Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Why look for weird ancient species when we already have one which is older than frigging dinosaurs lurking about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuatara

The tuatara is the only remaining member of the Rhynchocephalia order, which flourished 200 million years ago.

It also has three eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

As intelligent as the normal sized ones are, a gargantuan squid or octopus would probably be way beyond humanity. Probably hiding from us because it's been watching us from the deep for the past century and decided we're crazy.

Cephalopods generally have incredibly short lifespans, even the huge ones.

A Giant Pacific Octopus only lives to be about three years old.

Giant Squid statocysts have been measured and they only live to be about five years old.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

does anyone know about that malaysian or philippino or madagascan or something baboon-bat creature thing that's really foul-smelling and is invisible to those who don't believe in it and subsequently goes around assfucking those people

i mean it sounds like textbook and hilarious mass hysteria i just can't remember its name

The Killing Jelq
Jun 13, 2012

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

does anyone know about that malaysian or philippino or madagascan or something baboon-bat creature thing that's really foul-smelling and is invisible to those who don't believe in it and subsequently goes around assfucking those people

i mean it sounds like textbook and hilarious mass hysteria i just can't remember its name

Popabawa

http://www.skeptic.com/podcasts/monstertalk/12/08/08/

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Popabpwa was also discussed on ep. 4 of The Dollop, which is a pretty funny podcast.

chickie nugs for brekkie
May 17, 2010
So is it just me or does Spring-Heeled Jack sound like one or more rapists and child molesters with a knack for exploiting people's superstitions?

Though that page led me to my favorite phenomenon, the Devil's Footprints.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil%27s_Footprints

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh boy, footprints. Bigfoot hunters love posting photos of giant footprints through the snow like these with captions like "WHAT ELSE COULD HAVE MADE THESE BUT A BIGFOOT??!??"

Compare that to these confirmed moose prints:

When moose move at a certain speed they overstep their footprints and their back hooves land almost exactly where the front hooves landed so it looks like the tracks of a huge bipedal creature rather than a known quadruped.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Maybe those "moose" prints are actually Bigfoot prints as well???

Maybe the moose IS Bigfoot???

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
I always liked bigfoot and through the years always wondered maybe. Every time some announcement comes up with proof like those cops with the freezer bigfoot in Georgia. Around the time Melba ketchups bigfoot DNA, surprise suprise it turned out to be nothing, I got sucked into the whole debate at https://www.bigfootforums.com. I don't know why really. Lots of the believers are nuts who think bigfoot speaks to them telepathically, has coyote or raven pets, or are the nephailim from the Old Testament. Lots of believers, or knowers for the upper echelon club who claim to be witness's to bigfoot, can be somewhat rational but can't seem to process all the signs pointing to no live creature. As in thousands of sightings all over continental North America but no physical evidence.

The one bit of evidence that hasn't been easily explained away is the Patterson gimlin film. Both skeptics an believers claim they have evidence or proof of its authenticity/forgery but no nails in the coffin have been nailed down. This rear end in a top hat Bill Munns is the current champion of the film with a published "scientific" paper on Jeff Meldrum's online scientific bigfoot journal. Meldrums the bigfoot scientist with an actual pee H dee. http://www.isu.edu/rhi/pdf/Munns-%20Meldrum%20Final%20draft.pdf

Munns also self published a book selling on amazon claimed by many to be the final word on the subject.
http://www.amazon.com/When-Roger-Patty-William-Munns/dp/1500534021

I've wasted far too much time on something I don't even believe in.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I worked at a Toys R Us back in college when I learned what a popobawa was.

I was stocking the shelves one morning, refilling a section for some cartoon called the amazing saturdays or whatever, when I noticed a small, plain white sticker covering part of an advertisement for the other toys in the line. The sticker covered up the image of a toy "popobawa," and each package was covered in kind. Two minutes of googling solved the mystery as to why it was covered up and removed from the line. I'm still curious as to how it got a pass for the show; apparently most of its exposure was canned but it is briefly shown in the opening credits of the cartoon.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme has a new favorite as of 07:57 on Jan 20, 2015

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Strangely enough, when the shaky-cam footage is stabilized, it just looks like a guy in a gorilla suit, which is what it was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patterson%E2%80%93Gimlin_film

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

I've wasted far too much time on something I don't even believe in.

Now you can study the case of the Tibetan yeti. I watched a very interesting documentary investigating it. Hair samples analysis seem to confirm it's indeed an Isabelline bear, the largest animal in the region and the bear who climbs the highest.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Medieval Medic posted:

Lol at the picture they use in that link at the bottom 'Explanation'. It was taken in my country (nowhere near the US) during a rash of chupacabra 'sightings' from about 2001-2006 with a lovely cellphone camera. It was probably a stray dog.

From the first page, but that was actually a photoshop that originated from a "photoshop spooky things into pictures" thread here from around 03-04 or so :corsair:

EDIT: the picture for Hungry Grass looks like a Plants vs. Zombies powerup or something

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 10:54 on Jan 20, 2015

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

From the first page, but that was actually a photoshop that originated from a "photoshop spooky things into pictures" thread here from around 03-04 or so :corsair:

EDIT: the picture for Hungry Grass looks like a Plants vs. Zombies powerup or something

quote:

In Irish mythology, Hungry Grass (Irish: féar gortach;) also known as Fairy Grass, is a cursed patch of grass. Anyone walking on it was doomed to perpetual and insatiable hunger and a permanent state of weakness.

mmm; sounds like :420: actually

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I checked archives and the Make authentic looking alien photoshops' thread from 2004 was actually inspired by an earlier thread discussing the 'alien' photo. Looks like it didn't originate from here after all. :(

Dammit, you got me all excited. That photo has been featured on UFO websites and TV shows for a solid decade and I would have laughed my rear end off if it'd been a SA photoshop.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Say Nothing posted:

Why look for weird ancient species when we already have one which is older than frigging dinosaurs lurking about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuatara

The tuatara is the only remaining member of the Rhynchocephalia order, which flourished 200 million years ago.

It also has three eyes.

They have a bunch of these guys on display near the bridge going through the middle of Kelburn campus. They're absolutely stone-still for hours, but they can move fast. I saw a staff member trying to catch one so he could show it off on an open day. Little bastard looked like he went from 0 to 60 in a heartbeat. You don't think of them as being very mobile, but goddam they can move.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Internet Kraken posted:

Don't really have to say it.

I guess the kraken is sort of "real" in the sense that every sighting of it was probably a giant or colossal squid, which are loving huge.

A species we know very little about since it lives in the deep sea. Most information about it comes from dissection of remains that wash up on shore. They've also been able to estimate the size of colossal squid based on only on the beaks fished out of the stomachs of sperm whales. But observing one live is an extreme rarity, as is the case for many deep sea species.The deep sea is really cool because we still know so little about it and many of the creatures that inhabit it. Naturally people have dreamed up all sorts of nightmare monsters that live there.

The kid in me still hopes that there is an impossibly huge cephalopod out there somewhere though.

Despite our idea of "Kraken attacking galleons and other huge vessels" I personally reckon that the stories are much more handed down from when your average fishing ship was quite small and accidentally hauling in a giant squid would pose a pretty big issue and create stories of sea monsters breaking ships in two etc..

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I checked archives and the Make authentic looking alien photoshops' thread from 2004 was actually inspired by an earlier thread discussing the 'alien' photo. Looks like it didn't originate from here after all. :(

Dammit, you got me all excited. That photo has been featured on UFO websites and TV shows for a solid decade and I would have laughed my rear end off if it'd been a SA photoshop.

Aw drat, guess my memory's failing me in my old age

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

Say Nothing posted:

Strangely enough, when the shaky-cam footage is stabilized, it just looks like a guy in a gorilla suit, which is what it was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patterson%E2%80%93Gimlin_film

What baffles my mind is the people that claim that there is no way that a human could walk that way or no way that a gorilla suit could have so much detail. It is like people think the late sixties were the dark ages.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The best fake cryptid is still the Hodag

wikipedia posted:

In 1893, newspapers reported the discovery of a Hodag in Rhinelander, Wisconsin. It had "the head of a frog, the grinning face of a giant elephant, thick short legs set off by huge claws, the back of a dinosaur, and a long tail with spears at the end". The reports were instigated by well-known Wisconsin land surveyor, timber cruiser and prankster Eugene Shepard, who rounded up a group of local people to capture the animal. The group reported that they needed to use dynamite to kill the beast.

A photograph of the remains of the charred beast was released to the media. It was "the fiercest, strangest, most frightening monster ever to set razor sharp claws on the earth. It became extinct after its main food source, all white bulldogs, became scarce in the area."

Shepard claimed to have captured another Hodag in 1896, and this one was captured alive. According to Shepard's reports, he and several bear wrestlers placed chloroform on the end of a long pole, which they worked into the cave of the creature where it was overcome.

He displayed this Hodag at the first Oneida County fair. Thousands of people came to see the Hodag at the fair or at Shepard's display in a shanty at his house. Having connected wires to it, Shepard would occasionally move the creature, which would typically send the already-skittish viewers fleeing the display.

As newspapers locally, statewide, and then nationally began picking up the story of the apparently remarkable, living creature, a small group of scientists from the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C. announced they would be traveling to Rhinelander to inspect the apparent discovery. Their mere announcement spelled the end, as Shepard was then forced to admit that the Hodag was a hoax.

I'm from Rhinelander and it is still the city mascot.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krasue

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

As seen on this wacky Thai ad for lightbulbs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntTq1rop8IE

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

As seen on this wacky Thai ad for lightbulbs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntTq1rop8IE

Cultural note. They changed the translation for the Dad's response because it relies on a local idiom. Jackfruit Ghost is slang for street prostitute. This came about because of a rather infamous row of Jackfruit trees where they would ply their trade and "mysteriously" disappear every time a cop car rolled around.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Heh. Jackfruit. I get it.

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004

RaceBannon posted:

What baffles my mind is the people that claim that there is no way that a human could walk that way or no way that a gorilla suit could have so much detail. It is like people think the late sixties were the dark ages.

The gait thing has sort of been put to rest. These guys at Stanford were able to approximate it.
http://videos.howstuffworks.com/discovery/30761-best-evidence-bigfoot-gait-analysis-video.htm

People who believe in bigfoot think the figure is extraordinary and impossible to be replicated by a suit. A talking point used is if it was a fake why hasn't it been replicated?

People who don't believe in bigfoot think it's an obvious fake and even so far as to say a bad fake.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

RaceBannon posted:

What baffles you is that mental illness and cognitive dissonance are things existing.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Some people argued that the bigfoot in the Patterson footage was too large to be a human.

Andre The Giant, by the way.

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!
Nightcrawler

quote:

Possible Explanations:

A pair of white pants being puppeted (this theory has some holes in it, a pair of pants 4 feet tall would be quite the pair indeed,and it would be very difficult to manipulate said pants to make them move the way they do in the videos.)

A pair of white pants brought to life by some unknown force

Nouvelle Vague has a new favorite as of 17:44 on Jan 21, 2015

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

The videos of this thing are cracking me up.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Oh poo poo, the video evidence is presented by one of those youtube guys who thinks he can 'enhance' blurry security cam footage and make finer details visible. I fuckin' love those guys.

Here's a still from the video. As he writes in the introduction: you be the judge!

Someone call the editor of New Scientist and tell him to hold the front page, we got a fuckin' Nightcrawler eye breakthrough here!! :v:

Similarly, here's an 8 minute youtube video where a guy 'enhances' the famous Patterson Gimlin bigfoot footage and 'discovers' that the creature has a hair braid! That guy has dozens of similar videos on his channel, his personal rabbit hole just keeps getting deeper and weirder and sadder.

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004

Say Nothing posted:

Some people argued that the bigfoot in the Patterson footage was too large to be a human.

Andre The Giant, by the way.

The thought now by most, even proponents, is that the figure was somewhere between 6' to 6'6".

What is held on to is arm length proportions, being out of the human range, as well as suit making technology not being sophisticated enough in 1967.

The former costume and make up artist bill Munns argues the lack of costume technology in his scientific paper. But he fails to provide any sources for this we are just supposed to assume he is an expert and knows better than us.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

It took me a solid 5 minutes to recover from laughing at that video. That's amazing.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Humans started with working with faux fur and it wasn't until we discovered things like deer and beavers in the 1980s that real fur took off. In the 1960s they couldn't even make the spacesuits look real for petes sake!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
:siren::siren: Shocking new evidence of the Nightcrawler has come to light!! :siren::siren:

Enhanced detail

• Locked thread