Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm trying to figure out right now how to replace the ballast in a fluorescent light. One of the 80s-era T12 fixtures in my kitchen finally grenaded itself so I bought a $16 solid-state ballast off Amazon.

First step: unwiring it from the series of other fixtures so I can remove it from the ceiling.

You can replace ballasts in situ. Don't be an idiot and you'll be fine. Follow the wiring diagram on the ballast itself, completely ignoring how the old ballast was hooked up. You may end up with too many or too few wires going to the tombstones in the wrong configuration: it's not the end of the world, just wire the thing up right.

For the other posters: if your winters are seriously cold, look at T5s instead of T8s. The smaller lamp and (generally) better ballast makes those things great. I did an rear end-ton of 8-lamp T5HO high-bay lights in a refrigerated warehouse area and they work great. Also, the "32W" T5HO is like a 50 or 60W equivalent in T8; they really pump out the light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Slugworth posted:

I.... I mean....... Does it really work? It's such a beautiful thought.....

Ideal makes a kit for sucking lines through various-sized pipes. It's got flanges and foam and o-rings and seals and gaskets and tensioning locknuts and all this.

We just used wal-mart bags on pulling string. It works like a champ.

Also, upsize your pipe to 2", unless you already have a 2" in there, in which case put an additional 4" in. Pipe is cheap, pull string is cheaper, digging ditches is a pain in the dick. You never know when you want to pull in 100' of HDMI cable with the ends still attached.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Hanging fixtures from a ladder like that SUCKS. That is absolutely a 1-day job on a scissor lift. Looks good, though.

• Locked thread