Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
That should be 10/11. I messed up :doh:

Today's Games

Today In Baseball History
  • 1911 - The first MVPs are announced and Ty Cobb receives the maximum 64 points. The NL winner is Cubs outfielder Frank Schulte, with Christy Mathewson second. Both winners receive Chalmers automobiles.
  • 1925 - Walter Johnson wins his third straight World Series contest over two years, 4-0. A three-run home run by Goose Goslin followed by a solo shot by Joe Harris gives the Senators a 4-0 win and 3-1 Series advantage over the Pirates.
  • 1948 - In Boston, Cleveland nips the Braves 4-3 to take the World Series in six games. Rookie lefty Gene Bearden is the pitching hero in relief.
  • 1969 - Don Buford's leadoff home run starts a 4-1 Baltimore win over the Mets to open the World Series. Mike Cuellar bests Tom Seaver in what will be New York's only postseason loss of the year.
  • 1971 - Brooks Robinson ties a World Series record by reaching base five straight times on three hits and two walks as Baltimore rolls over Pittsburgh, 11-3. The defending World Champion Orioles hold a 2-0 Series advantage.
  • 1972 - Bob Moose's wild pitch in the ninth inning allowed George Foster to score the winning run as the Cincinnati Reds beat the Pittsburgh Pirates 4-3 and captured the NLCS in the fifth game.
  • 1975 - Boston's Luis Tiant shuts down the Big Red Machine and scores the first run as the Red Sox win the opening game of the 1975 World Series, 6-0.
  • 1980 - In one of the most exciting and controversial games in playoff history, the Phillies tie the NLCS with a 10-inning 5-3 win over the Astros in Game Four. In the fourth inning, Houston is deprived of an apparent triple play when the umpires rule that pitcher Vern Ruhle traps Garry Maddox's soft line drive. In the sixth, Houston loses a run when Gary Woods leaves the base early on Luis Pujols' would-be sacrifice fly
  • 1997 - One of the most bizarre endings in ALCS history, the winning run scores on a botched squeeze play. With Marquis Grissom racing home from third base, Omar Vizquel bunts and misses and the ball trickles a few feet from the plate. Orioles catcher Lenny Webster thinks it's a foul ball and loafs after it as Grissom streaks home for a 2-1 Cleveland win. Baltimore starter Mike Mussina strikes out an LCS record 15 batters in seven innings in the difficult twilight at Jacobs Field, but has nothing to show for it.
  • 2004 - After seven tries during their 43-year history, the Astros finally win a postseason playoff series when they eliminate the Braves in the deciding Game 5 of the NLDS, 12-3. It is the third consecutive year Atlanta has lost Game 5 of the division series at Turner Field.
  • 2009 - Admitting to a blown call, which led to the decisive run in the Rockies' 6-5 Game 2 NLDS loss to the Phillies at a very chilly Coors Field, home plate umpire Jerry Meals, after watching a post-game replay, states the ball that glanced off Chase Utley's leg should have not been considered in play.

Tedd_Not_Ed fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
Whoever it is that is doing this anthem sounds like he couldn't be more bored and/or drunk.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
I'm half expecting TBS to just stop broadcasting altogether sometime today. It's really the only way to top how poorly their broadcasting has been so far this playoffs.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
"We got Game 1 in without a delay..."
That doesn't count the one that you caused.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
Welp.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
Royals have forsaken the bunt for the bloop it seems.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
The one thing I will grant this TBS broadcast is that they provide Spanish audio without having to subscribe to an entirely different channel unlike FOX

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

I'm half expecting TBS to just stop broadcasting altogether sometime today. It's really the only way to top how poorly their broadcasting has been so far this playoffs.

Some Numbers posted:

And the broadcast broke! Thanks TBS!

It didn't on my end, but I called that

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
What's your cable provider? TBS and TNT often go out for me on Comcast

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

Asema posted:

lets spend all of this thread talking about it too

Well it's either this or talk about how terrible TBS is that will most likely be the common theme

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

Abel Wingnut posted:

what is a 'shutdown inning'? it sounds like it would be impossible to have anything other than a 0.00 era in a 'shutdown' inning but i guess not...

Wikipedia posted:

In baseball or kickball, a shutdown inning occurs when a team follows a half-inning in which they scored at least one run with a half-inning in which they allowed no runs. A shutdown inning is a statistic recorded for pitchers. Pitchers want to throw as many shutdown innings as possible, while opposing teams attempt to minimize allowing shutdown innings themselves; this is true because pitchers never want to give up runs, and opposing teams always want to score runs, regardless of what happened the previous half inning.

I'm also confused because it would seem like if they gave up a run it wouldn't be "shutdown," unless TBS means in "shutdown inning possibilities"

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

Rand alPaul posted:

I now hate it more than the Tomahawk Chop, probably because it has ruined a perfectly decent White Strips song.

I know. I used to use White Strips all the time to brighten my teeth but now I never can again.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
The Bloopiest of Bloop Games

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
A hit, a palpable hit.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
Adam Bomb

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

exethan posted:

schoop bloop mania

Scope Blope?

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
To whoever it was that tried to get on tv by pretending to be French, that's why you didn't get on. Your sign didn't mention TBS.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
The Bloopening Continues.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

L-Boned posted:

Huh? That ball was roped.

It was a bloop rope combo, pronounced like Schoop.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

Alan Trammell posted:

This is a very long game.

If we're lucky we'll have an excuse to not watch the NLCS game.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
Dyson... thrown... out? :monocle:

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
God dammit.

Kawalimus posted:

Game over.

Oh for Christ's sake, just shut up.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
As if it couldn't be worse some gently caress in my building pulled the fire alarm and I missed the os blow it

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
Well this is just loving fantastic. I now have to wait for security And the fire department to clear the building before I can go back in

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
I'm not sure who I should be the most mad at right now: Britton or the rear end in a top hat who thought it would be funny to pull a fire alarm at 8 pm in 50 degree weather.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

DeepDickPizza posted:

Go to the bar.

It's homecoming. The bar's been invaded by old fogies and parents of people I know.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
I walk in to my room finnally to see the Royals celebrating :(

I'm fine with the Royals taking this series but drat.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
Now I'm stuck watching the NL game. Why couldn't that dipshit have pulled the alarm now?

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

Kawalimus posted:

I hate them because this was MY team's year to win the world series again, and now these stupid pieces of trash ruined it. Just like Cleveland ruined the 1997 Orioles when it was their year.

You're panicking over having a two game deficit but let's take a look at just the history that happened today:

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

[*]1925 - Walter Johnson wins his third straight World Series contest over two years, 4-0. A three-run home run by Goose Goslin followed by a solo shot by Joe Harris gives the Senators a 4-0 win and 3-1 Series advantage over the Pirates.
The Pirates won that series 4-3.

quote:

[*]1971 - Brooks Robinson ties a World Series record by reaching base five straight times on three hits and two walks as Baltimore rolls over Pittsburgh, 11-3. The defending World Champion Orioles hold a 2-0 Series advantage.
The Pirates won that series 4-3.

quote:

[*]1980 - In one of the most exciting and controversial games in playoff history, the Phillies tie the NLCS with a 10-inning 5-3 win over the Astros in Game Four. In the fourth inning, Houston is deprived of an apparent triple play when the umpires rule that pitcher Vern Ruhle traps Garry Maddox's soft line drive. In the sixth, Houston loses a run when Gary Woods leaves the base early on Luis Pujols' would-be sacrifice fly
The Phillies overcame a 3-1 game deficit to win this series.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

The Pussy Boss posted:

actually the Giants were the 2nd wildcard so they are pretty much the scrappy underdog Cinderella team out of the NL. It's pretty heartwarming they made it this far, really. Inspirational.

The Giants were the second wild card only on a technicality. The Pirates and Giants had identical records but the Pirates had homefield thanks to the season series.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
:evenyear:

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

JosefStalinator posted:

does bochy's head fit in the size limits?

Yes. Designed it that way.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
Compared to the first game this one's seemingly zooming along.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
I actually like this sailor's voice

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
It's happening

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
Cut them off at the pass? I hate that cliche!

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

Everblight posted:

Mike Matheny has no idea what the rules of baseball are.

This is what convinced you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
I can't believe that I'm technically rooting for the Cards because that was bullshit.

• Locked thread