Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I drool over their brz one at least once a month. One day. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Looks like it will fit :p

I set it in place originally and decided that there was no way the hood was going to close. Somehow, it does close. Doesn't even touch when closed, although I feel when the engine is under load there might be enough movement to make it contact because it's got to be close. Going to get some modeling clay and find out how much clearance I really have.

Tonight I got it actually bolted in - only thing I needed to do was relocate my oil pressure sender. Went ahead and assembled the fuel rails with the new injectors, and then smoke tested the whole deal. No leaks!

Probably going to tackle the belt drive tomorrow. The E-force system adds an idler down low next to the water pump and replaces the stock tensioner with a larger unit in a slightly different location. Then I can take my belt measurement and try 20 belts until 1 works.

After that, I need to decide if I need to upgrade my fuel supply, and then run the intercooler water lines, intercooler pump, reservoir, and FMHE.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That is loving awesome.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oh MAN if I wasn't jealous before...

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Do a burnout (and post a video of it)

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
How are you so productive?

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

sharkytm posted:

How are you so productive?
I just read this thread from the groundbreaking on page one, and this is the main question I have. You're either one of those people who just doesn't need much sleep or.. something. That's really all I could come up with. This thread is awesome.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Fantastipotamus posted:

I just read this thread from the groundbreaking on page one, and this is the main question I have. You're either one of those people who just doesn't need much sleep or.. something. That's really all I could come up with. This thread is awesome.

The shop is so well lit that if you don't drop from actual exhaustion you can easily work well into the night and lose track of time as you don't realize how late it is.

Came upon an interesting snag with the supercharger setup.

The Datsun has an F-body LS1 belt drive setup. Camaro waterpump, low mount alternator, balancer, and tensioner. I also have an add on AC that sits on the driver side. All the supercharger idlers/tensioner sit on the passenger side so everything was supposed to play nice.

The E-force kit I have is for LS3 heads and the F-body belt offset. The S/C pulley does line up with my belt drive. When I installed the idler and tensioner however, they both sit about an inch inboard of the supercharger. Also, the water pump has a passenger side top fitting, and it hits the belt. Even if it didn't, the belt goes around the hose so you would have to remove the top radiator hose to install the belt. No good.

In the instructions provided the pictures show a pump with a driver side top hose fitting, which can only be an LS3 pump. Problem is that there are two (actually 3 really) LS3 pumps. I'm hoping that one of the LS3 pumps will take care of both of these issues. If the offset where the tensioner goes is farther outward that would space out the new tensioner assembly to where it needs to be. Either that, or maybe some spacers are needed. Guesswork is the last thing I want in a belt driven supercharger setup, which is why I'm changing up the S/C setup in the truck...but that is another story.

What I'm not sure about is if the Corvette LS3 pump pulley will line up with my belt or if the Camaro LS3 pump pulley will line up with my belt. Argh. My AC bracket mounts to the water pump bolts on the driver side, and from what I can see with the Camaro pump there is a big raised section in between the bolts, which would require me to cut up my bracket (or it might not work at all). The Corvette pump has nice flat mounting bosses, but is a different offset from the Camaro pump so likely only 1 will work.

Why would they use an LS3 pump on a kit for an LS1 belt drive! :argh:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

FuzzKill posted:

The shop is so well lit that if you don't drop from actual exhaustion you can easily work well into the night and lose track of time as you don't realize how late it is.

Came upon an interesting snag with the supercharger setup.

The Datsun has an F-body LS1 belt drive setup. Camaro waterpump, low mount alternator, balancer, and tensioner. I also have an add on AC that sits on the driver side. All the supercharger idlers/tensioner sit on the passenger side so everything was supposed to play nice.

The E-force kit I have is for LS3 heads and the F-body belt offset. The S/C pulley does line up with my belt drive. When I installed the idler and tensioner however, they both sit about an inch inboard of the supercharger. Also, the water pump has a passenger side top fitting, and it hits the belt. Even if it didn't, the belt goes around the hose so you would have to remove the top radiator hose to install the belt. No good.

In the instructions provided the pictures show a pump with a driver side top hose fitting, which can only be an LS3 pump. Problem is that there are two (actually 3 really) LS3 pumps. I'm hoping that one of the LS3 pumps will take care of both of these issues. If the offset where the tensioner goes is farther outward that would space out the new tensioner assembly to where it needs to be. Either that, or maybe some spacers are needed. Guesswork is the last thing I want in a belt driven supercharger setup, which is why I'm changing up the S/C setup in the truck...but that is another story.

What I'm not sure about is if the Corvette LS3 pump pulley will line up with my belt or if the Camaro LS3 pump pulley will line up with my belt. Argh. My AC bracket mounts to the water pump bolts on the driver side, and from what I can see with the Camaro pump there is a big raised section in between the bolts, which would require me to cut up my bracket (or it might not work at all). The Corvette pump has nice flat mounting bosses, but is a different offset from the Camaro pump so likely only 1 will work.

Why would they use an LS3 pump on a kit for an LS1 belt drive! :argh:

Did they send you the right parts? That sounds like something you'll have to solve with a phone call to Edelbrock.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Raluek posted:

Did they send you the right parts? That sounds like something you'll have to solve with a phone call to Edelbrock.

Agreed.

Also this thing has to be bonkers. I mean, it's already overpowered with a NA LS engine.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Fuzz, when you gonna have your own show? I wanna see Edward Norton work on cars.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

What's insane to me is that when you check out youtube car channels where they're doing a similar scope of project there will be like a month of work between updates and they're getting done what fuzzkill seems to get done in a week while also presumably working somewhere.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

VelociBacon posted:

What's insane to me is that when you check out youtube car channels where they're doing a similar scope of project there will be like a month of work between updates and they're getting done what fuzzkill seems to get done in a week while also presumably working somewhere.

True, but filming / editing probably at least halves the productivity time. I'm guessing Fuzz also has no children.

Regardless, Fuzz is awesome and his cars are awesome.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Edelbrock was supposed to call me back today. After talking with several different people someone actually understood what I was trying to get across and did some research on their end. It appears that they may have mocked up the kit with the wrong water pump - not entirely sure yet.

In the mean time I procured a Camaro and Corvette LS3 pump. Camaro is wrong in every way and won''t work. Corvette pump isn't a bolt on deal but could be modified to work (read: angle grinder). I've already modified the Corvette pump to work and I'm planning on using that unless they have a better solution at Edelbrock (maybe I'll hear back Monday ...). To modify the Corvette pump I had to grind down some unused bolt bosses on one side and then figure out a way to pull the pulley forward on the shaft to align with the belt. I can't use water pump spacers because that would throw everything else that bolts to the pump out of alignment.

Draining the coolant now ...

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

FuzzKill posted:

Edelbrock was supposed to call me back today. After talking with several different people someone actually understood what I was trying to get across and did some research on their end. It appears that they may have mocked up the kit with the wrong water pump - not entirely sure yet.

In the mean time I procured a Camaro and Corvette LS3 pump. Camaro is wrong in every way and won''t work. Corvette pump isn't a bolt on deal but could be modified to work (read: angle grinder). I've already modified the Corvette pump to work and I'm planning on using that unless they have a better solution at Edelbrock (maybe I'll hear back Monday ...). To modify the Corvette pump I had to grind down some unused bolt bosses on one side and then figure out a way to pull the pulley forward on the shaft to align with the belt. I can't use water pump spacers because that would throw everything else that bolts to the pump out of alignment.

Have you tried the L92 pump? I think it's similar to the LS3 pump (I don't know if it's the Vette or the Maro one) but has the taller pulley on it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

FuzzKill posted:

If you haven't already I would suggest working something out with edelbrock where you figure this out and let them know what works in exchange for your supercharger. It sounds like they need the feedback on it.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Raluek posted:

Have you tried the L92 pump? I think it's similar to the LS3 pump (I don't know if it's the Vette or the Maro one) but has the taller pulley on it.

The newer truck pumps use the same offset as the 2010+ Camaro, which is an entire belt width too far out from the block. Also I think they have a weird hose angle and it's on the wrong side. Corvette LS3 is tighter than the F-body (about 1/2 belt width) but you can either get water pump spacers or pull the pulley off the shaft some.

We'll see how this pans out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What would it take to get Fuzzkill, Kevbarlas and 14" in the same place to build a car?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

FuzzKill posted:

The newer truck pumps use the same offset as the 2010+ Camaro, which is an entire belt width too far out from the block. Also I think they have a weird hose angle and it's on the wrong side. Corvette LS3 is tighter than the F-body (about 1/2 belt width) but you can either get water pump spacers or pull the pulley off the shaft some.

We'll see how this pans out.

Oh, alright. I didn't know that the later gen4 cars and trucks had the same offset. I thought the L92 pump had a really long/wide (depending on how you look at it) bell pulley so that it would line up for either the car or truck configuration, but I must be thinking of something else. Sounds like you've got the problem mostly solved with the Vette pump, are you going to ask Edelbrock for compensation for sorting out their poo poo?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The mix of belt drives is the one thing that drives me up the goddamn wall on LSX engines. Probably partly because the LS1 fourth gen is a dead-end odd duck.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

IOwnCalculus posted:

The mix of belt drives is the one thing that drives me up the goddamn wall on LSX engines. Probably partly because the LS1 fourth gen is a dead-end odd duck.

It can get maddening, especially since you can't just use water pump spacers without also messing up your belt tensioner alignment.
The F-body LS1 belt drive does share commonality with the LS1 GTO as well as LS2 GTO, even though I'm sure most part numbers are different the belt drive offset is the same.

Bet you guys can't guess what I'm doing!

Bought 6 belts in 1/2" increments going off my best guess length. Turns out I greatly underestimated the sweep of my tensioner. I can fit the three smallest belts on the car and you have to spring the tensioner to get them on - but none of them even put the tensioner into the middle of it's sweep. If I go another 1/2" down from my smallest I should be in the middle of the tensioner sweep and that should be ideal. All belts stretch under load (especially with a supercharger) so it's good to know that the tensioner has a long sweep in it and won't be bottoming out during boostu.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FuzzKill posted:

It can get maddening, especially since you can't just use water pump spacers without also messing up your belt tensioner alignment.
The F-body LS1 belt drive does share commonality with the LS1 GTO as well as LS2 GTO, even though I'm sure most part numbers are different the belt drive offset is the same.

Yeah, though that isn't exactly a huge number of actual produced / sold cars either. Both the fourth gen and GTO have been gone so long that I'm certain there are quite a bit more Corvette engines out there now, and a couple orders of magnitude more truck engines.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Are you running a 6-rib belt for the supercharger? I did some reading last night on the LSA supercharger, and they use a dedicated 8-rib belt for that. I guess the LSA uses Corvette spacing for the accessories, then has an 8-rib additional pulley on the end of the crank pulley that is close to truck spacing for just the supercharger. If they had to do that for the factory supercharger, I wonder if you'll have issues with belt slip with only 6 ribs (shared with the accessory drive) with this aftermarket one.

But I guess Edelbrock would not have released the product if it did.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Raluek posted:

Edelbrock's performance so far gives me little confidence based on the pump.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Raluek posted:

Are you running a 6-rib belt for the supercharger? I did some reading last night on the LSA supercharger, and they use a dedicated 8-rib belt for that. I guess the LSA uses Corvette spacing for the accessories, then has an 8-rib additional pulley on the end of the crank pulley that is close to truck spacing for just the supercharger. If they had to do that for the factory supercharger, I wonder if you'll have issues with belt slip with only 6 ribs (shared with the accessory drive) with this aftermarket one.

With the size of the pulley, belt wrap, and tensioner strength it should be fine. May become an issue if I ever go down on pulley size but they offer 8 rib pulleys. The rest of the drive wouldn't be hard to convert.

Got some work done last night. Since I pulled the water pump pulley forward on the shaft a decent amount, I tack welded the pulley to the shaft to ensure it doesn't go anywhere in its new position. Then I installed the new water pump as well as the tensioner and idler brackets that bolt to the pump. From what I can tell with the car off, everything is aligned. Once it's running that will be the real test if everything is set up proper.

With the belt drive out of the way, next up was the front mount. Made up some brackets and mounted the FMHE just in front of the condenser. Very tight fit but it sits in there nicely. I need to go back and slot the holes just a little bit to get it sitting level. Cut twice, measure once I always say. Then I made a small bracket to fasten the intercooler pump to the inner fender, and then ran all the intercooler hoses from the SC to the reservoir, to the pump, to the FMHE, and back.

Tonight I didn't do a whole lot but I did get something tricky out of the way - the throttle cable bracket. Not much room or mounting points to work with but the simplest solution was the best solution. Ended up with some bar stock aluminum with a little twist in it between the cylinder head and a stud I installed in the SC. It works!

Basically all that is left is electrical and tuning. I was previously running the LS2 style MAF/MAP sensors as I was using an LS2 intake. The kit comes with pigtail provisions for the LS3 style MAF/MAP. Rather than cut up or splice my harness I ordered two adapters so it will be plug and play and I can always go back if I want to. Waiting on those. Then I need to wire up the supplied relay and harness for the intercooler pump, and then reroute/install the coil and injector wiring.

Oh, and the PCV hoses too.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

This man is a machine.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Just read the thread. Can you tell me if your whole building complies with Miami hurricane code besides the door?

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Just read the thread. Can you tell me if your whole building complies with Miami hurricane code besides the door?

Yes, the whole building is. I think Miami, Broward, and Palm Beach county all utilize Miami Dade certification. Even though I'm a bit inland, I needed to handle 170mph wind loads, which is more than what my house is built to since it was built before the codes were as strict.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF0YH_4t2xg

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
After Andrew the codes became much stricter.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
That's good. Sounds like you got yourself a shelter too. I'm considering moving back to South FL, so I dork out on hurricane code. I also lurk in AI, jealous of those who can fix their own cars. Your thread is a real sweet spot.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Got a couple more things done. Permanently wired the intercooler pump and mounted its fuse and relay. I tapped the signal for the pump into the fuel pump signal as opposed to just ignition, so that I can sit with key on/engine off without having a huge draw on the battery.

Also ordered a catch can, as the PCV outlet is before the supercharger rotors and I don't want any oil mist going into the SC (I did notice a little in the intake from before). It will be a completely closed loop PCV just like stock, only with a catch can between the PCV suction at the valve cover and the intake at the supercharger.

Changed settings regarding the MAF, MAP, and injectors in the tune file. Looked at my timing maps and they actually aren't too agressive so I might leave it alone for now.

Should be going soon ...

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

How's this thing going? Made any more progress? Smokey-tire burnouts everywhere?

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Coredump posted:

How's this thing going? Made any more progress? Smokey-tire burnouts everywhere?

Had a lot going on at the house and in the shop lately unfortunately - and none of it has been interesting.

I have driven it around a few times getting the VE tune pretty much there in the PCM, next is the MAF tune. Haven't had time to get it completed yet. Don't want to risk driving it around without all that stuff setup correctly and end up running lean at the wrong time.

The LS3 for a customers car just showed up, going into a 97 Trans Am. Already have the T56 for it, but need a ton of other pieces to be able to put the LS into an LT car. Also going to get a cam and valvetrain work before going in.

Also if all goes well I will have a new car on Saturday. Flying to TX and driving back with any luck. This will be my third time flying out of state to get a car, hopefully goes as smoothly as the last two times.
It's going to be the new DD, I'm selling the Genesis (ad is in the marketplace thread)

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

It's not a new caprice is it?

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Coredump posted:

It's not a new caprice is it?

Uhhhh, yes? Get out of my head!? How did you guess?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Is it white??

Edit: If it is white and its in Texas then its the Caprice I've seen advertised online for a really good price with not ridiculous miles like all the other ones in its price range. I can't remember if it had a center console or not but I've seent it and I'm glad you're making a move on it.

Edit edit: Plus its a 4 door LS car, I mean come on, thats a pretty Fuzzkill car right there. I mean a 4 door LS car with factory transmission cooler, oil cooler, and I think rear diff cooler? I might be making that last one up. All good things for durability.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 22, 2017

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Coredump posted:

Is it white??

Edit: If it is white and its in Texas then its the Caprice I've seen advertised online for a really good price with not ridiculous miles like all the other ones in its price range. I can't remember if it had a center console or not but I've seent it and I'm glad you're making a move on it.

Edit edit: Plus its a 4 door LS car, I mean come on, thats a pretty Fuzzkill car right there. I mean a 4 door LS car with factory transmission cooler, oil cooler, and I think rear diff cooler? I might be making that last one up. All good things for durability.

Yes it''s white! Police console still, but I have a line on some G8 interior parts I may pick up on the (long) drive home.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Then I'm pretty sure I've seen the ad for the exact car you're going to get. Congrats on getting a Pontiac G8 GT with factory oil and transmission cooler for like half the going rate of what real Pontiac G8 GT's seem to go for.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Coredump posted:

Then I'm pretty sure I've seen the ad for the exact car you're going to get. Congrats on getting a Pontiac G8 GT with factory oil and transmission cooler for like half the going rate of what real Pontiac G8 GT's seem to go for.

Not a huge fan of the exterior styling on the G8, I think the Caprice and the SS look much better - and this is coming from a former Trans Am and Grand Prix owner. I couldn't believe what you can get a Caprice for. Even when you throw in some $$ for reconditioning/upgrades you can get a lot of car for not a ton of cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Congrats on your new Wrong Side Drive Commodore!

• Locked thread