Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
nothing other than flavor

you have to fight battles to digest food tho and chaining noise leads to hella drops

if you need to scan in a room your partner will go OY NEKU LET'S SCAN SOMEONE

also if you see a tiny piggy icon lit up in the corner, you should scan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Does the mind-reading mechanic do anything other than flavor? Like do i need to be mind-reading every screen?

Nah, some of them are funny though

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm real bad at dodging. Where on Neku do I need to touch to make it happen reliably?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
btw if a pin seems to do way less damage on it's attack then it probably has a low Efficiency stat

efficiency is a stupid behind-the-scenes stat you can't loving see and it's hyper important because it determines how much of your attack power gets put into the pin

it's why ice risers stays good because it has 100% efficiency, whereas sexy beam, while it shoots a lot of bullets at 66 attack, has only 25% efficency meaning it barely gets boosted by your attack power

the only real way to learn a pins efficiency is to look it up on a wiki unfort

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
don't touch to dodge, quickly drag while neku is moving to dodge

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

sword_man.gif posted:

don't touch to dodge, drag the stylus
Do I have to start it on Neku to get him to dodge? I drag but it doesn't seem to respond every time.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

Do I have to start it on Neku to get him to dodge? I drag but it doesn't seem to respond every time.

i clarified it, he has to be running already to dodge

you'll get a pin called Scarletite and this stuff is hella useful and you can only get so many freebies before you have to buy them at hyper expensive rates

the most important thing to do with them, go into every shop available seriously, is extra pin slots so you can hold 6 in the deck at once

then save them for later so you can buy ultimate difficulty (which may not actually cost scarletite) and bigger wallets, some of the really good clothes straight-up can't be purchased without the big wallets

hollow leg (infinte bytes/day) and chain 16 also require scarletite and hollow leg is basically essential for endgame growth unless you really love loving with the clock on your ds

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
thread made me replay this game, I forgot how good the flavor text (and most of the actual text, really) was in this game

someone clearly had a lot of fun writing all the dumb item descriptions

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

darealkooky posted:

thread made me replay this game, I forgot how good the flavor text (and most of the actual text, really) was in this game

someone clearly had a lot of fun writing all the dumb item descriptions

mission loving accomplished, someone give me a medal

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

how many jesuses were there in this game again? 3? 4?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

ive tried to play this a few times, i bought it when it first came out and did the first three days, the top screen stuff just really hosed with my head, is the game as fun/playable with the partner character on auto, because i might finally go and finish it if thats the case

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
you can get away with your partner by just mashing left or right on the d-pad

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

FactsAreUseless posted:

Does the mind-reading mechanic do anything other than flavor? Like do i need to be mind-reading every screen?

Mind reading is required at some parts, but when it is they usually make it pretty obvious.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Oh yeah pins have a hidden stat called "Efficiency" that you will only find in guides or on the game specific wiki that pretty much makes the damage stats meaningless. So just use whatever pins you like until you start having trouble I guess.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
allow me to be the first to say: SO ZETTA SLOW!

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

sword_man.gif posted:

you can get away with your partner by just mashing left or right on the d-pad

this, but when the dual-screen mechanic clicked for me the combat became insanely satisfying, it's really worth trying to get the hang of. TWEWY is a great game in p much every regard

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

the secret to getting good at the combat in twewy without being some sort of two brained chamelon that can look at both screens and focus on them at the same time is to follow the light puck and focus in building that up.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

darealkooky posted:

the secret to getting good at the combat in twewy without being some sort of two brained chamelon that can look at both screens and focus on them at the same time is to follow the light puck and focus in building that up.

yeah i figured that out a bit on my last go through, i guess it was just too much for my simple mind at the time, im gonna give it another chance sometime, maybe try it out this weekend again

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I was almost done with the tower in the post-game story but then my game disappeared.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

when i played the ios version i turned on the twitter mind reading thing but made it only read iron sheik tweets

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

To the guy playing through for the first time:

-Don't bother raising anyone but Joshua's Brave beyond 400. That character gets the only piece of equipment that needs more than that.

-The low yen pins (1, 5, etc.) are used to buy some cool poo poo in the postgame, so they're worth not cashing in. Don't let them go to 99, though, to keep from losing any new ones you get.

-Gear that gives your support character combo stars at the start of battle is some of the best.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i really like every character in this game. neku starts off kind of dumb but he has a pretty good reason for it and gets a lot better quickly. also the bonus story was pretty incredible from what i remember

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TWEWY was a rad as gently caress game with a great soundtrack, mechanics, art style, flavor, and story. Where the hell is TWEWii U, Square?

It's really a shame (though understandable) that Neku turned so many people away from the beginning, because he really does turn into a great character.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I only played this game on the iPad. It was p. good.

I want to finish it now.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

the best part of this game is that you can just crank down your level in fights so you don't have to grind anywhere near as much as other inferior jrpgs

the worst part is it's like 3gb

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I only played this game on the iPad. It was p. good.

I want to finish it now.

the ipad version is really bad, finish the DS version instead

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

darealkooky posted:

the ipad version is really bad, finish the DS version instead

it seems ok so far, having everything on one screen is cool.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

it's for casuals, two screen psycho gaming for life

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

No kidding, I can't think of any other game that used the DS design that perfectly.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
One of my favorite things about TWEWY is how the partners work differently from one another. You're going to have a difficult time using each new one until you adjust to how they work

Just like Neku

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 10, 2014

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

the setlist for the background music is different and has a completely different mood depending on what partner you have

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Unguided posted:

No kidding, I can't think of any other game that used the DS design that perfectly.
TWEWY is probably the best example of a game that was designed entirely around the quirks of the hardware it was intended to be played on.

The Tether line of pins are great for stunlocking enemies, jacking up the combo meter, and hitting large groups. Getting the one with three tethers is always a top priority for me, even if it does require waiting for an alien.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
the one you're specifically referring to is sweet talk tether

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Once I got the jellyfish pin I used it for the rest of the game because it was really good.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
game owns
they should do another

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Kewpuh posted:

game owns
they should do another

it's gunna be one of those things squeenix teases despite the wii u being basically tailor loving made for a console sequel release

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

sword_man.gif posted:

it's gunna be one of those things squeenix teases despite the wii u being basically tailor loving made for a console sequel release

ya pretty much. wii u is awesome

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i hope that they make a theathrhythm sequel including TWEWY and kingdom hearts music

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

problem with a sequel is that it's either going to be

- A new threat leads to neku joining another reapers game but oh no he has amnesia/cyber aids so he has an excuse to angst again

- A brand new totally original character joins another reapers game and rehashes all the poo poo from the first game again

maybe I'm a pessimist, but I feel like square-enix is way too incompetent to catch lightning in a bottle twice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Iggy Koopa posted:

i hope that they make a theathrhythm sequel including TWEWY and kingdom hearts music

they put twewy in the 3ds kingdom hearts because they're a bunch of fuckin teases

also shiki's design looks weird as a 3d model

• Locked thread