Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Tragedy Looper is a Japanese deduction board game. If you are unfamiliar with the setting and premise, read the 12-page comic downloadable here. If you don't know how to play, the rulebook is available here but there's a review of the finicky stuff in the second post.

This will be technically a 4 player game. Since I will be playing the part of the Mastermind, this is effectively a 3 player thread.

:siren: :siren: :siren: The script we will be using will be Script #1 from the board game box. If you've already played this script, seen it played, or simply want to save the surprises of the first training scenario for yourself, please do not volunteer for this thread. :siren: :siren: :siren:

If this goes well, there will be future threads for you. Maybe I'll even make up specific tragedies just for you!!

THREAD RULES
  • You MUST have PMs to play. No exceptions.
  • Do not edit your posts.
  • No out-of-thread communications.
  • You are expected to check in at least once per day. This is a training scenario and also a test for some of the processes I plan to use in future threads, so don't commit if you're not willing to hustle.
  • I totally accept COs/Preloads/Advance Plays just fine, especially if you think you won't be able to check in. That's totally cool.
  • This will be a PARTIALLY LIMITED COMMUNICATION game. Since it is effectively a training scenario, I will allow communication outside of the Time Spiral. However, you must play your cards discreetly and may not announce what you are playing. To play a card, post the character or location you're playing the card on in BSG-ese (bold with hashes, example: ##girl student would play a card on the Girl Student) and PM me the card you wish to play (it'd be helpful if you included the game name, Loop number, and Day in the PM subject line). My lenience with respect to communication is a privilege, so please don't abuse it.

To sign up, post "Just according to keikaku!" below.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

MAP

Restrictions relevant to this Script:

No restrictions.

No restrictions.

The Shrine Maiden may not enter this location.

The Office Worker may not enter this location.

Characters relevant to this Script:
Doctor (Paranoia Limit: 2) adult man
2 Goodwill: Add or remove 1 Paranoia from another character in same location. If the Doctor's role has Goodwill Refusal, the Mastermind can use this ability.

Shrine Maiden: (Paranoia Limit: 2) student girl
3 Goodwill: (In Shrine only) -1 Intrigue on Shrine.
5 Goodwill: (Once per loop) Reveal Role of character in same location.

Office Worker (Paranoia Limit: 2) adult man
3 Goodwill: Reveal own Role.

Police Officer (Paranoia Limit: 3) adult man
4 Goodwill: (Once per loop) Reveal Culprit for any Incident that has occurred.
5 Goodwill: (Once per loop) Use as an interrupt to prevent a character from dying in same location.

Boy Student (Paranoia Limit: 2) student boy
2 Goodwill: -1 Paranoia on student in same location.

Girl Student (Paranoia Limit: 3) student girl
2 Goodwill: -1 Paranoia on student in same location.

Incidents relevant to this Script:
Murder: 1 other character in culprit's location dies.
Suicide: The culprit dies.

Mastermind Cards Master List:
Vertical Movement
Horizontal Movement
Diagonal Movement (Once per loop)
Paranoia +1
Paranoia +1
Paranoia -1
Forbid Paranoia
Forbid Goodwill
Intrigue +1
Intrigue +2 (Once per loop)

Protagonist Cards Master List:
Paranoia +1
Paranoia -1 (Once per loop)
Goodwill +1
Goodwill +2 (Once per loop)
Forbid Intrigue (Fails if there is more than 1 Forbid Intrigue simultaneously played)
Vertical Movement
Horizontal Movement
Forbid Movement (Once per loop)

Day Structure:
  1. Day Start - Morning - Day Start effects may happen.
  2. Mastermind Actions - The Mastermind plays 3 cards facedown on characters/locations, but no more than 1 per character/location.
  3. Protagonist Actions - The Protagonists each play 1 card facedown on characters/locations for a total of 3 cards, but no more than 1 per character/location.
  4. Cards are Resolved - All cards are revealed, resolved, and returned to their respective owners, with the exception of Once Per Loop-limited cards.
  5. Mastermind Abilities - The Mastermind may have Abilities they can use at this point.
  6. Goodwill Abilities - The Leader declares which Goodwill Abilities she uses, and any targets. All Goodwill Abilities on the board that meet their requirement can be used once, unless they are a Once Per Loop-limited ability that has already been used. Mastermind resolves Goodwill Abilities and certain Roles may refuse to perform them (see: Goodwill Refusal on the cheat sheet).
  7. Incidents Occur - If there is an Incident scheduled, the Culprit possibly performs it.
  8. Leader Passes - Leader goes to the next player.
  9. Day End - Night - Day End effects may happen. After this, either go to the next Day or resolve Loop End.

The Basics (c/ped from Gutter Owl)
  • The object of the game is to uncover, then stop, the Mastermind's nefarious plots.
  • The Mastermind selects a script before the start of the game, describing several Plots, Hidden Roles, and Incidents. These provide her win conditions. (In addition, "Kill the Protagonists" is always a valid win condition.)
  • All of the elements of the script are drawn from a specific set of options, called a Tragedy Set, which is provided in full to the players.
  • The game is played over a set number of Loops, each consisting of a set number of Days (turns).
  • The Mastermind wins if she accomplishes a win condition in each and every Loop.
  • The Protagonists win if they can survive a single Loop unscathed.
  • Neither the Protagonists nor the Mastermind have pieces on the board. Rather, they play various cards on the Characters and Locations on the board each day.

Roles
  • Each character on the board is assigned a single hidden Role when the Script is chosen.
  • Roles may only be used in the exact quantity of the Plot and Subplot in play.
  • A character may have the "Person" role, which has no abilities or restrictions.
  • Generally, Roles (or Plots/Subplots overall) involve Intrigue.

Culprits and Incidents
  • Specific Incidents are scheduled during the game week. They are static and set when the Script is chosen.
  • Each Incident has a single, specific Culprit set when the Script is chosen.
  • A Culprit will only perform their Incident if they are panicking, that is to say, they have reached their Paranoia Limit.
  • Roles are independent of Culprits. A character may have a Role while also being a Culprit, a character may have a Role but not be a Culprit, a character may be a Person but also a Culprit, or a character may be a Person and not a Culprit.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 9, 2014

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

I'd really like a shot at this!
EDIT: Just according to keikaku! Need to read the whole post.
I decided I can't play this. I've watched a couple games of it. I'll be happy to watch this one too, though!

ActingPower fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 9, 2014

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I'll keep signups open until the third keikaku OR about a day or so (my whimsy provided), whichever is longer.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Hells yes.

Just according to keikaku!

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Nevermind

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
What the hell.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Surprised you're running Script 1, since script 1 already had a pbp on the forums. (Not gonna link it here, because that would just be too easy.)

Good luck, protagonists!

Aleator
Jun 27, 2011

I am nothing but a blade, waiting for the perfect time to end an ancient warrior's pride.
I've already seen script one a few times, so I'll be watching this one.

Gutter Owl posted:

Good luck, protagonists!

Except Stelas who keeps closing his signups right before I find out about them. :argh:

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010
Well, I haven't played this yet, so...

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Translator's note: keikaku means plan.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I see that BL is also a fan of the original "RoopeR". God bless the Japanese and their inability to use/translate the letter l properly.

I have also played this first case already, and as such I will be interested in seeing how all of you fare!

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Random.org has spoken. Our protagonists will be

Smartphone app: Indolent Bastard (starting Leader)
Antique watch: Arrion
Diary: Crackbone

You will have 3 Loops to prevent my horrors.
Each loop is 4 days long.
There are 2 Incidents scheduled-- a Murder on Day 2, and a Suicide on Day 3.

Begin Loop 1.

Doctor (Paranoia Limit: 2) adult man

Shrine Maiden: (Paranoia Limit: 2) student girl

(RESTRICT: Shrine Maiden)
Office Worker (Paranoia Limit: 2) adult man

(RESTRICT: Office Worker)

(i'll make the calendar prettier later, i promise)

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Day 1 - Morning
Nothing happens.

Day 1 - Mastermind cards
I play cards on the
##Doctor
##Office Worker
##Girl Student

quote:

Each of you gets to play 1 card. You cannot play a card onto the same spot as another Protagonist.

To make the game faster, include [TL] Script# (Loop#-Day#) Card Character/Location in the title of your PM.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Need to dropout, sorry. I realized I read a PBP of this script and remember stuff about it.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Stelas, you're in!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

##Shrine Maiden

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Note that you guys are totally free to discuss how to handle the situation so long as you don't say what you're playing.

I guess I'll send reminder PMs out to all my players.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Are you serious? Arrion, you need PMs enabled to play.

Alris, you're now playing in his place!

So the lineup is
Indolent Bastard (app)
Alris (watch)
Stelas (diary)

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010
Sorry about that, I hadn't realized PMs were turned off. They're enabled now.

I'll send a move in case I am still playing. If Alris is in feel free to ignore it.

I don't know much about this game yet, but I do know we need to coordinate forbid intrigue somehow to make sure two of us don't play it at the same time. I'd suggest that only the current leader plays forbid intrigue

If I am still playing, ##Girl Student

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Hi, sorry, give me a sec to catch up - I'd stopped reading the thread so as not to spoil myself.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Arrion posted:

I don't know much about this game yet, but I do know we need to coordinate forbid intrigue somehow to make sure two of us don't play it at the same time. I'd suggest that only the current leader plays forbid intrigue

That's a good plan.

So as I understand it, the script itself decides who is what role? BL can't go 'well poo poo, the Office Worker might reveal his own Role, I'd better not give him an important one'? If that's the case, throwing Goodwill at him and the shrine maiden in the first loop to try to reveal some Roles seems like a decent (if obvious) plan until we know a little more about what might happen.

## Office Worker

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Get ready!

Stelas posted:

That's a good plan.

So as I understand it, the script itself decides who is what role? BL can't go 'well poo poo, the Office Worker might reveal his own Role, I'd better not give him an important one'? If that's the case, throwing Goodwill at him and the shrine maiden in the first loop to try to reveal some Roles seems like a decent (if obvious) plan until we know a little more about what might happen.

## Office Worker

I'll go along with that.

##Shrine Maiden

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Get ready!

Indolent Bastard posted:

##Shrine Maiden

Guess she's covered! I take back the above.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Get ready!

Arrion posted:

Sorry about that, I hadn't realized PMs were turned off. They're enabled now.

I'll send a move in case I am still playing. If Alris is in feel free to ignore it.

If I am still playing, ##Girl Student

Yeah I completely missed this post. I'm perfectly fine bowing out and watching from the sidelines. Good luck all~

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Sorry about that, Alris. Thanks for being a good sport!

Cards played:

Paranoia +1 on the Doctor.
Goodwill +2 on the Shrine Maiden.
Paranoia +1 and Goodwill +2 on the Office Worker.
Forbid Movement and Move Vertical on the Girl Student.

Aftermath:

LOCKED UNTIL END OF LOOP
Indolent Bastard: Goodwill +2
Arrion: Forbid Movement
Stelas: Goodwill +2

Doctor (Paranoia Limit: 2) adult man :cry:

Shrine Maiden: (Paranoia Limit: 2) student girl :love: :love:

Office Worker (Paranoia Limit: 2) adult man :love: :love: :cry:

Day 1 - Mastermind Abilities

Nothing happens.

Day 1 - Goodwill Abilities

None available.

Arrion is now Leader.

Day 1 - Night

Nothing happens.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Begin Day 2.

A Murder is scheduled to happen today.

Day 2 - Morning

Nothing happens.

Day 2 - Mastermind cards
I play cards on the
##Doctor
##Office Worker
##Girl Student

quote:

Each of you gets to play 1 card. You cannot play a card onto the same spot as another Protagonist.

To make the game faster, include [TL] Script# (Loop#-Day#) Card Character/Location in the title of your PM.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Would it be possible to add a character's initials onto their head or something? It'd make the map much easier to check at a glance.

I'm assuming incidents are mandatory if conditions are met?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Stelas posted:

Would it be possible to add a character's initials onto their head or something? It'd make the map much easier to check at a glance.

I'm assuming incidents are mandatory if conditions are met?

Totally! They're in alphabetical order right now but I'm literally in the process of improving it at the moment.

Incidents are mandatory if the appropriate Culprit is at or over their Paranoia Limit, yes.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

So I'm assuming we want to concentrate around the Doc and OW today. (I thought about trying to isolate both of them, but then I realised that wouldn't get us any information.) I'd love to know why the GS had a move card on her but I don't think we have to worry about anything other than those two - I don't see many ways to get 2 Paranoia on someone in a single turn, not without giving away a big chunk of information.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

By 'concentrate' I mean isolate or provoke. Probably the second is actually better than the first, so long as they've got limited targets so we can tell who's who?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I dumped goodwill on the Shrine Maiden because her "power" is pretty sweet. Should be concentrate fire on her while two other players focus on the Doc & the OW; or am I completely getting this rear end-backwards?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I definitely think it's worth building her up, yeah. We're going to need a lot of goodwill in a hurry to actually get to use her, though. OW only needs one more goodwill and he can give up own his Role as well, but...

At the same time it's prrrrobably worth loving with the Doc or the OW this turn. Looking at the roles we've got available, I'm assuming that BL's plan is something like:
- Move either the Doc or the OW so that they're both in the same location
- Play Paranoia +1 on the one that didn't move so that they're panicking
- Get the Conspiracy Theorist in that location too and use its ability to push whichever one moved to also panic
- Kill the Conspiracy Theorist while both of them panic, so we're not actually sure who the murderer is

## Girl Student.

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010
Well, I got lucky guessing that BL wanted to move the girl student last turn, but I don't know why he wanted to move her vertically...

##Shrine Maiden

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I guess I'll tag the OW.

##Office Worker

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Cards played:

Move Vertical on the Doctor.
Goodwill +2 on the Shrine Maiden.
Paranoia +1 and Forbid Intrigue on the Office Worker.
Move Horizontal (Mastermind) and Move Vertical (Protagonist) on the Girl Student.

Aftermath:

LOCKED UNTIL END OF LOOP
Indolent Bastard: Goodwill +2
Arrion: Forbid Movement, Goodwill +2
Stelas: Goodwill +2

Shrine Maiden: (Paranoia Limit: 2) student girl :love: :love: :love: :love:

Doctor (Paranoia Limit: 2) adult man :cry:
Office Worker (Paranoia Limit: 2) adult man :love: :love: :cry: :cry: PANIC!

Day 2 - Mastermind Abilities

Something weird happens.
The Doctor gains 1 Paranoia. (He is now PANICKING!)

Day 2 - Goodwill Abilities

None available.

Stelas is now Leader.

:siren: Day 2 - Incident :siren:

A Murder occurs.
The Police Officer dies.

Day 2 - Night

Nothing happens.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Begin Day 3.

A Suicide is scheduled to happen today.

Day 3 - Morning

Nothing happens.

Day 3 - Mastermind cards
I play cards on the
##Girl Student
##Office Worker
##School

quote:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Well, poo poo.

I had the right idea, I guess, but somehow managed to totally forget the Police Officer was there thanks to just staring at the three that had cards played on them. We could have done with shuffling him out of there, my bad. I'm assuming that the Police Officer's ability will be pretty critical, what with an apparently unavoidable suicide on the way. Ideally it'd be nice to get that final Goodwill on the Shrine Maiden and move one other person in there this turn, so we can check them out.

In the meantime, ## School.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010
I'm not sure the police officer being murdered was according to keikaku. Quick rules question: I know the culprit for an incident is determined in advance, but is the victim for an incident like a murder set in advance, or can it just be anyone at the same location?

Either way, we should try to get the last goodwill on the shrine maiden

##boy student

• Locked thread