Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Oh man I want that land! I think I might be able to do an extra single on my property but it'd be pushing it.

This is gonna be a great garage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Any termite tough enough to live encased in freshly poured concrete is one that's too tough to live.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Requesting more pictures of the dog.

Raluek posted:

I believe this is the original build thread for the Corolla, although I do not myself have archives to verify this:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2813206

That's the one, but waffleimages has hosed the dog and ruined the first couple pages at least.

Here's the moneyshot though:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Jesus. It's just now dawning on me just how big this garage is. That truck looks downright teeny.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Think I'll ask a question here:

I'm sick of my lovely light in my garage. I usually burn a bulb out a year, and I'm sick of climbing up and replacing my plain old 60w incandescent bulbs. I'm thinking of ripping out the fixture and putting in 2 pieces of a fluorescent fixture, each with 2 T8x48" 32W bulbs.
Good idea?

Yeah, sounds like a good setup. You can get some combination T8/radiant heater fixtures now too, which might be a nice addition for one or two of the lights.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

8ender posted:

My T8's do well up until about -20C and then they'll take a while to warm up. The ballasts on the cheap ones are total poo poo though. I've had three go bad.

I'm trying to figure out right now how to replace the ballast in a fluorescent light. One of the 80s-era T12 fixtures in my kitchen finally grenaded itself so I bought a $16 solid-state ballast off Amazon.

First step: unwiring it from the series of other fixtures so I can remove it from the ceiling.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
So sweet.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

FuzzKill posted:

I'm chomping at the bit to when I can walk into the shop and flip a light switch - we'll be living like kings I tell you!
drat hell rear end kings!

Sweet lighting.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Oh man now the really good parts start. We have the setting, but we need the actors.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Flip a 924.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Whoa, cool truck and a good find.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Toyota, you just got FuzzKilled. Prepare your butterflies for forced induction.

(Did they make the TRD supercharger kit for that gen of truck?)

((Why flip, when you can roll?))

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You better do some crazy poo poo in that garage now that you have a lift.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Sporty! I'm a little surprised they put bags on a truck.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Nice Z! I'd probably keep the engine that's in there right now, weird as that is to say in a FuzzKill thread.

Maybe go to Megasquirt, a 280ZX transmission and twin turbochargers just to be safe.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That's a good engine choice. How trucky is the cam?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I don't know if the '73 is too new for it, but in '71 they had this weird mechanical turn signal switch. It was probably fine when it was new but has aged terribly.

Frequently there are some little bits of plastic that wear out, but they are probably a good candidate for 3D printin'. There is a plastic grommet that the lever latches into that is probably hogged out and has been hacked together by the PO.

http://hooniverse.com/2014/07/16/project-car-sotu-the-1971-datsun-240z/

I would make sure you are actually getting brake lights as well, as they run both brake light and blinkers through the same circuit. On the Bluebird SSS of the same era, they actually built Mustang-style progressive turn signals into the same system, and implemented it with a camshaft in a breakout box, as you can see here.

Rear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChH--ndoofc

Front:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X0pVejZE0A

Nowadays I feel like I would just adapt a more available electronic turn signal switch into the column and use a microcontroller to do fun stuff.

edit: Yep, looks like it was 1970 through 78, at least according to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfpxxZMyxQs

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 10, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
5 sided bolts are like the biggest gently caress you in the fastener world. I can't imagine doing that without enough clearance to swing a hammer and chisel.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You should go burn down the house of the guy who sold it to you.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

SouthsideSaint posted:

He has a four door Fairmont that runs 9 secs....holy shitballs that's amazing and only feeds my lust for those turds

It's the fifth one he's built, too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Impressed at how clean that battery tray is. Usually that's where the rust starts.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Wow, you have U-joint axles that actually survived to the present day. Those should be in a museum somewhere.

If you decide to abandon the Q45 quest, Wolf Creek makes some great (at a cost) replacement CVs with 930-style joints that will take the power. You can also use Subaru rear diffs which come from the same family.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 27, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It takes more than just a dead Subaru engine to be a cool kid.

Usually also funny decals or a short story about the local evo dealer trying to steal away your mom.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

FuzzKill posted:

Well past 100k, problem is so prevalent that Dorman makes a new TCM for them. Figured the TCM on the 30k unit would be fine and it was. I did have it flashed with the latest calibration after installation though.

It's remarkable that they hosed up so bad that Dorman was able to reverse-engineer and fix it. I wonder if they're hiring. What goes wrong with them that the Dorman unit fixes?

Christ, maybe I should be flipping these.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

some texas redneck posted:

Didn't Dorman come out with a replacement 4.6/5.4 intake manifold that fixed the OEM manifold's tendency to crack?

I think an intake manifold is a little less complex than a transmission control computer, but yeah Dorman has made a ton of bad rear end stuff that fixes OEM idiocy.

They have a form on their website where you can submit parts ideas and enter into their contest. I always put an idea in when I have to buy a dealer-only part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Why is the award a green shoe?

• Locked thread