Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

VJeff posted:

On July 29th 2014, Scrivens posted a 59 save shutout against the San Jose Sharks, an Edmonton Oilers record and at the time, an NHL record (although I do not know if that is still the case, I thhhhiiink it might've been surpassed by now?).

Someone's getting a little sloppy because I don't think anyone's gonna be playing on July 29th or posting a 60 save shutout!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Haha holy crap, I put July instead of January somehow.

Man I really need to get an editor before I ship these off to Puck Daddy. :iamafag:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Aurora posted:

Someone's getting a little sloppy because I don't think anyone's gonna be playing on July 29th or posting a 60 save shutout!!

It was January 29th or 30th, and it was a 59 save shutout which is still the record for a regular season game, beating Mike Smiths previous record of 54. Playoff game is Hasek's 70 save shutout against NJ, back in... 94? (also took 4OT to decide the game).

Ben Scrivens is cool and awesome and I hope he takes as much money from Edmonton as he can then gets the gently caress outta there.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Grandmaster.flv posted:

I like that this kind of feels like a Seven Samurai see a storyline from a bunch of different angles

do you mean rashomon

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

a false posted:

do you mean rashomon

Yeah I goofed

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

11. BRIAN ELLIOTT
Team: St. Louis Blues
Nationality: Canadian
Draft Class: 2003
Hardware: 2012 NHL All-Star, 2011-12 William M. Jennings Trophy Winner (w/Jaroslav Halak), 2011-12 GAA and SV% leader.
2013-14 GAA: 1.96
2013-14 SV%: .922
2013-14 W/L: 18-6-2

Brian Elliott's a weird case. A goalie who by all rights should've fallen out of the league or at least into relative irrelevance like three times by now, he not only manages to keep sticking around but keep putting up really good stats. I have a theory as to both of those, but we'll get to that later.

Brian Elliott is a product of the Ottawa Senators system. Drafted out of the University of Wisconsin-Madison where he had four very good years, he continued on to the Senators AHL affiliate in Binghamton where he continued to do pretty well. And because the Senators' goaltending was crap, he found himself called up to play for them at the NHL level. Unfortunately, this is where things started going pretty badly for Elliott. Over the next three years, he put up eminently forgettable stats and the Senators only made the playoffs once, where they were dumped in the first round by the defending champs, the Penguins. Eventually, the Senators made one of the weirdest trades possible: they made a clear upgrade at goaltender, getting Craig Anderson for Brian Elliott from the Colorado Avalanche, but did it at the stupidest possible time because Anderson wound up playing really well for them and dragging them up the standings, away from a draft lottery position.

Meanwhile, Elliott completely bottomed out on a morbidly bad Colorado team and helped them fall all the way to second worst in the league, good enough to get them swedish wunderkind Gabriel Landeskog. Makes the move look pretty savvy for Colorado, huh?! Grateful buncha jerks that they are, they thanked Elliott by refusing to tender a qualifying offer, making him an unrestricted free agent. For a lot of goalies, this is the part of the story where they'd turn into a loser journeyman like Theodore or Budaj or just fall out of the league entirely. But Elliott signed with the St. Louis Blues for one year at 600k and it turned out to be a pretty drat good investment for both teams. With new coach Ken Hitchcock and savvily acquired defense prospects Alex Pietrangelo and Kevin Shattenkirk reaching maturity (seriously, how loving good is John Davidson, eh?), the Blues had turned from perpetual losers into a stalwart defensive team and with a tandem of Jaroslav Halak and Brian Elliott at the back end, they were just hard to score on. My team played the Blues six times that year and let me tell you right now, those were six rough, violent, difficult games, maybe the toughest they played all year. Elliott in particular put up crazy stats, far and away the best SV% and GAA in the NHL that year at 1.56 and .940. At .940, he earned the record for the highest single season Sv% in NHL history.

With an injury to Halak, Elliott became the starter for the Blues in the playoffs starting in Game 2. He didn't lose a game as the Blues went on to beat the Sharks in 5 and were on to the next round to face the 8th seed Los Angeles Kings. There, Elliott met his match in Jonathan Quick. Quick allowed six goals the entire series. Elliott allowed 13. In four games. Now, I don't wanna pin this all on Elliott - the team around him got seriously thrown off their game by the Kings. They took dumb penalties, they allowed shorthanded breakaways, Quick constantly stoned the crap out of them which had to be frustrating. But Elliott didn't exactly look good in this series either and you never really can when you come meandering out of the playoffs with a 2.37 and a .904. A rumor came out after the Blues were swept that Elliott might've been suffering an ear infection. Now, for a hockey player, that doesn't sound like a very tangible injury, but for a goaltender, an ear infection can gently caress up your balance which, obviously, is a pretty important aspect of keeping your positioning straight. One way or the other, the Blues nor Elliott ever confirmed it, so it's just speculation. And one way or the other, it didn't matter, because the Blues were clearly impressed by their tandem in the regular season, so they re-upped Elliott for another two years at 1.8mil per year, a price that you would expect to be a lot lower than a Sv% and GAA leader would demand!

But here we come to the crux of the matter. How much of that, the Sv% record and the Jennings that he shared with Halak, how much of that was Elliott and how much of it was the suffocating style of play the Blues employ? The Blues are a rough team that play rough hockey, they don't let you get close to the goaltender, they clog lanes, they limit shots and they spend a lot of time in your zone, pounding the puck down your throat. Elliot was a crappy goalie before he got to the Blues and he's been a very solid one since, awesome in 2011-12 and good in his other years. I don't wanna give all the credit for that to the Blues system - I instead wanna say that it's much like Mike Smith and the Coyotes - a very good marriage of team system to goaltending style. Elliott's a big goalie at 6'2" and he plays back in the net and has very solid positioning, which is enough to let Ken Hitchcock's system take over. It's worth pointing out that despite his record setting preformance in 2011-12 he got no more than one first place vote in the Vezina voting and a 3rd, 4th and two 5th place votes in the Hart (the latter of which is actually stll pretty good, especially for a goalie, I think).

Elliott split time with Halak again in the lockout shortened 2012-13 season and was the starter in the playoffs as the Blues again drew the Kings and, despite jumping out to a two-games-to-none lead, quickly faltered and were backdoor swept, losing in six. The next year, Elliott was displaced from his role in the tandem when the Blues acquired Ryan Miller to be their starter and saw only 31 games of action that season (a very good 31 games at .922 and 1.96). He drew no time in the playoffs that year as the Blues were again dumped in the first round, this time by the Blackhawks. The Blues had already shown they had little interest in keeping Halak by trading him and they definitely didn't have any interest in Miller after the team tumbled down the stretch and Miller got beat bad in the playoffs (through no real fault of his own). So after three years of being part of a tandem or a backup, Elliott signed a three year extension worth 7.5 million dollars and is now the Blues starter, at least until heir apparent goaltending prospect Jake Allen is ready to take the reigns.

I've bagged on Elliott a good bit in these essays, but really, he deserves some credit. He's a big goalie who fits well into the system he plays for - which apparently, evidenced by Ryan Miller, isn't that easy to fit into if you're not used to it. It's possible, even propable that the Blues have just kept choosing him over Halak and Miller for one reason: he's cheap. If they let him go in favor of Allen by the end of his contract, he'll have cost them less than 10 million dollars for six years of goaltending when all is said and done. On a team that has to worry about locking up all those Pietrangelos and Backeses and Shattenkirks and Oshies (:swoon:) and Tarasenkos and Schwartzes long term, that's pretty effective spending. And for Elliott, it's a job done well on a very good team when a few years ago, his prospects in the NHL were not very pretty. I think that's pretty good.

And who knows, he might Tim Thomas the gently caress out when he's 37 and freaking lead the Sharks to the cup and win the Conn Smythe. Goalies are weird. They do weird things.

Oh yeah and he has Casey Jones on his mask. How awesome is that?

Count: 1365 Words
Total Count So Far: 28,656 Words

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
That was the one I've been waiting for, feels good man. And I would think a Red Wing fan of all people would understand the value of a Brian Elliott. Our very own Chris Osgood.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Mike_V posted:

That was the one I've been waiting for, feels good man. And I would think a Red Wing fan of all people would understand the value of a Brian Elliott. Our very own Chris Osgood.
There was also that brief period of time where the Blues had the actual Chris Osgood.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Moe_Rahn posted:

There was also that brief period of time where the Blues had the actual Chris Osgood.
It wasn't so brief. He played 67 games for them in 2003-04. I remember that because the Sharks made him look like a joke in the first round of the playoffs that year.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i don't know what your criteria ended up being for which goalies made the cut and which didn't but judging by the number of positions left i'm starting to get worried that we won't get a cam talbot essay :(

e: oh i looked at the link to the sv% page on nhl.com in the OP, i guess their cutoff was 25 gp. god dammit

a false fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Nov 21, 2014

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Just for you.

10.5 CAM TALBOT
Team: New York Rangers
Draft Class: Undrafted
2013-14 GAA: 1.64
2013-14 SV%: .941
2013-14 W/L: 12-6-1

Cam Talbot shut out the Flyers and led directly to Ron Hextall loving losing it on the entire team, and, I like to imagine, waving a jagged, pointy 15 year old goalie stick inches from Claude Giroux's face and making him cry. I think we can all agree that that makes him a great man. Maybe if Talbot shuts them out again, Hextall will let Mason take a free swing at somebody's ankles. We can only hope it's Rinaldo.

Count: :lol: Words
Total Count So Far: :lol: Words

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

VJeff posted:

Just for you.

10.5 CAM TALBOT
Team: New York Rangers
2013-14 GAA: 1.64
2013-14 SV%: .941
2013-14 W/L: 12-6-1

Cam Talbot shut out the Flyers and led directly to Ron Hextall loving losing it on the entire team, and, I like to imagine, waving a jagged, pointy 15 year old goalie stick inches from Claude Giroux's face and making him cry. I think we can all agree that that makes him a great man. Maybe if Talbot shuts them out again, Hextall will let Mason take a free swing at somebody's ankles. We can only hope it's Rinaldo.

Count: :lol: Words
Total Count So Far: :lol: Words

:worship:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Elliott also only played 30-something games in 2012, you're not going to win the Vezina as a backup.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
do one for Martin Biron getting punked so hard by Hertl that he retired

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Elliott's time in Ottawa wasn't all that bad. His rookie season was a rough start (.902 sv%), but he wasn't worse than our other goalie (Gerber), and it's not really shocking that a guy has a tough rookie season on a team that awful. Another factor here is that the team had to seriously adjust when Elliott was in nets vs when Gerber was in nets, because Gerber threw out absurd rebounds and Elliott didn't. Defenders were better off giving clean shots to Gerber and anticipating rebounds, but better off clogging lanes and limiting shots with Elliott, who would then smother them... but would get beat more than he should on clean shots. His sophomore season showed good improvement (.909). He was on track to develop into a decent starter, if not a top tier one. His glove hand was poo poo but he had good size and pretty solid positioning. It was really the third season where it went off the rails. Ottawa had no other goaltending option so Clouston just kept throwing him back in there despite his confidence clearly being shot.

His performance in 11/12 for St. Louis was shockingly good, but the fact he's turned into a solid 1A/1B goalie is only a surprise because of that one horrific year.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Aphrodite posted:

Elliott also only played 30-something games in 2012, you're not going to win the Vezina as a backup.

38, that's close to a half the year, although your point still stands. I thought he'd drawn more games than that for some reason.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

do one for Martin Biron getting punked so hard by Hertl that he retired

I might do this as bonus content just to have an excuse to post that tweet he made during the lockout.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

VJeff posted:

38, that's close to a half the year, although your point still stands. I thought he'd drawn more games than that for some reason.

I think anything less than 50 is a tough sell.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jordan7hm posted:

Elliott's time in Ottawa wasn't all that bad. His rookie season was a rough start (.902 sv%), but he wasn't worse than our other goalie (Gerber), and it's not really shocking that a guy has a tough rookie season on a team that awful. Another factor here is that the team had to seriously adjust when Elliott was in nets vs when Gerber was in nets, because Gerber threw out absurd rebounds and Elliott didn't. Defenders were better off giving clean shots to Gerber and anticipating rebounds, but better off clogging lanes and limiting shots with Elliott, who would then smother them... but would get beat more than he should on clean shots. His sophomore season showed good improvement (.909). He was on track to develop into a decent starter, if not a top tier one. His glove hand was poo poo but he had good size and pretty solid positioning. It was really the third season where it went off the rails. Ottawa had no other goaltending option so Clouston just kept throwing him back in there despite his confidence clearly being shot.

His performance in 11/12 for St. Louis was shockingly good, but the fact he's turned into a solid 1A/1B goalie is only a surprise because of that one horrific year.

The problem I keep having is that I'm writing all these essays through the context of last year's Sv% rankings, so I keep holding up Sv% numbers from 3+ years ago up against this year without really allowing for the context of how much better goalie numbers have gotten the past few years. Howard was awful this year at .910, so anything below .910 seems like an utter joke to me. :v:

Anyway, I hate to do this after that stupidly long break, but I've been in a car all day and the next essay is a particularly special one because :lol: Leafs and I don't wanna phone it in, so it may be delayed 'til tomorrow.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

VJeff posted:

The problem I keep having is that I'm writing all these essays through the context of last year's Sv% rankings, so I keep holding up Sv% numbers from 3+ years ago up against this year without really allowing for the context of how much better goalie numbers have gotten the past few years. Howard was awful this year at .910, so anything below .910 seems like an utter joke to me. :v:

Anyway, I hate to do this after that stupidly long break, but I've been in a car all day and the next essay is a particularly special one because :lol: Leafs and I don't wanna phone it in, so it may be delayed 'til tomorrow.

Nah .909 is still pretty poo poo below average (he was like 20th or something that year for qualifying starters), it's just in the context of him being a developing goalie it's not that bad. Varlamov had very similar numbers that year for example.

Also in the context of Ottawa. Holy gently caress that team had nothing going for it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You didn't mention it, but Anderson actually has the single season SV% record right now because he 24 games is enough in a dumb lockout season.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jordan7hm posted:

Also in the context of Ottawa. Holy gently caress that team had nothing going for it.

Aphrodite posted:

You didn't mention it, but Anderson actually has the single season SV% record right now because he 24 games is enough in a dumb lockout season.

This is probably as close to art as this thread is going to get.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

VJeff posted:

that was, unfortunately as close as the Sabres would ever get to the cup.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

You might want to correct this factual inaccuracy, pal

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I said "The Sabres", not "the best goalie ever and a U-Haul full of scarecrows". :colbert:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I wanted to get this up before Midnight. Bah.

10. JONATHAN BERNIER
Team: Toronto Maple Leafs
Draft Class: 2006
Hardware: 2011-12 Stanley Cup Champion (as a backup :jerkbag:), 2012 Spengler Cup
2013-14 GAA: 2.68
2013-14 SV%: .923
2013-14 W/L: 26-19-7

Bernier is a product of the Los Angeles Kings system who by now seem to have somewhat cornered the market on that "really good goalies" thing. Drafted 11th overall, he obviously was expected to make an impact on the Kings and he did, thought not in the way you'd eventually expect, but more on that later.

Bernier was named the starter for the Kings to begin the 2007-08 season which was, uh, stupid, but this is 2007, the Kings ain't got jack poo poo at this point, so what else is there to do. Either way, it only lasted about four games before they sent him back to the juniors. He would be promoted to the AHL by the end of the year and basically play the entirety of the next two years for the Kings' AHL affiliate, the Manchester Monarchs. The emergence of Jonathan Quick as the starter allowed the Kings to take their time with Bernier, letting him simmer in the AHL before allowing more for the "one-body-part-in-the-hot-tub-at-a-time" approach in his return to the NHL, where he chiefly played as Quick's backup.

Soon, a couple things became evident - that Bernier was too good to be a backup and that Quick was too good to give up the starts to be in a platoon. Quick was so dominant in 2011-12 that Bernier only drew 16 games, which dropped further to 14 in the 2012-13 lockout shortened season. After Quick's legendary run in the 2012 playoffs and his monster contract extension, everybody knew that he was the goaltender for the Kings and that was that. So, what to do with Bernier, who had the chops to legitimately be a starting goalie himself? Well, they had to find a team that was desperate for goaltending and get what they could for him. I mean, Bernier had chops, but he hadn't proven anything yet, so it'd take the right team to make a deal that'd be worth it to the Kings.

Alternatively, they could just fleece some morons who already HAD a starter by, I dunno, blinking bright lights in their face and going "ooooooohhhh look at my stanley cup ring WHOOOOOOOOOOO~~~~" until they signed the papers.

So Bernier was traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs for Ben Scrivens, a pick and Matt Frattin. And I know what you're thinking - "they didn't even keep any of that, that trade sounds like poo poo". We're gonna take a second to run through this.

The Kings traded Jonathan Bernier to the Leafs for Matt Frattin, Ben Scrivens and a second round pick.
The Kings traded Ben Scrivens to the Edmonton Oilers for a third round pick.
The Kings traded Matt Frattin to the Columbus Blue Jackets for a second round pick and a conditional third round pick if they won a series or re-signed Gaborik (they did both).

If you're paying attention here, you can see how that all went. For Jonathan Bernier, the Kings got Matt Frattin, a second round pick and a third round pick. Then, they turned Matt Frattin, a second round pick and a third round pick into this.

I don't care where you're from, that is good GMing.

Anyway. Back to Bernier. He went to the Leafs. Which was stupid, because the Leafs already had a starter. But hey, if you're gonna gently caress up the roster that Brian Burke painstakingly created with trades and signings and strong, truculent drafting, the best roster the Leafs had seen in a long, long time, then why not do a thorough job, right?!

pugnacityyyyyyyyy

so the Leafs tried to split time between their current starter Reimer and newcomer Bernier at first, but it quickly became apparent that Bernier was the better goalie and soon enough, Randy Carlyle was leaning on him. Bernier even got the start in the 2014 Winter Classic at the Big House in Ann Arbor and like most Leafs games that year, he was the MVP, taking tons of shots and golden chances and just stonewalling them. What everybody had suspected when he was stuck behin Quick was true - this dude could play. And like Brian Burke says, if you can play, you can play.

toleraaaaaanceeeee

Bernier was more than good, he was great, so the Leafs kept leaning on him and, here's the thing about having 25 guys, including one as big and ugly lookin' as Randy Carlyle leaning on you - eventually, something's gonna break from all that weight. Bernier wound up being knocked out by a lower body injury and during the five games he was out, guess what happened!

Turns out Reimer wasn't feeling so hot after the Leafs' brass amazing vote of confidence in him by trading for another guy and then sticking him on the bench for most of the year. He lost five straight games although frankly, who knows how much of that is his fault and how much is just the Leafs and their terrible, terrible defense. But hey, no problem. Bernier had managed to survive the Leafs defense. We just have to bring him back, right?!

Huh. But rushing him back before he'd completely healed from his lower body injury seemed like such a good idea at the time!

So yeah, the Leafs had a 2-12-0 stretch, included an 0-8-0 stretch to close out the year once their goalie situation became hosed and they wound up going from comfortably in a playoff spot to dropping right out of the playoffs entirely. Pretty embarassing and if your team managed to get in on that late season point hemoragghing the Leafs pulled off, pretty funny. Looking to the future, the Leafs seem to have figured out how to split time between Bernier and Reimer mostly evenly (though Bernier still seems to be the #1 guy). Whether they'll stick with it and whether it'll even matter is another issue entirely. As for Bernier, he'll still be an RFA at the end of the year, so he'll likely be in the blue and white and embroiled in all the drama that entails for a few more years at least, barring something unforseen. Maybe he'll be good enough to bring the Leafs to something despite that - talentwise, they are a good team and they are in a playff spot right now, despite some typical Leafiness early in the year. And Bernier is really, really good. I would say there's aa pretty short list of guys who can get the Leafs to accomplish somethin despite themselves, but I think if he stays healthy, Bernier is one of the guys on that list. Although if he knows what's good for him, he'll forget that poo poo and find some way to sign an offer sheet at the end of the year. I hear Florida's nice! I'm sure that Luongo guy wouldn't mind sharing the goal, either.

punchmanituuuuuuuuuuudeeeee

Count: 1201 Words
Total Count So Far: 29,857 Words

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I approve of those Burke pictures.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think it's more like 60/40 Bad CBJ/Good LA GMing.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

9. Sergei...

BOBROVSKY!

Team: Columbus Blue Jackets
Nationality: Russian
Hardware: 2012-13 Vezina Trophy, 2012-13 First All-Star Team, 2014 World Championship Gold Medal & Best Goaltender
2013-14 GAA: 2.38
2013-14 W/L: 32-20-5

Bobrovsky is an undrafted product of the Philadelphia Flyers system, signed in 2010 after four years in the KHL. He joined the Flyers in the 2010 offseason and was going to be sent to the AHL until he proved himself in training camp to be better than Michael Leighton, which as far as goaltending accomplishments go, is about as hard as sealing the post on a routine shot from a sharp angle, you jackass!

Bobrovsky was the Flyers' starter that year, one third of a bizarre rotation consisting of himself, Brian Boucher and Michael Leighton (although the third only drew one game in the regular season). Bobrovsky had a decent-ish rookie campaign in the regular season before things got WEIRD in the playoffs and the Flyers wound up playing all three of their different goalies in 11 games as they beat the Sabres in seven and then got the spanking of a lifetime against the Bruins in, let's say, a spot of revenge for the events of the previous year. Bobrovsky was in net for the end of it, but it barely matters. The Flyers as a unit were torn to shreds by the Bruins as a unit, you can't really blame it on any particular person, goalies included. But Bobrovsky had still had a pretty good rookie campaign and it seemed like what the Flyers had wanted when they signed him, a bit of loving goaltending consistency, was totally doable if they continued to develop him, which is why they paid a much older, much worse goalie 10 times as much as they were paying Bobrovsky to come in, takes vital starts from him and suck up the place for two years before they decided to pay him a cool 1.6 mil per year for the next 13 years instead. But first, they traded Bobrovsky to the Blue Jackets for picks.

So, those of you in the audience who are parents of young kids can rest safe in the knowledge that the Flyers will still be paying Ilya Bryzgalov not to play for them when your kids are in high school.

The Flyers are loving stupid is what I'm getting at here.

So Bobrovsky was traded to the Blue Jackets in part of a major retooling which saw Scott Howson show several iinexplicable bursts of competence, gathering Bobrovsky, Brandon Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov, Tim Erixon and three first round draft picks. The dividends paid quickly - Bobrovsky was sensational in the lockout shortened 2012-2013 season, far and away the most important part of the Jackets' surprising push for a playoff spot that unnfortunately came up just short on the very last day of the year, seeing the end in 9th place of the Western Conference. The Jackets came up short, but the league noticed Bobrovsky's herculean effort and he won the 2012-13 Vezina Trophy in a walk, becoming the first Russian-born netminder to ever win the award, an awesome accomplishment that I hope inspires more Russian kids to pick up the pads in the future 'cause man is that country historically, let's say, thin depth-wise in goal.

So, after a bittersweet farewell to the conference which they'd come into the league in, the Jackets were off to the Eastern Conference and Bobrovsky was headed back to the Atlantic Division. Which was now the Metropolitan Division, for some reason. Bobrovsky didn't light the world on fire, but he was still very good back in the Eastern Conference, good enough to backstop a Jackets team that was a year older and a year tougher (and had a legit scoring star in Ryan Johansen) into their second playoff berth in franchise history. Unfortunately, this probably counts as the part where, despite only being 26, Bobrovsky was only two days from retirement, because he played like somebody had shot him in the gut. Posting stats of 3.17 and .908, he was actually signiicantly outdueled by Penguins' goaltender Marc Andre-Fleury, it taking an incredibly embarassing gaffe on the Pittsburgh goalie's part just to tie the series when Bobrovsky played badly enough for his team to be down three-games-to-one after game 4. He had an awesome game 5, but the Jackets failed to mount any meaningful offense in support of him and in a do-or-die game 6, he put a neat little checkmark next to 'DIE', giving up four goals, including a hattrick to Evgeni Malkin. The Jackets tried to come back, but the hole they'd been put in was too much.

To give Bobrovsky the credit he deserves, he was in net for the first two playoff wins ever for the Blue Jackets and they never would've gotten anywhere near the playofs without him in the first place, but the Blue Jackets played pretty well in their series against the Penguins and Bobrovsky just kinda didn't measure up. Granted, if you're gonna get beat up as a goaltender, the current interation of the Penguins is probably one of the more reasonable teams to get beaten up by.

And unfortunately, it's a bit in doubt whether Bobrovsky will get the chance to redeem himself anytime soon. He was struck down as part of a straight-up biblical rash of injuries that hit the Blue Jackets to begin the year and at the moment, they're sitting at the worst record in the east, right there with Buffalo. Yikes. It's still pretty early, but there's a bit of wisdom about positions late in November in relation to making the playoffs and the Jackets still aren't fully healthy. But hey. The Blue Jackets will be fine and thus, Bobrovsky will be fine. Not so much for the team that brought him into the NHL. Not even that poo poo that happened to Nathan Horton (:rip:) is as bad as seven years of Acute Holmgren Syndrome.

Count: 970 Words
Total Count So Far: 30,827

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Biblical Rash should be capitalized. I'm pretty sure they have one of the 10 Plagues.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

How many of them are firstborns?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Aphrodite posted:

Biblical Rash should be capitalized. I'm pretty sure they have one of the 10 Plagues.

I've honestly lost track of who's all hosed. I know Bobrovsky was out but is back now, Horton's probably done for good and Letestu is still out? I know tere's a ton more than that, though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Columbus Dispatch this morning says the Jackets have lost 136 man-games to injury this year already :stare:

Metal Sonichu
May 18, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Biblical Rash sounds like a good name for a goon.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Paul "Homer" Holmgren is a big dumb idiot and I hate him very much

Please come back Bob :smith: (Though Mase is surprisingly cool)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It's funny how well the switch has worked for both teams but it kinda doesn't matter when the Flyers team is as bad as it is.

Like drat how do they have the top two scorers in the NHL but keep getting their asses shut out.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jackets also snagged Foligno for Marc Methot straight up in the Summer of 2012.

e- Which is relevant because he and Bob have become best buds to the point of having this after each win:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3g0WVQvcpM

...accompanied by Foligno yelling "BOBROVSKY!" Onrait-style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EtAG87gDWc

VJeff posted:

I've honestly lost track of who's all hosed. I know Bobrovsky was out but is back now, Horton's probably done for good and Letestu is still out? I know tere's a ton more than that, though.

It's actually thinning out and getting better. Dubinsky, who may just be the kick-in-the-rear end the team needs, is DTD/week-to-week, Horton's probably done, Letestu is still a couple weeks out, Murray is probably at least a month away, as is Tyutin, both with knee injuries. Cody Goloubef counts as being broken, even though he's really a depth guy who's off to the AHL once all the D get healthy.

At one point, it was Anisimov, Bobrovsky, Calvert, Dubinsky, (e- Foligno), Goloubef, Horton, Letestu, Murray, Wisniewski, with JMFJ suspended. Jenner was out to start the season, and Skille was out for about a week and a half. At any one point, it was two forward lines, a PK unit, a defensive pair, and the starting goalie.

So yeah.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 25, 2014

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

8. FREDERIK ANDERSEN
Team: Anaheim Ducks
Nationality: Danish
Draft Class: 2010 (Carolina Hurricanes), 2012 (Anaheim Ducks)
Hardware: 2013-14 NHL All-Rookie Team
2013-14 GAA: 2.29
2013-14 W/L: 20-5-0 in 28 Games

28 games. Good lord.

Andersen is a two-time draftee, originally drafted by the Hurricanes in 2010. The Hurricanes failed to sign him to a contract prior to the 2012 draft, however. The statement by then Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford indicated that they were going to sign him before Andersen changed agents and things dissipated, probably because his new agent saw exactly the trajectory the Hurricanes were on at the time, which meant he was doing a pretty good job of looking out for his client! Nicely done, buddy!

Anyway, Andersen entered the Ducks system and only a year after he was drafted by them, Andersen already found himself promoted. With backup Viktor Fasth being sthent to the Oilerth, Anderthen wath promoted to the NHL to back up Jonath Hiller. Y'know, it'th kind of a bummer that Fasth didn't make thith litht, thince I totally would've done a whole ethay in thith lithp.

Hiller was still the starter for most of the year, but the two found themselves more or less even after the olympic break, even ceding a couple starts to :911: American Super Prospect, John Gibson. :911: The big surprise came when head coach Big Baby Bruce Boudreau announced heading into the playoffs that their starter for Game 1 would be Andersen, not Hiller. What followed was a downright Flyers-esque goalie merry-go-round that saw Andersen, Hiller and Gibson all getting time throughout 13 games in the playoffs as Boudreau just tried to figure out who the gently caress was actually his best guy. Andersen won the first two games, but gave up a lot of goals in the process - which accurately foreshadowed him giving up a lot of goals in the process of blowing his team's two game lead. In game 6, he gave up four goals before BBBB decided "gently caress this" and switched him out to go back to his veteran, Hiller. Hiller locked things down while the Ducks staged a really annoying comeback and wound up winning the series in 6. But then Hiller got smacked around by the Kings in Games 1 and 2 of the next series, leading ol' Bx4 to try Andersen again in Game 3. Andersen had to leave with an injury that would wind up benching him for the rest of the playoffs, so Bee-Quad in good and proper "gently caress IT, TRY WHATEVER!" terms, went with 21 year old John Gibson and gently caress if it didn't almost work. He posted a shutout in Game 4 and was very good in a low-scoring Game 6. Putting together two great starts, Beez 2 Men trusted him with the Game 7 start in Honda Center.

Where he gave up 4 goals before the second period was half over, dooming the Ducks' season and leaving Teemu Selanne's final game as the punchline to some cruel joke that only I seem to find funny.

Anyway, after that weird bit of playoff goalie circus-ing, Hiller let in free agency to go join the Flames, bitch. :flame: and Gibson at only 21 had been spending his time between the AHL and the NHL before being shut down for the next month with a groin injury, leaving Anaheim's net pretty much all to Andersen who has been quite awesome so far, posting a .921 for the 1st place Ducks, close to his mark in shortened time last year. He's only 25, so whether he'll hold up all season is anybody's guess, but between this young Dane and the all-too-promising looing John Gibson, I'd hazard a guess that the Ducks are gonna be A-OK in goal for a while.

Which is gonna make it even funnier when they keep spending the entire season as a top-2 team only to fold in the first or second round. God, I love watching Perry and Getzlaf cry their stupid baby rear end in a top hat eyes out. I wish Selanne had decided to keep Roenicking around so I could feed on his disappointment as he loses another Game 7 at home. Lousy old fart. Alfredsson was ten times the hockey player you were, mate!

:sigh: Dammit, nevermind. He's great.

Count: 687 Words
Total Count So Far: 31,514 Words

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

7. BEN BISHOP
Team: Tampa Bay Lightning
Nationality: American
Draft Class: 2005
Hardware: Expert Samus Aran Impersonator
2013-14 GAA: 2.23
2013-14 SV%: .924
2013-14 W/L: 37-14-7

Ben Bishop is a product of the Fi Fye Fo Fums of the Beanstalk Hockey League - haha just kidding, he started off as a product of the University of Maine in the St. Louis Blues system. A highly touted goaltending prospect due to his massive size, Bishop eventually moved to the Blues' AHL affiliate Peoria, playing the occasional game with the Blues until the Blues, satisfied with their tandem of Jaroslav Halak and Brian Elliott and their prospect Jake Allen, decided they didn't need Bishop and traded him to the Senators. His tenure with the Senators didn't last much longer than the Blues - they had Craig Anderson as their starter and a blue chip goalie prospect in Robin Lehner, so before long, the crease was getting too crowded for Bishop again. It's entirely possible the Senators picked him up just to flip whichever one of him or Lehner they wound up deciding they didn't want for a player from some team desperate for goaltending. That wound up being exactly what they did, trading him to the Tampa Bay Lightning for centerman Cory Conacher during the lockout shortened 2012-13 season. The trade was another in an increasingly desperate moves from Steve Yzerman to get himself a long term solution in goal after Dwayne Roloson, Anders Lindback and Mathieu Garon had all flamed out in order. The trade at the time was criticized by many as Conacher was having a great rookie season and Yzerman had already blown a lot of resources to get Anders Lindback before the season had started, a trade which had backfired thoroughly. It was a time when the Lightning GM had been spinning his wheels trying to get the team anywhere meaningful for close to a couple years after their surprising ECF run in 2011 and trading a hot commodity like Conacher for an unproven Ben Bishop smacked of desperation.

...then like, less than a year later, the Senators put Conacher on waivers, he was picked up by Buffalo and Ottawa wound up with jack poo poo except Eugene Melnyk's checkbook being balanced a little bit easier and Tampa Bay had their new starting goaltender. So, yeah, point to Stevie Y there.

It's at about this point I should mention what makes Ben Bishop unique - he's loving big. Massive individual. That picture at the top of this post where he's about to drop the loving hammer on some poor shmuck? Yeah, that's 6'0" Brandon Prust. Ben Bishop is 6' 7", the tallest goalie to ever play in the NHL and in the top ten of tallest players to play in the NHL period, two inches behind Legitimate Freak of Nature Zdeno Chara. Bishop takes up a lot of the net and he's incredibly athletic, which turns out is a pretty drat potent combination. The Lightning limped to the finish line in 2013, but Bishop made his new GM look like a drat genius the next year, posting a 2.23 GAA and a .924 SV% and winding up a finalist for the Vezina trophy, earning 3rd place behind Semyon Varlamov and Tuukka Rask. He also set single-season records on the Lightning for wins, Sv% and GAA. He proved to be a key part of getting the Lightning back to the playoffs for the first time in three years but unfortunately, that was about all he could do - because the Leafs are a torrent of pain and misery that sucks in anything that gets to close and happens to be wearing white and blue, Bishop was injured in a game against Toronto at the end of the year and didn't play in the playoffs for the Lightning and although Anders Lindback and Kristers Gudlevskis acquitted themselves as best they could, they were unable to stack up to Carey Price or the attack of the Montreal Canadiens and were swept in four games before Bishop could even see the ice.

Since then, Bishop has been good, but inconsistent as he's dealt with the remaining effects of his wrist injury and offseason surgery. Meanwhile, the Lightning have raced out to a dominant start in the Atlantic Division thanks more to a crazy deep forward corps than their back-end at the moment. It's hard to follow up a campaing as dynamic as Bishop's first with the Lightning - they were consistently outshot, outgunned and outmatched but with Bishop in net, they always seemed to have a chance. Now, they're good enough to have a chance on their own. As Bishop inches back towards 100% in support of a much more well-rounded team, I daresay, there's one hell of a chance for lightning to strike twice in Tampa Bay.

:rimshot:

Count: 776 Words
Total Count So Far: 32,290

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It should be mentioned he injured himself doing this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLBwGa9xbDc&t=27s

You're 6'7. If you have to jump to get a puck, that puck is too drat high. Just let it go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

VJeff noooooooo :(

• Locked thread