Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Bandwagoning the suggestion for a larger spare conduit. It will be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Oh thank christ, finally a new page. It took almost 5 minutes to fully load the last one by the end, and I'm not on that lovely a connection.

The garage looks loving awesome, congrats man! Time to fill it with projects and tools.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Motronic posted:

If he actually snakes it I don't know what to tell you. This is what a shop vac on one side with a plastic bag tied to mason's twine on the other side is for.
I.... I mean....... Does it really work? It's such a beautiful thought.....

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Slugworth posted:

works great as long as you get a good seal with the shopvac.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Veeb0rg posted:

works great as long as you get a good seal with the shopvac.

Duct tape makes an awesome seal.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Serious question, why all of the concern regarding running CAT5/6 to a garage? Do you guys do most of your internet surfing from the garage? How does wifi not meet the needs you have?

I guess I'd understand if there was living space, but for a garage I'd think wifi, or at most a repeater with one cat5 cable would be all that would be needed.

The garage looks awesome and Buttons is cute :)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mat_Drinks posted:

Serious question, why all of the concern regarding running CAT5/6 to a garage?

The wifis don't go through metal garages so well.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Motronic posted:

The wifis don't go through metal garages so well.

Is this just because Faraday Cage, or is there some other effect going on?

Also go read the AC thread, I have a question there.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
I have near perfect 4G signal in my yard, and very strong signal in the house. In the garage, if the doors are closed it is no signal or in and out at best. (Usually just 1x, no 3/4G). I will be getting a mini-cell for the garage so I'm not burning up my cell while inside.

Wi-fi sucks for bandwidth and true uninterrupted service. Plus there will be several 2MP cameras running from the garage hub back to the house (where the server/nvr is). Wi-fi is nice for laptops and mobile devices, and I will have wi-fi in the garage - but not for my workstation or cameras.

I do do a lot of browsing from the garage though. Helps break up time on projects without being too far removed to jump back in - also good for spot checking information on whatever you happen to be wrenching.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Mat_Drinks posted:

Serious question, why all of the concern regarding running CAT5/6 to a garage? Do you guys do most of your internet surfing from the garage? How does wifi not meet the needs you have?

Even within my house - which is a decently sized house, but not massive (2200 sq ft), we have several wifi dead spots. The master bedroom is a black hole that gets about 5mbit on a good day with tons of packet loss, and it's less than 200 ft away from the router. The garage gets such a weak signal that wifi may as well not exist. Powerline Ethernet adapters are decent for the most basic web browsing, but not much else, at least with our wiring.

This is why I'm wiring the house with cat5e right now (I couldn't justify the added cost of 6 or 6a, when I'm only doing gigabit). The bitch will be wiring the kitchen and garage, since the attic is impossible to traverse from one end to the other. The garage is higher on the priority list to be honest, it'd be nice to put a cheap TV and a Roku out there, or at least some kind of streaming music player (there's an old Sansui receiver and speakers out there now - could use new caps, but still works).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fucknag posted:

Is this just because Faraday Cage

A assume so. It's just as bad in the office I built off of my barn once I put up the metal siding and roof.

Like FuzKill is planning, I had a wifi AP inside of the barn that covered it just fine, but also needed real ethernet for cameras. Now with my office attached I really use the ethernet out there.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

FuzzKill posted:

I will be getting a mini-cell for the garage so I'm not burning up my cell while inside.

I'm intrigued. Please elaborate.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

bolind posted:

I'm intrigued. Please elaborate.

Hook it up to your internet connection, throw a GPS antenna outside and you have your own cell tower in the garage.

http://www.att.com/att/microcell/

And, FuzKill, if you didn't know you'll almost definitely need an external GPS antenna to make it work - mine doesn't get a signal at all through the metal roof (no surprise). You can get them cheap on Amazon with long rear end cables.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Motronic posted:

Hook it up to your internet connection, throw a GPS antenna outside and you have your own cell tower in the garage.

http://www.att.com/att/microcell/

And, FuzKill, if you didn't know you'll almost definitely need an external GPS antenna to make it work - mine doesn't get a signal at all through the metal roof (no surprise). You can get them cheap on Amazon with long rear end cables.

Yeah I haven't purchased it yet but I think the Verizon unit comes with a decent length antenna cable, planning on sticking it out the wall outside to get signal. It would bug me to no end missing messages or phone calls, not to mention the phone going into full retard mode trying to find signal.

The guy with the tractor is apparently itching to fill the trench, but instead just dropped off a bobcat and have us the keys since it's not ready to fill yet. This will get interesting...

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Got most of the small trenches for the water/network dug out, and I connected into the water feed from the house to the piping. With any luck my brother in law will be able to back fill 80% of the trench tomorrow with the Bobcat. The rest will be done once the electrical connections are made.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Need to do any engine swaps immediately? Because bobcats are great as engine hoists.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Do cat6 for sure. its the best balance between capability and cost. You'll be happy in the future you put it in.

I'm a broward goon, hopefully this garage becomes some kind of Sofla AI hotspot :) (All my old car friends are either psuedomarried or depressed. We dont do cool poo poo anymore!)

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Slugworth posted:

Ideal makes a kit for sucking lines through various-sized pipes. It's got flanges and foam and o-rings and seals and gaskets and tensioning locknuts and all this.

We just used wal-mart bags on pulling string. It works like a champ.

Also, upsize your pipe to 2", unless you already have a 2" in there, in which case put an additional 4" in. Pipe is cheap, pull string is cheaper, digging ditches is a pain in the dick. You never know when you want to pull in 100' of HDMI cable with the ends still attached.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

kastein posted:

Need to do any engine swaps immediately? Because bobcats are great as engine hoists.

Yeah, but only if the machine has holding valves. Some construction equipment not designed to have man-lift capabilities do not, which is part of why they display many visual warnings not to get under the load.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

No need to piss about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKgTA5fMMjc

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Slugworth posted:

And it scales well. Suck a pulling string through with the bag, and pull the cable through with the string. If the cable is too heavy for the string, pull a rope through with the string first, then pull the cable with a rope.

And use lube.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Unfortunately, no electric work has commenced yet despite my wrecked yard (but happy ducks).

I almost forgot that I needed to run a compressed air line from the shed to the shop. Having a compressor in a different building does no good if there is no air supply :downs:. For the feed I used 3/4" pex-al-pex piping. Cost less than copper or iron pipe, and is easier to work with. The best part in my mind for it was that there are no unions in the underground section - so the chance of ever having a leak underground is highly unlikely.

After some more trenching I was able to complete the tie-ins into the garage. Compressed air, network, and water. All of them go nowhere in the shop yet, but now they are in the shop.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FuzzKill posted:

For the feed I used 3/4" pex-al-pex piping.

I'm curious to see how this works out for you. That's what I've been considering for running air lines around the shop.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I'd want to do a thing like this : https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200367525_200367525

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I've got a load of This stuff waiting to be fitted into my garage/shed.

Salvaged it from a mates workshop when he moved out. He was using it successfully to run all his machines.

I've used the plumbing variant in my house and it holds water well. The pneumatic/airline stuff seems just as good.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Well I was going to post an update with some pictures but 1and1 decided that my domain isn't important enough to respond.

Anyway, I talked with the electrician today and we re-scheduled for this coming weekend. Hopefully that pans out. In talking with him, I was trying to find out if there is anything else I can get set up ahead of time so that
a) It's a quicker in/out job for him
b) Less money for me

We both agreed that I could go ahead and hang up the light fixtures - so I got working on that tonight. I got 3 of them up, working by myself. Cutting the chains takes just as long as actually hanging the fixtures - but hanging them by yourself is somewhat awkward. I'm just using some hardware store chain for hanging; it was cheaper than the light hanging kits and it gives me much more flexibility for installed height.

I'll upload some pictures once my webserver comes back up? :confused: I don't have time to deal with tech support now ... time for sleep.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Web server is back up!

I got out early today so after hanging the first 3 lights last night I was able to knock out the other 6 pretty quickly.

I'm chomping at the bit to when I can walk into the shop and flip a light switch - we'll be living like kings I tell you!

BUTTONS!
http://i.imgur.com/kUT88TQ.gifv

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

FuzzKill posted:

I'm chomping at the bit to when I can walk into the shop and flip a light switch - we'll be living like kings I tell you!
drat hell rear end kings!

Sweet lighting.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

FuzzKill posted:

Well I was going to post an update with some pictures but 1and1 decided that my domain isn't important enough to respond.
1and1 is garbage so this isn't surprising.

The garage/shop is looking awesome though and I'm very jealous.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

hahah that dogggy

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

6 bulb T8 fixtures.... lots of them...

You're gonna need some really good sunglasses when you flip that switch for the first time. :cool:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

some texas redneck posted:

6 bulb T8 fixtures.... lots of them...

You're gonna need some really good sunglasses when you flip that switch for the first time. :cool:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Hanging fixtures from a ladder like that SUCKS. That is absolutely a 1-day job on a scissor lift. Looks good, though.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Hanging fixtures from a ladder like that SUCKS. That is absolutely a 1-day job on a scissor lift. Looks good, though.

It would have been done in a few hours if I hadn't started at 11pm the first day :p

I think counting the links and cutting the chains to spec took as long as actually hanging them. Another set of hands would have been nice but they're not that heavy - just awkward.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
:siren: Electrician is here! :siren:

No ETA on when it will be completed, but it is in the works. Running a 125A panel. Wiring in outlets, lighting, running wires for the lifts, and then going to pull the main wires. Will have a chat before he wraps up for the day and see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
1st round of electric work is done. Running a 125A panel - the biggest we can go without a bigger drop from the pole (same line feeds the house as well). We are pulling a larger feed wire than needed, so if we wanted to put a bigger panel in we wouldn't have to run a new feed to the garage - only to the house.

Most of the interior conduit work is done as well as the majority of the outlets. When they return they will be wiring in the overhead lights, wiring in the exterior lights, and making the connections at the panel. Once that is complete they will pull the feed wire from the house to the shop. Each bank of lights will be on its own switch, so I can save some power by not having all of them on all the time. I also had them add a switched outlet up in the front corner of the shop, I will plug a fan or two into that outlet and have a switch for it down at regular level.

There will be 2 220V leads for the lifts, a 220V lead going to the shed for the compressor, as well as two additional 220V outlets in the shop for future welders/plasma/etc.

ETA on next workday is hopefully Tuesday, we'll have to wait and see.

I also picked up a filter/regulator unit for the shop air. I will plumb this into the main air feed and then probably have two drops in the shop (one on a pull down reel, one at workstation level)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Decora! WTF?

(I kid, I kid)

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
Electrical looks nice, good thinking on the extra 220v outlets for the welder.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Got a pull down hose reel installed and I finished all the compressed air plumbing going to the reel. I have a second supply feed I will put in later - for now I just have the second fitting capped off.

One of the electricians came by today and knocked out the rest of the outlets and a few of the overhead light fixtures. Hopefully this weekend they will install the outside light fixtures, finish the panel, and pull the feed wire.

I have 3/4" coming into the garage filter/regulator from the compressor and then 1/2" tubing up to the hose reel. Hose reel is 3/8" with 3/8" quick disconnects. Need to buy a bunch of those, everything I had before was all 1/4" quick disconnects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
WE HAVE POWER!

The stars have finally aligned and we got 90% of the remaining electrical work done. They wired in the overhead lights, installed the outdoor lights, and then pulled the main feed cable from the house over to the garage.

We did have a minor issue, but that should be resolved today. There was some new kid working at his favorite supply house and sold him all 'x' breakers when everyone knows he always uses 'y' breakers. So the panel is all hooked up, everything is ready to go and we realize we have the wrong breakers for the panel. He was able to scrounge up two breakers from his extra parts bin in the truck and we used those for the lights and one wall of outlets. He'll be swapping out the breakers today and we should have everything wrapped up.

The other things left on the to-do list are to wire in an overhead light in the shed, add an outlet in the shed, wire up the 220v compressor in the shed, and add an outdoor outlet to the garage.

LIGHTS!

Both outdoor lights are LED - since they will be on all night I didn't want a huge power draw. They came out nice, I may swap out the outdoor fixtures on the house to some of those. The small light

Now that the inside work is done, I can start moving over tool boxes, workbenches, lifts, etc.

Has anyone here installed a 2 post lift on their own? I'm not against doing it on my own, but I don't want there to be any problems either - it's a decent chunk of change to have someone do it for you.

• Locked thread