Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Reading the OP makes me a bit concerned about my power supply.

I have this power supply, which I got in 2008
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703005&RandomID=9690274781195420141011160758

I used the same power supply when I rebuilt my computer 2 years ago, with the following specs:
i5-3570K
ASRock Z77 Pro4
EVGA 760 (Was RMA for 660TI)

My question is, should I replace my power supply, being that it is older than 5 years (which is suggested time frame to replace?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Okay, well next question is, what power supply should I get? I don't OC.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

On the first few pages of this thread it was suggested to me to get a new power supply as mine is fairly old. Are Seasonic ones good? Particularly this one, SeaSonic m12II bronze

Also, are there any resources to determine the best way to maximize airflow in a case?

I have this case with one 120mm fan in the top blowing out, one 120mm fan in the back blowing out, and one on the side blowing out (should I change one to be blowing in?)

I haven't experienced any obvious overheating issues, but I never put a lot of thought into the setup other than "more fans must be better, right?"

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

The M12II is a good power supply, but it's an old design. It was a real workhorse for years and it's still quite passable, but SeaSonic has replaced it with their G platform, e.g. the SSR-550RM.

As for the airflow thing... is anything actually overheating? Because if not, you'd just be fiddling for the sake of fiddling. Too much airflow can be noisy for no purpose or even create vortex anomalies that inhibit proper airflow.

I'd move the side fan to the front, otherwise I wouldn't really touch anything. Maybe both the side and top to the front.

The reason I was looking at that PSU is because its on newegg shellshocker right now and I am exceedingly poor graduate student at the moment.

edit: Nothing seems to be overheating, but I had never considered placement of fans and just kind of stuck them in there.. I think when I put in the new PSU I'll move a fan to the front - I hadn't put one there before because my current PSU has a lot of extra wires that are stuffed in there.

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 18, 2014

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm currently replacing my PSU on the advice of this thread, and I saw that my CPU cooler was hella dirty so I took it off to clean it, but I didn't think about the paste. Should I get new thermal paste and apply it before turning this thing on?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Okay, replaced the PSU, cleaned everything out, cleaned off the old thermal compound, put new compound and got the cpu cooler back on it. Turned it on and it worked! Is there anything I should check before using it? I also moved a fan around.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm looking to replace my case, as the one I have is giving me cooling issues and I've tried all manner of moving fans around and such. The cable management is also pretty bad.

I currently have a really cheap ATX mid case. What are the preferred cases out there with good cooling/cable management?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I want to change my case to something better (and quieter), as I have never liked the one I have. I was looking at the R5, but it seems big for what I need, only having 1 SSD and 1 graphics card. I also figure I could ask if there is anything I could upgrade that would be worth it for the system.

ASRock Z77 Pro4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge Quad-Core 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K
1 x EVGA 03G-P4-3668-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti FTW+ 3GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card (Replacement for an RMA'd 660TI)
1 x CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model (It has BIG DUMB HEATSKINKS but I got it for $40 on a Newegg Flash in 2011 or so)
Samsung 840 1tb SSD
SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 1

I also only have the stock cooling on the CPU - maybe that is something I could upgrade along with the case, and OC it a bit to extend the life.

Essentially, is there a case that is smaller than the R5 that I could run those components in and have it be quiet and cool, while OCing a bit? Is there a CPU cooler I should look into?

Is it beneficial to have a large case with few components? Does it help with extra cooling? Seems like it could potentially inhibit airflow due to a lot of void space.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Ordered a new case from Newegg yesterday and it's getting delivered today. Not bad for free 4-7 day shipping.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Quick question on the evo 212: do I want the fan pushing air through the heatsink or pulling air through from the back?

I am bad with computers :saddowns:

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Anyone with the R5 case - did you use the fan controller that is built into the case? How exactly does that work? Will it not let the MOBO control fan speed? How did you set up fans? Two in the front, 1 in the back?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I have my fans hooked up to it. It's separate from the motherboard entirely. The control is behind the door and works in 3 positions for low, medium and high RPM use. My fans are setup with 2 intakes in front with the larger 3.5" drive cage removed and 1 exhaust at the back. The case only comes with 2 fans, but I picked up the same 3rd fan separately for this use. Positive pressure out the rear end in a top hat.

So the fan speed is only manually controlled and the MOBO does not change fan speeds based on temps? Do you mess around with the fan speeds often?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I was at MicroCenter today and they had a whole pallet of Coolmaster EVO 212's and a whole bin of Ballistix Sport RAM. Looks like one of their buyers read the OP. I should have taken pictures.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Have you overclocked the 2500k? You may get more benefit from upgrading the gpu over the whole system.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is the H7 favored over the EVO 212 these days?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

pr0zac posted:

Yeah generally. Reading into it cause I was confused about the switch, its cause the H7 is new and newer tech so performs better at the same price. Don't think anyone would recommend moving to the H7 if you already had the 212 though.

Hmm... I bought one but haven't put it in yet. Another item on the order needs to be returned anyway so maybe I'll return and reorder.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Did a case swap yesterday to the r5 but couldn't get it to boot with the ssd plugged in.

Turns out in retarded and had the sata power cable plugged into the pcie port on my power supply. Wish they had made the power supply retard proof and made the ports different shapes.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is there a preferred 970?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

There are a few 970s for each brand. Does it matter what one?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Got the computer transferred into the R5 case with H7 cooler. I turned it on and had to do a double take to message sure it was on because it's didn't sound like a jet engine.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Humphrey Vasel posted:

The H7 is pretty neat and a snap to install, I'm glad the thread pointed it out. Although the tube of thermal paste it came with was partially hardened and kind of a pain to squeeze out.

OFf topic: Also that was not the kind of meltdown I was expecting to see in the PC hardware thread.

The paste was kind of a pain... I'm contemplating redoing it because I'm not sure it's on there quite right. At the same time temps are down from what they were before, so I'm not sure if it's "good enough".

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Will be posting an SA Mart thread later, but would anyone be interested in an EVGA 4gb 760?

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 26, 2015

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Should 12800 udimm ram work with an i5-2500 on a asrock h77 pro4-m mobo?

This ram
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Balli...+-udimm+-sodimm

Phone posting sorry for poo poo link

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Poizen Jam posted:

I'm looking for a case that's:

-quiet
-airflow good enough for casual over locking
-no windows or case lights- as nondescript as possible.

In that order or priority.

So I narrowed it down to the BeQuiet Silent Base 800 based on suggestions in the OP of this thread. A friend also suggested the Fractal Design R4, and seemed insistent it was better.

Is it a toss up, preference issue or is one clearly better?

I have a windowless R5 and it fits all of these and is great. R5 is newer than r4 and if better and I think cheaper as well.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Antioch posted:

I agree, my R5 is awesome. It's a quiet black monolith and if it wasn't for the LED on the top/front I wouldn't know it was on most of the time.

The LED is super bright which is the only con I can think of for the R5. But yes, hard to know when it's on. So much better than my old $30 shitbox case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Warrior Princess posted:

The R5's slightly smaller sibling, the define mini, is also really good in my short experience with it so far.

This is a good point. I really do love the case, but as someone with a single gpu and s single ssd the R5 is pretty big. But it's just a black box so at least it isn't flashy and gaudy

• Locked thread