Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Seasonic 520W fanless PSU should be in there with the Silverstone 520W PSU; they're almost the same unit (Seasonic is Silverstone's OEM), but 7 year vs. 3 year warranty, iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Factory Factory posted:

They are the same unit. :v: But I missed that about the warranty. I'll switch it.

One has japanese caps, one korean, or something.

e: and the Silverstone has 2 pairs of 6+2 PCIe but the Seasonic only has 1, I think?

e2: Silverstone is all-Japanese, Seasonic "only uses Japanese electrolytic caps, also comes with polymer caps by a Korean manufacturer, Enesol."

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Silverstone/NJ520/11.html

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 12, 2014

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
970 for 1440p gaming, or 980?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Evolv.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's good backup software to synchronize a local done with a mounted network drive?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

lordfrikk posted:

Thanks! That was very informative.

I'd like to build a small-ish value gaming PC, so I'm looking at mini-ATX case. I presume the m.2 would be the best fit for that due to its small size, right? You said it can do up to PCIe x4 or regular SATA, does that mean it's actually slower than the the other two? Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I only know the PCIe goes up to 16x and that's for graphics card so my knowledge is severely lacking.

M.2 uses the PCIe bus, but the speed of the attached device is limited to a) the speed of the bus (some motherboards' M.2 support is x2, some x4) and b) the storage device's controller (some are SATA III, some are native PCIe). You'll only see a benefit over generic SATA III if the stars align. There are currently two PCIe M.2 consumer drives on the market: Plextor M6e (PCIe 2.0 x2) and Samsung XP941 (PCIe 2.0 x4).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hhdWwvh5kI

They have issues.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
the evo 212 sucks to install

there, i said it

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Factory Factory posted:

It'll if you have enough SATA plugs for all the drives you want, SLI compatibility I think, basic stuff like "CPU fits in board," and form factor - e.g. it won't let an ATX board go into a mini-ITX case or an ATX PSU in a case that can only take SFX.

It does not check CPU cooler clearance in the case, RAM heatsink clearance with CPU cooler, or power supply length clearance. Probably other things, too.

The power supply will be a little warmer. That's it.

It does CPU cooler clearance in the case.

e: or at least, with a PH-TC14PE as the only part in a parts list, there's definitely more cases listed with parts compatibility turned off than with it turned on, so something's happening

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think the thing with Antec right now is that you're getting a bunch of people who last built a computer like 3-4 years ago when Antec was the go-to line of cases/PSUs in this thread

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Factory Factory posted:

Fun fact, AMD didn't have any temperature control at first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06MYYB9bl70

ahahaha 370 degrees

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
So it's the 16th. Anyone see the Enthoo Evolv for sale anywhere?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
In BIOS or in Windows?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Probably drivers also, then

e: not showing up when you run diskmgmt.msc?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shima Honnou posted:

Nope. I assume it's drivers, I'm just unable to easily install the driver suite that comes with the motherboard because my optical drive is one of the two that isn't being seen at the moment :v: I'll (hopefully) get it eventually.

Well, if you're online, go to the manufacturer's site

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
no

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Still no Phanteks Evolv?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Lord Bude posted:

In order of best to worst, you should try and get Asus - MSI - Gigabyte - EVGA.

Why Asus over MSI?

The Lord Bude posted:

It's a nice looking case, but it will have substantially lower airflow, and it is very narrow - note that it only supports 2x 120mm fans at the front for intake, and one 120mm fan at the top for exhaust - no rear fan due to the narrow width. You'd have to either put a slim 240mm radiator over the intake fans, or go with a low profile cooler - it's too narrow for a proper air cooler. Note that there is also a cheaper Pandora Core - as far as I can tell the only difference is that the Core has a regular bitfenix logo at the front, whereas the regular pandora has a little LCD panel that displays a bitfenix logo, and can be changed to display some other logo of your choosing :jerkbag:. No way in hell would I buy it over the Evolv at the same price (or even a good deal less) unless I was buying it specifically for the compact form factor, and everything else was a secondary priority.

I don't think you need to use a slim 240mm; the drive bay at the bottom that'd block a thicker one is removable.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Any exception for >-8GB RAM if you're using Samsung RAPID, given that you lose something like 2GB of RAM?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm running a 2500k at 4.4 with a 212 evo at 35 idle, and stock fan's around 900 RPM. I don't know what everyone's saying that it can't hold an OC

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Worth going from a 560Ti to a 760 to tide me over until I put together a new computer eventually? Have a lovely EVGA 560ti that's loud as gently caress

I'm planning on keeping the computer in question around

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Any word on whether a PH-TC14PE will fit in an Enthoo Evolv?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alternatively, are the noise issues with CLC water cooling bad if you swap out the fans for better fans?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
enthoo evolv is up to order on amazon, showing up as out of stock

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scott Forstall posted:

I'm upgrading from a EVGA 560ti to a ASUS Strix 970. I went to nvidia's site to get the latest drivers for the 970 and then checked my current drivers in Geforce Experience and they are the same. With GE, do I need to still uninstall and reinstall when I get to the process of actually swapping the cards or can I just power down, swap the cards, and reboot?

(Win 7, 64-bit)

Same, but to MSI

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
a few hours until my 970 makes it here in the mail

come on you bastard

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you don't give a poo poo about the nvidia free game, the codes are selling for like $40 on ebay, so call it a rebate

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Looking to replace an Acer Revo Aspire something something nettop that's slow and loud as poo poo.

Needs:
play mkv over SMB share
web browsing

Chromebox looks great, except it seems like you can do one or the other, but not both at the same time, unless Kodi has some kind of web browser these days.

Any other solution to look at?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crackbone posted:

Intel NUCs, although they are more pricey. There's also the "NUC-alikes". Although typically we don't recommend Gigabyte products they have a BRIX Celeron 2807 barebones that's totally fanless and will take 2.5" drives for ~$100. No idea on overall build quality but on features it's a great machine.

Went i3-4010U NUC

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
My PSU seemed like it was on its last breath, so I went out and got a Seasonic X-series. While I was shopping, I also decided to replace my 3-year-old case with a new one.

I replaced an NZXT Vulcan with a Thermaltake Core V21

Case design's come a long way in the past three years. It took me almost twice as long to disassemble the computer from the old case as it did to install everything in the new case.

I highly recommend the horizontal-layout cube design for anyone building a ITX or mATX system. They're just so drat easy. to work on.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
If I've got an i5-2500k at 4.5 GHz, there's still no real reason to upgrade, no?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

For gaming? No.

For multimedia editing? Possibly.

honestly the only thing that was making me even think upgrade was USB 3.0 and my motherboard, but I just got a PCIe card so problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

This is maybe a long shot but I'm trying to build inside a Thermaltake Core V21 case and it's going pretty well except that there's a stupid bracket I'm supposed to put around my power supply that I can't figure out at all. Has anyone built in one of these before? I've got an EVGA SuperNova G2 550w power supply

edit: Actually do I really even need this?? I don't know anything about anything but I think I might be fine without it. Any insight tho?

It's for if you reorient the case such that the PSU isn't on the bottom.

• Locked thread