Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Feenix posted:

Just about any racing game that features any sort of realism and car classes whatsoever... Gran Turismo has the most slow and boring starter cars ever. EVER.
So, it's faster than Gran Turismo. Noted. :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I dunno man. Sorry I didn't list out every loving game that has slow car class starters. Of the games I have played and remember, it's got some of the best sense of speed around. Take it or leave it I guess.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Driveclub is much more arcadey than Forza and presumably GT although I never got into that so I'm not sure. You can slam into walls with basically no penalty and drifting (while fun) isn't realistic. It's more sim than, say, Burnout, and it's closer to Forza than it is to Burnout, but it's still somewhere between those two.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Driveclub is much more arcadey than Forza and presumably GT although I never got into that so I'm not sure. You can slam into walls with basically no penalty and drifting (while fun) isn't realistic. It's more sim than, say, Burnout, and it's closer to Forza than it is to Burnout, but it's still somewhere between those two.

Yeah. It apes a realistic sim, with classes, and general feel. In the specifics, however, it trades a lot of realism and nuance for speed and fun. It doesn't completely betray how cars should feel, but makes enough concessions to keep it fast and fun.

[edit] In other news, boy it sure would be nice if they opened their mouth on, well, just about anything at this point, seeing as it's been 7 days here with a broken game.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 13, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Feenix posted:

I dunno man. Sorry I didn't list out every loving game that has slow car class starters. Of the games I have played and remember, it's got some of the best sense of speed around. Take it or leave it I guess.

Okay, so instead of "Forza 5 and uhhhhhhhhhhhhh" it's "Gran Turismo and uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Great Joe posted:

Okay, so instead of "Forza 5 and uhhhhhhhhhhhhh" it's "Gran Turismo and uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Yes. Precisely. You win the internet today.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
For class based racing games it basically is GT, Forza and 'uhhhhhhhhh.'

I guess there's Grid? It probably has a good 5% of the total class based racing game playtime so you can throw that in there.

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
Throwing my PSN name out there:

SA: OMGzKakaniz
PSN: OMGzKakaniz

I'm new to driver games in general and really enjoying this but need more friends. And a club. A club would be nice.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
PSN Popehoist, really enjoying this game.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
"Continual upgrades to the DRIVECLUB servers are building a steady increase in performance, meaning that we're getting more and more players connected.

The next server update is coming within 24 hours and will mean we can start to switch on more of the online features, so that you will be able to play more of DRIVECLUB online.

We are sorry that we don't have more concrete news to share right now, but please be patient. We will have more information for you tomorrow."

Hear that guys? More people are being connected! Hooray! Rejoice, even if that person isn't you!

Blah. Whatever. So glad they can start to switch on more online features even though I cannot connect at all.

[edit] PS: It would seem all the rep and such you are earning while you are stuck only in single player *DOES NOT* retroactively add to your club (if you are part of one) once you connect online. Sooooo.. yeah...

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

For class based racing games it basically is GT, Forza and 'uhhhhhhhhh.'
Not sure why we're suddenly constrained to "class based racing games" now when the comment that started this whole thing said "most other racing games". Especially when almost every racing game ever has differing classes.

edit: Look, I just wanna know if it actually feels fast or if you're talking out your rear end, is that too much to ask?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Great Joe posted:

Not sure why we're suddenly constrained to "class based racing games" now when the comment that started this whole thing said "most other racing games". Especially when almost every racing game ever has differing classes.

edit: Look, I just wanna know if it actually feels fast or if you're talking out your rear end, is that too much to ask?

It feels faster than any game that has ever started me out in hatchbacks and "regular" cars. But I am bent over talking out of my rear end. So, you know, grain of salt.

[edit] And yes I said "most other racers" But I also said "Hatchbacks" in the same sentence. Context is important. Lots of racers exist where you are just given fun race cars. Then there are class-based racing games that start you out in hot hatches and the like... In THOSE games, the early races tend to feel pretty loving slow. This game has way better sense of speed.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 13, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

No weasel words.

Which. Games'. Hatchbacks.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Feenix posted:

In THOSE games
See this. This bad. Give names.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Forget I said anything.

I don't feel like listing out and remembering every class based racer that has had slower sense of speed in my long history of gaming just so that you can feel good about being interested in it.

Let's just say Gran Turismo(s) and Forza(s) so we can move on.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Feenix isn't being obtuse; at the earliest stages in the most "gimped" cars available, Driveclub does feel much faster than any other racing game whether arcade or sim.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Great Joe posted:

No weasel words.

Which. Games'. Hatchbacks.

Feenix posted:

Just about any racing game that features any sort of realism and car classes whatsoever... Gran Turismo has the most slow and boring starter cars ever. EVER.
I'll back him up that hatchbacks in GT and in the Forza series generally feel slow as poo poo-stuck-in-tar, it feels even worse once switch back after driving basically any high performance cars those games drown you in.
I don't know any other sim-ish racers that have hatches.
Blur had them but that was Not-Mario Kart.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Feenix isn't being obtuse; at the earliest stages in the most "gimped" cars available, Driveclub does feel much faster than any other racing game whether arcade or sim.
Alright, so now it's faster than F-Zero GX and San Francisco Rush. That's quite a jump from Gran Turismo.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I said class based games because comparing the lowest class to NASCAR games doesn't make any sense, but if this is what you're after: Yes the hatchbacks feel fast compared to Forza's lowest class. Yes the higher classes feel fast compared to just about any racing game I've ever played. It's an opinion so I don't know how much more quantitative I can get.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Joe you're being pedantic as gently caress.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Great Joe posted:

Wait, it has that? Every vid I've seen of the game has been slow as gently caress.

Oh gently caress yes. Once you start unlocking supercars and they pair them with courses with longer stretches of road, it feels like you're just going to lift off into the air. Everything becomes a blur and the camera shake is just enough that you get a sense that one wrong move and everything will go horribly, horribly wrong. Like I said before, it was the perfect scratch for the itch of wanting to go fast after watching people scream around a track at 150+ miles an hour in that movie yesterday.

It does help that I drive almost exclusively in cockpit view, so I'm not sure that it translates as well from the outside view. The nose cam coupled with the motion blur could probably make a Pinto look like it's going light speed, though, so there's always that.

[edit] Whoa, forgot to refresh to see all the latest replies. :gonk:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Okay, so I took a look at this one gameplay video (aston martin in norway) and as it turns out, yeah it looks pretty fast, about on level with Grid 2, but only when there's light on. Pretty much every recent video I've seen until now has been showing off the rain and nighttime lighting, which is when the biggest feeling-of-speed artefact gets removed, that being far-off background objects. This game does a lot with parallax and juxtaposing large and small objects, tiny roadside blockers with huge mountains. Those tend to disappear when visibility is low. Guess what rain and dark do.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I hate driving at night in the game. Hopefully when they add rain it isn't as bad. Night just makes everything invisible.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
For whatever it's worth, I complained about their measure of "improvement" on the comments of the Facebook page saying that I could not connect all weekend. They said it may have been their diagnostics interfering. Sounded like a crap excuse, but whatever. I mentioned it was no better today, and they said "just wait and try after PSN Maintenance."

I had been connected all day just fine (to other games) but whatever, so I just logged on and was instantly online and greeted by a "club progress screen." Didn't have to wait for anything to connect. After a few seconds the Multiplayer Events calendar populated and all is working nicely.

Maybe it'll stick?

[edit] Spoke too soon. Multiplayer Event Browser making GBS threads the bed.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 14, 2014

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I didn't try any multiplayer races, but I was connected for an entire 4 hour play session today.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Bottom line: being able to get online for x-amount of minutes more than the last successful connection is still woefully short of the mark.

Also since they're still doing the one-off, one-on network access, people's access might've simply improved today due to the fact that it's Monday.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Agree. But they claim they've improved things and the timing matches up so we'll see. :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
HAHAH just did an all BAC MONO race in multiplayer where I was aiming for the back of folks and my car would wedge under them, pop them over me, and I kept going... hilarity.

[edit] In Similar news, I cannot believe how bad you can get hosed over by someone tapping you from the back. I dread starting near the front of the pack. Seriously. Like getting spun backwards and coming in last place.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 14, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Is it like that even for heavier cars or does it just happen with the Mono?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Great Joe posted:

Is it like that even for heavier cars or does it just happen with the Mono?

Depends on which post you are asking about... if you mean the wedging, the Mono is the only car I have yet driven that has the shape to scoop under.

If you are asking about what cars can get spun the gently caress out by dirty/sloppy multiplayer opponents... it feels like just about all of them.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders
I've got 100 goons on my friends list and none of them are playing Driveclub. Help me fix that. SA: SA citizenlowell PSN: citizenlowell

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
Euro goon here who plays Driveclub SA: Zilkin PSN: Zilkin09 Would love to get a club invite!

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
It might just be because it's early on a Tuesday morning, but all the connectivity stuff is working fine for me now. The game actually connected as soon as I booted up for the first time since I got the game. I'm even seeing leaderboard times for friends!

Maybe we'll finally get a chance to level up our club and get those other cars. (I'm pretty sure we'd be club level 15 already if our offline fame counted.)

Edit: And of course, just after I post I get disconnected in the middle of an online race.

Aishan fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Oct 14, 2014

Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!

Zilkin posted:

Euro goon here who plays Driveclub SA: Zilkin PSN: Zilkin09 Would love to get a club invite!

Search for my club called Turbo Nerds, it should be open for anyone to join. Currently level 3 already.

Bruiser
Apr 4, 2007

by Shine
I STILL CAN'T GET ON AFTER A WEEK.

I connected ONCE for about an hour this weekend. I really loving like this game, but I'm approaching the end of what I can accomplish in single player. Are the servers still one in- one out?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yep, back to not connecting at all upon game boot up after a really good evening/night of connectivity. (Mostly, seems like every second multiplayer game would drop at the lobby.)

Gothmog
Aug 27, 2003

I'm a mental patient. I'm supposed to act out.
So an update on my refund. They denied it since I had trophies in Driveclub. The funny part was I talked to support last week and they told me that playing the game would not impact my refund status if the online did not get better. The support supervisor is escalating again, but this is bs.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
"You push me... I end you."

"Slice and Dice! Slice and Dice!"

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Feenix posted:

"You push me... I end you."

Best part of that is him respawning right in front of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Zilkin posted:

Best part of that is him respawning right in front of you.

That's actually not him. I thought that at first too. That has a white back. He was all orange.

• Locked thread