Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Oh hell yes. I was just going to ask you about this in your other thread, I love construction projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Those lights are going to make it a really nice place to work. Great score :)

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Looks great, hell I'm really excited for you. I don't know what it is but the building stages of these projects are my favorite to watch.

How many cars do you currently have? I know of the Genesis coupe, GTI, most awesome Colorado of all time, and I assume you still have your celica. Anything I missed?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

FuzzKill posted:

I've got the Genesis, Colorado, GTI, and the Corolla (wish it was a Celica)

Welp I just lost and cred I had on AI

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Looks great, what's are the next steps? Electrical? Hanging doors?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
How do T8s hold up in cold temperatures? I wouldn't mind some extra garage lighting but ours is unheated and I would hate to get a bunch of fixtures and then them die prematurely due to the cold.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I guess it's a moot point anyway because there is no point having more light in my garage until I get or build another shed because I have all my toys stored in my 2 car and virtually no room to work anyway.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
What's happening with your garage project?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
That is a pretty rad update, fuzzkill, thanks. These are my favorite kind of projects.

Nthing what everyone else said, I'd absolutely build a shed or something for your compressor if you can and you don't think it will be too loud for neighbors.

I've seen some attempts at soundproofing enclosures for interior compressors at garagejournal as well. You'd probably have the same humidity issues as building outside sicne your interior space isn't going to be conditioned air.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Awesome. Is that a ricon or a rancher?

Excited for future craziness coming from your shop.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
This thread delivers! Hell yea

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Man you know how to upgrade

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Lightbulb Out posted:

If I was spending $20,000 on a truck I would want to know that it had a new motor put in it. The truck looks great and I don't doubt the quality of the work, but disclosing that information I think is the right thing to do.

I agree with this but I am ultra honest in all my craigslist ads. When I sold our civic, the manual transmission seemed to be making a noise as if the transmission was on the way out. I took it to my regular mechanic as well as aamco and they both told me to not be paranoid. It went to two other mechanics for prospective buyers and they found nothing wrong. I still disclosed all that information in the ad and I didn't have any trouble selling it.

I don't care what you do fuzz, but I would disclose the engine replacement, even if it's a short blurb, something like this:

"I bought this truck from the original owner with a blown motor at ~108k miles. I installed a used engine with a verified XXk miles (chassis has 108k) on it and used OEM toyota parts (receipts available) to complete the engine swap. While I was in there, I replaced the windshiel, spark plugs, battery, and installed new helper air bags. I've driven the truck XXX miles to make sure everything is operating correctly with no CEL codes and it is ready to go."

I don't think you'll have any problems selling it, even with people knowing "the truth". If you're not hurting for the cash, I'd keep it around longer and be honest, you will find a buyer for it, it's a desirable toyota. I'd be tempted to do a fly and buy, but not unless it was a stupendous deal. Truck looks amazingly clean, though.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
This youtube channel may inspire you to look into turboing one of your LS projects, he's like the poor mans turbo LS whisperer. He updates the channel a lot with different projects.
Sloppy Mechanics

He has a beater colorado with 500whp @ 6psi. He's looking to run the boost to 15psi once his fuel problems are sorted which apparently should be good for around 700whp.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

FuzzKill posted:

It's a lot easier to find the clearance issues with the engine/trans combo out of the car. The headers hit the bellhousing on both sides, but only just.

The passenger side I could dimple the tube or grind down the bellhousing, it touches right at the extra hump in the bellhousing for the starter.

Beat the poo poo out of them headers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azPKIjxmmdU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Looking really clean, fuzz. Nice work.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Whoa nice work, that's got to help with the motivation. That motor looks right at home in there.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
WOW, I'm a couple days behind. Holy poo poo, looks amazing, great work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

VelociBacon posted:

What's insane to me is that when you check out youtube car channels where they're doing a similar scope of project there will be like a month of work between updates and they're getting done what fuzzkill seems to get done in a week while also presumably working somewhere.

True, but filming / editing probably at least halves the productivity time. I'm guessing Fuzz also has no children.

Regardless, Fuzz is awesome and his cars are awesome.

• Locked thread