Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Great post factory, tons of good info here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Overture posted:

Any Bitfenix Phenom owners here? I've seen the Prodigy mentioned many times, but I like the look of the Phenom much more and don't care about having handles on the top of my case. LinusTechTips did a pretty awesome 2x 780 SLI build with a Phenom that I'm thinking about copying (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk45njIUvH0), though I'd be using 2x 970's instead and curious what others think about this.

The hardest part will be choosing between Black or White:

I'm in the same boat man. I'm trying to get my hands on 2x Asus 970's and I'm starting to lose hope.

They look nice, I like the white one personally. Calling it "clean".

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Null1fy posted:

That's awesome the Evolv case is finally coming out! My PC is going to finally be built!

As an aside that isn't mentioned in the thread: Phanteks CPU coolers come with thermal paste that is actually very highly rated and do not require a separate purchase of an aftermarket thermal paste.

Post some pics when you get it done. Looks like a nice case.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

nosl posted:

Question regarding my mobo and its functionality. Does it not boot UEFI and use some system which automatically boots Windows without UEFI somehow? If so, what kind of firmware does this? This is sort of imperative to my usage, since I will be using Windows, but my primary OS will be Gentoo Linux, and I might be reading the installation page wrong (for which I have asked for clarification on the Linux thread), but if I'm not, I want to double-check on the functionality of this motherboard.

How does it boot from devices exactly? What is this fast-boot nonsense?

From the ASRock Z170 Pro4 newegg page:

"Restart to UEFI

Fast Boot is so fast that it is impossible for users to enter the UEFI setup utility during POST. Therefore, ASRock Restart to UEFI technology allows users to easily enter the UEFI setup utility automatically when turning on the PC next time. It is designed for those who constantly need to enter the UEFI setup utility."

From the Gentoo Handbook (my OS's handbook):

"When installing Gentoo with the purpose of using the UEFI interface instead of BIOS, it is recommended to boot with UEFI immediately. If not, then it might be necessary to create a bootable UEFI USB stick (or other medium) once before finalizing the Gentoo Linux installation."

Does this mobo have UEFI+BIOS, or just BIOS? I'm probably just reading the installation wrong and I know this isn't a Linux help page. I'll post in the Linux topic as well, just freaking out slightly since I'm ordering this tomorrow.

Hm, I am not sure exactly what you are getting at maybe I need another cup of coffee.. But UEFI is like the same thing as a BIOS, it's just a newer prettier version that has been getting more popular the last few years. Has mouse supports often and pictures and poo poo. Fastboot is just a marketing thing, normally means if everything is the same it POSTs quickly.

• Locked thread