Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
insideoutsider
Aug 31, 2003

You want a van? I get you a van.

Doctor Candiru posted:

I believe this was cut after dress this week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKZSPELEvs

"He's trying to open a Capri Sun with an earthworm"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

So three out of five of the hosts so far have been (good, talented) former cast members, and the other two are Chris Pratt and Jim loving Carrey.

Why can't it be the 40th Anniversary season every year?

And more importantly, will we be seeing any of the remaining original cast coming back to host? I'd love to see Chevy, Dan, Jane, Lorrane, Garrett, and Bill Murray (I know that's not technically the first season, but he's loving Bill Murray) all in the same room again. Bring along Senator Al Franken to finally host one show's worth of Weekend Update and it will be perfect.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Bill Murray, as I understand, was supposed to host the premiere but that changed to Pratt for ~~*reasons*~~.

I'd honestly say the weakest host (announced or performed) thus far was Silverman and that whole episode was kinda weak. I'm flabbergasted at the Hader episode ratings though as I was laughing my rear end off the whole way through.

I think Carrey and Rock will both be great though. Carrey, if nothing else, commits like hell to what he's doing so that sells it more even if it's less clever.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

The next new one will do good numbers because a bunch of 14 year old shitlords will want to see Iggy Azalea be talentless on television.

on the other hand, dat rear end.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm hoping it means Charli XCX will be there too. I don't mind Iggy but Charli is great.

The live performance of Fancy I saw before was pretty ropey mind so don't expect much (I know you weren't anyway...)

J-Man X
Aug 18, 2004

Boxing Champion
drat, I'm going to be in New York the weekend that Chris Rock/Prince are doing SNL. My flight arrives on Friday at 8pm. What do you think the chances of me getting a standby ticket for the dress rehearsal are if I hightail it straight for 30 Rock?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Probably pretty good, but hey- I've never done it! :buddy:

Tonight we finally get the delayed SNL Vintage Christopher Walken / Christina Aguilera from April 8th, 2000!

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/99/99p.phtml

Another solid episode where it's hard to find stuff to cut. Even WU with Colin Quinn is one of the better ones, which isn't saying a lot, but Jacob Silj is worth watching. Jenny Jones and Sally O Malley sketches can go I suppose, and one of Christina's performances too.

SNL Vintage checklist
  • 1975 Richard Pryor / [no]Gil Scott-Heron (s01e07 O.A.D. 1975-12-13 SNLV 2014-09-27)
  • 1977 Steve Martin / The Blues Brothers (s03e18 O.A.D. 1978-04-20 SNLV 2014-10-04)
  • 1989 Alec Baldwin / The B52s (s15e18 O.A.D. 1990-4-21 SNLV 2014-10-11)
  • 1992 Alec Baldwin / Paul McCartney (s18e13 O.A.D. 1993-2-13 SNLV 2014-10-11)
  • 1999 Christopher Walken / Christina Aguilera (s25e16 O.A.D. 2000.4.8 SNLV 2014-10-18)

pwn fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 18, 2014

pwn
May 27, 2004

And now stand in amazement as I reduce this 5 minute sketch to 1.5 seconds:
code:
I'M FIFTY

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

pwn posted:

And now stand in amazement as I reduce this 5 minute sketch to 1.5 seconds:
code:
I'M FIFTY

To be fair, there have been dozens of recurring SNL sketches that could be boiled down to a simple word or phrase.

"Nobody knows if Pat is a man or a woman!"

"These people are from California and they talk funny!"

etc

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Retail Slave posted:

To be fair, there have been dozens of recurring SNL sketches that could be boiled down to a simple word or phrase.

"Nobody knows if Pat is a man or a woman!"

"These people are from California and they talk funny!"

etc

Hans and Franz speak like Schwarzenegger.

Wild and crazy guys are strange foreigners.

A A 2 3 5 8 K
Nov 24, 2003
Illiteracy... what does that word even mean?
Wait, why was J Mascis there at the end? Did he perform with Christina Aguilera? And did I imagine it or did the title screen say it was Walken's first time hosting, when it clearly wasn't?

pwn
May 27, 2004

A A 2 3 5 8 K posted:

Wait, why was J Mascis there at the end? Did he perform with Christina Aguilera? And did I imagine it or did the title screen say it was Walken's first time hosting, when it clearly wasn't?
Yeah, Mascis played a couple songs with the SNL Band, one of which was shown on-camera, they played "Out There." That little bit was cut. :( And I'm glad you caught the error at the opening card; it was his FOURTH time.

Guest musicians would sit in with the SNL Band frequently during the G.E. Smith era, and infrequently after that. I don't think anybody's sat in with the band in at least a decade. In a 2001 episode, Charlie Sheen, a lady played a theremin.

Cuts: Jenny Jones, a BIG chunk of Weekend Update (everything after the Elian Gonzalas jokes, up to Jacob Silj,) Sally O' Malley, last half of the credits.

The weird one was Aguilera. First song, “I Turn To You,” was cut. Her second performance was two shortened songs, “At Last” and “What A Girl Wants.” They used the introduction from her first performance and “What A Girl Wants.”

I did like that the opening sketch contained two opposing statements that would both end up being true: “I'm gonna be President” and “Al Gore's gonna win.”

And on tonight's rerun of the Chris Pratt episode, in the cold open, they've swapped out the flub-filled live version for the dress rehearsal version.

edit: I'll be able to upload that Mascis clip sometime early this week, if you want to see it.

pwn fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 19, 2014

A A 2 3 5 8 K
Nov 24, 2003

pwn posted:

edit: I'll be able to upload that Mascis clip sometime early this week, if you want to see it.

That would be cool. Out There was on the Wayne's World 2 soundtrack and was what got me into Dinosaur Jr.

pwn
May 27, 2004

A A 2 3 5 8 K posted:

That would be cool. Out There was on the Wayne's World 2 soundtrack and was what got me into Dinosaur Jr.
I didn't know that, and I have the WW2 OST, which I obviously never really listened to. Glad to oblige :)

This is a transfer from that year's Emmy screener. It cuts off the "Next Week" tease, but I figured it was worth it to go with the cleaner quality, compared to my OTA home recording (also it was much easier to locate in storage.) Click the photo to watch it on my Photobucket.

Let me know if it doesn't work; I'm running a Linux machine and haven't gotten Photobucket videos to play on here yet.

A A 2 3 5 8 K
Nov 24, 2003

pwn posted:

I didn't know that, and I have the WW2 OST, which I obviously never really listened to. Glad to oblige :)

This is a transfer from that year's Emmy screener. It cuts off the "Next Week" tease, but I figured it was worth it to go with the cleaner quality, compared to my OTA home recording (also it was much easier to locate in storage.) Click the photo to watch it on my Photobucket.

Let me know if it doesn't work; I'm running a Linux machine and haven't gotten Photobucket videos to play on here yet.

That's great, thanks. Would have loved to be in the audience that night.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
Oh hey, Leslie Jones just got promoted to the cast!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

I am so happy right now.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

I guess I just don't see what's so great about her. All I've seen her play is "angry black woman."

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

Monday was a good day today

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm so happy for Leslie. :woop:

(I need to get around to watching the rest of Hader's episode.)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Who's Leslie Jones? I mean, I've seen her in this season, but when she showed up, everyone was all 'yay, it's her!' and I don't remember seeing her ever before.

Also, yeah, she's really only playing the angry black woman character, at least so far.

KenjiKaizoku
Oct 21, 2008
Here's Leslie Jones from May of this year, in what I think was her first on-air appearance:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/631153

Sure, she might have only shown us the one type of character so far, but it's a drat funny one, IMO. Also, big props to her for getting promoted to full cast member.

KenjiKaizoku fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Oct 21, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

KenjiKaizoku posted:

Here's Leslie Jones from May of this year, in what I think was her first on-air appearance:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/631153

Sure, she might have only shown us the one type of character so far, but it's a drat funny one, IMO. Also, big props to her for getting promoted to full cast member.

Can't watch, not only am I Canadian, but I'm also at work, so no Hola Unblocker for me. What skit was it? I watched all of last year's episodes, so I know that I've seen it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

gently caress yes this news owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

If you're gonna post news in here, put a link in.

http://deadline.com/2014/10/leslie-jones-saturday-night-live-new-cast-member-856104/

According to Deadline she's a Featured Player, but then they also erroneously state that "she joins Pete Davidson as the second new player this Fall," apparently discounting Michael Che.

• Locked thread