Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Harold Perrineau seems to be approaching Phil Lamar / Sam Jackson levels of "I'm in every loving thing", but for television instead of voice acting and movies, respectively.

The dude who plays Constantine did the voice acting and motion capture for Edward Kenway (the main guy) from rear end Creed: Black Flag, too.

There's an IGN article with an interview with the showrunner, and it's kind of... ugh. He did the first season of Dexter, and thought of Dexter as the same type of "super hero" Constantine is. He says there's pretty much no chance of any sort of crossovers with other heroes (Swamp Thing specifically mentioned) because he's going for something more grounded. He says he can't show smoking, but wants to still use the cancer plot, and is playing with the idea of cuts with a cigarette up to his lips, etc., and how much he can get away with without actually showing him inhale.

... Personally, it didn't seem like he really gets Constantine, and I'm not really sure why he is doing this. This really needs to be on a channel that is going to let them play without kid gloves (we don't need a child loving a dog like in Hellblazer, but, hey). I think this show will end up being very similar to Supernatural.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Gyges posted:

Now I'm not the most familiar with Constantine, but how in the gently caress does battling the supernatural and demons while having a running tiff with Lucifer count as grounded? I can sort of understand Swamp Thing, maybe, because that can get a little tripy depending on where you go with it, but no other heroes? Can't get the rights or don't want to be bothered getting them I can understand, but not our demon fighting magician show is just too serious for that kind of thing.

Oh, no, dude. Those are explicitly his words. I'd prefer balls out crazy.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/22/constantine-showrunner-talks-dc-comics-origins-swamp-thing-and-smoking
"But look, if you saw that thing on TV or in a movie, are you going to buy into it or you going to look at it and go, “That’s just silly.” And that’s the challenge and more than anything, our goal, the reason Constantine works as a character is he’s grounded

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Reading the showrunner's comments, I'm not even sure why he even bothered. I don't really get the passion from him that's like, "I pitched this show in 2003 and I've been trying ever since", or "I read all of Constantine and I need to share his story and see this in motion" or anything. It's just more like, "this show could be like Dexter".

I really, really think Constantine needs to be on like HBO (I understand this is kind of a cliché thing to say) to really breathe.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I feel like Matt Ryan is really killing it, too. That exorcism on the roof was pretty drat passionate, I think.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Venmoch posted:

I'm hoping that this is just the team having to play it safe for the first few episodes to make sure it can get an audience (And to a certain extent, it feels like its trying to appeal to an American audience.) before becoming more faithful later.

I'd love to see Constantine return to London at some point or see if they'll tackle some of the more "difficult" storylines (such as Constantine dealing with a bunch of Neo-Nazi's) but there's not much to go on with just a pilot which usually play it safe anyway. That said, Matt Ryan is basically Constantine so they got that bit correct at least!

Yeah. When I saw it took place in Atlanta it was like... really? One thing they could borrow from Supernatural is the travel aspect.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Hakkesshu posted:

The outfit looks real loving bad in my opinion. Like no one would actually wear that outside of Comic-Con

You know when he was covered in oil and just reappeared in the same outfit complete with super-loose tie? That was pretty bad. It's iconic, but if he just wore a Clash t-shirt and dad jeans or whatever I wouldn't have minded. The super loose tie and wrinkled shirt and stuff work if you think he's been wearing the same thing for a few days, but to put it on like that kind of made me roll my eyes.

To think that he intends to wear that same outfit every episode forever is funny and a little stupid, I think.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The showrunner confirmed that Swamp Thing will never be on this show, though. And a nice cleaned up suit would've been nice after the oil thing.

It kind of reminds me of Plinkett's review of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, where someone says what an icon Indiana Jones is, but then Plinkett brings up the point of why he had to wear the same outfit. Indiana Jones is my Star Wars, I'll be the first to admit he's an icon, but it is kind of funny to wear the suit like a uniform. John is on-screen like 90% of the time in this show, I'd still loving recognize him in a t-shirt, guys. He doesn't need to wear the trench and stuff all the goddamn time.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

muscles like this? posted:

It's not like John wears an elaborate costume, he wears a white shirt and a tie.

While this is true, it's the same shirt and tie. Not even a different color. And it's done in a way that looks like he's trying to recover from a bender, even though he put it on that way.

I really hope the show changes it's mind about Swamp Thing, because mind the walrus' post makes me want to read every goddamn issue.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Some of that art is incredible. I really love the one where the panels make up his face.

Also, the best werewolf transformations are when they tear through the skin and leave it a husk. I swear I saw this in a movie recently, but can't remember where.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
http://screenrant.com/constantine-tv-show-justice-league-dark-swamp-thing/
This is a separate interview that says that they'd eventually want Ryan's Constantine in a Dark Justice League, and talks some other DC crossovers. It even hints that they may well do Swamp Thing, but not Season 1. So there is hope after all.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Sorry for more Swamp Thing Chat, but was that old television series close to the source material? It went like 100+ episodes I thought. I have very, very vague memories of watching it as a child.

Actor/stuntman Dick Durock, who played Dr. Alec Holland (Swamp Thing) in both films, reprised his role for the more serious-toned TV series. He wore a modified version of Carl Fullerton and Neal Martz's latex suit created for The Return of Swamp Thing, and he spoke in an electronically altered basso profundo.[1] Since his profuse sweating caused the lip and eye prosthetics to fall off while shooting the previous films, Durock simply had makeup applied in those areas for his television costume. "In the first feature it took close to four hours. In the second feature it took close to two hours. By the time we did the series, which ironically was by far the best makeup and costume, we had it down to about 45 minutes," he recalled.

Durock worked twelve hours a day, six days a week for 50 straight episodes without a break. In addition to the burden of wearing an 80-pound costume, the schedule required him to learn ten pages of dialogue each day. "I don't think this has ever been done before in the history of Hollywood where a guy wore a costume for that amount of time," Durock noted in a 2008 interview. However, he also recited the schedule as "two shows a week, three days each show, ten pages of dialogue a day. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, and at the end of the day they hand you another thirty pages." This may allude to the schedule after the rigorous first 50 episodes. What's more, Durock stressed that "I had no experience as an actor at all, other than playing on Rockford Files and a zillion other shows, but not as an 'actor' actor per se."

Dude was a loving soldier for the production, though.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
He... he was smoking.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The last three episodes have been closer to what I expected this series to be like. I really liked John lighting up in a church using a candle.

Rumour has it that SyFy is going to pick up the show and rename it Hellblazer.

E: Whoops, guess I should've read the thread. Sorry!

Some of the writing in this show is so goddamn bad, though. So much of the dialogue is:
C: *says a witty thing, turns with a sense of urgency to go do A Thing*
Anyone Else: John!
C: *can't be bothered, half-answers a question, demands results*

You could seriously make a drinking game with how many times characters put their hand on Constantine's shoulder as he is walking away and yell "John!", and once you see it, it's hard to unsee.

Also, check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA1SmYAQRDQ&t=85s , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MQINpiYRPw "The Soul Play" in particular is better than any episode of this show.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
What a neutered attempt at this character. Towards the end the leash had a little slack on it, but man what a gently caress-up. DC really needs to up their TV game... maybe take some hints from Daredevil. Ryan was very watchable as John, I think, and I hope they do like a Dark Justice League take with him in it but I wouldn't hold my breath. I think the crowning moment of the show was the TV dinner at the wake.

• Locked thread