard. The last time we see the archangel, he is a homeless bum in London.

His incantations were pretty terrible as well. "The sacred cross commands you, the star of David commands you"? What kind of entry-level demonologist would say that with a straight face?

Tonally, the comics are closer to Louie than Buffy the Vampire Slayer. John might spend an entire issue playing bingo with a hooker, talking to an old guy about the war, or remembering his childhood bullying. It would probably be difficult to convince the supernatural audience to watch an aging man cough up his lungs for an entire season, so I get why the network went this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kampfbereit
Sep 6, 2011

Venmoch posted:

it feels like its trying to appeal to an American audience.
Yup. This is understandable from a US network TV perspective, but I think there has to be a more interesting way of doing it. And if they have to set it in the US, there is that long arc in Azzarello's run that could last for years on TV. Although maybe organized hillbilly dogfucking conspiracies are frowned upon by TV executives.

That bloodstained map is a bad omen, it looks like they are setting up a very formulaic "demon of the week". And I'm incredibly tired of Ye Olde Hidden Library With Ye Leather-bound Books Of Ancient Knowledge And Plot Expository Devices. "So, it looks like the Pittsburgh demon is Fnurzifer, he controls traffic, and he's allergic to nuts. I wonder if we can lure him to the abandoned nut packing plant?"

The last scene with the lighter fluid was, apart from the corny 1980's street gang, more in line with the comics. John is a con artist who uses parlor tricks and mind games to get what he wants, not a power cable exorcist.

Poor Alan Moore, I can imagine him tearing up yet another check with a lot of zeroes on it.

Kampfbereit
Sep 6, 2011

A_Ruse! posted:

This first episode was pretty watchable. As a recent first time reader of the first few collections of Hellblazer, I'm not really sure we can except a faithful adaption. As the post I'm quoting notes, a lot of it was rather slow-burning heavy handed "lol gently caress thatcher" satire. The build up of those slow-burn issues MADE the occasional rear end in a top hat trickster out devils-the-devil stuff awesome, but mainstream TV can't sustain that episode to episode without getting dull and/or cheapening the effect. I'm just hoping to see quasi-John do the cool Hellblazer stuff once in awhile, without too much bad TV poo poo getting in the way.

Yeah, I totally understand why they can't be 100% faithful to the comic timeline. It's like Hannibal, the lead is too young to have had the same history as the original character (unless they somehow explain that he's actually 50+ years old but due to The Sacred Macguffin he looks younger). And most of the early brit-political stuff might be a bit boring or confusing to the general US audience, as awesome as they are.

The extremely long story lines don't lend themselves to network TV either, I suppose. Like how the aforementioned Neo-nazi story actually started back when John was a young punk con-artist in the 70's, and then continued throughout Azzarello's entire run. That story line alone would take several seasons of TV.

Still, it would be a shame if they just turned Constantine into another run-of-the-mill paranormal show. If is infinitely more fun to see an rear end in a top hat con-artist pit demons against each other and scam Satan.

I wish I was you, reading the TPBs for the first time. The early ones are terrific, but they get even better as they roped in better writers and artists (until the new 52, when it turned into absolute unreadable garbage for mongoloids). The spinoffs are really good as well (Chas, Lady Constantine, Papa Midnite).

Kampfbereit
Sep 6, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I find it mildly amusing that John would bother to have a driver's licence.

He wouldn't, as he can't drive, which is why Chas has to drive him everywhere. But that is in the comics, he's probably a baptist NASCAR Marine here.

(Also, John would never allow himself to be pickpocketed, especially by someone he thinks is going to steal his wallet.)

Why does he explain his coal mining knowledge by saying he grew up in Liverpool? There are no coal mines in Liverpool AFAIK. Can any UK goons confirm/deny?

Kampfbereit
Sep 6, 2011

Phylodox posted:

Now I want to see Preacher on CBS.

Yes, but as payback for everything US TV has done, Preacher will be produced by BBC and renamed "Vicar". It will feature an old effete Church of England vicar, driving around the British countryside in an ice cream van, solving minor crimes relating to antiques or cricket. Six episodes per season. Will never be cancelled.
OK, so it's not exactly like Preacher, but the basic premise is the same!

• Locked thread